It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:16 pm 

OmerAsik heard me lamenting my lack of discipline lately and suggests eating right for five days, then eating whatever for two days each week. That's better than what I've been doing, Omer. Gonna go on a "clean out" from toxins and add exercise to the mix this week. Up to 211. Need to be less than 200. Starting an exercise program and making it a priority for the first week is the hardest part. I also find it easier to do stuff outdoors (swimming, walking, yard work, golf) than I do going to the gym in the dead of winter.

Peoria Matt is curious about what ESPN contracts are up soon. I was wrong about that, Matt. We were hoping to get Delevitt but he got the PD job at ESPN. Juday also is locked up for a long time. So is Jurko. Not sure about the others.

jimmypasta is curious about my "personal attacks" on the appearances of Ron Karkovice and Peggy Kuzinski. It's being immature and mean that produces that, jimmypasta. I don't feel good about myself when I resort to that. With Peggy, however, she chooses to earn he living in front of a camera. When somebody does that, they are subjecting themselves to "Ruth Buzzi treatment." Sometimes an attempt to be funny comes at the expense of others. Often, it misses on many levels.

NSJ wants me to rate the level of fun, on a scale of 1-10, with MJH and DMS. Also wants to know pros and cons of the move to the Score. I struggled with "fun" on MJH the first two years. It then became the mantra and that's the reason the show was a ratings success. People like fun. I break fingernails hitting the button on a lot of anger on the radio. Current show established a high fun level fairly quickly. Spiegel, Zawasky, Finfer and Five Feathers are fun guys and I hope this core is together a long time. Pros and cons? It's nice to have far fewer restrictions on language and content. Management stays out of the way. Mitch is great at massaging shoulders and manages many egos very well. I miss the across-the-board feeling of "team" at ESPN. At the Score, with a few exceptions, each show is an island. Jason and Matty are a lot of fun to be around. I also enjoy Grote and Bartosh. At ESPN, we ALL really liked being around each other. Even Harry and me. At the Score, the management team is much more fun to be around than it was at ESPN.

Player312 asked about the most impressive freshwater fish I ever boated. Probably a largemouth more than 9 lbs in Orlando. Got a 24-lb king salmon on Lake Michigan in '96. A 17-lb brown trout in '98 made a beautiful mount and is above the fireplace. Caught a chunky near 6-lb smallmouth last summer in Canada. Biggest walleye (two summers ago) was abou 25" and went abou 8 lbs. Thanks for getting me thinking about warm weather and the joys of chuckin' and windin'. I'm doing at least two weeks in NW Ontario this coming summer. My deal expires 6/15. If I wind up with a new gig, I won't start it until 8/1 because I'll be fishing and starting on a new book.

Halfpint says Sports Jeopardy is stale and that the Friday over/under segment isn't funny. SJ is once a week. I enjoy it. Trivia isn't for everybody, I know, but it's 10 minutes out of 20 hours of weekly programming. Overs/unders aren't necessarily intended to be funny. Having said that, the segment doesn't knock me out either. New games planned? Yes. I wanna do some sports movies contests -- with accompanying soundbytes -- next month. Nothing says "February" like a "Caddyshack" or "Slapshot" tournament.

RPB asks for a North story. Super Bowl in San Diego in '98. The hotel the Score had us at was just okay. I don't spend much time in a hotel room so I was among those who didn't really give a shit. Mike felt otherwise. Went to the NFC hotel, which is booked solid a year in advance, and played the "Don't you know who I am?" card. Having said that, I miss Mike and also miss hearing him on the radio. Looks like his "15 minutes" are up. That's sad. It didn't have to be that way, but he wouldn't listen to solid suggestions that were made to him. We reap what we sew.

OOgie wonders when the next HFC reunion show is. Likely a St. Patrick's Day event. I'd like to do them more regularly. I'd like to do afternoons PERIOD more regularly. A boy can dream. I enjoyed working with Terry on my birthday last August and Spiegel and Berns seemed to enjoy their partnership, too.

