It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jersey protocol?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

I know Mac sent the man-law down that if your over 25 and wear a jersey of your favorite sports team you must have your own name on the back and "NOT" said player.

I purchased a sweet Minnesota North Stars throwback jersey from Chris Hubble at Triple threat (awsome work) and had my name on the back and numbered up beautifully on the front and back . A bunch of us went out last night to enjoy a show and Needless to say I caught shit all night for not only wearing a jersey with my name on the back but being 40 years old and wearing a jersey period.

Please tell me what protocol is on wearing jerseys these days ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:38 pm 

I say only at a sporting event. And DEFINITELY NOT with your own name on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ed, I run into a lot of people who have a problem when adults wear jerseys. I don't really understand why - I think if its a good looking uni, and especially with throwbacks (a North Star one would be cool as hell), they are some pretty nice shirts. What would they have me wear when I'm not doing anything much, a polo or button-down shirt? I don't get it.

Personally, I'm against putting my name on the back. I think that is more for little kids (younger than 8), and not something I would do. Do what you like, just know there are some not-so-flattering opinions of you that are being thought.

I don't know what the issue is, so long as you're not wearing uniform pants and cleats. Throwbacks are some of the nicest looking, relaxed items you can wear. If you can't wear these, should you not wear t-shirts? Why? I don't get it, and don't particularly care.

And don't worry about people's opinions from last night - you were at a Chili Peppers concert. Most of those people thought heroin was cool not so long ago, so are you really concerned with their opinions today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:46 pm 

Ed,
I say do what you want.
Fuck Mac's protocol.

I have game worn (by me to game 4 of the '04 WS) road Boston Red Sox jersey with the WS patch the number 04 & my name right next to a 21 SD Tomlinson jersey.

I would say that there are some laws like:
any # 34 Bears jersey shall only be allowed to display the letters PAYTON on the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
So is it cool if I continue to wear my stirrups?

Post subject: Re: Jersey protocol?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Slap Shot ED wrote:
I know Mac sent the man-law down that if your over 25 and wear a jersey of your favorite sports team you must have your own name on the back and "NOT" said player.

He's just being a pussy because 2 hot 18 year old chicks were asking about his jersey with the hopes of Slappy buying them beers .When he tuned them down they made fun of him and his jersey . 8)

You never tell the whole story you douchebag.. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:10 pm 

Quote:
Slap Shot ED wrote:

i've always felt this was a bit hypocritical of Mac to have this law since he doesn't believe in the whole "we" thing with a team. when the team you follow is winning, you don't say "we're winning". or you don't say "hey we beat you guys" talking about the team you follow beating their rivals. but it's okay to associate your name on your favorite team's jersey? what the...?

i could never put my name on the back of a jersey. i think it's bad enough i have to create myself as a player in any sports game i own..and make myself like the best player in the game. but at least that's just in the privacy of my own home..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

The day I take fashion tips from Dan McNeil will be the same day I take hygiene tips from Jurko and hairstyle tips from Harry Teinowitz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Grid, I looked past that, and gave the argument's fatal flaw a pass just to assuage Slappy's core question. That said, you are absolutely correct :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I believe the opposite of Mac. Kids can have their name on jerseys men should have the name of the player - especially if it was a great player.

They are acceptable for sporting events and casual wear.

Women seem to flock to you Ed. Will that picture be posted soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Bona Pizza in Lombard
Why in the name of all that is holy would you get your own name put on a pro jersey? It is simply retarded and tacky. Nothing wrong with adults wearing player jerseys. I'll be damned if Mac is gonna tell me I am not allowed to wear my Probert jersey* out. Everywhere I go I get compliments on it.

*You know who you are! Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:33 pm 

Ed,
Before everyone kills you with the blanket "Why your name?" one test.

Is the number on the back of the jersey associated with a specific player?

Like I said a # 34 Bears with the name SLAPPY is wrong, but a #13 Bears wouldn't get a second look from me no matter the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Mustang Rob wrote:
Ed,
Before everyone kills you with the blanket "Why your name?" one test.

Is the number on the back of the jersey associated with a specific player?

Like I said a # 34 Bears with the name SLAPPY is wrong, but a #13 Bears wouldn't get a second look from me no matter the name.

I love the throwback North Stars jersey Rob ..I was not about to put Wille Plett on the back of my #24 jersey or Shane Churla .My favorite number has been #24 and all of my jerseys have the 24 number on them with my last name Welsh . The acutal players jerseys I have are all signed and under glass. I only put my name on NHL and MLB jerseys and to be honest I don't wear them very often.That's why i was shocked when my friends busted my balls last night .

For the record the girls last night asked me to purchase beers for them and two reasons why I did not . I was buying beers for my clients who were with me and Allstates only allows a 2 beer purchase per person and there were 2 cops standing a foot away . They thought my jersey was cool and understood why I could not or would not buy them beers.

Stu failed to mention that he bought them beers and was htting on 18 year old girls offering to buy them beers. Petafile that he is ...... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Isn't Mac the same guy who says he doesn't tell people what to put on their hot dogs ? He will, however, tell someone what is appropriate regarding names on the back of a jersey.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:59 pm 

If I remember correctly Mr. Randy wore a Mettalica hockey jersey in public. Nothing more needs to be said.

Jerseys are fine casual attire. Do not put your name on the back. I don't even like numbers but I can see putting a number and player name as a homage.

Talking about fashion, do you think the cut off jeans shorts and rollerblades made an appearanc in Key West?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I thought Mac said don't put your name on the back of the jersey. I'm not sure if you have this right. Anyway, I would shy away from my own name on a jersey. Dat's for dem kids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:23 pm 

You got it wrong Ryan.

