It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:26 pm 

The Smashing Pumpkins were on the stage at Metro playing their "farewell show".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I was there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:24 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
I was there.

Do you miss them as much as I do?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:26 pm 

spanky wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I was there.

Do you miss them as much as I do?

The original lineup, yes. I really didn't like much after Mellon Collie...the last album they did with James Iha (I think it was Machina) wasn't bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:29 pm 

The "lineup" sucked until Jimmy Chamberlain came back from, um, "break". Once he was back pounding away, all was better......for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:31 pm 

spanky wrote:
The "lineup" sucked until Jimmy Chamberlain came back from, um, "break". Once he was back pounding away, all was better......for a while.

I remember seeing them in Rosemont while I was still in High School. It was the Mellon Collie tour, but I can't remember who the drummer was.

The Metro show was great, and it was even better because I saw it for free.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:33 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
spanky wrote:

I remember seeing them in Rosemont while I was still in High School. It was the Mellon Collie tour, but I can't remember who the drummer was.

If it was the Mellon Collie tour, it was Jimmy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:36 pm 

spanky wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
spanky wrote:

If it was the Mellon Collie tour, it was Jimmy.

He had his OD issue and got the boot towards the end of the tour. I can't remember if it was before or after they hit Chicago though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:39 pm 

Whatever happened to these guys? It would be cool if the band got back together someday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:41 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Whatever happened to these guys? It would be cool if the band got back together someday.

Dude, please refer to the original post in this thread. They said goodbye ten years ago tonight. Get over it, you'll never hear the enchanting tones of a William Corgan again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm 

I know he has that solo career thing going on, but that was kind of a flop, right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:47 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
I know he has that solo career thing going on, but that was kind of a flop, right?

I don't know. He was dead to me when he made Kurt Cobain kill himself because he was porking Courtney Love and writing all of her songs and drinking all of his coffee.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Waiting on a thought from Doug....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I find it funny that some of yous guys continue to start threads about someone that you don't really care for.
He did Zwan tour and a solo tour. I saw both tours.
I was at that Allstate show, I believe it was before Jimmy was booted. I also saw them with Kenny Aranoff on drums...ugh, brutal.

I'll let the man speak for himself.
From Billy's facebook yesterday:

pt 1 first thing that comes to mind is that we only had about 6 days to prepare the about 14 or so extra songs that we added to try to make the show both historic and memorable. normally this much work in such a short time would have been met with resistance, but everyone was in good spirits to have the 11 months of touring finally over.
pt 2 my original plan was to book the metro out for the whole month of January and make one last album, writing songs and recording them live in rehearsal and then playing them at night at the 'shows'...can't remember how many shows we would have done per week? maybe 3 or 4. Iha+ Auf Der Maur hated the idea and said no.... a shame, could have been amazing. band was tight at that point and i was motivated to write more.
pt 3 we had the 2nd to last show at The United Center, and we wanted to film that as well. unfortunately the building wanted to charge us (i could be wrong but...) 50,000$ just for the 'right' to film, not counting the actual costs it would have been to film. so there is no video that i know of. if there is it might be... a lone camera. that show was amazing, although we were criticized for opening the show acoustic.
pt 4 we had been opening with 5 songs acoustic in Europe as a way to set a different tone because each night the audience was thinking they were seeing the band for the last time. there the audiences went with the somber beginning, and so i stupidly assumed that an American audience would go the same way with it. Wrong...! once we finally lit it up with 'glass' theme (song 6) the place went nuts.
pt 5 for the Metro show itself, we found someone to be a clown in between acts, to hold the sign up announcing each of the 3 parts. what most people don't know is that the kid doing it (a total coincidence) was related to Jonathon Melvoin. i found out before the show, but i took it as a sign that his spirit was with us... in the building that night so i said i was fine with it.
pt 6 we played 38 songs i believe, over 4 hours of music. i had never p[layed that long before, nor have i since. i wasn't even sure my voice would hold up that long, but it did. actually it got stronger as the night went on. the first song was 'rocket', which we were supposed to play after the mellon collie theme intr...o, which was played off a cd. the theme finished, i lit into the opening riff of 'rocket'.
pt 7 unfortunately, no one turned off the cd, , so as i was playing i heard 'tonight, tonight' come blaring out of the p.a....classic SP fuck-up for trying to be fancy. the show as i remember was fairly good, but incredibly hot and at about 90 min in the crowd was just totally worn out. i thoughtto myself 'wow, we got a long way to go!'
pt 8 act 2 honestly felt like a sad funeral, and people started talking. i felt the whole thing slipping away from me, but i realized that it was all part of the journey of death that we were on. life moves on, and when the show was over i too had to move on. i honestly thought that it would be the last time i would pl...ay most of these songs, and it felt good to let them go.
pt 9 act three was designed to bring the energy back up, and it did. the last encore i think was 'silverfuck', which had a lot of improvisation in it. it wasn't all planned out, and i remember thinking of my deceased mother alot. it all came down to 'where was mommy?' in the end of it all, as it begins so does it end. ...i turned to look at Jimmy and said 'that's it', and it ended without form best as i remember.
pt 10 i broke down on stage crying but i remember being quite embarassed about it. i've thought about that moment many times, and i wish in hindsight that i'd let myself just have a good cry right then and there, because you won't find yourself in a spot like that many times in your life. after we had a little party, p...laying dvd bootlegs of the band on a screen on stage.
pt 11 once it was over, there was a shift, so playing the videos felt like watching a car crash again and again. it was overkill for everyone, including me. pictures and Chopin would have been better. i asked where James was, and someone had said he had left, without saying goodbye to me or Jimmy, a real final fuck you... in my eyes. outside of a phone conversation about business in 2001, i haven't seen him since.
pt 12 one more thing: please stop asking about the show ever coming out (i say this good heartedly). it will come out when the time is right. it should have come out in 2001 but EMI squashed it, and we got the rights back. hopefully it will be put out one day when tall he albums get re-issued. it would make sense for it to come out with the Machina era stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:58 am 

