It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teaching baseball
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
So I was finally able to start attending my 6 year old son's baseball practices and have determined that the coaches are woefully inadequate. They haven't even taught basic throwing and swinging skills. I'd like to step in and start giving a bit of direction, but I'm hardly an expert.

I've already had them doing wind sprints and have been obviously denying them water, so I'm good there, but does anyone have any good resources for age-appropriate baseball drills or techniques? The kids are 6-8 years old.

Post subject: Re: Teaching baseball
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:02 pm 

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:18 pm 

Here is a list:

1. Make sure they have fun
2. see if you can get them to learn the bases and where to run. get an idea where to go with the ball when it is hit to them.
3. Try to get them where they are not so afraid of the ball. A lot of kids never want to play or quit early because they are so fearful of getting hit.
4. Make sure that somebody brings drink and snack after every game, as long as this is done the kids go home happy.
5. Read #1 10 more times.

If you can accomplish any of this, congrats.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
http://www.baseballconfidence.com/Youth_Baseball.html

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Hawg Ass wrote:
Here is a list:

1. Make sure they have fun
2. see if you can get them to learn the bases and where to run. get an idea where to go with the ball when it is hit to them.
3. Try to get them where they are not so afraid of the ball. A lot of kids never want to play or quit early because they are so fearful of getting hit.4. Make sure that somebody brings drink and snack after every game, as long as this is done the kids go home happy.
5. Read #1 10 more times.

If you can accomplish any of this, congrats.

We taught my son to catch fingers up/no basket catch (without a glove) using a hackey sack and wiffle golf balls and practiced ground balls with tennis balls until he got the confidence.

Odd age range. 8 year olds should have these fundamentals and kind of know scenarios. Most drills we are doing like rabbit/turtle running the bases would not appeal to them.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Make sure to instill the importance of fundamentals. You can never be to young to learn how to drive in the runner on third with less than 2 outs.

Do some long toss. Its a good way to build up arm strength.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
LOL

Not even sure where to start with this but Snacks are important and as the coach of a 6 year olds tee ball team, technique is futile at this point. Not nearly enough time to practice (1 hour a week) and they forget it.

We just try to make sure the basics of the game are instilled, like getting ready to run to the next base, fielding the ball and knowing where to go, swinging the bat.

Keeping the kids in order and moving the game along is what the coaching is about at this time.

You really want your kid to be better, play catch with him and let him swing the bat. Then in 6 years, you can start teaching him something about baseball when he can start throwing and hitting for real after he has grown some.

FYI, Our team is loaded, never realized 6 year olds could be cocky!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:56 pm 

8!!!!! LOL, catching techniques

LONG TOSS!!! ARM STRENGTH!!!!

Stop yourselves!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Killer V wrote:
I've already had them doing wind sprints and have been obviously denying them water, so I'm good there, but does anyone have any good resources for age-appropriate baseball drills or techniques? The kids are 6-8 years old.

nope, I think you're already all good.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:45 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
The coaches were having them play out game situations and talking about where to go with the ball with runners on different bases. But the kids don't even know how to step and throw yet! There isn't any time at all spent working on fundamentals. I think the biggest problem I have is that when the coaches DO start to work on something, almost the whole team winds up standing in line (which doesn't last long) waiting for their turn.

I'd just like to get some drill ideas to try to keep everyone moving, so we might hang onto their attention a little longer and build a base, to learn the basics...

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:57 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
spanky wrote:

This actually is a really good video....I'm not sure how many of you played H.S. baseball in the 90s, but this shit took over in Lake and McHenry Counties.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:37 am 

So this is my second year coaching 5-7 year olds, here is my general thoughts on what works and what doesn't:

1. Definitely focus on the fun - baseball is not an exciting game so you have to make the fun in it. Have them run bases at the end of practice, do relay races etc. Stuff that adds fun and still teaches them important skills.

2. Scrap the game situation stuff until later in the year. if you are going to teach forceouts, do it after they learn that the primary out is always at first base. I instruct my team to throw to first on every play so they get used and know one thing. In a few weeks, I'll mix in some teaching of force outs, but it wont be stressed. I still want them throwing to first.

3. For throwing, I like to teach them to point the glove towards the player they are throwing to, get their arm in an L behind them, step towards the person and throw the ball (with the elbow high). They won't have much arm strength - the important thing is to have the direction right and the arm strength will come later.

4. For hitting, lot of schools of thought here. Teach them how to stand at the plate - I use the two foot method where the right handed batter will place his right foot at the back coner of the plate, place the left foot behind it in line and then move the right foot back shoulder width apart and choke up on the bat if necessary.

5. Fielding - You will want to teach the right ready position - glove out front and ready to catch the ball. Groundballs I teach them the alligator - watch the ball in and slam the other hand over the top of the ball and funnel to the stomach. Kids like it when you teach them in terms they understand.

6. At this age, it's about fundamentals that they will learn to use better as they get older and teaching them to have fun. if they don't like, they will never play again.

7. Last thought - if you have multiple coaches, it's better to do smaller drills with kids than having one large group. Take 4 kids and do ground balls. Have another 4 hit, rotate.....They will like the quicker pace and stay involved longer mentally.