Urlacher's missing neck wants thoughts on Super Bowl halftime entertainment. I couldn't care less, truthfully. I usually don't watch it anyway because of the restrictions placed on the bands. I watched the Who last year. Flagged on it in three minutes. While at the Super Bowl in Miami four years ago, I chose the smoking ramp at Dolphins Stadium over Prince.

Frank Coztansa is curious about this year's tailgate plans. Haven't thought about it yet, Frank. Likely will involve Buzzbait Brian and his wild game offerings.... and some healthy and unhealthy options off my grill(s). Hopefully BF does his awesome rubs again, too. We'll pencil in a date shortly after the season opens.

doug - evergreen park inquires about a golf outing. Boy, would I like to do one. I approach charity events at ALL radio stations with tremendous trepidation. Stations get their fingers in the charity pie and I have a HUGE problem with that. Still miffed about events surrounding the last MJH outing. Charity means just that, not favors for sponsors. There also were some silent auction donations shoved to the side for a V Foundation outing, too. I hope to do one, but will do it ONLY if it's done the right way. Balmoral Woods and Strawberry Creek (Hilgenberg's place in Southern Wisconsin) have inquired about hosting it.

Darkside wants to kill small, defenseless rabbits with me next December. Lead me to it, as long as you're going to harvest them afterward. I don't kill for killin' sake. If we're having a feast shortly after the kill, I absolutely will get some shotgun training and tag along.

good dolphin asks if middays are as "prestigious shift" as drive times. Yes and no. I've made no bones about wanting to do afternoons again, but it's not really about "prestige." It's about where I feel most comfortable and where I feel I belong: taking people home. I don't mind the early wakeups, but I'm a slow starter and not nuts about thinking/talking so much so early in the day. It's undoing 18 years of routine. A lot of people tell me they can't listen as much as they used to (good dolphin included) and that sucks but I also have picked up some new listeners who otherwise couldn't listen.

johnnyfontane asks who is "the toughest" Score host. Not sure what that means. Toughest as in ability to fight? Wow. Never thought I'd get asked that. I'll play along. If that what you mean is who's the guy you want on your side in an alley, the answer is me. Of the guys on the airstaff who didn't play in the NFL, I see myself as the most capable street fighter. I'd anticipate Goff would be the toughest opponent. He's younger... probably stronger... a little bigger. What I don't know -- and don't really want to -- is what he possesses in terms of what Jurko calls "willingness to engage." It is that characteristic that means as much as anything in a fight. I'm nearing 50 and have had spinal fusion surgery so I'd like to think my fistic career is in the rear view mirror. If pushed to the brink, however, I believe in my skills and ability to flip the switch to the dark side.

JimmyReardon wonders why transitions aren't available on demand. I thought they were. I'll check Monday. He also remembers "On Frozen Pond" with fondness. My God, was that a trainwreck. But fun. I don't recall the names of the "characters" other than remembering I was French Canadian. Terry was the stereotypical mumbling Canuck.

Gridiron Assassin asks for a critique of "The Fighter" and "The Town." Still need to see "The Town." Saw "The Fighter" Friday afternoon. Wasn't knocked out. Get it? Insert Harry honk. Performances were solid, but it's a typical boxing movie. Boy wants title. Boy overcomes family issues. Boy meets girl. Kind of thin for me. Felt like I'd seen it a dozen times before. Been going to the movies a lot in the last couple months. Still rooting for "The Black Swan" to win the Oscar, but I need to see "The King's Speech" and a couple others. "The Dilemma" is the worst Vince Vaughn effort ever.

jemadden wants to know who the biggest jerk athletes I've met. Bill Laimbeer and Danny Ainge would be among them. Bears linebacker John Roper was a piece of shit. Ray Bourque of the Bruins was the most assholio NHLer I ever met. Rick Sutcliffe is a fake good guy. A.J. can be a dick (who knew?). Guys I thought would be dicks who weren't include Will Clark, Roger Craig & Wayne Gretzky.

shultzzy wonders about a remote at the combine. It would be fun. It likely never will happen. I'd also love doing a few shows from Mobile, Ala. at the Senior Bowl but that also likely never will happen.

