It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
I'm not going to fault the guy for using a sick day when he wasn't really sick. Just because he's in radio, I'm not going to hold him to a higher standard.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:48 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
Sure, it's funny to joke about, but it really doesn't matter one bit.

It absolutely matters to establishing a fanbase.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Northside_Dan wrote:
I'm not going to fault the guy for using a sick day when he wasn't really sick. Just because he's in radio, I'm not going to hold him to a higher standard.

I get both sides of the argument. He has chosen poor days to take off in my opinion. Finals, Playoffs... in my line of work, I can't take off during the Telephony version of playoffs (installations) and honestly, no bullshit, if I called in sick and they found out that I was playing hookey because I wanted a day off to play with my band I would expect consequences.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:54 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:
Sure, it's funny to joke about, but it really doesn't matter one bit.

It absolutely matters to establishing a fanbase.

It's not like this is his first radio job. It's not even his airtime gig at the Score. Between his two shows and all the time he puts into corresponding on Facebook/Twitter etc he has more than ample time to develop a fan base.

Yes, he obviously uses his days off, but I'm guessing he's not going above what's allowed by CBS/The Score.

Darkside wrote:
I get both sides of the argument. He has chosen poor days to take off in my opinion. Finals, Playoffs... in my line of work, I can't take off during the Telephony version of playoffs (installations) and honestly, no bullshit, if I called in sick and they found out that I was playing hookey because I wanted a day off to play with my band I would expect consequences.

Maybe he gave them the real reason and just used the being sick as his on air reason? No idea. Obviously, the key to faking sick is the holding up the lie part of it. If he said he was sick, but just went to play with his band instead and said it on air, he should feel some consequences.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:59 am 

Well, Dan the only two shows I ever listened to daily were Rome and MJH. I hated when they took one day off. Show just wasnt the same. A guy being out as much as Spiegel would just be a "find a different show thing" for me and I dont think Im the only one that feels that way.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:07 am 

I understand. I do. I very rarely take days off. Whenever Bernstein misses a day I feel like my day is thrown off.

If you were entertained by Spiegs, you would keep tuning in regardless if he's using all of his allotted time off. Just like you would have with MJH or Rome. Maybe people here on the board seem to be mostly anti-Spiegs, but the ratings the show keeps producing are pretty strong.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:10 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
I understand. I do. I very rarely take days off. Whenever Bernstein misses a day I feel like my day is thrown off.

If you were entertained by Spiegs, you would keep tuning in regardless if he's using all of his allotted time off. Just like you would have with MJH or Rome. Maybe people here on the board seem to be mostly anti-Spiegs, but the ratings the show keeps producing are pretty strong.

We didn't start off anti speegs. Well, maybe Scorehead did, but I wanted him to do well and tried to like him. It's his bullshit way of handling this site, and his snarky shots at us, when actually it would appear, again with half information and assumed facts, that we were indeed correct all along, even in the face of him OG'ing this section with his mommy coming to his defense, which in my opinion was largely indefenseable given the fact that he is no longer a little guy needing to be defended.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:23 am 

Darkside, I bet I could pull up a thread from his first week with people saying he sucked...that is if I cared enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Ironically, I sometimes like when Spiegs is off and when Mac is off occasionally. I like hearing a new guy for a day.You get some good stories, if they are interesting guys. Ted Greenstein, Tim Doyle, sitting in once in a while makes a really good show.

One day I will write my essay on media people and what I think makes them good, bad or just tick. Maybe I will call it "My Book", just like the book Terry is going to write, which I actually hope he really does.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Darkside, I bet I could pull up a thread from his first week with people saying he sucked...that is if I cared enough.

Right, I know, like I said some were against him from the beginning (like the aforementioned Scorehead).
But at the beginning, I'd wager that the vast majority of posters were a) excited that Mac was back big time and b) were ready to more or less give Matt a chance.

I think they've both blown it. Mac has more or less abandoned the board friends and DEDICATED fans (anyone catch Grid's thoughts this weekend on the state of sports radio?) and Meat never really managed to endear himself to the fans like say Jurko.

Some of this dislike for Matt is I gues format related. I'm not a bigfan of the singy parody 1970's appeals to men over 40 content myself. I still like the show mind you, I listen almost every day, but fuck man, I'm old myself and I'd like the show to modernize itself a little bit. The singy alongy thing Meat does almost comes off as... condescending? to me a little... I cringe each time I hear him singing along to his own lyrics. It's weird.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Northside_Dan wrote:

Taking days off from work for an illness that doesn't exist should not be considered acceptable in any line of work.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

Taking days off from work for an illness that doesn't exist should not be considered acceptable in any line of work.

