PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
OK fess up. Who already bought theirs?

Tribune wrote:
The great pretenders' greatest hits
Tributosaurus marks 10 years with subscription shows

By Christopher Borrelli, Tribune reporter
10:20 a.m. CDT, August 2, 2011

Matt Spiegel had a dream, a vision. He was singing a Moody Blues song, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra was pounding at his back and the bucolic sprawl of the Ravinia Festival was unfolding before him.

Or was it a premonition?

As lead singer of the beloved Chicago cover band Tributosaurus, which pays elaborate homage to a different artist each month, sparing no expense or hassle to re-create the sound of original studio recordings, Spiegel sang the Moody Blues last September — though with only a handful of strings, and the venue wasn't lush Ravinia but Tributosaurus' monthly showcase at the dark, wooden Martyrs' pub on Lincoln Avenue.

Nevertheless, last spring, to celebrate its 10th anniversary and improbable success, Tributosaurus took a different cue from the CSO and began to offer something more improbable: a subscription concert series.

It's called Tributosaurus X, and the premise is that for the next year, at Martyrs' (and for two shows at the Vic Theatre), Tributosaurus will re-create its most fondly remembered, uh, re-creations. The series begins Wednesday with Tributosaurus covering Bruce Springsteen, continues this fall with Queen and Pink Floyd, Prince and Stevie Wonder in the winter, and ends next year with Michael Jackson, Genesis and Steely Dan.

Now for the remarkable part: Tributosaurus has sold more than 200 subscriptions, at $225 a pop.

Perhaps that's not so remarkable, though, considering the self-proclaimed "Civil War re-enactors of rock" have evolved over a decade into, as bassist Jon Paul puts it, "more of a pleasant surprise than a bar band."

Surprise is a nice way of putting it. Tributosaurus has gone from one show at Martyrs' the first Wednesday of every month to several, to playing Park West and SPACE in Evanston, and to building a following that counts music lovers and professional musicians alike.

"We've always been careful not to do what a cover band does," said guitarist Curt Morrison. "That's why it's worked for so long. You will never see us change the key of a song, for instance, to suit the key of the singer. That's what an average cover band would do."

"If you think of the amount of time spent listening, transcribing, rehearsing and playing that goes into these shows, we aren't making much money on this," said drummer Dan Leali. "But nobody does it for the money. What other band but XTC could I be in and play XTC songs to a room full of people geeked to hear XTC?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:18 am 

pizza_Place: Al's in North Riverside. Help me find one on the NW side. I've found good, not great.
Why does this bother you so much??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:36 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Killer V wrote:

The Affordable Dave Miska wrote:

Are you trying out your new "Jump to Conclusions" mat. That seems to have been the pattern yesterday.

Which of the seven words I posted says to you that I am even slightly bothered by it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:42 am 

Quote:
"We've always been careful not to do what a cover band does," said guitarist Curt Morrison. "That's why it's worked for so long. You will never see us change the key of a song, for instance, to suit the key of the singer. That's what an average cover band would do."

"If you think of the amount of time spent listening, transcribing, rehearsing and playing that goes into these shows, we aren't making much money on this," said drummer Dan Leali. "But nobody does it for the money. What other band but XTC could I be in and play XTC songs to a room full of people geeked to hear XTC?"
:lol: These guys actually seem to think they match the ability of some of the greatest bands in history.

Luckily I'm not a musician but seeing someone brag how they are playing cover songs but aren't a cover band because they sing it just like they would and the average cover band wouldn't do that would offend me.

If these guys can really "become Michael Jackson" they should be playing the United Center.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:10 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
"Beloved"?

These guys are legends in their own minds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:10 am 

Killer V wrote:
Killer V wrote:

Are you trying out your new "Jump to Conclusions" mat. That seems to have been the pattern yesterday.

Which of the seven words I posted says to you that I am even slightly bothered by it?

I believe he was asking the board as a whole.

Ill speak for the board...

A good number of posters here think cover bands are a joke in general.
Another group thinks Spiegel doesnt realize the sweet gig he is in (on the radio) and doesnt take it seriously enough, devoting waaaay too much time to a cover band.

I know, I know... he works real hard, he does realize the oppurtunity, if you dont like it dont listen...etc, etc

Its a message board about sports radio. This kind of thing is going to get talked about by the nature of the site. Try to keep that in mind when judging topics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
"Beloved"?

I'm pretty sure they didn't write the article themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:27 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
A good number of posters here think cover bands are a joke in general.
They aren't a cover band though. Tributosaurus thinks cover bands suck too. They practice enough that they are literally as good as the band they are definitely not covering.

By the way, I'm changing my message board persona too. From now on, when I post, I'm not simply going to share similar thoughts to things I hear on the radio. I'm actually going to "become Dan Bernstein".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
"That's what an average cover band would do" :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.

I doubt anyone is "bothered" by it.
Bemused by the way they try to shit talk "average" cover bands though. I like to see a band that doesn't make their own music but still has the sack to talk crap about cover bands. That's... hilarious.
"We don't change keys to suit a singer, that's what an average cover band would do" comes off as a bit elitist in my opinion.
I've seen Tributo. They're ok. They covered the Stones the last time I saw them. They certainly did not "become" the Stones. They covered them.
Hey look Dave... Meaty makes his money criticizing the athletes in town, and he puts himself out there as a performer to be criticized. I think their mistake is simply elevating themselves artificially above the "cover band" and acting like they're something other than a "cover band".
Meat is a likeable enough guy. The band is pretty good. But let's call it what it is which is a cover band. Seriously.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:44 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
"Beloved"?

I'm pretty sure they didn't write the article themselves.

Youre right.

A guy named Christopher Borelli wrote it.

apparently he REALLY likes Triubtasauras.

Here's what he wrote 2 years ago

Suspicous how much he loves them. Spiegel high school buddy or something?

Tributosaurus: The future of rock 'n' roll?

October 02, 2009|By Christopher Borrelli, TRIBUNE REPORTER

I have seen the future of rock 'n' roll, and its name is Tributosaurus.

That's right, a band with a goofy name, whose members live throughout the area, who pick up their kids at school, look as if they should work out more often and mostly play songs by musicians either dead or close to it, is the future of rock 'n' roll.

Have you ever loved music so much you wanted to curl up inside a song, snug as a bug within the sound? I felt that while watching Tributosaurus. Guitarist Curt Morrison felt it too. The first time he felt it the band was playing "Born to Run," and there were multiple guitarists onstage, along with keyboardists, strings, horns and a glockenspiel (because the original song used a glockenspiel). "We nailed the wall of sound on that record so perfectly I kept thinking 'This sounds amazing,'" said Morrison. "It was like I was inside the album, like a cartoon world."

Ever felt that?

If not, you haven't seen Tributosaurus, which I went to see three times in August and September, and each time, at some point, the performance was so alive and joyful, so loving, that questions popped into my head:

Is this the greatest cover band in America?

Or just a bunch of anal-retentive lunatics?

If you've heard of Tributosaurus at all, you've heard some of the shtick: They play the first Wednesday of the month, usually at Martyrs'. They assume the identity of a new artist every month and play only songs from that artist. In September, they were Jimi Hendrix. In July, they were the Cars. Last October, the Clash; a month before that, Hall & Oates. They don't wear costumes or wigs or do accents -- they are not method actors. They are professional musicians who pride themselves on, once a month, playing the songs of their favorite artists with the precision of a finely tuned orchestra. In fact, they pride themselves on sounding exactly like the original recordings.

Not close. Exact.

And it got me to thinking: When or if, maybe 100 years from now, live rock standards are treated with the same connoisseurship as a symphony affords its classical repertoire, will Tributosaurus set a precedent?

The intensely serious, anthropology-minded, detail-oriented cover band as respected culture?

On a cool Monday night in August, at FitzGerald's in Berwyn, Tributosaurus has assembled, as the group does every month before a show, for a single rehearsal. This is how they've done it for years -- seven years to be exact. They'll be here until around midnight.

"These guys," a manager tells me, leaning over the bar, "one has a key to this place, and they can let themselves in and close up at night when they're finished. We know them pretty well. They're pretty popular."

Pretty obsessive too.

"And the thing is, their obsessiveness is part of the fun, but it's not as much about replicating sounds as they say," said singer Ingrid Graudins, who sang with Tributosaurus off and on for six years. " ... I have not seen a band go all out the way they do. Who else would hire a choir just to cover Queen?"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:47 am 

Maybe Matt Spiegel became Christopher Borelli?

LIke when he became your mom?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 am 

Christopher Borelli :: Matt Spiegel's singing
Peoria Matt :: Matt Spiegel's radioing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 am 

spanky wrote:
Maybe Matt Spiegel became Christopher Borelli?

LIke when he became your mom?

He wants to curl up snug as a bug with Tributasauras.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Wow...after seeing the 2nd article that guy has a serious hard on for meat and the cover band.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:53 am 

From Linkedin:

Christopher Borelli
Account Executive at CBS Radio

Industry
Entertainment
Christopher Borelli's Overview
Current •Account Executive at CBS Radio
•Account Executive at CBS Radio/ WFAN
Past •Promotions Manager/Planner at Zenith Media
•Manager - Contemporary Marketing Team at Budweiser
Education •Merrimack College
Recommendations 1 person has recommended Christopher
Connections 101 connections

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/christopher ... /6/391/9a4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I have been a fan of Cover Bands since I went to see a number of "Something for Joey" shows. Yes, I know it was a movie, but it was actually a band, made of a number of guys who were in other bands that came together and tried to raise money for their friend who had cancer.

These guys took songs like "Kung Fu fighting" or "Stop" Yes, some Captain and Tenille and changed the melody, wore the drunken beer hat and performed songs hlaf drunk, but it was funny as heel and still good enough for us non musical snobs.

I enjoy a sped up version of "Spiders and snakes" while doing a shot. This is something you will never see at a Tributo show.

I have never heard Spiegs define the distinction between the Cover Bands and the Tribute bands, but I can see it happening.

All said, I would like to see the wilder side of the band (it is exists), but how can you really argue with 200 people that just paid in advance to see your band that plays places that hold 500?

Let me even go out on the limb and say they have "Tributoheads"! lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:11 am 

I hope spiegal "becomes" Amy Winehouse very soon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Douchebag wrote:

really?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:14 am 

bigfan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

really?

Yes, I am 100% serious. I hope Meat dies.

The above Amy Winehouse joke was sarcasm, and is not implied to be serious. I would never wish death upon any board member, except Rick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:24 am 

bigfan wrote:
I have been a fan of Cover Bands since I went to see a number of "Something for Joey" shows. Yes, I know it was a movie, but it was actually a band, made of a number of guys who were in other bands that came together and tried to raise money for their friend who had cancer.

These guys took songs like "Kung Fu fighting" or "Stop" Yes, some Captain and Tenille and changed the melody, wore the drunken beer hat and performed songs hlaf drunk, but it was funny as heel and still good enough for us non musical snobs.

I enjoy a sped up version of "Spiders and snakes" while doing a shot. This is something you will never see at a Tributo show.

I have never heard Spiegs define the distinction between the Cover Bands and the Tribute bands, but I can see it happening.

All said, I would like to see the wilder side of the band (it is exists), but how can you really argue with 200 people that just paid in advance to see your band that plays places that hold 500?

Let me even go out on the limb and say they have "Tributoheads"! lol

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Gee whiz, fellas! Spiegel fronts a cover band that considers themselves more than a cover band, so what?! And they have a fan who likes to write over the top articles about said band, so what?!

The guy has an endorsement deal for some energy company, he's getting (got?) married, he has a beloved TRIBUTE band, he sings jingles on TV, he has worked his name into the radio show he co-hosts. Seems to me that most here are nothing less than jealous. And that's fine, just be honest about.

I cannot fathom how anyone enjoys what this fool says on the radio, or how anyone would pay anything more than a cover (pun intended) charge to hear him sing....but hey, he's doing it. For whatever reason this guy ended up in Chicago - left and the came back - and is succeeding. I don't get how or why, but he is. So hate all you want, but the guy is obviously living his dream right now - showing up to his paying gig as he sees fit, playing his dream gig as much as possible, and using the former to promote the latter-all while getting face time on TV and hammering paychecks from multiple places. Good for him. He's fooling somebody (quite a bit)!

Last edited by PaPaea on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
PaPaea wrote:
Gee whiz, fellas! Spiegel fronts a cover band that considers themselves more than a cover band, so what?!

This wouldn't be an issue if it didn't eat (no pun intended) into his full time job as a talking head (pun intended) on the radio. This is why he gets ripped for it.

Welcome to the board.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:10 am 

PaPaea wrote:
Gee whiz, fellas! Spiegel fronts a cover band that considers themselves more than a cover band, so what?! And they have a fan who likes to write over the top articles about said band, so what?!

The guy has an endorsement deal for some energy company, he's getting (got?) married, he has a beloved TRIBUTE band, he sings jingles on TV, he has worked his name into the radio show he co-hosts. Seems to me that most here are nothing less than jealous. And that's fine, just be honest about.

I cannot fathom how anyone enjoys what this fool says on the radio, or how anyone would pay anything more than a cover (pun intended) charge to hear him sing....but hey, he's doing it. For whatever reason this guy ended up in Chicago - left and the came back - and is succeeding. I don't get how or why, but he is. So hate all you want, but the guy is obviously living his dream right now - showing up to his paying gig as he sees fit, playing his dream gig as much as possible, and using the former to promote the latter-all while getting face time on TV and hammering paychecks from multiple places. Good for him. He's fooling somebody (quite a bit)!

Say hi to YourMom.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
PaPaea wrote:
Gee whiz, fellas! Spiegel fronts a cover band that considers themselves more than a cover band, so what?!

This wouldn't be an issue if it didn't eat (no pun intended) into his full time job as a talking head (pun intended) on the radio. This is why he gets ripped for it.

Welcome to the board.

I hear you on that, I do. I don't understand how he gets away with what he does, and to top it off when I do tune in all I do is hear him mocking the amount of time he takes off by talking about his iron man streak! Vaddacountry! Like I said, he obviously has somebody fooled, and good for him. I didn't think there would be any way he'd still be around, let alone get his name on the marquee, but he's done it. Unless McNeil has way more pull than I think, someone in some focus group must be hitting "really enjoy" when they get to the Spiegel section of their questionairre!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
PaPaea wrote:

Hi Matt, good to see you.
No one is jealous. I am coming around a bit on Meat on the radio actually. I like his weekend show when he does it. I'm becoming less of a fan of his partner and more of a fan of him as I listen more and more. He still does things on the radio that make me cringe, the fake laughs of Meat is one thing that drives me a little crazy for example.
I don't care about which job he cares about more. Not my concern.
As an aspiring musician I take a bit of offense to the way his band takes shots at cover bands and tries to claim to be something more than "just" a cover band, which, in my opinion they are simply not.
I've heard plenty of their music. I don't see anything that gives them an edge over other cover bands. I've been to see them live and enjoyed them, but once again I say they sure are not "becoming" the Beatles or the Stones. They're covering them.
I'm glad you've found something you're good at and you're successful at and I wish you the best of luck matt, but remember a little humility and it might help gain fans. THis is just my opinion.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:15 am 

PaPaea wrote:
I am not jealous. Sports radio host and cover band singer were never goals of mine. It's just funny to laugh at the fact that he has a band that puts down other cover bands and has the audacity to say that they don't cover Michael Jackson but actually become him.

I don't root against Spiegel but when you've got a band as arrogant as his then you deserve to be made fun of.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
so bascially 8 shows for $225 = $28.13 each.

not a bargain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
PaPaea wrote:
I hear you on that, I do. I don't understand how he gets away with what he does, and to top it off when I do tune in all I do is hear him mocking the amount of time he takes off by talking about his iron man streak! Vaddacountry! Like I said, he obviously has somebody fooled, and good for him. I didn't think there would be any way he'd still be around, let alone get his name on the marquee, but he's done it. Unless McNeil has way more pull than I think, someone in some focus group must be hitting "really enjoy" when they get to the Spiegel section of their questionairre!

I don't really see it as, "getting away with it". I see it as he (or his agent) has negotiated his contract a certain way to allow him these days off. He also does Hit and Run on Sunday Mornings, and he's been there a lot more this year than last (I can only think of a couple of instances this year when he wasn't, and one was for a voice issue he was having). In theory, a week like this where he will be off tomorrow because of the Tributo show tonight, he's still there as many hours as Mac his because of Hit and Run. At this point, the mocking Spieg's day off thing is just a meme, much like the Iron Man Streak (copyright ME) has become a show thing for them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:20 am 

Good points, and I'm surely not that hefty dude! I'm married to a dietitian, so I'd have a pretty tough home life if I maintained his current fighting weight/food intake schedule!

I don't care for either his radio work (the fake laughs are the worst, along with the constant need to jump in with a horrid pun just to beat and/or amuse McNeil) or his cover-tribute band stuff. His voice is annoying to me, and unfortunately his singing voice isn't too much different from his schmaltzy radio guy voice.

It just comes across as jealousy to me, is all. But I get your points. I'm sure any struggling musician, who happens to be a sports fan, would have a hard time not being jealous of what this fool is pulling off. You may not want to call it jealousy, but he's setup a pretty sweet gig for himself. Again, I don't buy into it and really don't have much of an idea of who enjoys consuming his remedial sports thoughts and cover band passion-but it is what it is. Much like the guy who often takes the mic at 6pm, I simply shake my head. As a consumer of sports talk, it certainly seems like there are better options!