Zizou asks if I'm a Jewel guy or a Strack & Van Til guy. Both. I like to support family businesses (especially locally) but the fish counter at Strack's NEVER has anything good. The Dyer Jewel has a good variety, a lot of specialty items (fine cheeses, grain breads) that are tough to find elsehwere and I also frequent businesses with a friendly staff. I also frequent Butterfingers (desserts, quiches and pre-made dinners), Southside Bantam (great steaks and seasoned leg of lamb) and Howard & Sons meats (prime rib roasts). Like I said, I support local commerce.

Keyser Soze wants to know when Cubs-Sox bets will be negotiated. That's a spring training staple. Looks like we'll be in Arizona March 7-9.

Oak Forest Blarney wants to know where he can get hockey socks for his wife. Jerry's Hockey OUtlet in Alsip, right off 294, is where I always have shopped for my/her hockey stuff. Enjoy, Blarney. I'm aroused thinking about it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Mac wrote:
Darkside wants to kill small, defenseless rabbits with me next December. Lead me to it, as long as you're going to harvest them afterward. I don't kill for killin' sake. If we're having a feast shortly after the kill, I absolutely will get some shotgun training and tag along.

Yeah dude, they stink when you clean em but, the coooool thing is that besides tasting great in stew the skins are fantastic... 2 or 3 wabbits and you've got yourself a sweet pair of rabbitfur gloves for you and/or your lady there.

So yeah, we'll get em cleaned up fur ya, and then we eat em. Might even knock a couple Pheasants down while you're at it. Now that's eatin!

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Mac wrote:
jemadden wants to know who the biggest jerk athletes I've met. Guys I thought would be dicks who weren't include Will Clark, Roger Craig & Wayne Gretzky.

Gretzky was one of the most nicest guys I have ever met period Mac. (Button 48 ) Speant about 20 minutes with us and came back again to talk about Chicago . Other guy whom you thought might of been a tool but turned out to be great with his time and a very likable guy was Jason Giambi .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
When are you dumping Spiegel?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Slap Shot ED wrote:
Gretzky was one of the most nicest guys I have ever met period Mac. (Button 48 ) Speant about 20 minutes with us and came back again to talk about Chicago . Other guy whom you thought might of been a tool but turned out to be great with his time and a very likable guy was Jason Giambi .

But everybody likes you.

Mac check your in box.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Mac wrote:
OmerAsik heard me lamenting my lack of discipline lately and suggests eating right for five days, then eating whatever for two days each week. That's better than what I've been doing, Omer. Gonna go on a "clean out" from toxins and add exercise to the mix this week.

I really hope you're not falling for one of those Master Cleanse type scams.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Mac wrote:
OmerAsik heard me lamenting my lack of discipline lately and suggests eating right for five days, then eating whatever for two days each week. That's better than what I've been doing, Omer. Gonna go on a "clean out" from toxins and add exercise to the mix this week.

I really hope you're not falling for one of those Master Cleanse type scams.

Fuck! That's why the Jewel in Dyer was out of Log Cabin syrup this morning!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Mac wrote:
We reap what we sew.

Are you referring, in an Italian accent no less, about tearing some socks you just darned? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:52 pm 

That is right in my backyard, considere it done and thanks Mac! Hope you have a remote in my neck of the woods soon, and 3/17 is my B-Day!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Well, all I got to say is thanks Dan for taking time to answer our questions put to you no matter how off the wall they are. Now get goff to come on and start talking he has a huge fan base round these parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:44 pm 

JimmyReardon wonders why transitions aren't available on demand. I thought they were. I'll check Monday.

