It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Didn't hear this angle mentioned anywhere...wasn't quite sure where else to make this post so here it is..

Was talking with a buddy of mine tonite about Nawlins and Katrina. Does anyone else find the fact that they spent some $180million to fix the Superdome...then celebrated it? Seriously to me, rebuilding that stadium should have been the last effort that city made to help its people (granted I'm sure most of it was private funding, but still..you get the idea). It's still a mess down there, but I guess everything is ok because they have a billion dollar sports franchise thats managed to win a few football games here and there. Their moral must be up, but watching million dollar football players do good for themselves isn't going to rebuild homes or put food on plates.

I just find that fact very disturbing when there are many better things that that money could have been spent on.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:10 am 

Quote:
Didn't hear this angle mentioned anywhere...wasn't quite sure where else to make this post so here it is..

Was talking with a buddy of mine tonite about Nawlins and Katrina. Does anyone else find the fact that they spent some $180million to fix the Superdome...then celebrated it? Seriously to me, rebuilding that stadium should have been the last effort that city made to help its people (granted I'm sure most of it was private funding, but still..you get the idea). It's still a mess down there, but I guess everything is ok because they have a billion dollar sports franchise thats managed to win a few football games here and there. Their moral must be up, but watching million dollar football players do good for themselves isn't going to rebuild homes or put food on plates.

I just find that fact very disturbing when there are many better things that that money could have been spent on.

That sounds all well and good, but the way I understand it is that there isn't any real shortage of money. Sure, its silly on the surface that they spent all that money on the Superdome, but at least they got something rebuilt. The rest of the money (the overwhelming bulk of it) is presumably still just sitting.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Last edited by MattInTheCrown on Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:16 am 
1000 CLUB

Frank, the Superdome brings in so much revenue to that city, in taxes and consumer spending to other merchants, that rebuilding the Superdome was necessary. Otherwise, all that money would have gone to rebuilding, with no eye toward future economic growth. They didn't pick it over building hospitals or anything like that, it is more of a long-term plan for the city's viability with Super Bowls, bowl games, Final Fours, conventions, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:51 am 
1000 CLUB

I don't necessarily think it was overlooked, but most Chicago's media types probably ignored the whole hurricane angle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:59 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i heard something about that....the thing most disturbing is that the NFL only kicked in 10 million of that 180....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
i heard something about that....the thing most disturbing is that the NFL only kicked in 10 million of that 180....

That's probably all that they could afford. I mean the last television deal was only 17.6 billion dollars. :roll: