It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:03 am 
1000 CLUB

I caught Mac being a hypocrite during critiques yesterday and I thought I would call him out on a few things . Dan called out the Score yesterday for not sending any of the hosts to Spring training and with the Score being the flagship for the Sox he felt it was a joke that the station did not send anyone to cover the Sox.

Well Dan, I seem to remember the Bulls being a staple on your station and 1000 being the flagship for your Chicago Bulls and it was like pulling teeth for you and your duo to even talk Bulls basketball.I even called once or twice to talk Bulls buckets and I was told call back later we might get to some bulls.

The bigger joke was when Dan called out Sox and Sun-times beat reporter Joe Cowley who was doing fill in reports for the Score via Spring training and Dan felt it was a conflcit of interest that Cowley a writer was being paid by the Sun-Times and the Score to report on the Sox. Dan 's reply was you are either a writer or a radio host and he should pick a lane . Ok , Dan let's see here .... You write for the NW Times of Indiana and host a radio program. AND I believe you cross promote your show by having YOUR articles on your ESPN web-site and you promote YOUR show in your colum in the times..

I'm all for picking a lane Dan but your left hand turn signal has been on for the last 5 miles.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:09 am 
1000 CLUB

He got you there Mackey .. Touch'em all Sock . Great post ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Get em Sock!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:39 am 

Quote:
even called once or twice to talk Bulls buckets and I was told call back later we might get to some bulls.

I try and call MJH and have also been told to call back later. And twice I have been told that what I had to say would later be related to the hosts and was hung up on. Just another symptom of the monologue radio in this town. Everyone is turning into a Dan Patrick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:14 am 

Isn't is possible that your calls just sucked? Maybe it had nothing to do with the fact that you wanted to talk Bulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:19 am 
1000 CLUB

You tell them Finji. LOL. I'd rather have you turn some away then be like Drinky where he puts any idiot that calls on the air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:21 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Finji wrote:
Isn't is possible that your calls just sucked? Maybe it had nothing to do with the fact that you wanted to talk Bulls.

Finji on the muscle..How would you know unless you put them on the air? I've tried to get in a few times and your screener or YOU just give an excuse and hang up.. I know you guys don't want the Boers and Bernstein callers Finji but some of the dumest callers are great radio.

Look , you have Harry sitting there being the homer that is he is , how much worse can the show get ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:24 am 

Wouldn't a "conflict of interest" be Bruce Levine? Is he not paid by the tribune company to report on the Cubs? Or does he kiss their ass by his own will?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Quote:
Isn't is possible that your calls just sucked?

No it's not. Don't you know that the CSFMB has more sports knowledge than anyone else...

as evidenced by Grid?

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:28 am 
1000 CLUB

It's a tough call I'm sure. You have to decide if people have a worthy thought in 5 seconds. But I'd rather have them error on the side of not putting them on the air.

That being said Mac is allowed to have stupid thoughts on the Bulls. But hey, he's the host. Nothing you can do about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:30 am 

Finji wrote:

Finji, just play some Generation Landslide from Alice Cooper today. More than half the calls probably suck. WE KNOW THAT! The true entertainment are the emails sent in by Doug from Evergreen Park, Woodridge Ryan/Linda S., and all the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:30 am 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="Killer V"]
Quote:
Isn't is possible that your calls just sucked?

No it's not. Don't you know that the CSFMB has more sports knowledge than anyone else...

as evidenced by Grid?

:wink:
[/quote]

I'm sure a guy like Grid has the number to the inside studio bat phone.. I'm sure evrytime it's blinking Harry picks it up with his hanky , ala Commish Gordon . :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:32 am 

Grid's a windbag blowhard. Just ask him. The only thing he has an inside line on is an Oh-fer in Bears trivia.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:35 am 

Quote:
Well Dan, I seem to remember the Bulls being a staple on your station and 1000 being the flagship for your Chicago Bulls and it was like pulling teeth for you and your duo to even talk Bulls basketball.I even called once or twice to talk Bulls buckets and I was told call back later we might get to some bulls.

Are you talking about last year?

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:46 am 

I like the Bulls but to be honest the whole NBA does not start until April. Every decent team makes the playoffs and at least 2 or 3 bad teams make it.

I watch most of the NBA playoffs and enjoy it but the regular season is pretty boring.

At least in football, the games seem to matter in the regular season. In baseball, they obviously do which was obvious last year with the White Sox.

I don't really want to hear talk about Bulls basketball before April and I catch a game or two every so often and been to 2 games this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:51 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Quote:

Finji, for a really good point by Wind Sock, I'm really disappointed in your over the top defensive fire back at zizoue for "maybe his calls suck" as the only response to this thread. If that's all you've got to say, why bother posting. I think some good points were made here and the fact that this show gets more praise than any show by all of us that you'd be able to handle some constructive criticism. You seem edgy lately. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I think the calls taken would depend on the show that day. If the show was going well a Bulls call may bring it to a halt because the 3 of them don't watch the Bulls much. It wouldn't generate much response and I could see why a that call would be turned away.

