It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:26 pm 

Have you guys ever listened to national radio? I'm pretty sure that Mac is better than Two Live Stews or Tim Brando.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
How could Mac do a national radio show or anything that deals with a broad scope of sports topics? Lets face it Mac has admitted that he doesn't give a shit about college hoops and he never has a thought ,outside of a quick glance at a box score, about the NBA. His main concern is the Hawks and the Sox and the Bears. But even then he really never goes into too much depth about any of them....he actually just lets whoever is hosting with him do all the leg work. He wouldn't know what the fuck to do if he had to do a show with a broader scope.

I like the pop-culture references and the show itself is listenable most of the time and good sometimes. It's just very topical and quite shallow....it's a show for meatballs. Now, whether that's because Mac is bad, lazy and phoning it in or because that's the way the show is supposed to be is up for discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:35 pm 

Most national radio shows simply bring on a guest who is knowledgeable about the subject they are lacking in but it's not like there is a huge demand for NBA talk around the country.

He also could be paired with some guy who knows the NBA.

I highly doubt that some GM at a national radio network is going to think not being an NBA expert is a dealbreaker.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Most national radio shows simply bring on a guest who is knowledgeable about the subject they are lacking in but it's not like there is a huge demand for NBA talk around the country.

He also could be paired with some guy who knows the NBA.

I highly doubt that some GM at a national radio network is going to think not being an NBA expert is a dealbreaker.

I agree with your opinions about how terrible some national hosts are, but it's not just the NBA. It's basketball in general. Mac seems to have been exposed as a Jordan/bulls fan.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
SomeGuy wrote:
His main concern is the Hawks and the Sox and the Bears.

Like most hosts on Chicago sports radio, Mac is a Cubs fan. Oh, he claims to be a Sox fan, but he finds the Cubs "so much more interesting".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Jbi11s wrote:
Idk Spaulding. I refuse to be mean to you, but c'mon. Is there any reason you like Vandy so much?

If Vandy was a journalist, or a columnist, or even the Vanderbilt football announcer then there is no problem. What is the guy's sports background? I get frustrated when I feel like I could be more informative and thought provoking than some random friend of Mac's who gets undeserved premium air time on a morning drive show.

Why can't you disagree with me without feeling you are being mean? Don't prove RPB and Boiler Rick right. :P

I think OPV has a communications background, did some work announcing high school atheltics, and works for a radio station. Not huge but I it's start. Mac is friends with other people but I don't think he'd just put them on the radio. I think OPV is imformative and entertaining.

I've said this before....The main reason I like him is because of his chemistry with Mac. Jurko was friends with him and from what has been said Terry. I think it's the same type of thing. OPV can real him in or get Mac past something stupid. It's a comfy listen and it brings out the best in him. Goff can but I think Goff kisses his ass sometimes because he wants to continue to be asked back. Speigel can't do it at all. Mac will listen to and stay engaged when he is partnered with someone he considers a friend. Mac won't blow him off or dismiss what he says.

If you put Bob Vandington on with someone else he might not be as good, idk. I think he is a great listen with Mac.

The journalist/columnist has it's place, I guess in some cases, but I don't think I'd want to listen to Mac & Mully. Putting 2 together doesn't automatically make good radio or entertaining.

Sid, did you ever like Mac on any other show?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I can acknowledge that when Larry is placed with another host he is not terrible. It's no longer "Larrys Show" and he does not steer the show to suckville with lame topics and even lamer segments. AKA "The North Effect"

Some here will never say Mac's show is any good. No matter what they really think as long as they listen everyday.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 pm 

I think Larry alone is better even though he delves into his oddness a little more. When he is with somebody he tries to impress them or bring up stories that went no where like he did today with Mac. Hey do you remember when that anger guy came in...uh no. Hey I almost beat up a guy in an elevator type stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:49 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I think Larry alone is better even though he delves into his oddness a little more. When he is with somebody he tries to impress them or bring up stories that went no where like he did today with Mac. Hey do you remember when that anger guy came in...uh no. Hey I almost beat up a guy in an elevator type stuff.

+1. Or like today when he went dead red on a caller about Dunn. He doesn't do that by himself. He was trying to impress Mac.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Spaulding wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Yes, I used to listen to MJH, but the last 1 1/2 years of that show slid into complete laziness by Mac. He thought he was special and deserved what north got. Well, he's on the verge of getting what north got, nada.

He promised this show would be new, entertaining and fresh- it is 0 for 3. He's just lazy. He does NO prep for this show, knows very little about his sports subjects, it's just a supeficial BS effort. It seems he always throws people under the bus when times get tough. Especially when those people aren't there. He's a phony and not the type of person I would trust or wish to associate with.

He's done this same shallow show for years and it isn't getting better. It's just old, stale and uninteresting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:13 pm 

I'd agree the last year and a half or so was not good, but think it's because he was done. Tired of Disney/ESPN and Harry. It worked for a while but I imagine working with Harry would wear on you after a while. His bosses didn't seem communicative and I thought Craig was an ass personally.

I think he thought he would be good with Speigel, dolphin did and he has pretty good thoughts most of the time. Never thought Mac was phony...cordial or personable if you are just an associate and I think that is how he thinks of Matt. It's just not a good pairing. Ratings went up with his arrival and have stayed pretty even with the competition.

Who is he throwing under the bus?

I'd like the show to be better but I don't think he completely sucks ass or will from now until forever. You are drama queen. :queen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:27 am 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Score is doomed wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Yes, I used to listen to MJH, but the last 1 1/2 years of that show slid into complete laziness by Mac. He thought he was special and deserved what north got. Well, he's on the verge of getting what north got, nada.

He promised this show would be new, entertaining and fresh- it is 0 for 3. He's just lazy. He does NO prep for this show, knows very little about his sports subjects, it's just a supeficial BS effort. It seems he always throws people under the bus when times get tough. Especially when those people aren't there. He's a phony and not the type of person I would trust or wish to associate with.

He's done this same shallow show for years and it isn't getting better. It's just old, stale and uninteresting.

+1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:26 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Jbi11s wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Please someone help me. When was Mac's last smart radio decision?

Punching Tiny?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'd agree the last year and a half or so was not good, but think it's because he was done. Tired of Disney/ESPN and Harry. It worked for a while but I imagine working with Harry would wear on you after a while. His bosses didn't seem communicative and I thought Craig was an ass personally.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

agreed..i think mac would still be @ espn if that turd harry was never on the show.. harry is the worst voice in town and has zero talent. a "comedian" who is not funny and a homer to boot. i don't even think a three man radio team has ever worked anywhere anytime.