It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winter Ratings
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mac- I am surprised at what seems to be your ascertion that the ratings were unaffected by your absence as well as time off for Spiegal. Is that truely your position on this? Were the ratings unaffected and consistent with the previous ratings period?? I'm just being honest when I say that during your absence, I switched back to ESPN and listened to W & S almost exclusively. I did give LoHo and Goff a couple opportunities to win me over, but it didn't work out. I find it hard to believe that there were not a fair number of other listeners that switched over as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
good dolphin wrote:
We have a collective almost 40 years of morning sports talk in this city. Mully and Hanley are the best show in that rather lengthy time span.

Those who say they suck, consider my theory that sports radio simply does not lend itself well to the morning shift. I cannot completely pinpoint the reason. The pace, with traffic, updates and commercials does not really allow substantive discussion. The topics are wide, deep and fresh from the night before which leads to a scattered/undisciplined show. It is difficult to get guests with specialized knowledge to appear because they were usually working late the night before. I don't know what it is, but it is difficult to deny in the face of 40 years of sample size.

As for me, I see Mulligan and Hanley like Murph. These shows always had ratings. These shows are both generally disliked by the B and B crowd. Both were much more sports driven than personality driven. Both also have a kind of corniness to them. I don't like Hanley and never have. I'd like to tweak the show. I like Mully's football knowledge and analysis of information. The show could use someone with a baseball backround to team with him. Still, I enjoy the show. It gets me the information I need in my commute without assaulting my ears.

Every single show on the station lacks a little something and I keep getting back to the point that Hood would fit everywhere. Mitch, end the banishment and bring back the man with the best basketball and baseball thoughts in Chicago sports talk

Well said. Totally agree. Morning sports talk gets way too choppy. It is hard to get people on air at that time that are not half sleepy or half hung over. Most listeners would rather still be in bed or at least not going to work. I enjoy them more than most because at 5 AM my work day/night is over so it is actually time to unwind and relax with a drink or two and watch whatever sports I have on DVR that I recorded from the previous afternoon or evening.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mac wrote:
For all of you who say they suck.... the ratings say otherwise.

Jersey Shore gets good ratings

Jersey Shore gets good ratings in the MORONS from 16-21 group!

It still amazes me how SOME(guys) can't see how it is just a good show. Not a great show, just solid info, nothing devised to even try and been slick.

The biggest thing M&H show us is just amazingly bad North became in the last 5 years. He drove away people who just wanted to talk sports.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:15 pm 

I think we were 2nd in the fall book. So... 3rd in this one... I'll take it. Sawbucks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
get that 6 1/2 Mac...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
bigfan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mac wrote:

Jersey Shore gets good ratings in the MORONS from 16-21 group!

It still amazes me how SOME(guys) can't see how it is just a good show. Not a great show, just solid info, nothing devised to even try and been slick.

The biggest thing M&H show us is just amazingly bad North became in the last 5 years. He drove away people who just wanted to talk sports.

It's not a good show. They don't have opinions on much, it's not any more informative than the average show, they don't have good guests, and their "humor" drives many away, like me.

What's left?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:10 am 

pizza_Place: Potbelly Sandwich Shop
Mully and Hanley hurt my ears and they take 1000 commercial breaks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:56 am 

spmack wrote:
Mac, if you think Mully and Hanley are so good, how about a transition with them???
I don't think Mac was saying they were good. He was saying they got good ratings.

The ratings are easily explainable. People have just spent a night watching sports. The option is either to listen to Mike and Mike talk about the Jets and Broncos schedules, or listen to M&H talk about Chicago sports they care more about. M&H should win that every single time unless we are in a period where national sports matter more. Drinky and Goff would win the timeslot too because when people woke up today they wanted to talk about how much we all hate Rafi Torres and how the White Sox dream season is slowly slipping away.

The fact that Mike North couldn't do that is not evidence that M&H is good, but that he failed to understand what he needed to do.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:03 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spmack wrote:
Mac, if you think Mully and Hanley are so good, how about a transition with them???
I don't think Mac was saying they were good. He was saying they got good ratings.