Transitions can be found under the Podcasts tab in the Boers and Bernstein section.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Mac wrote:

doug - evergreen park inquires about a golf outing. Boy, would I like to do one. I approach charity events at ALL radio stations with tremendous trepidation. Stations get their fingers in the charity pie and I have a HUGE problem with that. Still miffed about events surrounding the last MJH outing. Charity means just that, not favors for sponsors. There also were some silent auction donations shoved to the side for a V Foundation outing, too. I hope to do one, but will do it ONLY if it's done the right way. Balmoral Woods and Strawberry Creek (Hilgenberg's place in Southern Wisconsin) have inquired about hosting it.

Strawberry Creek is just a few miles from my place, one of the nicer courses in the area. Got a chance to play
there when they were still semi-private. Golf outing would be a good time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
wow! Look at Hemingway go! Mac did more reading of a thread than I have done in ...well ever!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Way to ignore all of the Spiegel questions Mac.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Scorehead wrote:

He said he hopes the core of the show is together a long time. What part of that confused you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
A7X wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

He said he hopes the core of the show is together a long time. What part of that confused you?

That sounds like he didn't want to say Spiegel's name & commit to him. Mac knows most of his listeners don't like Meastpants, but he's probably working cheap.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Thanks for answering the questions Mac and if I read it a little diffrently, Mac said when his deal expires 6/15 and may start a new gig on 8/1, that could be away of saying he may be in a diffrent spot and Spigel somewhere else.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 am 

2 More questions for you Mac;
1 - Howard & Sons is good but have you tried Welch's Stop and Shop?
2 - Any chances of a remote in NWI for you and Spiegs like MJH used to do?
I'll hang up and listen for my answers.

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
w00t. Golf outing possible and a tailgate. I'll do my best to be there for both.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:25 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
w00t. Golf outing possible and a tailgate. I'll do my best to be there for both.

Dontcha want to kill some furry animals?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 am 
100000 CLUB

Actually, I'd love to hunt at some point

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Actually, I'd love to hunt at some point

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/foidapp.cfm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:36 am 
1000 CLUB

A7X wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

The part about Spiegel being a core element of the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mackeyfish,

How are you handling the fact that this thread is only starting the second page?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

It probably would have stayed at a dismal one page for a while if you didn't post, pushing this thread into a second page.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mackey,

Is STU-GOTZ a real person or a Frank Costanza mult?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Damn. A little air time for my question today. Meat gets another notch of respect for not liking the fergmonster and the peas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:

NSJ wants me to rate the level of fun, on a scale of 1-10, with MJH and DMS. Also wants to know pros and cons of the move to the Score. I struggled with "fun" on MJH the first two years. It then became the mantra and that's the reason the show was a ratings success. People like fun. I break fingernails hitting the button on a lot of anger on the radio. Current show established a high fun level fairly quickly. Spiegel, Zawasky, Finfer and Five Feathers are fun guys and I hope this core is together a long time. Pros and cons? It's nice to have far fewer restrictions on language and content. Management stays out of the way. Mitch is great at massaging shoulders and manages many egos very well. I miss the across-the-board feeling of "team" at ESPN. At the Score, with a few exceptions, each show is an island. Jason and Matty are a lot of fun to be around. I also enjoy Grote and Bartosh. At ESPN, we ALL really liked being around each other. Even Harry and me. At the Score, the management team is much more fun to be around than it was at ESPN.

Thanks for getting me thinking about warm weather and the joys of chuckin' and windin'. I'm doing at least two weeks in NW Ontario this coming summer. My deal expires 6/15. If I wind up with a new gig, I won't start it until 8/1 because I'll be fishing and starting on a new book.

Sounds like you don't get along with Mully, Hanley or Bernstein. I guess they just don't realize your star power. Good luck on the new gig, unless you sign AGAIN for a recession contract.

BTW, when you start reading that book, ask for help with the big words.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Score is doomed wrote:
BTW, when you start reading that book, ask for help with the big words.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
McFish-

When is "What's in the vending machine?" coming back to the airwaves? As much as that was an eye roll seg, I'm starting to miss it. :wink:

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.