It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 am 

Jack Bauer wrote:
suckers playground wrote:
And I totally missed IB's switch to VJ.

Wait, what?

Edit Oh, i see now. I missed it too.

Can you dumb it down for me a little. Are Irish Boy and Villanova Jim a product of the same uninteresting entity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:00 am 

A friend got me a job making 7 $ an hour in 2001. Since then the two managers Ive had have recommended me for promotions/higher positions in the company. Both went out of their way to vouch for me.

They vouched for me because I was good at my job and worked hard.

However, without them vouching for me, I would be unemployed or making half of what I make now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Rogers_Park_Bryan,
You are right. Everybody needs somebody to help them in the workplace. You hopefully earn that help by doing a good job. Of course if your born with a silver spoon in your mouth,that is a whole different story. Most of us have to work for our meager raises/promotions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
Pappy's Crappy wrote:
35thStreet Slick wrote:
I enjoy when Laurence is the substitute host. He's articulate, engaging and self-deprecating.

We've found one! A Holmes fan!

I don't understand the rancor here over Holmes.
The guy is articulate...that might be the problem for some...and he knows what the hell he is talking about.

WOO LIFE!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:29 am 

Aggravated Sox Fan Bob wrote:

I don't understand the rancor here over Holmes.
The guy is articulate...that might be the problem for some...and he knows what the hell he is talking about.

Yes he does. He is reiterating Bernstein's points.

Cmon Bob he's terrible, even for Hooterville

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:00 am 

By the way drinky and Goff, you should look at yourselves as the mentor to your interns (I don't know if you do or do not). You have the opportunity to impact some lives.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Langel's
good dolphin wrote:
By the way drinky and Goff, you should look at yourselves as the mentor to your interns (I don't know if you do or do not). You have the opportunity to impact some lives.

Great point Good Dolphin.

Not to de-rail the thread too much (and this is probably going to be a bit scatterbrain), but I owe ton of gratitude to Mac while I was an intern for him back in '97. I don't know if Mac thought of himself as a mentor to me, but I feel like I learned alot from him. I wasn't the best intern, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't the worst. I really did appreciate the way I was treated by Mac, Terry, Spiegel & Fish. Those were absolutely wonderful memories.

During my time there, both Mac & especially Spiegs would go out of there way to show me things and give words of advice. Terry, not so much. Like Dan mentioned in the beginning of the thread, Terry kept people at arms length and usually saw interns as a bit of an annoyance. He wasn't mean to them, but he just didn't really want to have much to do with them...doesn't make him bad, just not interested.

Some things I learned from Mac:

1. Don't call him Mr. McNeil. Did that my first day there, really embarrassing. :oops: :eye:
2. Don't be afraid to be who you are.
3. Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way, consider all the options and weigh the pros and cons. Most of all, nerver completely discard any opportunity.
4. The 6 P's- Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
5. Have all carts stacked neatly so.....wait that doesn't apply anymore. :wink:

Those are just some I can think of off the top of my head.

So that's why I'm part of DaMaNa ALS. The way that he's impacted my life the most though, is to not give up (that of course coincides with the suicide thread). I don't think he ever said that to me directly, but his actions and his stories from his life make me think that way.

So there, I'm sure there's alot wrong with this grammatically. Just felt I needed to share that.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 pm 

The interns aren't really our interns since Bernstein is our boss and all.... : )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:00 pm 

Oh, and we ARE just glorified interns anyway...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
You both (Matt & Jason) seem to only focus on the negative things said by a small percentage of this board. The mostly positive comments and encouragement seem to go unnoticed for the most part. Kinda strange. Is is like an us against the world thing that sports teams do? :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
sports = soap operas for men.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:31 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
sports = soap operas for men.

EXACTLY. moreso- sports ARE soap operas, the only difference is sports is real. women follow soap operas just to see where their favorite actors end up in the story... men follow sports just to see where their favorite players or teams end up in the story. theyre exactly the same thing, just one is real.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

drinky wrote:
The interns aren't really our interns since Bernstein is our boss and all.... : )

Why are you insulted that people say Bernstein is your boss? Why does that bother you? He is your boss. You work for the show and he is in control of the show. If he tell you to get a guest, you do it. If he says to get some sound, you do it. You answer the phones for him. You shouldn't take Bernstein being your boss as an insult. He's a good boss. He lets you and Goff say mean things to him and you can say "fuck you" to him. You worked for Murph. You should be happy that Bernstein is your boss.

