It is currently Wed Oct 09, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Is being a Cub fan special?
Yes, the Cubs have things no other team has. I'm glad I'm a Cub fan. 30%  30%  [ 8 ]
No, it's the same as being a fan of any other team. The Cubs just happen to be the team I pull for. 70%  70%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Grateful Dead.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 am 

Darkside wrote:
Grateful Dead.

It was them or Phish. Ive had more interaction with Phish fans.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen

Bruce for sure

Pearl Jam ya think?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 am 
100000 CLUB

For sure. PJ fans travel just as well as Steelers fans when they tour. Every show I go to I run into people that have gone to anywhere from 3-10 (a few even more) shows in a row.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Grateful Dead.

I'm so sorry.

Man, I don't get being A Pearl Jam Fan. I mean, obviously they had a lot of really good songs, but I feel like they're positioned as this larger-than-life generational institution when they were really just a very good band. I cannot conceive of amassing like fifty bootlegs of "Better Man."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:32 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen

Bruce for sure

Pearl Jam ya think?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Curious Hair wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Grateful Dead.

I'm so sorry.

Man, I don't get being A Pearl Jam Fan. I mean, obviously they had a lot of really good songs, but I feel like they're positioned as this larger-than-life generational institution when they were really just a very good band. I cannot conceive of amassing like fifty bootlegs of "Better Man."

And away we go...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Thats how I feel. I mean I AM a fan. But I cant see being a fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:35 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

And away we go...

Well, I mean, I know part of it is sort of a transference issue with never being able to bestow that kind of lasting significance upon that one other '90s grunge band, but it all just rings so hollow to me. I feel like they're being placed on the same level as the Stones with how they keep selling out concerts and never going away long after their relevance has gone, but I mean, at least I get the Stones.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am 

Lady Gaga
Justin Bieber
Adele

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am 
100000 CLUB

The question was about dedicated fans, not about how much you like the band or not. PJ fans are about as dedicated as they come, some to a psychotic degree. You can love or hate the band, but the fanatics they have cannot be argued.

I haven't seen or heard of a fan base that travels as much to see a band other than the Dead and Phish. Back when I posted there in like '30-04, there were literally several hundred posters on their fan club message board that had been to well over 100 PJ shows.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:37 am 

spanky wrote:
Lady Gaga
Justin Bieber
Adele

but no Sosa?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:38 am 

Pearl Jam fans are extremely dedicated in the sense that Frank is talking about.
DMB fans are probably even more so.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The question was about dedicated fans, not about how much you like the band or not. PJ fans are about as dedicated as they come, some to a psychotic degree. You can love or hate the band, but the fanatics they have cannot be argued.

I know, I just saw the opportunity to pursue a tangent on how unwavering, life-compromising devotion to the "don't call me dott-urrrrrrr" band is puzzling and somehow rings hollow.

spanky wrote:
Lady Gaga

rpb's daughter wrote:
I like her music but I dont like her. Why is she wearing food on her?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:39 am 

Wu fans are pretty dedicated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
spanky wrote:
Pearl Jam fans are extremely dedicated in the sense that Frank is talking about.
DMB fans are probably even more so.

The DMB part is very true. I go to their Alpine Shows every summer just to camp, drink, throw bags etc. A lot of the people I meet take weeks off of work to travel around with the band. Really crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 am 

I feel like most everyone has a Dave Matthews Moment, an epiphany in the middle of "Satellite" or "Ants Marching" where you suddenly realize "hey, wait a minute, this band isn't very good at all," and it is indeed in many ways the proverbial first day of the rest of your life. I think mine was around February 2001.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:43 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I feel like most everyone has a Dave Matthews Moment, an epiphany in the middle of "Satellite" or "Ants Marching" where you suddenly realize "hey, wait a minute, this band isn't very good at all," and it is indeed in many ways the proverbial first day of the rest of your life. I think mine was around February 2001.

Sadly, there are many who never get to experience that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:44 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

They are on a list of bands for me that sound decidedly better during the summer with a jack and diet in my hand. O.A.R, Guster, Pat McGee just to name a few others.

They put on a really good show, but it's nothing musically groundbreaking. Although the drummer, Carter, is a beast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:45 am 
100000 CLUB

Frat Boy DMB fans might be on the Cubs list.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

I had this moment the first time I heard O.A.R. and Guster too.

:lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:47 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

They are on a list of bands for me that sound decidedly better during the summer with a jack and diet in my hand. O.A.R, Guster, Pat McGee just to name a few others.

They put on a really good show, but it's nothing musically groundbreaking. Although the drummer, Carter, is a beast.

Haha, I was just about to add that the first step toward my personal DMM was a kid whose lunch table I sat at that year, who must've been coming down off something because he talked about seeing Dave and eventually just kept repeating "Carter Beauford, man" over and over and fucking over.

I like Guster a lot! I don't keep up with them anymore, but Guster's first two albums were terrific. As I've said in another thread, O.A.R. is the Bud Light of music.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
No, you failed to comprehend what I was saying.

In 1999 if you went to a Cub game, you couldnt escape Harry references.

That has been lessened significantly. Eventually, they wont talk about him at all. Will he still be the defining figure?

I think as the perona fades around the park he becomes less of a defining figure.
So, how is disco demolition night, which is almost never discussed, and the Black Sox scandal still on the list for the White Sox? Are you telling me that these two things are referenced more than Harry Caray?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:49 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Haha, I was just about to add that the first step toward my personal DMM was a kid whose lunch table I sat at that year, who must've been coming down off something because he talked about seeing Dave and eventually just kept repeating "Carter Beauford, man" over and over and fucking over.

I like Guster a lot! As I've said in another thread, O.A.R. is the Bud Light of music. I don't keep up with them anymore, but Guster's first two albums were terrific.

:lol:

Parachute and Goldfly right? Amazing albums I still listen to quite often.

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
No, you failed to comprehend what I was saying.

In 1999 if you went to a Cub game, you couldnt escape Harry references.

That has been lessened significantly. Eventually, they wont talk about him at all. Will he still be the defining figure?

I think as the perona fades around the park he becomes less of a defining figure.
So, how is disco demolition night, which is almost never discussed, and the Black Sox scandal still on the list for the White Sox? Are you telling me that these two things are referenced more than Harry Caray?

Referenced? No.
But are those events more of what defines the team than Harry Caray is? Not DDN but absolutely the Black Sox. no question.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

rogers park bryan wrote:
How is Frank Thomas on the Sox list and Sosa not on the Cubs?
It's because the Cubs list is significantly better than the White Sox list.

It's kind of like how Nolan Ryan punching Ventura is on the list for the Rangers. That's a bad list.

You guys have me convinced. There is nothing special or unique about the Cubs more than most other teams. I'm sorry for thinking that the Cubs were special in this regard.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
Parachute and Goldfly right? Amazing albums I still listen to quite often.
Goldfly and Lost and Gone Forever. Keep It Together is good but trends downward.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:53 am 

Darkside wrote:
But are those events more of what defines the team than Harry Caray is? Not DDN but absolutely the Black Sox. no question.
Tell that to rpb. He seems to think that if Harry Caray isn't mentioned as often at Wrigley(I must have imagined the drawings and that they still do the tradition that he made famous) that he no longer defines them but Sammy Sosa(who is mentioned significantly less than Caray) somehow does.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next