It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
casual fan wrote:
I think it's just the feel of it. It's not like any of the courses I've played are actual links golf. There really isn't much difference in the type of shots played, other than maybe needing a punch under a tree more often on the parkland style. Don't think I've hit a shot all summer where I was standing in the fairway, and the best shot was to bump and run the approach shot into a green, and trying to avoid a deep pot bunker... I also prefer the look of large areas of native plantings and natural water edges over acres of turfgrass rough that need to be mowed/sprayed/maintained constantly.

That's interesting. We have a course a little bit like that up here called Shepherds Crook that kind of reminds me of a links course. There are only a few holes where trees even come into play. I think you would like that one. The best links type course I've played has to be Erin Hills.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:19 am 

I am old school tree lined golf course guy myself, love playing in The Carolina’s and Georgia. Back when you could move the golf ball easier, I loved how you could see the shape of the hole and then conform your shot to that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:25 am 

Franky T wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Heading down near the Quad cities for a little Sunday/Monday trip. Playing TPC Deere Run on Sunday and Fyre Lake Golf Club on Monday.

I've never played Deere Run, so I am excited about that. Been there for the John Deere once but never played. Fyre Lake is in the middle of nowhere (actually right by my farm) and I played it when it first opened. They didn't even have a clubhouse yet and I remember liking the layout. Some guys at my club were talking about how much they like it so I am excited to go back now that it has matured a little bit. Bonus: I can drive by and check on my crops!

TPC Deere Run was a much harder course than I anticipated. It looks so much easier on TV lol. On the 8th hole I said to the guys this is a really hard course, and the guys on tour eat this place alive - and shoot 20-25 under playing it 800-1,000 yards longer. And that's the "B-team" of PGA players. They play a different game than we do.

Crazy to think that one of the guys on the PGA Tour shot 59 there earlier this season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:14 pm 

Shepherds Crook is on my list to try.

My "bucket list" trip would be to spend a couple weeks in Scotland/Ireland/England doing a golf/sightseeing tour.

Maybe I can get Sir Nick Faldo to plan it for me....
https://www.hiddenlinksgolf.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:35 am 

As mentioned earlier in the thread my main driver is semi-broken and I have gone to using a ten year old Titleist driver I bought as a backup this past offseason. I was looking around last night at Callaway Pre-Owned which I've had a lot of luck with and bought all three of my hybrids from there at reasonable prices. No interest in spending $600 or more on a new driver so actually stumbled upon a place where you can buy new and used Titleist equipment called Titleist Certified. Place looks legit and they sell all clubs other than putters. I'd assume their available stock will go up now that the season is winding down. I have heard great things about the GT drivers but no way I am spending that kind of money so looking at the TSR2 which is also a really nice driver. I was finding them in the loft and shaft configuration I'd like for around $329 which I can stomach.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:58 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
T-Bone wrote:
As mentioned earlier in the thread my main driver is semi-broken and I have gone to using a ten year old Titleist driver I bought as a backup this past offseason. I was looking around last night at Callaway Pre-Owned which I've had a lot of luck with and bought all three of my hybrids from there at reasonable prices. No interest in spending $600 or more on a new driver so actually stumbled upon a place where you can buy new and used Titleist equipment called Titleist Certified. Place looks legit and they sell all clubs other than putters. I'd assume their available stock will go up now that the season is winding down. I have heard great things about the GT drivers but no way I am spending that kind of money so looking at the TSR2 which is also a really nice driver. I was finding them in the loft and shaft configuration I'd like for around $329 which I can stomach.

All depends on the condition evaluation to me when I shop used like that. Mostly I think deals are great but last year or so prices for used are higher. Like everything I guess?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:30 am 

pittmike wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

All depends on the condition evaluation to me when I shop used like that. Mostly I think deals are great but last year or so prices for used are higher. Like everything I guess?

Everything I have gotten from Callaway Pre-Owned has come to me looking brand new even when I bought average condition. I used to just go to Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore and check out their used stuff on a semi-regular basis after the season was over, but I am a solid 40 minutes from either of those stores and it is a crap shoot what they might have. At this point in my golfing life I pretty much know what I am looking for and don't need to hit balls into a net or get fit for something. As long as the club isn't beat up or have a bunch of sky ball marks on the top of the head I'm generally not too worried about the conditioning. These websites have just made it easier to find what you are looking for, probably at a slightly higher price as you mention, but more convenient. If a driver lasts me 4-5 years at $330 dollars I'd call it a win.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12