It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:49 pm 

Jason Goff wrote:
No favors are done in business. When I make it to where I want to be it won't be because of a favor.
!

I really hope you don't believe this, expecially with a five days a week Larry Holmes show slapping you in the face.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

If you have talent - like Bernstein - you don't need any favors. Everyone sees it. If you're not a great talent - and the Score has had plenty of bad through the years - you do have to know somebody and be liked and/or kiss ass to get in the door. Then you sink or swin once given the chance. (See "Larry & Hamp" & "Hood & Buffone" & "Buffone & Van Lier" & all of the combos of North's shows)

I don't think their is great talent on the Score bench right now. Everyone of them needs to suck up to get the next available prime time show. The new back ups that Mitch has hired aren't good either. Except for Rosie. He and Bernstein would be a good show.

But I don't think it matters now. The SCORE is set for at least 2 or 3 years. I'm talking about their day part lineup. Maybe nights will open up. But they have the Sox and a lot of other games at night anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Jack Bauer wrote:
doug - evergreen park wrote:
close....P.E.

I thought it was P. A.

:thumright:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:13 pm 

Beardown wrote:
If you have talent - like Bernstein - you don't need any favors. .

I love the naivete of some of you.

You seriously don't think Bernstein has had a little nudge from the right person at any point in his career?

There is nothing wrong with getting a little help AND achieving.

The self made man is a man working an entry level position his entire career.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Allegro con Pizza
Drinky and Goff are really just glorified interns. I don't really think they or their bosses take the prospect of them having any kind of a real "career" seriously. They make a little more than interns, get benefits, and you throw them a few minutes of airtime here and there and you have a reliable grown man working for you until he's 60 without the transience and unreliability of a 20 something intern. He always thinks his chance is just around the corner...but it isn't...just mirrors. Good business strategy for the station but no career for these guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Magnus Buchan wrote:
Drinky and Goff are really just glorified interns. I don't really think they or their bosses take the prospect of them having any kind of a real "career" seriously. They make a little more than interns, get benefits, and you throw them a few minutes of airtime here and there and you have a reliable grown man working for you until he's 60 without the transience and unreliability of a 20 something intern. He always thinks his chance is just around the corner...but it isn't...just mirrors. Good business strategy for the station but no career for these guys.

mult...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Nicola's
Kashi GoLean Crunch. It's an ordeal to eat but in my house it's referred to as "crack."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:
If you have talent - like Bernstein - you don't need any favors. .

I love the naivete of some of you.

You seriously don't think Bernstein has had a little nudge from the right person at any point in his career?

There is nothing wrong with getting a little help AND achieving.

The self made man is a man working an entry level position his entire career.

Of course. But Bernstein did stand out. I don't think he has the personality that you just love him and want to do him a favor. He probably didn't act like an ass to management before he got a daypart show, but that goes without saying. Buffone got to work with North in afternoons. That was cuz North got that for him. You honestly think anybody thought Buffone had talent? Other people have gotten dayparts cuz the station was in transition and they had to fill the slot before they figured out what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East - Pepperoni & Garlic Deep Dish
Magnus Buchan wrote:

Where you been dipshit?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 pm 

Jalapenos and More wrote:
Kashi GoLean Crunch. It's an ordeal to eat but in my house it's referred to as "crack."

Echo!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Panther pislA wrote:
Jason Goff wrote:
No favors are done in business. When I make it to where I want to be it won't be because of a favor.

That is where you are dead wrong.

Business is all about who you know 1st, and what you know 2nd.

Look at Tiny. The defense rests, Your Honor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Jason Goff wrote:
After your favor has been done and you can't do the job, all you're left with is brown stuff on your face.

What the hell does Ted Danson have to do with anything?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Don Tiny wrote:
Jason Goff wrote:
After your favor has been done and you can't do the job, all you're left with is brown stuff on your face.

What the hell does Ted Danson have to do with anything?

