It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Uh oh, is that a sore subject with JORR or with the board in general?

McDonald's isn't a sore subject with me. Brick and I just disagree on why he loves it so much. Hell, he won't even admit he's lovin' it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But why is his memory of Comiskey negative and his memory of Wrigley positive? I can assure you the grass was as green or greener and smelled just like grass at Comiskey. The Bossards are the greatest groundskeepers ever, right? Who can even tell me the name of the Wrigley groundskeeper in 1968? Are you telling me this unknown kept his grass greener than the great Gene Bossard?

i dont know, maybe he is douche and hates the Sox for no reason so Comiskey had to be awful for him to be in...

I think the groundskeeper at Wrigley in 68 only had 3 fingers on one hand and he let my father in on an off day but lost his job because of it and had to move to NYC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

McDonald's isn't a sore subject with me. Brick and I just disagree on why he loves it so much. Hell, he won't even admit he's lovin' it!
Cool...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Don't most people make their childhood memories better than they are? I can remember eating my first Big Mac instead of a Happy Meal and it was the best thing ever. Now i know they are processed crap, but at the time those memories werent bogus, it was just the innocence of youth.

Oh lord why did you have to mention McDonalds....minimum 10 pages now....

I can't find the link...you may be shocked to learn that the search function doesn't work....but you also probably don't want to mention Scottie Pippen's legacy or Baseball's popularity compared to Football's popularity.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:11 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
I can't find the link...you may be shocked to learn that the search function doesn't work....but you also probably don't want to mention Scottie Pippen's legacy or Baseball's popularity compared to Football's popularity.

Don't forget the one about stolen bases...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:55 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joe, why can't it be that you are the one who isn't remembering it right and Comiskey was a dump of a place with the ugly green walls and funky seat/railing colors, the upper deck closing you up like a tomb while those light tower shadows covered the field?

Do you often tell people that their wives aren't good-looking also? Dude can think what he wants about her but I'm gonna tell him how it is. People's opinions are their own, Joe. You can't really win an argument one way or the other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Joe, why can't it be that you are the one who isn't remembering it right and Comiskey was a dump of a place with the ugly green walls and funky seat/railing colors, the upper deck closing you up like a tomb while those light tower shadows covered the field?

Do you often tell people that their wives aren't good-looking also? Dude can think what he wants about her but I'm gonna tell him how it is. People's opinions are their own, Joe. You can't really win an argument one way or the other.

As a matter of fact, Doc, that kind of is how I remember Comiskey Park. Just because I'm a Sox fan I'm not going to tell you I levitated ten feet and blew my load when I walked inside the place. My memories there are my own. I'm not trying to convince you or Brian Hanley how great the place was to me.

We all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My argument is not with people who think Wrigley is great. It's more about the phony reasons why some of them supposedly think it's great. If you tell me that on a gorgeous Saturday in July of '87 you drank a hundred beers there, saw Andre Dawson make a great catch, got a handjob from Seka in the bleachers and then went across the street to Sports Corner where you met your future wife, and that's why you love Wrigley and think it's the best ballpark in the world, I'm not going to argue with you.

But that's not what I'm talking about. Comiskey Park didn't look the same in real life as it did on a 16" black and white Zenith. And Wrigley wasn't some lone patch of grass bursting with colors in an otherwise urban jungle of gray concrete. That's just unnecessary romanticizing. I'm sure there are enough reasons top like the place that you don't need to make more up. Isn't that fair?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brian Hanley "remembers" watching the White Sox at old Comiskey on a black and white TV. His first game was a Sox game and he "remembers" that the park was as drab as it was on that black and white television. He also watched Cub games on that same black and white set. But when he first went to Wrigley he was blown away by the vibrant colors and the green grass. Maybe he really believes this shit. Enough people repeat the same crap enough times, well, I guess it might as well be true. This is a perfect example of American myth-making. It's no different than the bullshit story Ke$ha keeps repeating about breaking into Prince's house. It's like the kids at Halloween getting apples with razor blades in them. If you prefer a sports analogy, it's like Bob Gibson single-handedly causing the mound top be lowered.