Mac basically said good ratings = good show. I don't think there's any other meaning when you say "If you think the show sucks the ratings say otherwise".

I'm almost positive if M&M wasn't on tv they would be a little higher also.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:14 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Mac basically said good ratings = good show. I don't think there's any other meaning when you say "If you think the show sucks the ratings say otherwise".
No, he didn't. He said one metric says they are good. I've never gotten the feeling that Mac is a huge fan of M&H and I don't think they are a fan of either Mac or the afternoon show.

Someone else can find it, but I believe in a previous "Ask Mac" section Mac said there should never be any excuse for a local show to lose to a national show. Also, I did find a post where Mac says Mike and Mike suck but didn't feel like getting up at 3am to go against them to take them down.

I don't think he dislikes the M&H show. I think he's probably indifferent.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:20 am 

Like I said, I don't think there's any other way to take what he said. I also doubt he would even address it if he was indifferent, since it's the only other slot besides his that he mentioned.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:22 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Like I said, I don't think there's any other way to take what he said. I also doubt he would even address it if he was indifferent, since it's the only other slot besides his that he mentioned.
He clearly is a much bigger fan of B&B and he didn't address them.

I don't want to put words in Mac's mouth but it seems like there is, and always will be some animosity between the morning show and him and his show. There is a reason there is no transition between them. I don't think they hate each other. I just don't think they mix that well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
mike mulligan is the reason there is no transition ...mully = sensitive little bitch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
[The ratings are easily explainable. People have just spent a night watching sports. The option is either to listen to Mike and Mike talk about the Jets and Broncos schedules, or listen to M&H talk about Chicago sports they care more about. M&H should win that every single time unless we are in a period where national sports matter more. Drinky and Goff would win the timeslot too because when people woke up today they wanted to talk about how much we all hate Rafi Torres and how the White Sox dream season is slowly slipping away.

The fact that Mike North couldn't do that is not evidence that M&H is good, but that he failed to understand what he needed to do.

How doe you explain Shaer's or Bear and Bull's unpopularity?

The Score was losing mornings until Murph and Fred took the slot. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, Mully and Hanley are #1 in Macs preferred demographics for any format, not just sports.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:24 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I wasn't a sports radio listener back then, but Mike and Mike seem to have gotten less tolerable as time has gone on and basically turned into fake sports talk.

It's the same reason Jim Rome never worked here, or that Dan Patrick didn't really work here. National radio just doesn't play well in Chicago. Mike and Mike are the exception, but they are being beaten pretty soundly by the unexceptional morning show on the Score. Even most fans of M&H say "They aren't great, but they aren't bad either!".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:26 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
good dolphin wrote:

The Score was losing mornings until Murph and Fred took the slot. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, Mully and Hanley are #1 in Macs preferred demographics for any format, not just sports.

Radio is different now. There are fewer decent local options for talk.

Bob Collins owned the mornings - I even listened to him as a relatively young man. The early '90s still had a relevant Brandmeier, even Dahl & Wolf.

Unless you were going to listen to Don & R-r-roma or that robot that WGN had on the last few years, you'd have a pretty good shot at it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
You could put damn near anyone from the score's staff on in the mornings and they would beat M&M....except Maya.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I'd listen to tapes of Wally Phillips instead of M&H! :lol:

A Wally Phillips podcast would probably bring in big $$. Sometimes I amaze myself with my good ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
bigfan wrote:
It still amazes me how SOME(guys) can't see how it is just a good show.
That's because its not a good show. You like them, good for you. It is NOT a good show.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:00 am 

Frank is 100% right good ratings do not mean it is a good show, and just because some like it doesnt mean others should. If ratings are the end all be all then the lack of a drop when Mac was gone means that he is irrelevant on his own show?? No, It is a much better show when he is on ratings or not.
Yes ratings mean a lot to advertisers, but Madonna is a top selling act right now and will anyone here say she is the tops in the music industry?? No but sponsors will see that and latch on becuase the average person is a complete dumbass.
Oh, and Mac does this mean you are staying on the board now??

the victory cry of low achievers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:14 am 

Mac wrote:
I think we were 2nd in the fall book. So... 3rd in this one... I'll take it. Sawbucks!