I would rather have listened to a basketball thought over Tom give us Webster's definition of ignorant about a month back though. That was bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Give him a break. It doesn't have to be a love fest here. Maybe he was joking. Maybe he was being sarcastic. Or maybe he meant it. Either way it's fine.

I think he was talking in general as to why they don't let some on the air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
i think one tiny collumn in a hoosier paper once a week is no big deal. besides, didnt he originally start writing to get some sort of college credit?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i think you're right frank. i seem to remember a method to the madness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Deep dish - Giordano's
Regular - Nancys
Quote:
Frank Coztansa"
i think one tiny collumn in a hoosier paper once a week is no big deal. besides, didnt he originally start writing to get some sort of college credit?

One could also argue being a beat reporter in the city's second paper is no big deal. Is Mac's gripe that he's the Sox beat reporter and giving info on the radio about the Sox that should be used in the next days paper. He's short changing the Sun Times. Would it be different if it was Marriotti?

College Credit - So he writes for free :shock:

Quote:
"Mac" I've heard from Hollywood insiders that Jodie Foster is Asexual

Quote:
"Jurko" A sexual what Mac? ,,,,,,,Dynamo??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
me thinks he used to write for free. then it was $25 a column and now it's a hundreddollar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:31 pm 

Quote:
The bigger joke was when Dan called out Sox and Sun-times beat reporter Joe Cowley who was doing fill in reports for the Score via Spring training and Dan felt it was a conflcit of interest that Cowley a writer was being paid by the Sun-Times and the Score to report on the Sox.

I believe the point Mac is making here is that Mr. Cowley is causing harm to his primary employer - the Sun-Times, by reporting on the Score content that should be exclusive for his column prior to the publication of the paper.

Why buy the paper if you heard the report a day earlier on the radio for free?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
It's a tough call I'm sure. You have to decide if people have a worthy thought in 5 seconds.

And the 25 year old kids making those decisions certainly have a lot of experience at it, don't they? And it also seems it's just one of many things they must be doing. The few times I've called, the person answering the phone sounded so rushed and in a hurry that taking your calls seems like the last thing they want to be doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:44 pm 

Isn't that the reason why Big Fan started this board, because some pimply face kid (like the kid from The Simpsons) told him that his topic wasn't deemed worthy enough to put on the air?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:51 pm 

spmack wrote:
Isn't that the reason why Big Fan started this board, because some pimply face kid (like the kid from The Simpsons) told him that his topic wasn't deemed worthy enough to put on the air?

Nope, he did it to get chicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:53 pm 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
Quote:

Finji, for a really good point by Wind Sock, I'm really disappointed in your over the top defensive fire back at zizoue for "maybe his calls suck" as the only response to this thread. If that's all you've got to say, why bother posting. I think some good points were made here and the fact that this show gets more praise than any show by all of us that you'd be able to handle some constructive criticism. You seem edgy lately. :evil:

Fair enough Ryan. I'll explain further. I don't believe Mac writing a column is a conflict of interest. In fact, I don't agree with Mac that Joe Cowley working for the Score is a conflict of interest either.

As far as the Score sending a reporter...that's a mistake on their part. Not because they're the Sox flagship, but because the Sox are a major sports team in a major sports city.

And I can't argue with criticism of our Bulls talk. It's not great. But that doesn't mean callers are automatically turned away when they want to talk Bulls. There are a lot of reasons we turn guys away...bad signal, bad thought, boring caller, etc.

That being said, once this little NCAA Tournmanent thing is over we're going to have to be better with the Bulls. That's not just on Mac. That's on all three hosts and both producers. Not to mention on the callers and emailers as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

I interpreted Mac's main point to be that Cowley was promoting and crediting the Score for some of the Sox reporting in his columns. Writing for a paper and reporting for a radio station may not be a conflict of interest. However, plugging the radio station in your columns most certainly is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:10 pm 

Quote:

Who Spaulding and Linda S? Spaulding is attached and Linda S is, well Linda S. That's a great field to choose from Kkkramer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Deep dish - Giordano's
Regular - Nancys
Quote:
"spmack"

Quote:

Who Spaulding and Linda S? Spaulding is attached and Linda S is, well Linda S. That's a great field to choose from Kkkramer.

Me thinks that bigfan has no problems there - I believe there is a pic of an ex girlfirend of his in the photo section. Very nice.

Quote:
"Mac" I've heard from Hollywood insiders that Jodie Foster is Asexual

Quote:
"Jurko" A sexual what Mac? ,,,,,,,Dynamo??