It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:31 pm 

Another reason not to grieve Alpo - this poor beast was kept alive in great pain for the last 9 months because his owners hoped he could make them a boat load of money in stud fees. This wasn't humanitarians trying to keep a noble beast alive, it was investors protecting their capital; his death wasn't a merciful end to his pain, it was cutting their financial losses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Great point Boogie. I love how no one is mentioning that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Oh don't worry, the owners got their pound of flesh out of Alpo before he was ground up flesh. Pretty sure he was given a test tube, a VCR, and a copy of "Mare's Gone Wild" in that stall before he bought the farm. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Jobu
Quote:
Dr. Winston O'Boogie wrote:
Another reason not to grieve Alpo - this poor beast was kept alive in great pain for the last 9 months because his owners hoped he could make them a boat load of money in stud fees. This wasn't humanitarians trying to keep a noble beast alive, it was investors protecting their capital; his death wasn't a merciful end to his pain, it was cutting their financial losses.

Perhaps, Mr. Lennon. However, a few things should be noted:

1) Barbaro's owners could have promptly euthanized him and easily collected on their Insurance policy following the initial injury in May, 2006;
2) It remains questionable whether Barbaro would have been able to reproduce. The act of mounting a mare requires a tremendous amount of torque and pressure on a horse's hind legs. Based upon his initial injury, it is unlikely that he would have been able to perform this act;
3) Artificial insemination is not permitted in the breeding of Thoroughbreds.

I don't know the true motivations of these owners. However, it remains a possibility that they have spent tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of dollars to try to help this horse that they loved live.

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:22 pm 

What I find unbelievable about the situation is that since the injury, the Barbaro Fund has collected over $1.2 million for his medical care.

Can somoeone please explain to me the motivation involved in making a monetary donation to owners who have the financial means required to purchase and train 70+ racehorses, and to a horse with career winnings of $2.3 million dollars. And as Roses points out, there is still the matter of the insurance settlement.

And to think that Americans are not a charitable bunch.

Fu@k Aids in Africa!
Fu@k breast cancer!
Fu@k Katrina victims - that was last year.

America has a horse to save!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:08 pm 

Fargin Bastage wrote:
Oh don't worry, the owners got their pound of flesh out of Alpo before he was ground up flesh. Pretty sure he was given a test tube, a VCR, and a copy of "Mare's Gone Wild" in that stall before he bought the farm. :shock:

Unfortunately in thoroughbred racing, you cannot produce a race horse from artifical insemination.

Moving along.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

Althought the title of this thread seems to suggest a boring topic, it's got some of the best one-liners. Kudos to all for:

Quote:
Know what Barbaro would do if it was his trainer who had to be put down? Not a goddamn thing, because he's a fucking horse.

Quote:
I will spend more time grieving an unknown and unreported civilian killed in Iraq than I will Barbaro.

Quote:
I will cry when they kill him in the movie that will eventually be made of this event.

Quote:
Pretty sure he was given a test tube, a VCR, and a copy of "Mare's Gone Wild" in that stall before he bought the farm.

Quote:
Can somoeone please explain to me the motivation involved in making a monetary donation to owners who have the financial means required to purchase and train 70+ racehorses, and to a horse with career winnings of $2.3 million dollars.

Quote:
Fu@k Katrina victims - that was last year.

America has a horse to save!!!

I think the "Mares Gone Wild" post is my favorite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:25 am 

Quote:
Unfortunately in thoroughbred racing, you cannot produce a race horse from artifical insemination.

Knowing nothing about thoroughbreds, I must ask:

Why not? They've been using artificial insemination on livestock for years; they've been using it with people for years. What makes the sport of thouroughbred racing so special that it would be unethical to artificially inseminate a horse?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:31 pm 

Quote:
Same reason why use of steroids is unethical in sports.
No, no, no, no,no. Different issues. Steroids are unethical because

1. They are a controled substance only available with a doctor's prescription
2. there are serious, life-threatening side effects, especially if not used under a doctor's supervision
3. The youth of America try to emulate their sports heros.

Put the three of them together, and you have a recipe for disaster. What is artificially inseminating a horse going to do? Insight children to masterbate? They don't need any help with that!