Okay-the show held onto the majority of listeners, which is significant. but there was a bit of a slide from 2nd to 3rd, while AM1000 rose a bit...so the point initially made about a possible shift of some listeners is accurate, if to a lesser extent than some may have imagined.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mac wrote:

Lil Wayne sells a ton of fucking records...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:14 pm 

Justin Bieber sells a ton of records as well....doesn't mean he's good.

Look....M&H have a bad radio show. Too yelly, screamy, bad bits, fake and forced laughter just to name a few things that are bad about this show. The M&H show is a refuge for people who have bad sports thoughts....they can go there and feel one with the hosts because most of the time...they have bad sports thoughts as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:04 pm 

I hate to point out the obvious that bad is subjective with the only objective barometer for being popularity in the form of ratings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
eh not always...look at millions of people who thought sarah palin was an adequate choice for v.p....that is tens of millions compared to 40 k people locally listening to mulligan scream and tell bad jokes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
The bottom line is, they're better than Mike and Mike, and a lot less offensive than Mike North. They regained the ratings that Murph had (and North destroyed,) and they beat Mike and Mike.

Everything else is personal taste

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:44 pm 

312player wrote:
eh not always...look at millions of people who thought sarah palin was an adequate choice for v.p....that is tens of millions compared to 40 k people locally listening to mulligan scream and tell bad jokes.

she lost the election. That is a candidates metric.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
I liked listening to Tom Shaer in the early years. I was in my early 20's so I wasn't too particular or have any critiques about him back then. I liked "The Shot Clock" segment and thought he was good with guests as well as callers.

So now that I think about it, M&H aren't really that different from Shaer. They're well informed sports guys that try to entertain....I'll give 'em that.

I think we're a little bit spoiled when it comes to the sports radio shows in this city because we have Mac & Spiegs/ Boers & Bernstein....guys who know their sports, but also have radio personalities almost equal to that of rock stars, so they have a loyal following. I'd include Les in that mix as well. His ridiculous instant recall of sports miniutia makes him a legendary personality. Everyone else that has a show is pretty much just a guy or two... or three in some cases that talks about sports and doesn't build up a radio persona. I don't know where to fit LoHo in there. He was a personality of sorts, but many seem to be put off by him for some reason.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Beebo wrote:
The bottom line is, they're better than Mike and Mike, and a lot less offensive than Mike North. They regained the ratings that Murph had (and North destroyed,) and they beat Mike and Mike.

Everything else is personal taste

well said

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:41 pm 

Hanley is the worst of the two. He's smarmy but more of a dork than anything. Mully seems like a good-natured guy. It's not a great show but I find it amusing at times in the car. More than that Mike and Mike shit. Greenie, Sheftie, Stats, Stink, Fucknuts, Grabass, Cum Dumpster. All these fucking loser nicknames. And they get the worst puds in the business to sub for them when they are gone like Buster Olney and Doub Gotlieb.

Greenberg: Ok, everyone, Mike and Mike. Welcome back. Hey Golic?

Golic: Yes, you metrosexual girly man?

Greenberg: You're a dumb fat fuck you know that?

Golic: Oh yes I do. I got the memo to play up my lardassness and lack of education to appeal to your average working class stiff.

Greenberg: Uh, huh. Mike and Mike. ESPN Radio. I recall that memo. I was also ordered to act like an overly groomed sackless bitch to corral the white collar college-educated types who don't know the difference between a flathead and a Phillips screwdriver.

Golic: Flathead? I once ate a 45 pound flathead catfish raw.

Greenberg: God, you are fat. Big fat fatty.

Golic: SHEET...OF...INTEGRITY!