It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Curious Hair wrote:
In fairness, reading copy isn't as easy as you think, especially if you're sight-reading. Read something out loud bearing in mind that you cannot make a single mistake in inflection, breathing, or pronunciation. Easy to psych yourself out. But of course, there's the occasional slip or garble, and then there's the WSCRian shit parade of "John Mound on the danks for the Sex tonight it's a 1:05 shart" or whatever it is they're reporting these days.

This :cheers:

Jay Podium at the Cutler

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
A few weeks ago, I was voicing a spot for an art gallery that does some master classes on the weekends. One of the lines I wrote was something about "the satisfaction of a day immersed in art." Because I have had too much Terry Boers in my life, I started thinking about someone being physically immersed, hey buddy, in a man named Art, and I death-spiraled like I have never death-spiraled before. I think it took another ten takes not to burst out laughing. I eventually changed the line so I could go to sleep.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchinos
Ciminos
Curious Hair wrote:
Constantly referring to basketball as "hoopage" isn't proper. Or if it is, it's just annoying as shit.

SomeGuy wrote:
I would actually like to see the copy she is reading....is it a properly worded printout? Written legibly? What it sounds like is she is reading from a dog eared, coffee ring stained, wrinkled up piece of dog eared paper that has the copy written in faded pen by a monkey that's lit up on a jug of Carlos Rossi merlot.

It's been hinted here that not all update anchors write their own copy, nor do they even get to read it off a monitor. Given that I distinctly remember Bernstein mocking Mitch for a memo that unironically referred to Mundelein as "Mudline," I can't even begin to imagine the staggering illiteracy of Score employees who aren't six-figure middle managers for CBS Radio in the #3 media market.

Can they not re-write it if it fucks them up THAT much???

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:12 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was voicing a spot for an art gallery that does some master classes on the weekends. One of the lines I wrote was something about "the satisfaction of a day immersed in art." Because I have had too much Terry Boers in my life, I started thinking about someone being physically immersed, hey buddy, in a man named Art, and I death-spiraled like I have never death-spiraled before. I think it took another ten takes not to burst out laughing. I eventually changed the line so I could go to sleep.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, I hope you're not letting Uncle Terry creep into your dreams. :shock: :pale:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
SHARK wrote:
Any idea what Joe Bartosch is doing these days? Damn, I miss his sports update & comedy stylings... :lol:

Yup. Joe was the best update guy in the history of update guys. Where the hell is he these days? Didn't he go to WBBM a few years ago?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchinos
Ciminos
Scorehead wrote:
Yup. Joe was the best update guy in the history of update guys. Where the hell is he these days? Didn't he go to WBBM a few years ago?

Might still be doing this too:
http://users.dls.net/~faulkners/

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Constantly referring to basketball as "hoopage" isn't proper.

Unless you're Milo Aukerman.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
My problems with Carrie are more that she sounds terribly defeated. I know she's pregnant, I know she's doing dull-ass scoreboard updates, but at least fool me into thinking you give a shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Sounded like Mac took a shot at Kerry today, said Zach Zaidman was doing updates today and in English so you can understand them.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
reents wrote:
Sounded like Mac took a shot at Kerry today, said Zach Zaidman was doing updates today and in English so you can understand them.

Wow. Mac being a huge asshole to someone he works with....taking the BernSTINE route except I'm sure Kerry wasn't there to defend herself.

Mac....the white knight of radio!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Curious Hair wrote:
In fairness, reading copy isn't as easy as you think, especially if you're sight-reading. Read something out loud bearing in mind that you cannot make a single mistake in inflection, breathing, or pronunciation. Easy to psych yourself out. But of course, there's the occasional slip or garble, and then there's the WSCRian shit parade of "John Mound on the danks for the Sex tonight it's a 1:05 shart" or whatever it is they're reporting these days.

If you are a communications major & are employed as a broadcaster, being able to read copy is a requirement & prerequisite. For God sakes, if you cant read copy then do a job that you are qualified for.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
reents wrote:

I agree. I thought he said something about cleanly written and read copy. I heard this at 1. Did Mac make an earlier mention?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I think Mac said it about the 1 minute break on the thirties, maybe the 11:30 eastern.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Scorehead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

If you are a communications major & are employed as a broadcaster, being able to read copy is a requirement & prerequisite. For God sakes, if you cant read copy then do a job that you are qualified for.

As a comm studies major (queue the "we're happy for ya" drop) and former pro broadcaster ('pro' as in I was paid to be on the air, but not much else), reading copy is not hard. Inflection and pronunciation should come naturally. If you write copy, especially your own, you always, always type out weird names/words phonetically, but those slip of the tongues (Solar Homo) are inevitable/hilarious.

The key to a good update is spitting the reports out and being crisp. Kerry's obviously harassed and peppered with unfunny/sexist commentary during her updates, and that style doesn't fit her at all. She seems rather exhausted with it as of late, but that could just be the preggz.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:04 pm 

She did a pretty solid job today from what I heard.

I kind of do get the same impression that she's not all that much into her job right now. Wish Kerry would jump on here and react.....and maybe set some of us straight.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
She did a pretty solid job today from what I heard.

I kind of do get the same impression that she's not all that much into her job right now. Wish Kerry would jump on here and react.....and maybe set some of us straight.

How would having Kerry come on this board set us straight? It wouldn't undo the crap work I've heard from her.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
How would having Kerry come on this board set us straight? It wouldn't undo the crap work I've heard from her.

This. Just because she miraculously managed nothing worse today than over-long pauses doesn't undo her usual daily incompetence

Whenever I hear her start to speak, I cringe. I guess I should just PTFB.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
yeah ..it i brutal...amazed that someone can keep their job this long and suck so bad..

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 am 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
and maybe set some of us straight.

she could didle on a live stream and still not set a good amount of these guys straight

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
And now we get John Danks pitching the "5th game of a 4 game set". Mercy, it just doesn't stop.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
uofiguy wrote:
And now we get John Danks pitching the "5th game of a 4 game set". Mercy, it just doesn't stop.

Are you kidding me? Kerry doesn't have FOX32 to fall back on anymore...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Cubs have the worst bullpen in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:05 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Even if her reports were flawless, I'd still find her voice grating and supremely irritating. Funny, I never noticed this when watching her on television. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:15 pm 

A7X wrote:
Even if her reports were flawless, I'd still find her voice grating and supremely irritating. Funny, I never noticed this when watching her on television. :shock:

Kerry came from a TV background.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:17 pm 

SHARK wrote:
A7X wrote:

Which one?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm 

spanky wrote:
SHARK wrote:
A7X wrote:

Which one?

FSN Northwest (now known as ROOT Sports Northwest), Comcast SportsNet & most recently FOX32.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
She was good today...definitely a lot more focused.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Yup, that was "special." Seriously, what the eff is WRONG with her?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
And she has been awful today. The last 10:30 update was excruciating; 4 or 5 long, confused pauses. I don't know if it's babybrain or whatever (which I find hard to believe as my fiance is 7 months and still able to be coherent) but she needs to go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next