Oh wait...you can't respond to me. I'll ask the board. Why does it bug Drinky when people say that Bernstein is his boss?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Because Berns isn't his boss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Krazy Ivan wrote:
You both (Matt & Jason) seem to only focus on the negative things said by a small percentage of this board. The mostly positive comments and encouragement seem to go unnoticed for the most part. Kinda strange. Is is like an us against the world thing that sports teams do? :D

That's the head scratcher for me too....that was the point I (and Kid Cairo at times) have made about both of them when we say that they only respond to Beardown and his conspiracy theories.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:14 pm 

Beardown wrote:
drinky wrote:

Why are you insulted that people say Bernstein is your boss? Why does that bother you? He is your boss. You work for the show and he is in control of the show. If he tell you to get a guest, you do it. If he says to get some sound, you do it. You answer the phones for him. You shouldn't take Bernstein being your boss as an insult. He's a good boss. He lets you and Goff say mean things to him and you can say "fuck you" to him. You worked for Murph. You should be happy that Bernstein is your boss.

Oh wait...you can't respond to me. I'll ask the board. Why does it bug Drinky when people say that Bernstein is his boss?

He's obviously anti semetic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Let's put it this way: If there is a problem between a talk show host and a producer, who do you think is gonna go? That means the talk show host is the boss. Once again, no producer should take this as an insult. It's about power and money. Who makes more? Who's more important to the show's success? Talent is always more important than the non talent in radio and TV. I don't think I'm saying anything controversial.

Didn't Murph go through a lot of producers? I think we've learned that through this board. Didn't that show that Murph was the boss? Of course. Isn't that why Drinky was thrilled that B&B rescued him? That's always the impression I got when "Team Bernstein" would do the "we hate Murph" round table.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:31 pm 

I'm not insulted, it's just incorrect information. I am the EP of the afteroon show. My boss is Mitch Rosen.

I say "thanks" when positive things are said, I respond when stupid things are said.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 pm 

Mac wrote:
For those who missed it, a few odd transitions have prompted questions and curiosity about Terry. He's made a few comments the past month or so about his friendship with me (his lack of interest in friendship in general). More recently, he brought up he's at odds with the station on some things and told me something like "It's not about you, but it has to do with you."

Terry is a tough putt to read. Let me try.

Terry doesn't trust many people. He depatred from that "keep-em-at-an-arm's-length mantra and trusted me about 18 years ago. I was a buddy and a reliable, trustworthy business partner. Boers is playful with almost everybody, but it's clear when somebody "wants in" just a little bit more, he has anxiety over friendship and pulls away. Long before Terry and I met, he lost a close male friend. They wrote at the Lansing Sun-Journal together and were attached at the hip in their early 20s. I didn't know a thing about this until after I quit the Score in 2000, when Boers told me he didn't want to know that pain again so he kept everybody at a distance, until about '92 when we launched the HFC.

My life has been more interesting with Terry in it. I've laughed a lot with him. Went through the death of mutual friend Gene Seymour in 1996 with him. Cried with him more than once, including at his sons' weddings. We partied and giggled at both of mine. I think the world of his wife Carol and so did my first wife. We were a pretty tightly knit group and it was a very satisfying time in my life... being in that circle of friends when the Score was young. There is nothing about Terry and his family that isn't genuine.

What he said recently about our run together and time spent together being a great thing for him is about all that needs to be said about our personal relationship.

On the work side, we've had just two discussions since June. He wasn't happy with my choice of Teddy Greenstein as a Spiegs sub this summer. After a few days of observing his overt withdrawal from transitions and from me, I called him and asked what's up. He said he still thinks Teddy G is a piece of shit and believes Jason and Matt should get some chances.

I told him that's a conversation he needs to have with Mitch. FTR, I'm all for giving Jason and Matt air time. We've been putting Jason on to talk Bulls. He's solid on Da Boo and gives us a much-needed connect with a younger audience. I hadn't thought much about having them partner with me on a non-Spiegs day, but I mulled it over for a several weeks.

In November, when I needed a sub in a pinch because Lawrence -- who was sitting in for Meatpants -- was sick, I asked Mitch for Jason and Matt and was denied. I asked for Teddy G and also was told no, so that none of the other guys' feathers were ruffled. This event marked the only one that's really gotten my blood up since I came back.

I told Mitch -- and Terry on the phone later that night -- that it was bullshit. I was jammed up at 7 a.m. waiting on Cory McPherrin's return call. Told 'em there is no f'in way I was starting the practice of getting permission from other hosts to do anything between 9 and 1. Can't do it. I told Terry I went to bat for Jason and Matt and was told no, so if I think Teddy G is what's best, that's what we're going to do. He didn't like it much.... went off about the stuff Teddy wrote when he was on sports media for the Tribune. I let him vent for a bit and then said "Stop. That's old shit, man. This is today and for today, I want the best sound possible coming out of the box." He went with it... it was handled calmly and he only requested when I have Teddy G in for Spiegel, or he's in for me with Matt, that his name not be mentioned in discussion. That was the end of it.

