It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:05 pm 

I strongly dislike this show - after giving it several shots in the first six months, it was just awful. Way more annoying than entertaining - due mostly to the hefty, insecure, and (up to now) unnamed co-host. But with his new paper, it now sounds like he has squeezed his way into the show's title.

For long time fans of McNeil, is this a GOOD thing? I get that a lot of people really enjoy him, but wonder what kind of impact his (universally?) hated co-host does to the listening habits of his ALS?

Good on meatpants for getting his name on the show, seriously. I can't stand the guy, and not sure why anyone would find him anything other than super annoying, but from all reports he's decent dude and it's quite a coupe to go from being "national" to going on a local show where you're uncredited to having your name in the show's name.

Dunno if this is a 2-3 year thing, but whatever it is I certainly know what station I will NOT be tuning into from 9-1 M-F! Thanks awful management team!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
What do you like?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:13 pm 

I don't listen any more which is sad because I started listening to sports radio because of MJH. Maybe things will change when football season starts but I get my local coverage from B&B currently.

Spiegel just probably isn't for me, and the parody songs really got old for me and since that's what Spiegel brings to the show I'm sure that shaped my opinion of him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Quote:
Maybe things will change when football season starts

I too am looking forward to thoughts like "the score was difficult to read from the other side of the field" and "It was cold."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:21 pm 

Mully and Hanley range from awful to mediocre.
McNeil and Spiegel are awful (because, mostly, they insist on beating annoying things into the ground).
Boers and Bernstein are mostly solid, but obviously have their flaws (and annoying hangups).
Larry Holmes is the worst. of. all. time.
Les is Les, and he's great for the third shift slot.
Goff has gone from fun part time contributor to wannabe, tough guy radio guy.
Finfer and McKnight and JoeO and Zaidman and Grote and the other "these guys are all the same" guys range from awful to barely average.
Abbatacola is solid, hosts a decent show and would benefit (I think) from having a more regular on-air schedule.
Rosenbloom is fun in small doses. Once a week on Saturday is just the right serving size.

Anyway, isn't it odd that McNeil decided to stick with a guy that SO many of his die hard fans really don't care for (too much, at least)? Seems odd to me, but I'm sure they have some great focus group data that shows many listeners DESIRE PARODY SONGS and random days off to play a cover gig.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:21 pm 

Honest question... why does everyone cite the Parody songs as a reason they don't listen? I think they are bad and I don't enjoy them, but isn't there like a max of 1 per week? That lasts for less than 2 minutes?

I haven't been listening so maybe they do a lot more now, but it just seems like such a small part of the show.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:22 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
Mully and Hanley range from awful to mediocre.
McNeil and Spiegel are awful (because, mostly, they insist on beating annoying things into the ground).
Boers and Bernstein are mostly solid, but obviously have their flaws (and annoying hangups).
Larry Holmes is the worst. of. all. time.
Les is Les, and he's great for the third shift slot.
Goff has gone from fun part time contributor to wannabe, tough guy radio guy.
Finfer and McKnight and JoeO and Zaidman and Grote and the other "these guys are all the same" guys range from awful to barely average.
Abbatacola is solid, hosts a decent show and would benefit (I think) from having a more regular on-air schedule.
Rosenbloom is fun in small doses. Once a week on Saturday is just the right serving size.

Anyway, isn't it odd that McNeil decided to stick with a guy that SO many of his die hard fans really don't care for (too much, at least)? Seems odd to me, but I'm sure they have some great focus group data that shows many listeners DESIRE PARODY SONGS and random days off to play a cover gig.

So the only host you think is good is MattAbbat? Interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:25 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
Honest question... why does everyone cite the Parody songs as a reason they don't listen? I think they are bad and I don't enjoy them, but isn't there like a max of 1 per week? That lasts for less than 2 minutes?
They get played a lot more than once per week or at least they used to. Also, they sometimes do live versions of it that aren't good either.
Bucky Chris wrote:
I haven't been listening so maybe they do a lot more now, but it just seems like such a small part of the show.
The rest of the show is not good enough to sit through something I find annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I enjoy McNeil & Spiegs. I think meatpants does a fine job. He is also a Cubs fan which seems to be in short supply at 'SCR.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Bucky Chris wrote:

Good question. I think you underestimate how much they play them.
Better question: If they get consistant feedback in high volume that the Parody songs are a major turnoff....... why continue doing them?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:28 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
I enjoy McNeil & Spiegs. I think meatpants does a fine job. He is also a Cubs fan which seems to be in short supply at 'SCR.

jimmy, I've actually REALLY been enjoying reading your work lately. This isn't meant as a shot at you but....
Do you really think he's a Cubs fan, because if so... cmon man.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:29 pm 

Spiegel is a Red Sox fan.

