It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:17 pm 

RICH EISEN OFFERS BACKUP IN ANCHOR FIGHT AS DAN PATRICK ADDRESSES COLIN COWHERD’S ‘LAZY’ JAB

Jake O'Donnell 12:19 pm, February 3rd, 2015

In case you missed it yesterday, Colin Cowherd went out of his way to praise Skip Bayless for his tireless reporting on Johnny Manziel’s substance abuse issues.

“Skip outworks everybody,” he said. “Dan Patrick needs 35 producers to fill a segment.”

The same Dan Patrick who took a redeye flight Sunday night from the Super Bowl in Arizona — where he handed out the Vince Lombardi Trophy — to New York for a 9 a.m. simulcast show. If that’s considered lazy then we’ll assume Colin Cowherd does not sleep.

Their beef dates back to (at least) 2012, when Patrick called out Cowherd for ripping him off and using the same question about concussions and youth football to open his interview with Kurt Warner.

It took a call from Rich Eisen, who brought up Cowherd’s insinuation that he was “lazy” and offered to “bring a blowtorch” to any back alley anchor fight, to get D.P. to drop this brutal verse on his arch nemesis over at the mothership. Some prime aged beef right here. Enjoy!

ALL RIGHT. RICH BROUGHT IT UP. I’LL COMMENT ON IT BRIEFLY. I GUESS COLIN COWHERD, WHO WAS TALKING ABOUT JIM ROME AND SKIP BAYLESS’S WORK ETHIC AND HIMSELF, COLIN THROWING HIMSELF IN THERE ABOUT HOW HARD THEY WORK, AND THAT I HAVE 35 PRODUCERS AND SOMEHOW I’M LAZY AND DON’T HAVE A GOOD WORK ETHIC. I’M PARAPHRASING. I WAS JUST TOLD ABOUT THIS YESTERDAY. I DON’T HAVE 35 PRODUCERS. I DON’T WORK AT THE WORLDWIDE LEADER. I DO HAVE TWO PRODUCERS HERE WHO DID WORK ON COLIN’S SHOW. THE ONE THING I DO IS GIVE CREDIT TO MY PRODUCERS ON THE AIR. IT’S NOT A ONE-MAN SHOW. SO ALL THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE SCENES WHO HELP COLIN DO HIS SHOW, THEY DON’T GET ANY RECOGNITION. I CHOOSE TO RECOGNIZE THE PEOPLE WHO WORK ON THIS SHOW, AND THAT’S WHY I HAVE THEM WITH ME. AS FAR AS WORK ETHIC, I DON’T KNOW HOW HARD COLIN COWHERD WORKS, SKIP BAYLESS, JIM ROME, I ASSUME THEY WORK HARD. I HOPE THEY DO. IF YOU WANT TO COMPARE ME TO SKIP BAYLESS, FINE, GO AHEAD. COLIN SHOULD UNDERSTAND TWO WHO WORK WITH ME AT SPORTSCENTER MANAGEMENT AT ESPN E-MAILED TO APOLOGIZE SAYING THEY WERE EMBARRASSED THAT COLIN WOULD BRING SOMETHING UP LIKE THAT. COLIN NEEDS TO WORK HARDER UNDERSTANDING HOW HARD WE WORK ON THIS SHOW. THAT WOULD BE MY SUGGESTION. WHAT WAS IT, A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I WASN’T ON HIS RADAR, NOW I’M ON HIS SHOW, THOUGH. MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT. AND HE’S WATCHING THE SHOW, WHICH I APPRECIATE. BUT, HEY, YOU WAN TO CRITICIZE, CRITICIZE. YOU WANT TO USE YOUR AIR TIME, GO AHEAD. CRITICIZE ALL I WANT. IF YOU’RE CRITICIZING ME BECAUSE OF ROB GRONKOWSKI MOMENT ON THE PODIUM, YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DO IT. GUILTY AS CHARGED. I CRITICIZE MYSELF. YOU KNOW WHAT, COLIN, I’M GOOD ENOUGH TO MAKE A MISTAKE IN FRONT OF 100 MILLION PEOPLE. ARE YOU? HERE IS ONE THING, WE ALL HAVE ESPN MUSCLES. I HAD THEM FOR 18 YEARS. LEAVE ESPN. GET OUT AND DO WHAT I DO. TRY IT. TRY RADIO NETWORK. TRY SIMULCAST. MAYBE COLIN FOR “SPORTS ILLUSTRATED.” THAT’S RIGHT. HOST THE OLYMPICS FOOTBALL NIGHT IN AMERICA AND DO SPORTS JEOPARDY AS WELL, COLIN, TRY IT. THEN WE CAN DISCUSS WORK ETHIC. UNTIL THEN, ENJOY YOUR SHOW, ENJOY YOUR LIFE, BECAUSE IT WILL BE OVER ONE DAY AND NOBODY WILL CARE, JUST LIKE NOBODY IS GOING TO CARE ABOUT WHAT I’M SAYING RIGHT NOW. I’VE GOT TO TAKE A NAP. I’M EXHAUSTED FROM WORKING SO HARD ON THIS SHOW.

