It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Most if not all the national press has been negative even when he plays well.

There's two problems with that, Nas. First, it's pretty selective - the first five weeks broadcasters and journalists were falling all over themselves to compliment how impressive he's been. The letters "MVP" were showing up in the same sentence as his name.

Second, the national press has been nothing but negative for the TEAM since the week after Tommie Harris' injury. Poor performances by Rex combined with injuries, losses, near losses and Tank Johnson to make just about everyone jump off the bandwagon - that would have happened with San Diego if Philip Rivers was posting Rex' numbers, Michael Turner was nipping at LT2's heels, Shawne Merriman was suspended for stero - oh, wait....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:24 pm 

The Bears success has brought immediacy to judging Rex as a finished product, which is unfair to him. I look at him as a developing quarterback. As a developing quarterback he has shown sufficient ability for me to think that he will get better with more playing time.

I am glad someone brought up Garland because this is very comparable to his situation. He showed a lot of bad, a lot of good and some very long periods where he did not appear to get better or learn from mistakes. The good he showed was far beyond that able to be produced by the average players of the league, and so he deserved additonal time to develop.

Sure I would feel more confident with any of the other QB's left to lead us (and, as I don my vintage Butkus jersey on Sunday, I do mean us), but that is not what we have.

All of this is meaningless conversation as Rex is the starter this year and I promise you he will be the starter again next year. Your time is better spent arguing about who good dolphin is then what to do with Rex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Well, it's undeniable that Rex is wildy inconsistant, so they're both right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Question from a Colts Fan...

Why are the Rex backers SO obsessed with defending their guy as if he has done so much for you guys in Chicago over the past five years? I'm not here to say whether he is bad or good, but I don't think I have ever seen this much love for a Chicago athlete who has played a season and half worht of games with no award accolades whatsoever from his fans than Rex. I just don't get why you guys get so riled up on defending his name as if he is your own brother out there. Am I missing something? Is there some similar situation in the city's sports history that I'm not aware of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I hope the Bears cut Grossman, Griese, and Orton over the summer, win or lose, and sign Daunte Culpepper so we can all agree he sucks and save me before I go blind.

:roll:

Post subject:

BD wrote:
Mac wrote:
This may be a bad comparison, but I'll give it a shot..
It would be like comparing Zambrano and Rich Hill. Hill had some bad games, and some good games, and Zambrano had primarily good games, but I wouldn't say they are on the same level, just like Grossman is not the same level of the other 3 QB's this weekend, although it's possible he could outplay them.

You're right...that is a bad comparison.

Post subject:
1000 CLUB

damn good, dolphin.

answered my question before I could even finish posting it. Well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Ryan....
I'll try to answer this as succinctly as possible....
You're a Colts fan. you've had Peyton Manning for 6 odd years.....

we've had six different QB's in 3 years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Is it this much more of a passionate thing because its a qb thing? I'm a lifelong fan of Chicago Sports and i just can't recall such a strong defense of a guy in this city who has done so little in a somewhat long period of time. I mean these defending Rex fans act like you are denouncing world peace as a good idea. I enjoy reading the banter, but can't figure out why people act like this is so black and white. To me, Rex Grossman is the truest color of gray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think Mac is Salty with Rex because he cost him $2,000. In singles and fives mind you .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Any Peyton trashing is deserving at this point. He hasn't been a playoff guy and he can rack up all the reg season accolades inthe world, but until he has done something great that is memorable in the playoffs, he can't be considered one of the NFL's "greats" with at least an asterick to his name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:57 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I agree. Mac points out all of the bad games. But he never mentions the 7 games that he had an over 100 rating.

Mac has proved he can't evaluate talent anyway. Remember Jon (Judy) Garland and Joe (the lamb) Crede. Now maybe it's just trying to be funny but still Mac wouldn't make a good scout.

Don't forget Mac telling anyone who would listen that Va Tech's Jim Druckenmiller was a can't miss thing for any team lucky enough to draft him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Don't forget Mac telling anyone who would listen that Va Tech's Jim Druckenmiller was a can't miss thing for any team lucky enough to draft him.

Can I be the first to say, "Shalom, gentleman!"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ryan....Bears fans would like to see some season accolades at the QB position too.
We knew that Krenzel and Hutchinson and Moreno and whomever else were going to be bad.
We were "teased" by Rex for 3 seasons b/c of injury after hearing he was the answer to the QB question for the Bears.
He's been the best (and equally the worst) this season we've seen in a long time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:10 pm 

Quote:
WR it the fact that a lot of fans are bashing a guy that is better than any quarterback we have seen in over 20 years. Just because they want to see quarterbacks that have proven they are inferior to Rex. A lot of us want to see a franchise quarterback for once in our life and we see flashes of potential greatness. The guy is 20-5 as a starter. It would be the same as someone trashing Peyton in his 2nd season. Do you like the fans that trash him more?

