It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:44 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Honest question here, and it stems entirely from a blog post I read this morning regarding Cam Newton and who the author suggested were 'racist critics'.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/12/29/2668443/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-racism-2011

While I don't agree with many of the author's implications and accusations, he does bring up an interesting point: is Tim Tebow receiving the brunt of the attention this NFL season because he is white?

Newton has arguably had the best rookie season of any player in the history of the NFL. He passed Peyton Manning on the all-time yardage list for a rookie, and is tied with Barry Sanders for most rushing TD's by a rookie.

Yet America - and ESPN - seem to focus more on Tebow. Why is that?

Is it simply because the Broncos were in position to possibly capture a playoff spot, is it because of Tebow's religious stuff, or is there something else there?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:46 am 

Tebow is a polarizing figure. Cam Newton could be white, like Andy Dalton is, and not get press.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
rogers park bryan wrote:
Tebow is a polarizing figure. Cam Newton could be white, like Andy Dalton is, and not get press.

Yup.

Tebow had the same following in college. It's just multiplied now that he's in the NFL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:50 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
While I don't agree with many of the author's implications and accusations, he does bring up an interesting point: is Tim Tebow receiving the brunt of the attention this NFL season because he is white?
No, it's because he uses religion to cultivate a very vocal and devoted fan base and has since high school. Now, there are so many people who think he can't throw and are tired of hearing how they are just "haters" by pointing out that he can't throw that people want him to be bad to shut others up.

It's not just Cam Newton. Eli Manning is having a far superior year to Tebow and he's not getting the same amount of exposure.

This seems to be one of those "I need a column to get page views so let's ignore the actual reason that's pretty obvious" things.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:50 am 
1000 CLUB

Northside_Dan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yup.

Tebow had the same following in college. It's just multiplied now that he's in the NFL.

I tend to agree. Although, and as the blog mentions, I can't help but remember how critics of Newton constantly brought up that he wouldn't be "bright enough" to succeed in an NFL offense. Of course, Newton didn't help himself by blaming the crticism on fellow black QB's Vince Young and JaMarcus Russell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:53 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
I can't help but remember how critics of Newton constantly brought up that he wouldn't be "bright enough" to succeed in an NFL offense.
They said the same thing about Tebow so I don't see the relevance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:04 pm 

I didn't read the whole thing, but that article is pretty lame. Of course Cam had doubters. Every QB does unless you were Peyton Manning or now Luck(and even that is changing). Aaron Rodgers had so many doubters he dropped to the end of the first round. Drew Brees was a second round pick. Brady was drafted late. People thought Vick couldn't stay healthy enough in the NFL.

Virtually every QB who is good now could say "Take that doubters. You were wrong". Cam is no different assuming this year isn't a fluke.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Tebow is also on a team that has a chance at the Playoffs.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This seems to be one of those "I need a column to get page views so let's ignore the actual reason that's pretty obvious" things.

Agreed.

There are posters who do this too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I didn't read the whole thing, but that article is pretty lame. Of course Cam had doubters. Every QB does unless you were Peyton Manning or now Luck(and even that is changing). Aaron Rodgers had so many doubters he dropped to the end of the first round. Drew Brees was a second round pick. Brady was drafted late. People thought Vick couldn't stay healthy enough in the NFL.

Virtually every QB who is good now could say "Take that doubters. You were wrong". Cam is no different assuming this year isn't a fluke.

Agreed.

Although, I would like Kid's, spmack's, or Ivan's take on this article.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I think it's clearly a combination of what Rick and Frank said. It's based on religion but has grown at an almost exponential level due to his (possibly) fluky string of miraculous comebacks. If the Broncos were 5-10 and he only had one or two great last minute comebacks I think we'd see half the hype that we have, if that.

To rock my soul