It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
If and when you both re-up new contracts come June, any plans to change the name of the show? Mac and Spiegs etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Northside_Dan wrote:
Mac and Spiegs etc.

John Kirk dislikes this.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:40 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
I love the seeing the clock-punchers giving the self-made businessman advice on how to successfully administer company affairs.
Bold text is false.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:49 pm 

Steve has told us multiple times on here that he was handed his business by his father, who had gotten it from his father. I'll go back to ignoring your posts. Sorry for giving you another chance. I knew it would come back to bite me.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:56 pm 
100000 CLUB

Correct, BRick. Its also on his "unimportant website." Far be it for panther to let the facts be though.
Quote:
Steven (name redacted) Wallpapering & Painting Co. was a business originated in 1931 by his great grand father, Charles. Steve apprenticed for his grand father and father for over ten years, learning both old and new world techniques that allow him to produce exceptional results in decorating.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:07 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Why not embrace the technology and social media?

Setup a Twitter account, Facebook, get their approval to post pictures of the work that you have done for your clients on your Facebook, Twitter and notify them that you have posted their work.

They no doubt will ReTweet or link your Pics to their Facebook accounts to show off to their friends (because what else is Facebook for if not to show off to your friends) the great new rooms that they have.

Now, you've facilitated the word of mouth that your business thrives on by connecting the dots between your clients, your work, and their friends. Or, is that also a waste of time?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Now, you've facilitated the word of mouth that your business thrives on by connecting the dots between your clients, your work, and their friends. Or, is that also a waste of time?
Didn't you see how he thrives on getting customers who don't talk to anyone else in regards to painting? People who use the internet are likely not on his list of good customers.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

Maywood doesn't even have the internet.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Maywood doesn't even have the internet.

This is true. As it turns out, the internet's invisible information rays cannot penetrate lead paint. It is a flaw that top scientists are working to rectify. Kinda.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:25 pm 

Dethklok wrote:
Maybe Steve can answer a question I need answered.
What type of paint should I be using on concrete? And how would I prep the concrete to be painted? A primer of some kind?

Thanks!

-Dethklok

What will the concrete be used for? Like a patio with a lot of traffic?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dethklok wrote:
Maybe Steve can answer a question I need answered.
What type of paint should I be using on concrete? And how would I prep the concrete to be painted? A primer of some kind?

Thanks!

-Dethklok

It depends on whether the surface to be painted is interior or exterior. I'll assume it's a garage floor or exterior patio. The key is prep. You MUST make sure grease/oil are removed from the cement Oil Dri or kitty litter can be used to remove these kinds of problem stains from the surface. then you should scrub the surface with TSP (Tri sodium Phosphate)and a good scrub brush . Then you need to allow the cement to fully dry (at LEAST 3 days) before you apply a sealer to the cement. Then a cement primer (Dry Lock) can be applied prior to the finish product. Epoxy products are outstanding, but only if all the steps taken before the epoxy is applied are taken. Most people experience peeling and other problems as a reult of painting over a surface that was never sealed or was not allowed to dry properly, prior to the paint being applied. Good luck with your project.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:58 pm 

Killer V wrote:
Mac wrote:
Steve's calls have a point.

Maybe, but it's always the most obvious of points.

"You know, if the Cubs are going to turn things around, they need their big guys to start coming through." Genius!

"The Sox are having some troubles right now, but if they could just start winning some of these series, things will turn around." Insightful!

And as I said elsewhere, summing up every one of Steve's calls, "Sometimes the sky is blue, but there are times when it is not."

This is what most of the hosts say if you really listen. How many callers have something that is ground breaking? If you don't like ES for his "racist joke" cool but to hate on him for his calls that most guys say is not that strong.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Can I not like his Fort Knox joke or that he calls into 3 different shows with the same thought?

My feelings for him aside...I do most of the decision making for hiring for home improvement stuff around the house. I always check the websites and probably would not hire him based on that.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
It depends on whether the surface to be painted is interior or exterior. I'll assume it's a garage floor or exterior patio. The key is prep. You MUST make sure grease/oil are removed from the cement Oil Dri or kitty litter can be used to remove these kinds of problem stains from the surface. then you should scrub the surface with TSP (Tri sodium Phosphate)and a good scrub brush . Then you need to allow the cement to fully dry (at LEAST 3 days) before you apply a sealer to the cement. Then a cement primer (Dry Lock) can be applied prior to the finish product. Epoxy products are outstanding, but only if all the steps taken before the epoxy is applied are taken. Most people experience peeling and other problems as a reult of painting over a surface that was never sealed or was not allowed to dry properly, prior to the paint being applied. Good luck with your project.

What type of sealer are you referring to, Steve? Doesn't epoxy only bond well with certain coatings? My understanding is the solvents within epoxy based paints will cause pealing if the applied "sealer or paint" that already exists can't withstand epoxy solvents?

Also, i heard the only reason to use tri-sodium phosphate was to neutralize acids that would be used to wash the surface prior. Is that true? If so,why didn't you recommend acid-washing first?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:22 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Steve has told us multiple times on here that he was handed his business by his father, who had gotten it from his father. I'll go back to ignoring your posts. Sorry for giving you another chance. I knew it would come back to bite me.

Um...No. What I said was that I grew up working for my Grandfather and my father and continued to do so until I graduated from College. I majored in Law Enforcement Administration and worked as a police officer for 2 1/2 years while working my off days ( we worked 10 hour shifts 4 days a week, giving me 3 days off each week) with my dad. When my Dad suffered a heart attack and needed my help, I resigned from the police force. Thats a far cry from being "handed" a business. But then the actual facts dont support your position as well, so changing them to better suit you makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:35 pm 

bosco wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

What type of sealer are you referring to, Steve? Doesn't epoxy only bond well with certain coatings? My understanding is the solvents within epoxy based paints will cause pealing if the applied "sealer or paint" that already exists can't withstand epoxy solvents?