He was geeked about his White Sox # 56 with McNeil on the back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Well, that's awful. I'm a big fan of Slapshot Ed's but if I saw two older guys wearing jerseys with their own names on the back, I have to admit I'd probably snicker a little.

However, to each their own. Who gives a shit Ed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="Woodridge Ryan"]Well, that's awful. I'm a big fan of Slapshot Ed's but if I saw two older guys wearing jerseys with their own names on the back, I have to admit I'd probably snicker a little.

[/quote]

I have seen guys with their name on jerseys and laughed a bit but they were like 300lbs guys squeezed into a an x-large. NO , not Tiny Bubbles.

My wife Krsity was calling me out that I was 40 and jerseys were for kids that's why it came up.

I will wear the North Stars jerseys at the next remote and you guys can give me honest thoughts.

Off to take the kids to Texas Road house. . :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Slap Shot ED wrote:
I know Mac sent the man-law down ...

'Mac' and 'man-law' doesn't register with me. This was the guy that was overmarried when he was still single. The two terms should never be used in the same sentence again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
let me ask this....doesn't Mac have a Led Zepplin baseball or hockey jersey with his name on the back of it?

what the hell is that?

that's like me dressing up as a maggot (what knot calls their fans) in a slipknot costume and mask for halloween at the age of 31
...wait a minute. i did do that...

whatever. I just bought a wolves jersey and stocking cap and will wear them proudly at the next "event."
though my name and any number is absent from the back.

if Harry can wear a green Jeff Smoker jersey that highlights his man belly....

What if I got a #10 Bobby Douglass jersey? does the universe implode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

I wore a Kerry Wood jersey to school in eighth grade back in the day. That day, all I heard from the other kids was, "Martin's got wood!" I never wore that jersey ever again.

About six years later, the girlfriend proceeds to buy me a brand new Wood jersey for my birthday (and bought me a Prior jersey the following year).

Needless to say, I have two Cub jerseys in my closet that haven't been worn since last summer, because both of their respected arms are practically sowed to their bodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

All of us have issues and I certainly have my own. So I try not to be too judgmental about others and their issues. However, I'll have to beg your forgiveness here. I guess I can't help myself sometimes when I read discussions like this. So let me be blunt: Any adult who wears a sports jersey has serious self-esteem issues, if not deep psychological problems. That's my opinion and I won't force it on anyone. Just throwing it out there. So I guess I agree with Mac about people wearing others' names on their back...though if I were writing a manlaw, no adult would ever wear ANY jersey. I will now climb back into my own little imperfect world and be quiet. Just know that when you guys wear jerseys or have conversations like this, some of us are shaking our heads at the weirdness of it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Coast2Coast wrote:
All of us have issues and I certainly have my own. So I try not to be too judgmental about others and their issues. However, I'll have to beg your forgiveness here. I guess I can't help myself sometimes when I read discussions like this. So let me be blunt: Any adult who wears a sports jersey has serious self-esteem issues, if not deep psychological problems. That's my opinion and I won't force it on anyone. Just throwing it out there. So I guess I agree with Mac about people wearing others' names on their back...though if I were writing a manlaw, no adult would ever wear ANY jersey. I will now climb back into my own little imperfect world and be quiet. Just know that when you guys wear jerseys or have conversations like this, some of us are shaking our heads at the weirdness of it all.

I can understand that Coast. There is still a little kid in all of us and when I find myself playing Madden 2006 at the age of 40 I feel a little weird playing a kids game but I feel like a kid again . I vaule your opinion Coast and repectively disagree about it being a self-esteem thing . I have a photo with 2 Miller -lite girls to boost my ego when I need it . :P :oops: :roll: :lol:

A neighbor said it best tonight when he said 'It's clothing ' , nothing more , nothing less.

Have a great week guys, I'm off to Spring training tomorrow with my new Sox jersey with the #24 and Welsh on the back (Thanks Chris Hubble) .. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:55 am 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Well, that's awful. I'm a big fan of Slapshot Ed's but if I saw two older guys wearing jerseys with their own names on the back, I have to admit I'd probably snicker a little.

I agree w/ Ryan on all 5 points.

Once again....Mac's.. wrong!

I feel if you have a red Hawk #9 jersey, it shouldn't have any other letters but H-u-l-l on it. Maybe a B. if you got the extra cash! :wink:

I crack up when I see guys with their own names on their jerseys, especially famous number/team combos.
But it's your dough, do what the hell ever you want.

I'll soon be modeling a Monteal red #9 Maurice Richard jersey from Trp-Threat. Compliments of my win in Jurko vs Harry.
How about you Grid??!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:52 am 
1000 CLUB

I have a few Bears jerseys and a Blackhawks jersey as well. The Bears have player's names on the back, and the Hawks jersey has no name or number. More often than not, I they are something to throw on if I'm meeting friends at a bar, or going to watch a game at a friend's house. I rarely wear them to school or at other social settings, but who the hell cares if the next guy does?

A friend of mine who teaches 5 days a week, can only dress casual on weekends, and all during the Bears season, every Sat and Sun, he wore a Bears jersey. A little too much, yes... but who the hell cares if he does or not. If you hate wearing an fn jersey, then I'll play Mac's sound clip "WE'RE HAPPY FOR YOU!" and send you along your way.

Seriously, while I barely wear them, I hardly think this needs to turn in some psychology session debating that you are insecure or have other serious problems for wearing them.