I have had discussions with Mitch about Jason and Matt and I've talked to Jason and Matt. They all have talked to each other. I'd be most comfortable if you asked THEM about this. Mitch is the program director. Get him, or Goff and/or Drinky, to answer these questions about the on-air roles. I'm only comfortable telling you about my small experience in this little web. We can have Jason in to do Bulls stuff. We will do that.

As for Terry's state of mind on the station... it could be a couple things. Terry didn't seem to want to do the B&B roast. As a favor to Mitch, and for the benefit of the station, I worked Terry on it so he'd do it. Told him all those years when management was kissing the Monsters' rings, he and I sometimes resented it. We never failed to credit Mike and Dan, but they went to several Super Bowls and other trips first and were treated like they mattered more. I told Terry the station, by the roast and recognizing 10 years of B&B, was making the statement "You're our franchise show." I don't think that's overstating it, either. Because I think this event means connecting with the audience, team building among air staff and producers, etc., recapturing the old Score fraternity house feel, I was pleased Mitch asked me to assist and get Terry on board. Terry's going to do the roast... and I think he'll enjoy reminding me that "I wouldn't be doin' this is if I didn't let your dumbass talk me into it." It'll be a fun event and the first chance for getting all the shows and many listeners together for a night of revelry.

Terry's "weirdness" the last year or so also could be he's feeling his age and isn't thrilled with doing five hours a day. That extended shift started when I came back. Maybe he connects them. Remember?: "It's not about you, but it has to do with you." He knew I was stoked for the return of transition, but that I had nothing to do with them having to start at 1. I suspect it's this or the other thing I mentioned above. Maybe it's both. Maybe it's that Terry likes to have people guessing about what's going on between his ears.

In summation, the truth is that we've been enjoying the vibe between the shows lately. It's a much healthier culture at the station now. And winning helps that enormously. All three major dayparts beat ESPN in the fall book. In December, all three shows were No.1 M25-54. Ratings wise and for diversity of shows, plausible arguments could be made the Score has never been better.

Even though I lost a lot of my fanhood of you because of you putting hate of Lovie ahead of your fandom of the Bears which makes me wonder if you've ever been a fan of the team this was good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dan McNeil would always say that Chet Coppock was his "boss". Mac was proud that he was Coppock's bitch and always got his diet cokes. Gary Dell'abate (baba booey) - probably the most famous radio producer ever - would always call Howard Stern his "boss". Howard would mock the way the Garry said boss. Gary would say"boff". "Yes boff" "Right away, boff"

If McNeil and Baba Booey realize it, so should ever other radio producer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEuARoD6RlY&feature=related

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
batshit crazy.

If Berns signs the checks...he's the boss. if he doesn't, then he's not the boss.
just like it is in the real world...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

doug - evergreen park wrote:
batshit crazy.

If Berns signs the checks...he's the boss. if he doesn't, then he's not the boss.
just like it is in the real world...

That's stupid. Mitch Rosen doesn't sign the checks, that's B&B's boss. Drew Hayes doesn't sign the checks. That's Mitch Rosen's boss. In companies, you don't always work for the person that signs the checks. It's CBS corporate. That's where the checks come from. That's the real world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm 

This seems really important to you...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm 

why does everyone use the term "the boss"

One can have 8 bosses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Krazy Ivan wrote:
This seems really important to you...

Not at all. Just saying stuff and telling people why they are wrong. I also got a chance to find Stern and Baba Booey stuff on youtube.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

rogers park bryan wrote:
why does everyone use the term "the boss"

One can have 8 bosses.

Agreed. Some you answer to directly. It's always a pecking order in companies. This is common sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Yer stupid! :P
My boss signs my checks...just like every company I have ever worked for as he is the owner. One guy.
It's called management. :wink:

Gotcha...so, CBS corporate is drinky's boss then. thanks for clearing that up.
Maybe Terry everybody's boss, since he's been there the longest....
btw: who has ULTIMATE hiring and firing power? I consider that guy the boss too.

It's really important that Beardown is right about all things B&B. It's his thing...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Yer stupid! :P
My boss signs my checks...just like every company I have ever worked for as he is the owner. One guy.
It's called management. :wink:

Gotcha...so, CBS corporate is drinky's boss then. thanks for clearing that up.
Maybe Terry everybody's boss, since he's been there the longest....
btw: who has ULTIMATE hiring and firing power? I consider that guy the boss too.

It's really important that Beardown is right about all things B&B. It's his thing...

That's just your boss. There is a world outside the one you live in. You people hating me is "your thing".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:53 pm 

Beardown wrote:
You people hating me is "your thing".

What do you mean by "you people"?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Beardown wrote:
You people hating me is "your thing".

What do you mean by "you people"?

What do you mean "you people"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next