It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I would much rather listen to Murph’s corny segments (Thin Books, I PREDICT, etc) and him ripping the Cubs a new one every day, than listen to Bernstein carry water for Craig Counsell. Some of that change is due to becoming partners with the Cubs and part is losing the more colorful hosts.

There were countless times I would sit in my driveway in the car after work listening to the HFC because it was so entertaining and I didn’t want to miss a segment. Haven’t felt that way in decades.

Hell, I’d take Hampton over Herron, or Tommy Williams (RIP) over Goff.

Exactly. I don't care so much about taking callers. I care that they've watered down content into being a combination of
1. Reading news headlines
2. Carrying water for teams affiliated with the station
3. Interviews with players, coaches, other media that have nothing interesting to say

The station was great when they were concerned about entertaining themselves and the audience. No one on the station has any fun. It's just recycled and regurgitated statements with no depth.

The type of “ fun” the hosts had in the past wouldn’t jibe with today’s “ evolved” scene . It just wouldn’t . Guys like Lil Danny helped usher this in too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
pittmike wrote:
Your #2 is big to me. Very different before Cubs etc on the score.

It's a very different relationship from the one they had with the Sox. They shat all over the Sox and that was back when they were fielding decent teams.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
To me the worst are the player / coach interviews. None of them have anything interesting to say....even before today's cancel culture....15 years ago, a likeable guy like Mark Buehrle really had very little to say. Just wasted air space of nothing. Then there's the "experts"....yeah, let's hear Peter Gammons or Jon Heyman read off stat sheets.

Riveting.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
badrogue17 wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I would much rather listen to Murph’s corny segments (Thin Books, I PREDICT, etc) and him ripping the Cubs a new one every day, than listen to Bernstein carry water for Craig Counsell. Some of that change is due to becoming partners with the Cubs and part is losing the more colorful hosts.

There were countless times I would sit in my driveway in the car after work listening to the HFC because it was so entertaining and I didn’t want to miss a segment. Haven’t felt that way in decades.

Exactly. I don't care so much about taking callers. I care that they've watered down content into being a combination of
1. Reading news headlines
2. Carrying water for teams affiliated with the station
3. Interviews with players, coaches, other media that have nothing interesting to say

The station was great when they were concerned about entertaining themselves and the audience. No one on the station has any fun. It's just recycled and regurgitated statements with no depth.

The type of “ fun” the hosts had in the past wouldn’t jibe with today’s “ evolved” scene . It just wouldn’t . Guys like Lil Danny helped usher this in too.

It's weird because I would say that mid-day B&B seemed to feature Bernstein as more of a personality, then he became a personality/stathead hybrid once Moneyball came out at the height of their power, and has since devolved into the modern era of on-air sports guy who is just an interchangeable vector for arguing about stats and making stats-based top 10 lists.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
BigW72 wrote:
To me the worst are the player / coach interviews. None of them have anything interesting to say....even before today's cancel culture....15 years ago, a likeable guy like Mark Buehrle really had very little to say. Just wasted air space of nothing. Then there's the "experts"....yeah, let's hear Peter Gammons or Jon Heyman read off stat sheets.

Riveting.

I like hearing one of the nondescript cubs advertise his coffee company. Great radio.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Find most of the discussion and exasperating rehash of an era that will never come back, but there does seem to be value in creating at least some unique content to differentiate yourself.

The current WSCR product consists of host after host and guest after guest that give you nearly identical takes, this is quite typical of everything you find on network and cable media and is why people have and will continue to flee to digital platforms. Not sure if Bernstein could do a show where he couldn't rely on the crutch of regurgitating the approved left wing takes of the day or needlessly apply approved spin takes to any and all subjects.

Do find this modern media environment odd as you can ask two people what color the sky is and you would get two different answers, yet you had years of all the WSCR hosts telling you what a genius Matt Nagy was even though anyone with an ounce of football acumen could see the emperor was not wearing clothes.

McAfee signs a huge deal for basically doing what Pappy, Uncle Terry, and Mac were doing 20 years ago and nobody sees that the goofy approach to sports talk works? It kinda makes you wonder just how smart these radio executives are, but being an AM radio executive these days is literally like being the world's tallest midget.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:11 pm 

The job calls for either a well intentioned idiot or a smarmy douche.

Not a ton in between.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
It's weird because I would say that mid-day B&B seemed to feature Bernstein as more of a personality, then he became a personality/stathead hybrid once Moneyball came out at the height of their power, and has since devolved into the modern era of on-air sports guy who is just an interchangeable vector for arguing about stats and making stats-based top 10 lists.

Moneyball the book or the movie? Because the book was '03, I started listening '06, and I don't remember him being that into sabermetrics for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Curious Hair wrote:

Moneyball the book or the movie? Because the book was '03, I started listening '06, and I don't remember him being that into sabermetrics for a while.

