It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:52 am 

Can't say I am to surprised by this.

Staff report

Jay Mariotti has written his last column for AOL Fanhouse or any other media outlet, the former Sun-Times columnist said Tuesday.

On a Twitter account with the handle @JayMariotti, the following appeared in two separate tweets:

"I express deep gratitude to AOL for a fun, productive experience. I wish the talented staff at Fanhouse.com nothing but the best in the competitive Internet world.

"Column writing has been a labor of love for 25 years, allowing me to see the world and cover some of the greatest athletes and events in sports. But it's time to step back from the daily sportswriting grind and focus on my other media ventures, including a book project."

Mariotti pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in Los Angeles last week from an August incident involving his live-in girlfriend. He was a regular guest on ESPN's "Around the Horn" but hasn't appeared on the show since his arrest.

Earlier, Jason Whitlock, who once wrote for AOL Sports, confirmed Mariotti was done at Fanhouse.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
^Jay has stated that he and Mully are very good friends so I doubt we'll ever see Mully blast off on him.

I've always enjoyed Jay's writing. Whether we agreed with him or not fans and haters would read his pieces and they usually sparked a good conversation. I doubt ill read his book though

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:09 am 

[quote="Mr. Hernandez] Whether we agreed with him or not fans and haters would read his pieces and they usually sparked a good conversation. [/quote]

biggest lie this side of mike north taking his sponsors when he leaves

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:03 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
[quote="Mr. Hernandez] Whether we agreed with him or not fans and haters would read his pieces and they usually sparked a good conversation. [/quote]

biggest lie this side of mike north taking his sponsors when he leaves[/quote][/quote]

He didnt provoke your thoughts because you were busy reading Telander's thoughts on Media brotherhood.

If you think Mariotti's haters didnt read him...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:37 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

biggest lie this side of mike north taking his sponsors when he leaves[/quote][/quote][/quote]
He didnt provoke your thoughts because you were busy reading Telander's thoughts on Media brotherhood.

If you think Mariotti's haters didnt read him...

Image[/quote]

Two parts to your argument:

1) It would rarely spark a good conversation. In fact, most of his columns were him taking both sides of a conversation as he frequently took the opposite opinion of previous columns.

2) True, I rarely if ever read his column. However, I would love to know if there has been any decrese in readership attributable to Mariotti leaving.

As I have said about Mariotti's work on more than one occasion, it was fast food. It provided no nourishment beyond filling you up for a couple of hours.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
I love Mariotti

sparking a conversation, thats dumb...Im reading a newspaper, how is that gonna spark a conversation with anyone?

I read him simply because he made me laugh EVERY time...whether I agreed with him or not, he was funny to read

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
whistler wrote:
I love Mariotti

Also not surprising.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
From http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/br ... 2481.story

Quote:

Mariotti pleads no contest to stalking, assault-related charges

Los Angeles Times

3:59 p.m. CDT, September 13, 2011
Former Chicago Sun-Times columnist and ESPN sports personality Jay Mariotti pleaded no contest Tuesday to stalking and assault-related charges in exchange for community service and probation, authorities said.

Mariotti, who faced up to five years in state prison if he had gone to trial and been convicted on all counts, will not spend any time behind bars. Under the plea before Los Angeles Superior Court Judge James Dabney, all five counts -- including three felonies -- faced by Mariotti will be reduced to misdemeanors, officials said.

At a preliminary hearing in July, Mariotti was held to answer on charges that included felony stalking, corporal injury on a spouse or domestic partner, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, and two misdemeanor counts of disobeying a court order.

Shawn Holley, the attorney representing Mariotti, said that despite the no-contest plea, her client maintained his innocence and that the decision to accept the court's offer was not an acknowledgement of guilt but rather a "practical consideration in light of the expense and unpredictability of trial."

"Although Mr. Mariotti would have liked to have told his side of the story at trial, the fact that he is an accomplished writer provided him another avenue, in this case a book, to tell his side in an unconventional but progressive manner."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
cool

Im never a fan of convicted criminals writing a book to profit from it...fuck u Blagoyabitch

but Mariotti's book I would definitely love to read...still a big fan of him...I dont believe his actions were as bad as reported...in this society, being honest and colorful with ur words unfortunately leads to trouble in one way or another...and i think thats what happened to him...Men arent allowed to be honest anymore...its a great big WHITE world

i think he's an OK guy...maybe not a great guy, but definitely not as bad as people make him out to be

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Gem City
whistler wrote:
i think he's an OK guy...maybe not a great guy, but definitely not as bad as people make him out to be
The next time I read a complimentary quote regarding Mariotti will be the first. I'm guessing he really is a bad guy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Imagine if The Score went Total WWF and brought in Mariotti to shake up some shit.

That sounds more like a TNA type of thing to do.