It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
HOVA wrote:
Drop In wrote:
I would say Mac made a smart move by doing a one year deal in this economy. He also can show the Saloon's ratings, with and without him. Combine that with the escalating ratings of the current show, and WSCR as a whole. In the words of Mr. Herbert........Jackpot.

Keep in mind, I am not a part of the Mac ALS, if you'll pardon the expression.

I understand that but I doubt he has the option of MVP. Does he try to go the North route? That looks a lot like Chet bouncing all over the place. His only true option is probably WSCR. He needs a host that will challenge him too.

I'm not saying Mac did a one year to ultimately negotiate with 1000. He negotiated a deal in the worst economy since the great depression. Especially for high paid radio hosts! Mac is bringing ratings wherever he goes. Good for him. Even though much of his show isn't my deal. Sorry Mac. I will still go point for point with Mac at a Hawks game if he wants to throw out a Da Ma Na Hawk Tickat to Drop In and his wife.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:58 am 

Panther pislA wrote:
The comments keep getting better on that article.

This guy is pathetic, but I am laughing my ass off at him right now thinking of him eating Chinese Food in his mother's basement.

That has been my point. I feel like I know most media people in this town. When I heard "that guy" saying stuff, I had to laugh and say Who?

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:58 am 

pizza_Place: Carmines NYC
Mac North MacNorth same shit. different day... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:05 am 

Mind Grapes wrote:
Mac North MacNorth same shit. different day... :wink:

Olbermann, O'Reilly, same thing. :roll: Listen much?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Drop In wrote:
HOVA wrote:
Drop In wrote:
I would say Mac made a smart move by doing a one year deal in this economy. He also can show the Saloon's ratings, with and without him. Combine that with the escalating ratings of the current show, and WSCR as a whole. In the words of Mr. Herbert........Jackpot.

Keep in mind, I am not a part of the Mac ALS, if you'll pardon the expression.

I understand that but I doubt he has the option of MVP. Does he try to go the North route? That looks a lot like Chet bouncing all over the place. His only true option is probably WSCR. He needs a host that will challenge him too.

I'm not saying Mac did a one year to ultimately negotiate with 1000. He negotiated a deal in the worst economy since the great depression. Especially for high paid radio hosts! Mac is bringing ratings wherever he goes. Good for him. Even though much of his show isn't my deal. Sorry Mac. I will still go point for point with Mac at a Hawks game if he wants to throw out a Da Ma Na Hawk Tickat to Drop In and his wife.

Some negotiating.... "Mac, we'll give you one year at $100 k, take it or leave it" "OK"

Career toadstool...LMAO. He even looks like one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:

Career toadstool...LMAO. He even looks like one.

Your posts have reached a new low.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:01 am 

1 year deal was a gamble and it paid off because of the success of the show. Why couldnt he go back to 1000? B&B is barely beating the saloon now and Mac is beating S&W. Mac goes back to 1000 with the idea that he and Jurko beat B&B and S&W go back on top the mgmt at 1000 would be foolish to turn this down. Score people would be dumb to let this happen.
He really didnt burn any bridges, except for Harry who would take anything he could get to stay on, he has no options.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I don't think Mac would want to go back to AM1000.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 am 

I don't think AM 1000 wants Mac back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 am 

Isn't there also a rumored FM sports station starting up? Calling SHARK.

He'd immediately make it a player in the Chicago market.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Advertising revenue is never coming back the same way that it was pre-2008. It's certainly not there now, and it won't be next year. Even worse, AM sports radio as a concept is probably somewhat doomed, as more and more users find niche applications rather than generalized sports banter. The days of lavish radio contracts in sports radio is gone, regardless of who the host is.

Because of that, established hosts are at a huge disadvantage vis a vis radio stations right now in negotiating. There's a glut of talent and no sales going on right now. The decision to fire Mac was universally reviled on this board, and from a quality standpoint, middays on AM-1000 got considerably worse, but the ratings haven't fallen off all that much, and WMVP plugged up a considerable hole in the budget. All the "big-name" hosts: North, Mac, Boers, Bernstein -- notice how few there are left -- are unsafe. Don't expect B&B to last much longer either, given their salaries. It's the nature of the game for the foreseeable future.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:40 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
Even worse, AM sports radio as a concept is probably somewhat doomed, as more and more users find niche applications rather than generalized sports banter.
I think it's the opposite. The future of radio is in new unique content. The model of simply playing music and then having commercials is going to get overtaken by internet in cars with Pandora/last.fm and satellite radio and ipods. It's becoming so easy to avoid commercials with more choice and catering to the individual tastes that FM music is going to become a barely surviving relic like people watching television on rabbit ears was and is. It will still have a market but that will continue to shrink.

The thing about sports radio is that you have an active and captive audience that is perfect for commercials built into the show. It's easy to ignore the sponsorship when you are going to 3 minutes of commercials but saying "Hub Arkush is brought to you by Allen Brothers" can't be ignored.