That's almost "Dennis Miller" territory. Obscure references...LOVE 'EM!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:16 pm 

by the way, the idea that if you just sit in your office/cubicle with your head down, working really hard you will succeed is the business equivalent of a fire and passion argument

Let's be clear here MOST PEOPLE CAN DO MOST OF THE JOBS IN THIS WORLD EQUALLY WELL....probably 1% are so specialized only the best can do them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
good dolphin wrote:
by the way, the idea that if you just sit in your office/cubicle with your head down, working really hard you will succeed is the business equivalent of a fire and passion argument

Let's be clear here MOST PEOPLE CAN DO MOST OF THE JOBS IN THIS WORLD EQUALLY WELL....probably 1% are so specialized only the best can do them.

if educated and trained properly, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:22 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

if educated and trained properly, yes.

yes, I should have included that...and this gets even further to the point as in many cases the quality and level of education you receive is luck of the draw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
good dolphin wrote:

Agreed, that's why I think its BULLSHIT that I'm losing out out on these FUCKING JOBS to these people that may have done one thing a year or two longer than me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:27 pm 

Mac,

I agree that you and Speigs should have the majority of the say as to who pinch hits when you guys aren't in. Teddy G. does nothing for me whatsoever - but I'm not really a 'college football' or 'golf' guy, and that may explain it.

I enjoy when Laurence is the substitute host. He's articulate, engaging and self-deprecating.
Corey McPherrin is good too, as long as your Program Director and Station Manager aren't going to a Paul Revere and the Raiders concert in Aurora that day.

I also think you should take a page from your old playbook and not try to be all things to all people at the station. Even if you used to work with them. Times change.. people change..

...and for what it's worth, I know a two meter tall bohemian that would love co-pilot the show too when he's not busy updating his facebook.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
The only people who succeed are those who can market themselves.

On kind of a different tact, whatever happened to Eric Beverly? From near- cohost with Nort to trivia question, seemingly overnight. I mean, evidence of Shakey can still be discerned...

Anyway, if Bernstein wants/doesn't want to push Jason/Drinky, or doesn't want us to know about whether he does or doesn't, or he has better things to do than to get pressured by one/all of us to push these guys... who are we, one way or the other?

Pick up the damned phone, and personally make your desires known. You don't need surrogates. You don't WANT surrogates.

OT: do you guys ALL have enormous stock photo libraries? Just curious...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:35 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Agreed, that's why I think its BULLSHIT that I'm losing out out on these FUCKING JOBS to these people that may have done one thing a year or two longer than me.

Try playing that the other way. Who've done it for less time, and being more junior, are paid less. Oh, you think going in at their pay rate might help? Nope; they're afraid you'll bolt as soon as economy is better.

Edit: Another guy with a photo library. If its a movie scene, I don't get it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:38 pm 

35thStreet Slick wrote:
I enjoy when Laurence is the substitute host. He's articulate, engaging and self-deprecating.

We've found one! A Holmes fan!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:51 pm 

Beebo wrote:
spmack wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Try playing that the other way. Who've done it for less time, and being more junior, are paid less. Oh, you think going in at their pay rate might help? Nope; they're afraid you'll bolt as soon as economy is better.

Edit: Another guy with a photo library. If its a movie scene, I don't get it...

Google Images

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Echo (echo, echo, echo, followed by R. Kelly yodeling) the sentiments re: Kashi GoLean Crunch.

Love reading when you all (esp. Good Dolphin and Beebo) wax philosophical about jobs/working/professional life. I'm in a similar position to Spmack in that I'm looking for work at one of the worst ever times to do so, and it's an odd comfort to have some notions reinforced by people who are a bit further along in their careers. Trick seems to be to not allow any of this knowledge develop into crippling pessimism.

Mac's posts are a little TMI for my taste, but I appreciate that he does what he does and respect where he's coming from. Same goes for pretty much everyone at the station, regardless of whether or not I want to know about the gory details. The edge at 670 will always be personality.

And I totally missed IB's switch to VJ.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

suckers playground wrote:
Love reading when you all (esp. Good Dolphin and Beebo) wax philosophical about jobs/working/professional life. I'm in a similar position to Spmack in that I'm looking for work at one of the worst ever times to do so, and it's an odd comfort to have some notions reinforced by people who are a bit further along in their careers. Trick seems to be to not allow any of this knowledge develop into crippling pessimism.

Well, we are all in the same boat, then. You need to talk to some of the recruiters from Hyperabad that I get to develop that deep quality pessimism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
:lol: My bad, always just sort of assumed you were a working professional from the stuff you post here. Either way, you're still further along than I am.

Re: recruiters/headhunters, I get multiple emails each and every day from one of the worst in the city (initials CC, not going any further than that just in case) for my line of work. It's my daily dose of :eye: :twisted: :shock: and :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:18 pm 

suckers playground wrote:
And I totally missed IB's switch to VJ.

Wait, what?

Edit Oh, i see now. I missed it too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:01 pm 

Mac,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
jimmypasta wrote:

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN...

This has to be someone's signature.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next