8. Really final thought: You will have to deal with kids making sandcastles during a game. It's going to happen. Deal with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:25 am 

1. Don't listen to what Spaulding has to say.

2. Find out if any of the kids have hot mothers. Find out if that mother is divorced. If so, pretend to give special attention to the kid when the mother is looking. At the end of the year, invite the parents of the team over for a BBQ but forget to invite everyone else besides the mother.

Everything else will work itself out.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 am 

You are totally going to teach your kids how to catch by doing what I did.

Listen to dolphin, reading his getting back to youth story was invigorating and inspiring, not to mention his movie story from a month or so ago and all the sex he has been getting. He leads the life of a rock star.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:58 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Listen to dolphin, reading his getting back to youth story was invigorating and inspiring, not to mention his movie story from a month or so ago and all the sex he has been getting. He leads the life of a rock star.

I just assumed he was senile and randomly spitting out dreams from his youth.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 am 

No, no.I heard he is looking to purchase an Iroc and will only be wearing t shirts under his suits. He's got great ideas.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
just smack fungos at them from 20' away and they'll get the hang of it eventually...

"it doesn't hurt if you catch the ball!"

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:11 pm 

Tonights practice!

4:45 PM arrival, only kid there is Brit, with his mom and lil bro. She explains to me that Brit usually likes her to stay during practice, but he likes me playing catch with him, so if I can start playing catch with him, she can sneak away. So practice starts!

4:50 Cameron shows up! Sprints right to me, asks what he should do. I suggest going back to his moms car and getting his glove!

4:55 Kyle shows up, but he doesn't want to play, because his twin sister is sick and not there, so he will just watch.

5:00 Dru shows up, but he doesn't have a glove.

5:01 The All Star group arrives, they all wanna hit. We break into 2 groups and hit grounders.

5:05 Cole "I gotta go pee!" Gotta take him into the field house.

5:07 Back on the field. Josh hits a line drive into Dru's gut. Really just grazed him, which results in full out crying. I know he is fine, but take him to the bench, make sure he is OK.

5:10 Carson "I am hungry"

5:12 Jonas 'When are we gonna be done"

5:14 Ben (My Nephew) "Can we go to the bar after practice?"

5:15 Running drills- Cole "Where's first?"

5:20 Cam "I gotta go to the bathroom!" I yell who else needs to go to the bathroom? Justin and Oliver choose to join us. Ollie and Justin all done, I send them back out. Cam needs the WSJ!!!!! He is dropping a deuce!

5:30 Back on the field! Kyle and Zack in a wrestling match over a ball in RF.

Do you get the picture yet?????? If I can get a kid to run hard to 2nd base and not overrun 2nd like it is first, we have accomplished something!

So as far as teaching techniques? Bllllahhhhhh

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
bigfan wrote:
5:14 Ben (My Nephew) "Can we go to the bar after practice?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:16 pm 

We took 4 kids to The Northside tonight for Ribs and Coronas! We go to a bar after practice!

These 6 year olds have no clue how good they have it.

Took them to State on night, it was trivia night.

Went to Floyds last week.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
:lol: That's great. I have about 12-16 seasons of coaching soccer (coached both my Son's & Daughters teams), about 8-12 seasons of basketball (including HS) & a season of helping out a little in baseball. I couldn't get into the baseball "brotherhood".,which is my favorite sport and I probably would have been a pretty good coach. I Loved it & I think it is great that you put the time in.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
If you aren't teaching them the wheel play by now you will never make it to regionals.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:28 pm 

"Hoo Ha Go Tribe!"

That's our cheer. It's the best thing they do as a team!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:38 pm 

Yes and a friday night pizza party! Watching Bad News Bears! The real one! Rented out the AMC Theatres on Western.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
bigfan wrote:
Went to Floyds last week.

Nice joint. Pretzel bun. Yum. We used to eat there when we had gigs at Gallery.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:43 am 

bigfan wrote:
You really want your kid to be better, play catch with him and let him swing the bat. Then in 6 years, you can start teaching him something about baseball when he can start throwing and hitting for real after he has grown some.

If you wait until 12 to teach kids fundamentals they're going to be horrible ballplayers. If a kid can't understand the game by the age of 8-10, they really should find a different sport.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:47 am 

I'd say you can start getting into a little more sophisticated things like force plays by age 7. Age 8 you can start working on cut off men and things like that.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 am 

bigfan wrote:
Yes and a friday night pizza party! Watching Bad News Bears! The real one! Rented out the AMC Theatres on Western.

I'd be very wary of the nice guy from the neighborhood who has no kids but likes to coach the younger children and take them out to special events

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:25 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
bigfan wrote:

I'd be very wary of the nice guy from the neighborhood who has no kids but likes to coach the younger children and take them out to special events

I agree, going to my sisters house! I don't want those little shits (even if it is only 3 of them) in my place!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:
If you wait until 12 to teach kids fundamentals they're going to be horrible ballplayers.

Yeah, but they still might end up playing for the Cubs.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.