Bernstein might be the prototype for the serious stat guy nerd in the local/national sports talk radio formula of pairing an Ex-jock with a nerd, come to think of it WSCR features two nerds for most of the day and almost all the guests are from the same back of the baseball card memorizing cadre of goofs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:07 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

He was definitely into it then as every baseball thought he had back then was whatever Joe Sheehan told him to think.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:09 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:

McAfee signs a huge deal for basically doing what Pappy, Uncle Terry, and Mac were doing 20 years ago and nobody sees that the goofy approach to sports talk works? It kinda makes you wonder just how smart these radio executives are, but being an AM radio executive these days is literally like being the world's tallest midget.

This is pretty much what Barstool is (no shock McAfee's first media gig was there).

It's why if I were looking to get into sports talk as a career today, I'd be looking anywhere other than an Audacy owned station.

Nothing drove home how much modern Barstool has captured that 90s energy of sports talk than when they hosted Mike North for one of their Red Line shows a few years ago. It really struck a chord with how what they were doing at Barstool is just the modern version of what early Score was.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:12 pm 

He was also equally vocal about not understanding the stats he dogmatized. I think his standard explanation was something along the lines of “you have to be a rocket scientist to understand these calculations,” or some such nonsense.

He smart, but he’s language arts smart.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
BigW72 wrote:

Riveting.

It depends on the interviewer. Dan Patrick seems to get them to be interesting/fun. His show is a good mix of sports, "guy talk", and fun. Obviously not a focus on local sports but a good listen in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:36 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
He was also equally vocal about not understanding the stats he dogmatized. I think his standard explanation was something along the lines of “you have to be a rocket scientist to understand these calculations,” or some such nonsense.

Which is exactly why I always found it so weird that the Gawker crowd full-throatedly embraced sabermetrics. Like, if anyone should be analyzing baseball strictly on vibes, it's English majors from private schools who think the greatest band of all time is the Strokes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:24 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:36 pm 

Look how Not Mad Online he is. He's already in midseason form and they haven't even announced it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
RFDC wrote:

Already playing the phantom victim. He must know he has the job. Are they going to pair him with July? Seems like they would get along.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:39 pm 

So if it is going to be Goff what will they do? Do they just put him with Meatpants in afternoons or do they switch things up? Larry and Goff in middays and Meat and Bernsie in afternoons? that would seem like the logical choice

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Already playing the phantom victim. He must know he has the job. Are they going to pair him with July? Seems like they would get along.

And the replies seem almost all in his favor, so he’s full of shit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:27 am 

pizza_Place: Peqouds
If Goff comes back it will be the demise of that station.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:28 am 

BigW72 wrote:

Riveting.

I like hearing one of the nondescript cubs advertise his coffee company. Great radio.

and how many grindy Nico Hoerner types has Bernstein, in the past, railed against for being overloved by fans only because of demographic bias? Yet there Bernstein is, loving a light hitting, white second baseman because he does interviews with the station

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:36 am 

I'd give Goff the benefit of the doubt for yet another time. Maybe he learned some lessons. There was a time when Jason (and drinky) was a fun listen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:42 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:

Which is exactly why I always found it so weird that the Gawker crowd full-throatedly embraced sabermetrics. Like, if anyone should be analyzing baseball strictly on vibes, it's English majors from private schools who think the greatest band of all time is the Strokes.

I have said it many times but maybe my mic is not on? Sabermetrics serves, not solely, the person wish to discuss baseball and baseball players without having to watch any of it. Just compare numbers and believe in them blindly.

Terry Boers and similar guys would stay up late and watch out of town baseball as well as both Chicago teams. Do you think any besides SPiegs is watching that much baseball and able to discuss it outside of WAR and all that stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Riveting.

and how many grindy Nico Hoerner types has Bernstein, in the past, railed against for being overloved by fans only because of demographic bias? Yet there Bernstein is, loving a light hitting, white second baseman because he does interviews with the station

Yep.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:48 am 

To be fair , they do have Willie Harris as a coach.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:49 am 

Goff returning to reclaim his throne is like a movie but in real life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:15 am 

Mitch has a bizarro “ Kenny signing Griffey Jr “ thing apparently. not the Goff ever really had a prime.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:26 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:

It was definitely after '06 that he started becoming a total jerk about it. I remember him getting embroiled in a debate with Matt Rodewald* about RBI, where he was essentially treating him like a stupid caller. His dick behavior then took another step up when The MVP Machine came out and started to gain some traction.

*Speaking of Rodewald, he was recently involved in this bizarre piece of litigation:

https://cookcountyrecord.com/stories/64 ... strict-219

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:33 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Mitch has a bizarro “ Kenny signing Griffey Jr “ thing apparently. not the Goff ever really had a prime.

how old is he? Someone seems to have scrubbed it from these here internets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: New Mexico has no good pizza. Send help.
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Super well-put. Same, same. Now the Score helps me sleep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next