It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bobby Dollars wrote:
The other issue with this reasoning is that Decker was a 3rd round pick. That pick didn't come from the Bears.
Other than that...
They did get Decker by trading down the Bears pick. They only had that pick because they had the Bears pick at 11th and traded it away.

The Bears pick was 11th.
They traded it down to 13th. They then traded that pick down to 24th, where they got the third round pick that ended up being Erik Decker.
They then traded up two spots to 22nd, with the extra pick they got in the trade for the 11th pick, and they selected Demaryius Thomas.

It shouldn't even be a debate here. Denver CLEARLY made the right decision to move on from Cutler. They have Peyton Manning right now and are probably going to win the Super Bowl. Was there luck involved? Of course. There is luck involved in any good move.

Agreed. You can do the draft pick dance and who got what and did what with it but in the end the Broncos ditching Cutler is the reason why they are here

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
It really goes back to when Bledsoe got hurt allowing Brady to play in the first place
The decision to not go back to Bledsoe was the true great move by the Patriots. Brady was really only average that season and many organizations would not have put the future on a 6th round pick. Bledsoe also had just signed a massive contract.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:34 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
It really goes back to when Bledsoe got hurt allowing Brady to play in the first place

I like you enough to not point out I already said that.

It actually goes back to that motherfucking Boston College upset of ND in 93.. Without that ND goes undefeated, Mirer goes to the Pats and Tom Brady is pumping gas somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 am 

Also, and it pains me to say this, but ditching Tebow took guts too. He had taken them to the playoffs and won a game. They cut him loose and signed a guy who may not have been able to play again or play well. Now, some of us knew Tebow sucked but if Manning had been bad too then everyone would say "Tebow Jesus Saves all He does is win".

To act like now that it was "luck" that they got Manning isn't really fair. There were teams like the Bears that didn't seem to want anything to do with Manning.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
It really goes back to when Da Bears destroyed the Pats in the Super Bowl. The Pats never recovered and got to be bad enough that the got to draft Bledsoe #1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Bobby Dollars wrote:
The other issue with this reasoning is that Decker was a 3rd round pick. That pick didn't come from the Bears.
Other than that...
They did get Decker by trading down the Bears pick. They only had that pick because they had the Bears pick at 11th and traded it away.

The Bears pick was 11th.
They traded it down to 13th. They then traded that pick down to 24th, where they got the third round pick that ended up being Erik Decker.
They then traded up two spots to 22nd, with the extra pick they got in the trade for the 11th pick, and they selected Demaryius Thomas.

It shouldn't even be a debate here. Denver CLEARLY made the right decision to move on from Cutler. They have Peyton Manning right now and are probably going to win the Super Bowl. Was there luck involved? Of course. There is luck involved in any good move.

It's really an exercise in futility to argue Brick's point here. He's 100% correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Here could be another one to think about, listening on the Scott Van Pelt show, what if Manning didn't go to the Broncos or stayed with the Colts. I will throw this out, just looking if Luck came out after the first year he could, probably goes to the Panthers, then does Cam Newton go to the Broncos.

Reading the New York Post, what if Manning came out after junior year, he would have been a Jet, and have that Manning with Parcells would have been a dangerous combo.

Seems like the NFL you see this a lot, like when the Colts drafted Manning, what if they had taken Leaf, is Drew Brees with the Colts.

To keep it with the Bears, what if they had taken Moss instead of Enis in the draft.

A lot of things happen, but it's always the trickle down effect too.