Why did everyone bash Orton, Nas? What was his record as a starter? The problem with Rex is that his peaks and valleys average out to an Ortonesque QB.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:19 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Why did everyone bash Orton, Nas? What was his record as a starter? The problem with Rex is that his peaks and valleys average out to an Ortonesque QB.

They bashed Orton because he was a bad quarterback.

Exactly.

Quote:
The Bears didn't win 1 game because of Orton last year and they were 29th in offense. If you think Rex is the same type of quarterback as Orton then you have answered a lot of questions about your football knowledge.

He's the same type, alright: bad. Bad for different reasons, but bad just the same. Someone brought the name up earlier, and that got me thinking: Dante Culpepper. Rex is Dante Culpepper, only smaller and less mobile. He'll throw well for a few games, throw you the occasional bomb and get your hopes up, and then go on to get you killed in others; but at the end of the day, he sucks.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
You guys obviously wouldn't cut it in the sexy business...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
hawkeye wrote:
I'm just as much to blame though with my counting of Murph drops and calling Jeffin Trotter to tell him his voice sucks.

Don't beat yourself up Hawk. Those were two of my all time board favorites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:

agreed....quite memorable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:34 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
He's the same type, alright: bad. Bad for different reasons, but bad just the same. Someone brought the name up earlier, and that got me thinking: Dante Culpepper. Rex is Dante Culpepper, only smaller and less mobile. He'll throw well for a few games, throw you the occasional bomb and get your hopes up, and then go on to get you killed in others; but at the end of the day, he sucks.

Thanks Matt. Not that I really needed to see this but this tells me a lot.

You don't think Culpepper is bad, or you don't think Rex is a Culpepper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think the jury is still out.....on both of them. One more (healthy) year will tell you a great deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:02 pm 

Quote:
I think the jury is still out.....on both of them. One more (healthy) year will tell you a great deal.

I knew Culpepper sucked. The national guys were telling everyone every chance they got about how he was going to elevate the Dolphins to championship-level; "my ass," I said. Just good enough to get you beat and dash your hopes year after year. He can throw the bomb, though, I'll give him that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

he was never 100% though....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:08 pm 

Quote:

That's an excuse, in my mind. He sucked before he went to the Dolphins. He's a one-trick pony; he can heave it. But he's erratic on short passes and throws picks that get you beat. He's a turnoverasaurus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:41 pm 

C,mon fellas... you gotta remember more of my "can't miss" bustouts than Jim Druckenmiller of Va. Tech. Darnell Autry ring any bells? Cory Swinson, one of my finds out of Hampton, with whom I fell in love at the '94 Senior Bowl. I'm certain there are many, many more. Grid, you paing any attention? Vinny Sutherland of Purdue. Think a little bit. Love all of ya, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Quote:

agreed....quite memorable.

Thanks to both of you. Glad my pain and torture could provide some entertainment :lol: By the way, Jeffin must have just cut a new commercial because it's ear-stabbing goodness has been playing nonstop this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:32 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Quote:
MattInTheCrown wrote:
Quote:

That's an excuse, in my mind. He sucked before he went to the Dolphins. He's a one-trick pony; he can heave it. But he's erratic on short passes and throws picks that get you beat. He's a turnoverasaurus.

I was wrong. Culpepper talk is just as bad.

And now I'm blind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:14 pm 

OK, forget Culpepper.

How about Jim Druckenmiller?

Can we all agree that Jim Druckenmiller sucks or will Mac be playing the part of Nas and I and the rest of the world will be MattintheCrown?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:51 am 

Mac wrote:
C,mon fellas... you gotta remember more of my "can't miss" bustouts than Jim Druckenmiller of Va. Tech. Darnell Autry ring any bells? Cory Swinson, one of my finds out of Hampton, with whom I fell in love at the '94 Senior Bowl. I'm certain there are many, many more. Grid, you paing any attention? Vinny Sutherland of Purdue. Think a little bit. Love all of ya, though.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You cannot hold a candle to Buffone. He is still waiting for Ferguson to have a Pro Bowl season in Green Bay...and if he is of Italian desent and plays for Louisville, Doug is ready to put him in Canton.