I agree with this completely. I haven't taken an "I'm not sick day" since I was just a kid in my early 20's. When I'm paid to be at work, and peopel depend on me, I'm there.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:08 am 
1000 CLUB

Yeah that was some uncomfortable radio early in the show. To those who think it's acceptable he's out this often I'll say this. I've never heard a radio show where on air coworkers gave someone such obvious and regular crap about missing days. Its updated and discussed daily now by everyone, openly mocking him constantly and now even on Twitter. So much that they gave it a damn nickname, in the Iron Man Streak?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:11 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
It's The Danny Mac Show.

Nobody cares when Goff is missing from B&B or Richard & Sal aren't on Stern.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:16 am 
1000 CLUB

Hey Doc! It might be named the DMS but Meat is expected to be just as much a regular in that show as the other hosts. I still think coworkers' treatment to him is a perfect barometer for it and speaks volumes.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:17 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

Never said it was acceptable Steve. Simply stating that it's something that probably 99% of people have done at some point in their lives. I'm not going to throw stones for something that I've done

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:18 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

Never said it was acceptable Steve. Simply stating that it's something that probably 99% of people have done at some point in their lives. I'm not going to throw stones for something that I've done

Would you throw stones at someone for doing something at age 40 that you stopped doing as a teenager?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:22 am 

Darkside wrote:
Would you throw stones at someone for doing something at age 40 that you stopped doing as a teenager?

Depends what it is. I'm 27 and still commit my fair share of stupidity

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
hawkeye wrote:
Hey Doc! It might be named the DMS but Meat is expected to be just as much a regular in that show as the other hosts. I still think coworkers' treatment to him is a perfect barometer for it and speaks volumes.

That's our perception of the expectation but maybe it's not reality. After all, it's The Danny Mac Show not Mac & Spiegs.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

That's our perception of the expectation but maybe it's not reality. After all, it's The Danny Mac Show not Mac & Spiegs.

I've been saying for a long time that this is an extremely telling fact.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
I actually like MeatPants and, as I've said before, I think he simply wasn't the best pairing with Mac. I don't get the absolute homicidal hate and feelings towards him by some on this board. I admit that he does suck some of the time when he gets whiny and defensive with other hosts or internet people but most of the time he's good. This why I'm a bit perplexed by the calls for The Goff to be some sort of Sports Radio Inc. savior coming down from the mountain top to deliver salvation to us all through the magic of radio waves. I don't see it. Plus, if you have been paying attention, Goff is pretty defensive as well and is showing some thin skin as far as "internet flak" from the board and twitter to the point where he goes and spends time to defend himself and sly the evil people on the keyboards. As another poster has mentioned, once The Goff gets a full time host gig his flaws, annoying habits and unlikable traits will be there for all to see, we shall see where the budding Goff ALS is when he gets full control of the blowtorch...

Anyways, good thoughts on the thread so far. The info that has been put out on here, Meats constant days off, his host wars and the general vibe in transition is leading me (and probably the board at large) to think that he will gone from the station or at the very least sequestered to H&R and spot hosting duties.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:35 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
I actually like MeatPants and, as I've said before, I think he simply wasn't the best pairing with Mac. I don't get the absolute homicidal hate and feelings towards him by some on this board. I admit that he does suck some of the time when he gets whiny and defensive with other hosts or internet people but most of the time he's good. This why I'm a bit perplexed by the calls for The Goff to be some sort of Sports Radio Inc. savior coming down from the mountain top to deliver salvation to us all through the magic of radio waves. I don't see it. Plus, if you have been paying attention, Goff is pretty defensive as well and is showing some thin skin as far as "internet flak" from the board and twitter to the point where he goes and spends time to defend himself and sly the evil people on the keyboards. As another poster has mentioned, once The Goff gets a full time host gig his flaws, annoying habits and unlikable traits will be there for all to see, we shall see where the budding Goff ALS is when he gets full control of the blowtorch...

Anyways, good thoughts on the thread so far. The info that has been put out on here, Meats constant days off, his host wars and the general vibe in transition is leading me (and probably the board at large) to think that he will gone from the station or at the very least sequestered to H&R and spot hosting duties.

I never had a problem with him until he got pissy with us and used a proxy to fight his battles here, which, for someone who promised he would be here more, was outright cowardly in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:29 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

I agree with this completely. I haven't taken an "I'm not sick day" since I was just a kid in my early 20's. When I'm paid to be at work, and peopel depend on me, I'm there.

What if it is a defined vacation day, submitted well in advance and approved by management?

It's a vacation day. Some of us use a week at a time to go to the islands, other people use it a day at a time for whatever they consider R and R.