Gotta rack him

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: None at all
Cowherd is a race baiting gimmick. Being an ESPN puppet he probably has about ten interns doing the work for him anyway.

Also, who does Bayless out work anymore? I would say that used to be the case, but it doesn't take much effort to throw up strawmen, call everyone an idiot, then stroke yourself off. Just ask Bernstein.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:39 pm 

Cowherd is one in a seemingly expanding group of sports talkers who simply take up space between commercials on a national radio network.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Cowherd is one in a seemingly expanding group of sports talkers who simply take up space between commercials on a national radio network.

Seriously.

He makes Dan Patrick and even Scott Van Pelt look like Studs Terkel by comparison

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I've always been a Dan Patrick fan. Cowherd has never interested me...his radio show is not good. I enjoy Dan Patrick giving him shit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:00 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Seriously.

He makes Dan Patrick and even Scott Van Pelt look like Studs Terkel by comparison

and I think these guys make big bucks, even as they get no ratings in markets larger than Boise

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Not a fan of either one. But if they want to fight it out, that's fine. One assumes there's nothing else more worthy to talk about. (Being the hard workers both are... No, wait a minute. How did I inject myself into this?!? Damn :twisted: )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Seriously.

and I think these guys make big bucks, even as they get no ratings in markets larger than Boise

Dan Patrick makes $5 million per year.

How the fuck does Jim Rome make $30 million per year?????

http://www.therichest.com/sports/baseball-sports/sports-commentators/who-are-the-highest-paid-sports-commentators-in-the-world/?view=all

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:09 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
Jim Rome takes a lot of vacation, because Jim Rome GETS a lot of vacation.
Same can be true of the money he makes.
He's the best in the biz.

As far as the Cowherd/Patrick thing....
I still like Dan Patrick, but I've tried to watch his simulcast on NBCSN, and it makes me uncomfortable.
The way Paulie, McLovin, Fritzy all raise their hands to interject, like they're in a classroom begging the teacher to pick them to answer.
Dp's show on ESPn, back in the old days with Phil the showkiller and Dibble was what got me into sports talk radio.
I miss those days.
I don't believe I've ever heard the sound of Cowherd's voice, but from what I've gathered, he sounds like a douche.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:26 am 

Scorehead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Seriously.

Dan Patrick makes $5 million per year.

How the fuck does Jim Rome make $30 million per year?????

http://www.therichest.com/sports/baseball-sports/sports-commentators/who-are-the-highest-paid-sports-commentators-in-the-world/?view=all

He's either the number 1, 2, or 3 guy in all of sports radio depending on the list. Not really that shocking. And he's a hustler. He's got like 9 shows going.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:29 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
Jim Rome takes a lot of vacation, because Jim Rome GETS a lot of vacation.
Same can be true of the money he makes.
He's the best in the biz.

As far as the Cowherd/Patrick thing....
I still like Dan Patrick, but I've tried to watch his simulcast on NBCSN, and it makes me uncomfortable.
The way Paulie, McLovin, Fritzy all raise their hands to interject, like they're in a classroom begging the teacher to pick them to answer.
Dp's show on ESPn, back in the old days with Phil the showkiller and Dibble was what got me into sports talk radio.
I miss those days.
I don't believe I've ever heard the sound of Cowherd's voice, but from what I've gathered, he sounds like a douche.

The only thing I ever respected about Rome was how he went toe-to-toe with David Stern in the spring of 2012 about the draft being fixed.

He totally handled himself like a guy who makes $30 Mil/Yr in that exchange - held his own.

IMO, basically led to Stern retiring and directing the refs to give the Miami Heat the next 2 championships - just to spite everyone who was calling him a cheater.

Rome wasnt even alleging the draft was fixed. He was saying....there are these allegations out there and there's nothing to them right?

Good interview question. If Stern would have answered that "Yes, it's ridiculous" they would have moved on, but Stern doesnt like it even being brought up (get real Dave) like that and acted like a child so Rome did the only thing he could.

Weird how that went down.