I like the music. Do I need to care for him as aperson?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am 

It's nice to see that he isn't bitter... :roll: :roll: :roll:

He took an opportunity to look back on a historic day and reminisce about the good times, but instead he slams Auf Der Maur and Iha. Real classy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
Adore was pretty ok, you guys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
spanky wrote:
I don't know. He was dead to me when he made Kurt Cobain kill himself because he was porking Courtney Love and writing all of her songs and drinking all of his coffee.
I thought Cobain killed himself when he finally got clean and realized he'd been fucking Courtney Love all that time.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Capitilzation is exhausting....he can't be bothered

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:04 am 

suckers playground wrote:

I haven't listened to it in about 10 years. I wasn't into it at the time, but I keep meaning to go back and give it a shot again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
sjboyd0137 wrote:
suckers playground wrote:

I haven't listened to it in about 10 years. I wasn't into it at the time, but I keep meaning to go back and give it a shot again.

Worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:

He took an opportunity to look back on a historic day and reminisce about the good times, but instead he slams Auf Der Maur and Iha. Real classy.

I dont know about that, seems to me that Iha and to a lesser extent Auf Der Mutt should be sucking Corgans cock. Iha would be working at a Subway in Elk Grove if it werent for Corgan. Hasnt exactly set the world on fire since the band broke up has he? and I didnt see the world beating a path to Auf ders door to play after Hole went on hiatus. Just sayin'

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:10 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

I dont know about that, seems to me that Iha and to a lesser extent Auf Der Mutt should be sucking Corgans cock. Iha would be working at a Subway in Elk Grove if it werent for Corgan. Hasnt exactly set the world on fire since the band broke up has he? and I didnt see the world beating a path to Auf ders door to play after Hole went on hiatus. Just sayin'

Right, but if those people are so beneath him, why slam them in his 10th anniversary blog? Seems a little thin-skinney.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:12 am 
1000 CLUB

Adore is fantastic...Machina II is pretty good as well.

I just think you guys like to find failure in everything he says or does.

Iha doing what he did is a giant fuck you. It's not the first time he's stated as much in print and interview.
I don't think he slammed Auf de Maur at all. I don't even think what he said was the least bit offensive to her. He had and idea, she and Iha hated it. done...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:15 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
I find it funny that some of yous guys continue to start threads about someone that you don't really care for.
He did Zwan tour and a solo tour. I saw both tours.
I was at that Allstate show, I believe it was before Jimmy was booted. I also saw them with Kenny Aranoff on drums...ugh, brutal.

I like most of the guy's music. I really liked the Zwan album and thought he should have stuck with that. That and his solo album kind of bombed, so he decided to reform "The Smashing Pumpkins" with his hired guns so I considered it as just a money grab and nothing more. That just kind of rubbed me the wrong way about him.

That, and he's kind of a pud, so I don't really mind piling on the guy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:21 am 
1000 CLUB

oh, he's definitely kind of a pud. you won't get an argument out of me at all. he changes his mind about projects mid-stream. he writes goofy ass songs on the ukulele and releases them on 7".... :wink:
trust me, i'm well aware of the great pumpkins pudness.

Zwan kinda bombed because the non-pumpkins members were more into being in a band, than actually working on the band. plus, there were some drug issues. which is exactly what billy and jimmy did not want around. the solo album was weird. there are a couple of good songs on it, but it's very euro-synth. not much guitar at all. if adore was black, the solo album was silver and pink.

He asked Iha and D'Arcy and Melissa if they wanted to come back after he and Jimmy decided they were going to write Zeitgest. They all declined.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

ya know...I think I'm gonna send him a Christmas card. :lol: