It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tyler the Creator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Free Ajent wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Not really feeling this dude right now...

And that's fine. It's not for everyone.

What songs/album you listening to?

Listnened to Yonkers, Splatter, She and a couple other tracks that I can't remember the name of right now.

Props to him for creating a buzz and what now. Just not diggin' it right now. That may change down the road if some things are tweeked...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
OGWGTHEYTA or whatever is one of those outfits that people genuinely try to like more than they actually like. hence having to be in a certain "mood" to listen to them. from what i've heard nothing really bowls me over and grabs me and makes me go "oh hell yeah" but then again i'm sure that the proponents of the music would claim that the music is too cerebral and innovative to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Yonkers and Splatter are the a couple of my faves, but that's just me.

Listen to the Bastard album, it's my favorite. Seven is my favorite track off that album.

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: *
sinicalypse wrote:
OGWGTHEYTA or whatever is one of those outfits that people genuinely try to like more than they actually like. hence having to be in a certain "mood" to listen to them.

Isn't all music mood based though? When I'm in different moods I listen to different music, not sure what you're trying to say here hipster? :?

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:17 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
OGWGTHEYTA or whatever is one of those outfits that people genuinely try to like more than they actually like. hence having to be in a certain "mood" to listen to them. from what i've heard nothing really bowls me over and grabs me and makes me go "oh hell yeah" but then again i'm sure that the proponents of the music would claim that the music is too cerebral and innovative to do that.

That's kind of my feeling on the matter. I'm sure there are a bunch of people (Frajent for example) who truely like them. But it seems like there are a bunch of folks who just like them 'cause they're strange and becasue it's cool to like something different.

His voice is cool, I guess. He's got that going for him. Not diggin' his flow too much and I think he may not be as deep as he thinks he is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:19 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
OGWGTHEYTA or whatever is one of those outfits that people genuinely try to like more than they actually like. hence having to be in a certain "mood" to listen to them.

For me there's a lot of music that is bettter when Im in a certain mood.

My favorites have songs that fit all moods.

But Tyler is good when you feel destructive or pissed off.

He has shown very little range though.

People just want hip hop to be edgy again and theyre turning to a guy who raps about rape a lot.

I do think his beats are good though

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:30 pm 

the tyler kid definitely has a sharp mind for marketing. when i first heard of them it was like "yo have you heard of these crazy kids who do the fucked up live shows?" and sure enough, they're known to scale speakers/scaffolding, start random fights with the crowd, jump 15 feet down into the crowd then spray water... they'll do insult comic schtick, scream at everyone in the place... sometimes they'll go to the merch table grab shit and throw it out into the middle of the crowd, etc...

oh and tyler LOVES to say nigga. i implore you to find an interview with him and check your niggometer... it's going to redline. he forces it into conversation, along with overtly trying to be as cultured as he can... but then you go on his twitter and he's 666 worship satan i wanna sell out and strangely personable. he's cultivated an image that's going to make him a cult hero to kids who wanna do something different, but still want to buy their music at FYE and best buy.

their prevailing mantra is that they don't give a fuck, and ironically enough they go to great lengths to show you just how much they don't give a fuck. sometimes they'll play for 15 minutes and leave, sometimes they'll play for an hour. they made a big impression at this year's SXSW (aka the industry's darling of a music festival, like lollapalooza was in the early 90s) and i think there was some sort of a riot or out-n-out bum-rush of people trying to get into their shows.

it was timed well, cuz right around that time is when yonkers showed up on MTV's AMTV rotation so they became a "thing" with a bunch of young kids who want to identify with some sort of "outsider" or "underground" hiphop for the sake of being different compared to "mainstream" rap, which right now seems to be in love with rappingsinging on top of overproduced 90s-b96-techno-redeux beats.

methinks a lot of the older chaps ***COUGHCOUGHNOBODYONTHISBOARDFORSURECOUGHCOUGH**** who try and like it want to do so in order to feel hip and young and relevant because these guys, along with the record industry/media, have done a good job of establishing themselves as "counter culture" --- go look up any live review of their show and you'll see every blogger/writer falling over themselves to call them "punk rock" --- these guys haven't been underground for awhile now (there was a time when they were just kids flooding youtube with videos... but it didn't last long) and they're total media darlings.. they're like the "hot topic" of hiphop.... you're still in the same damn mall with all of the other stuff, but you're that one "cool" store where the young and hip kids go to get their counterculture stuff.... and the occasional geezer shows up to buy an old vintage nintendo shirt while denying their hipsterability.

long story short, nobody outside of their hardcore fanbase is gonna care about these guys in a year or two tops... mark my words.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
their prevailing mantra is that they don't give a fuck, and ironically enough they go to great lengths to show you just how much they don't give a fuck. sometimes they'll play for 15 minutes and leave, sometimes they'll play for an hour. they made a big impression at this year's SXSW (aka the industry's darling of a music festival, like lollapalooza was in the early 90s) and i think there was some sort of a riot or out-n-out bum-rush of people trying to get into their shows.

it was timed well, cuz right around that time is when yonkers showed up on MTV's AMTV rotation so they became a "thing" with a bunch of young kids who want to identify with some sort of "outsider" or "underground" hiphop for the sake of being different compared to "mainstream" rap, which right now seems to be in love with rappingsinging on top of overproduced 90s-b96-techno-redeux beats.

methinks a lot of the older chaps ***COUGHCOUGHNOBODYONTHISBOARDFORSURECOUGHCOUGH**** who try and like it want to do so in order to feel hip and young and relevant because these guys, along with the record industry/media, have done a good job of establishing themselves as "counter culture" --- go look up any live review of their show and you'll see every blogger/writer falling over themselves to call them "punk rock" --- these guys haven't been underground for awhile now (there was a time when they were just kids flooding youtube with videos... but it didn't last long) and they're total media darlings.. they're like the "hot topic" of hiphop.... you're still in the same damn mall with all of the other stuff, but you're that one "cool" store where the young and hip kids go to get their counterculture stuff.... and the occasional geezer shows up to buy an old vintage nintendo shirt while denying their hipsterability.

long story short, nobody outside of their hardcore fanbase is gonna care about these guys in a year or two tops... mark my words.

Yeah, thats what I said...
rogers park bryan wrote:
People just want hip hop to be edgy again and theyre turning to a guy who raps about rape a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:39 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:

Yeah, thats what I said...
rogers park bryan wrote:

yep. that's why i'm a writer and you're a fan! =D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:40 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
long story short

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:43 pm 

:lol: Wow, youre a writer now?

Ive never seen a Rennaissance Hipster before....pretty cool.

Youre not a writer until youre published. Youre a blogger like City of
Fools and Whoopi Goldberg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Tyler is definitely good, but how is he NOT horrorcore or derivitive of horrorcore?

what the hell is horrorcore, you label-obsessed hipster? =D

it sounds like one -core too many if you ask me.

Tyler specifically states that he's not horrorcore and to look deeper into the music at the beggining of one of the tracks.

I looked...nothing there but Horror-core.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Necro has been rapping about weird violent shit for years.