Also, i heard the only reason to use tri-sodium phosphate was to neutralize acids that would be used to wash the surface prior. Is that true? If so,why didn't you recommend acid-washing first?

I'm referring to a concrete sealer-available at any paint store/home center. It seals moisture out so that the moisture coming up from the ground underneath will not rise up and cause problems (peeling) with the paint applied. Epoxy will adhere very well to surfaces that are clean, sealed and primed. but NOT to surfaces previously painted that are peeling, surfaces that have grease/oil on them...etc The TSP is to be used primarily in the spots where grease/oil was located and the kitty litter/oil Dri was used. Acid washing is not a bad suggestion....for the professional. but the average homeowner is NOT going to want to get involved in acid washing. The advice I gave involves all the steps needed to get a great result without acid washing.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:50 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
lamar hoyt's burrito wrote:
This is what most of the hosts say if you really listen. How many callers have something that is ground breaking? If you don't like ES for his "racist joke" cool but to hate on him for his calls that most guys say is not that strong.

How about when he calls in to every existing radio show to repeat the same mundane point (except B&B of course, as they don't have the proper respect for the brand)? How about the fact that he truly believes he has attained Chicago icon status, based on the fact that he calls in to every single radio show to bestow his insightful thoughts? Can I dislike him for that? Am I allowed?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:14 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Um...No. What I said was that I grew up working for my Grandfather and my father and continued to do so until I graduated from College. I majored in Law Enforcement Administration and worked as a police officer for 2 1/2 years while working my off days ( we worked 10 hour shifts 4 days a week, giving me 3 days off each week) with my dad. When my Dad suffered a heart attack and needed my help, I resigned from the police force. Thats a far cry from being "handed" a business. But then the actual facts dont support your position as well, so changing them to better suit you makes perfect sense.
My post was factual. There is no shame in being handed a business. It happens all the time. It still doesn't change the fact that you were simply given the business by your father.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:36 am 

Mac,

HOCKEY SOCKS ARE AWESOME :D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Why the hell would he tell you of all people that Q. Get a fucking life

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I have a concrete exterior patio but its already been painted by someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing. I think I am just going to tear the whole thing out and put in some nice pavers.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Time Magazine wrote:
Housepainting is a good way to learn the feel of a brush, the mixture of colors. It also gives one plenty of time to think.

Housepainter Adolf Hitler thought up Naziism.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:56 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Time Magazine wrote:
Housepainting is a good way to learn the feel of a brush, the mixture of colors. It also gives one plenty of time to think.

Housepainter Adolf Hitler thought up Naziism.
You would think with all that time to think that Steve's calls would be better.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Anyone complaining volunteered that info for public consumption most likely so I wouldnt take their complaints too seriously

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I have a concrete exterior patio but its already been painted by someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing. I think I am just going to tear the whole thing out and put in some nice pavers.

Just put pavers on top of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon

If you tear the patio up, don't be suprised to find a hardwood floor underneath. If HGTV has taught me anything, it's this. Long ago, all manmade surfaces, and some occurring in nature, were nice hardwood floors. Then one day, all of the nice hardwood floors were covered with other, less attractive surfaces, and forgotten about. No one knows why, but it is beleived that it was to preserve the lustruous hardwood floors for a special occasion, like a wedding or the Rapture.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Telegram Sam wrote:

If you tear the patio up, don't be suprised to find a hardwood floor underneath. If HGTV has taught me anything, it's this. Long ago, all manmade surfaces, and some occurring in nature, were nice hardwood floors. Then one day, all of the nice hardwood floors were covered with other, less attractive surfaces, and forgotten about. No one knows why, but it is beleived that it was to preserve the lustruous hardwood floors for a special occasion, like a wedding or the Rapture.

This is true. I was on the Stevenson Expressway this morning and some segments had been de-asphalted and damned if there wasn't a really nice hardwood floor underneath...

:D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Telegram Sam wrote:

Its not really a patio as much as it is my back yard. I live in an old part of town where the gigantic lots of 150 years ago were chopped up i to smaller lots. Its really just like a giant sidewalk/back yard. It looks like shit and I can't really put the pavers down over the top of it because it wouldn't match the grade of the yard and It also connects to the garage and would not match. It won't be that hard to do as I have of those giant chainsaw looking concrete saws and a hammer drill. Finding somewhere to go with the concrete though will be a task.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:23 pm 

Killer V wrote:
lamar hoyt's burrito wrote:

How about when he calls in to every existing radio show to repeat the same mundane point (except B&B of course, as they don't have the proper respect for the brand)? How about the fact that he truly believes he has attained Chicago icon status, based on the fact that he calls in to every single radio show to bestow his insightful thoughts? Can I dislike him for that? Am I allowed?

You can do what you like, my point is the "mob mentality" that goes on here really is weak! Some of us jump on because everybody else does! If ES calls in to a talk show that encourages callers what is the problem? If we have a better point pick up the phone & make it! It is easy to come to a message board and think your point through than have to rush your point in 15-30 seconds on the phone & with that being said the amount of stupid posts here are shocking.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Telegram Sam wrote:

Its not really a patio as much as it is my back yard. I live in an old part of town where the gigantic lots of 150 years ago were chopped up i to smaller lots. Its really just like a giant sidewalk/back yard. It looks like shit and I can't really put the pavers down over the top of it because it wouldn't match the grade of the yard and It also connects to the garage and would not match. It won't be that hard to do as I have of those giant chainsaw looking concrete saws and a hammer drill. Finding somewhere to go with the concrete though will be a task.

Dump it anywhere in Indiana.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next