Anyway, I have a question for Brian Hanley: What color was the fucking grass at Comiskey Park?

Same color as the infield at Clemente High School.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:25 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If you tell me that on a gorgeous Saturday in July of '87 you drank a hundred beers there, saw Andre Dawson make a great catch, got a handjob from Seka in the bleachers and then went across the street to Sports Corner where you met your future wife, and that's why you love Wrigley and think it's the best ballpark in the world, I'm not going to argue with you.

Change Saturday to Friday, adjust it by about 10 years and lose the part about the handjob and you got it pretty much 100% correct.

Scary.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Wrigley was a very cool place to sit in the daytime with the ivy on the walls and the sun shining. Beautiful.

Old Comiskey was a run down dump of a place that just felt drab and dirty.

Wrigley is/was run down also but sitting in the seats I wasn't dwelling on the disgusting-ness of the bathrooms as everything was sunny and green.

Sitting in the seats at Old Comiskey was darker, even in the daytime, and more depressing. My impressions as a yout'.

Old Comiskey was enclosed with the arches and the upper deck in the OF, notice how even US Taxpayer park has no upper deck bleachers??? Most new places dont have it or it is always more open in the OF.

Comiskey had the shades of light that came through the arches that Josh Gibson used to hit 600+ ft homeruns though

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
Comiskey had the shades of light that came through the arches that Josh Gibson used to hit 600+ ft homeruns though

And Mr. reason can give us a firsthand account.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:46 pm 

JORR keeps talking about people's childhood memories of the parks, but a lot of the people posting here had childhoods in different eras.

I was born in '82; my earliest strong baseball memories are from the '89 Cubs division winning season. My parents weren't fans of either team - I got into the Cubs from watching them on WGN after school.

I probably only went to Old Comiskey once, but I was upset that they tore it down just because I thought it was cool that Chicago had the 1st and 3rd oldest barkparks at the time. My early memory of New Comiskey was being in that scary-steep upper deck. I wasn't particularly enthralled by any of the kid-centric attractions they had, (except for getting a '94 Michael Jordan promo baseball card that featured his stats if you converted them from basketball to baseball stats).

In my childhood's era at Wrigley, it DID always draw more fans than Comiskey (except for a couple years). I thought it was cool that you could watch a game from an apartment across the street (back when they just set up folding chairs). I thought it was cool that kids stood on the sidewalk outside the stadium and tried to catch home runs. I didn't know that the neighborhood used to be a dump - I thought it was cool that there were always people milling around outside for day games, even the firemen across the street. I thought it was cool that the only ads were on the adjacent buildings. I liked the scoreboard and wanted to go inside it. I thought it was cool that they played mostly day games, it fits the old fashioned fantasy of a kid playing hooky from school to see a game, or just kids traveling to the park without their parents in the summer, or even being able to stay up for a game on TV because it doesn't end at 10pm. I didn't like the trough urinals as a kid, although I got over it as I got older - it does cut down on waiting lines.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:38 am 
Site Admin

First of all, I specifically addressed a statement made by Brian Hanley who attended his first game right around the same time I attended mine.

But I think you may be post-remembering too. If you were born in '82 I'm not sure you could have your own memories of a few guys setting up folding chairs on the rooftops. I can't say for sure, but I think by the time you were about ten or so we had already entered the era of the rooftop clubs, although the weren't quite as elaborate as they have since become.

Also, your description of "kids catching balls in the street", while charming, is not exactly true. Most "ballhawks" are full grown idiots who would go to great lengths to knock down a child in their relentless pursuit of batting practice homers off the bats of such stalwarts as Mitch Webster and Luis Salazar.

Finally, did you really consider the attendance as a factor in your enjoyment? I would guess a kid really starts to know what's going on with the game at about nine or ten and during that period for you the Sox were drawing more than the Cubs.