Darkside wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:

Better question: If they get consistant feedback in high volume that the Parody songs are a major turnoff....... why continue doing them?

Fair question, and I'm not trying to defend them... because again, I think they are bad too. I think it's possible they get encouraging emails/texts after the songs, but I bet more than likely the answer to your question is "because they want to and can."

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Darkside wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

jimmy, I've actually REALLY been enjoying reading your work lately. This isn't meant as a shot at you but....
Do you really think he's a Cubs fan, because if so... cmon man.

I think by saying Cubs fan he meant Sawx fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm 

Maybe I don't listen that often but I thought he was. If not my bad,but I still like what I've heard from Mat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:32 pm 

I only make it a point to listen to B&B. Despite Terry's phoning it in and Dan's condescending tone, it's a fun show. Abbatacola does a good job. Les is good (for what his show is). As the not-so-ironically-wearing-a-tee-with-his-Twitter-handle-on-it Goff might say, the rest of The Score = you can KEEP it.

I liked McNeil from his Heavy Fuel Crew days - but obviously not enough to sift through the trash that is ESPN to follow him there. So his return to WSCR was exciting for me, but the eventual naming of Spiegel as co-host crushed that excitement. I gave the show more than a fair shot, and it's just not my cup of tea - FAR from it, actually.

Glad to hear people DO like this show, as-is. What Spiegel brings to the table (in terms of entertainment/insight) is beyond me...but glad someone is consuming it with a smile on their face!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 pm 

Bucky Chris wrote:
...but I bet more than likely the answer to your question is "because they want to and can."

Very, very "Northian". VERY Northian.

Yeah, but it worked out good for him though. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:35 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Bucky Chris wrote:
...but I bet more than likely the answer to your question is "because they want to and can."

Very, very "Northian". VERY Northian.

Yeah, but it worked out good for him though. :shock:

PTFB. Just Sayin Vienna Beef.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Darkside wrote:

I think there is an overestimate as to how much they play them.
granted, they have a "parody" for every expert they have on: Florio, Hub, Cowley...Maybe Jim Miller gets his own this year.
but, "new" parody songs are not created weekly. there is no way they have 56ish parody songs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:39 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
granted, they have a "parody" for every expert they have on: Florio, Hub, Cowley...Maybe Jim Miller gets his own this year.
but, "new" parody songs are not created weekly. there is no way they have 56ish parody songs.

There's quite a few. Honestly there was a damn full set of them at the anniversary. There's been more added.
They were better when they were worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:40 pm 

Darkside wrote:

There's quite a few. Honestly there was a damn full set of them at the anniversary. There's been more added.
They were better when they were worse.

That's part of the problem. Spiegel seems to see the parody songs as a chance to demonstrate his fantastic singing ability. He's like one of those guys that takes karaoke way too seriously.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:42 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
That's part of the problem. Spiegel seems to see the parody songs as a chance to demonstrate his fantastic singing ability. He's like one of those guys that takes karaoke way too seriously.

Thank you, good thanks, you said it much better than I did. Ok. I think I once compared it to how they have to have a football scene when Manning does SNL and they have to have a dancing skit when say Travolta is on it. Or a gay steam bath skit but you get where I'm driving yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

and therin lies the CSFMB complaint.

MJH parody songs were bad...which made them good.
DMS parody songs are actually good (but they are played 5x a week)...which makes them bad!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:59 pm 

DMS parody songs are actually good (but they are played 5x a week)...which makes them bad!
They aren't good though. They just aren't fun bad like they were on MJH.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

right....
"good" as in sung correctly, in key, with backing vox....
vs.
"good" as in fun bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:06 pm 

Offtopic: Boilermaker Rick-Great avatar and Sig. I used to love that skit on SNL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Harry Seaward wrote:
it's quite a coupe

I'm not sure what a car has to do with your point, but carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:45 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Harry Seaward wrote:
it's quite a coupe

I'm not sure what a car has to do with your point, but carry on.

a Fiat 500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:34 pm 

Harry Seaward wrote:
I strongly dislike this show

Harry, you're a genius, we agree!
Harry Seaward wrote:
due mostly to the hefty, insecure, and (up to now) unnamed co-host.

Harry, you're an idiot. You're so wrong! It's the idiotic, immature genius from Indiana who fucks up the 9-1 time slot on the Score.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:43 am 

right....
"good" as in sung correctly, in key, with backing vox....
vs.
"good" as in fun bad.
Spiegel is obviously a skilled musician but the lyrics of the songs fail to be either good or bad. It seems to mostly be taking the lyrics of a song, and finding a sports related variation of the hook, and going with that. Copa Cabana, Tony Campana. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Hossa, Ho Ho Ho Ho Hossa.

Now, compare those terrible lyrics that aren't amusing compared to the story told in the MJH Nocioni song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s5-u7PEMYQ