There will be a big market for people who command ratings. Mac has shown that he can do that. He'll be of great value in the new model of the radio business.
Irish Boy wrote:
The days of lavish radio contracts in sports radio is gone, regardless of who the host is.
This is probably true. The days of contracts that pay a million or more are over except for the national radio superstars.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
As a format, sports talk radio has never been healthier or more successful. There are more sports radio stations than ever before in the US, with many cities having more than 1, & there are numerous stations considering switching to all sports.
St. Louis has 4 sports radio stations...yes, 4.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:45 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
Advertising revenue is never coming back the same way that it was pre-2008. It's certainly not there now, and it won't be next year. Even worse, AM sports radio as a concept is probably somewhat doomed, as more and more users find niche applications rather than generalized sports banter. The days of lavish radio contracts in sports radio is gone, regardless of who the host is.

Because of that, established hosts are at a huge disadvantage vis a vis radio stations right now in negotiating. There's a glut of talent and no sales going on right now. The decision to fire Mac was universally reviled on this board, and from a quality standpoint, middays on AM-1000 got considerably worse, but the ratings haven't fallen off all that much, and WMVP plugged up a considerable hole in the budget. All the "big-name" hosts: North, Mac, Boers, Bernstein -- notice how few there are left -- are unsafe. Don't expect B&B to last much longer either, given their salaries. It's the nature of the game for the foreseeable future.

+1 Post of the year.

A lazy guy like Mac who doesn't bring anything to the table can be easily replaced by cheaper versions. The revenue of the saloon didn't drop as much as the money they saved by canning Mac.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Gloopan, out of curiosity is there a history between you and DaMaNa? You seem to dislike him on a fairly personal level.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
As a format, sports talk radio has never been healthier or more successful. There are more sports radio stations than ever before in the US, with many cities having more than 1, & there are numerous stations considering switching to all sports.
St. Louis has 4 sports radio stations...yes, 4.

Numeracy =/= health. The advertising landscape is forever changed, or at least changed for the forseeable future.

Also, with all those jobs out there, it's amazing that Mike North couldn't find a job.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 pm 

Also, I don't mean any of this as a shot at Mac. I think it's equally true of Bernstein or any other non-national guy. It's not a failure of Mac that he was really successful during the boom years and priced himself out of the market. That's a success.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

+1 Post of the year.

A lazy guy like Mac who doesn't bring anything to the table can be easily replaced by cheaper versions. The revenue of the saloon didn't drop as much as the money they saved by canning Mac.

See what an influential writer you are, IJ.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
Dan&Dan wouldn't work. Mac doesn't know enough about sports to keep up and his personality is too dominate to play the role of Terry.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm 

HOVA wrote:
Dan&Dan wouldn't work. Mac doesn't know enough about sports to keep up and his personality is too dominate to play the role of Terry.

Wouldnt it work with Mac leading the show when it comes to hockey and Berns when it comes to John Wall?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

Oh, snap!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:11 pm 

Mack will end up with North screaming at each other working in that 500 watt station in Lansing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Ban me
rogers park bryan wrote:
HOVA wrote:

Wouldnt it work with Mac leading the show when it comes to hockey and Berns when it comes to John Wall?

I'm guessing hockey is just as popular as soccer or golf.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:00 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
As a format, sports talk radio has never been healthier or more successful.

I don't think Mac agrees with that. According to him, every winter topic has a large tune-out factor and in the summer, the day-to-day analysis of baseball is "tedious." Can't wait to see what his next gig is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:25 pm 

HOVA wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
HOVA wrote:

I'm guessing hockey is just as popular as soccer or golf.

or NBA (in this city at least)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

Or college hoops. If its college hoops talk before March, gag me with a spoon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Pappy's Crappy wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
As a format, sports talk radio has never been healthier or more successful.

I don't think Mac agrees with that. According to him, every winter topic has a large tune-out factor and in the summer, the day-to-day analysis of baseball is "tedious." Can't wait to see what his next gig is.

Didn't Mac recently post a message here about how well both Chicago sports radio stations are doing? I read somewhere that as a format, the number of sports radio stations in the US has exploded in the last 10 years & that there are numerous other stations on both AM & FM considering going to the format.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 pm 

Scorehead wrote:

Didn't Mac recently post a message here about how well both Chicago sports radio stations are doing? I read somewhere that as a format, the number of sports radio stations in the US has exploded in the last 10 years & that there are numerous other stations on both AM & FM considering going to the format.

Are the sports formats cheaper to run than a typical music format?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
You might want to ask that question to another SCORE sister station in the CBS Radio family, 104.3 JACK FM. You would think "Playing What They Want" and not hiring any jocks to play the rock hybrid of the '70s, '80s, '90s and today would keep costs down.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:46 am 
1000 CLUB

Maybe Boers doesn't want to continue working 5 hours a day.

But it's important that B&B are on during the 5PM hour.

So maybe transition will fall by the wayside.

Perhaps that's where the Dan Patrick Show would be a good sandwich between Mac's Show and B&B - since they don't REALLY have any competition down the dial during the 1PM hour.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next