It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
spmack wrote:
:lol: I've got a picture for you, B.C. Boyd.

Weirdo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
A7X wrote:
Kerry: The Kings could get the sleep with a win. :lol:

She is reaching Art Norman levels of bad.

It's awkward and cheeky (I think) when B&B and Goff give very hard hitting and sharp and not so thinly veiled shots at Kerry Sayers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'd like to see Art Norman and Warner Saunder try to read a sinicalypse post aloud.

Throw in Mike Adamle and I'm there. I'm so glad I was watching the night he described a common basketball move as a "slam Caller Bob". If I didn't hear it live, I'd think it was urban legend. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
:lol: :lol:

Classic Mac rant. That was great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 am 

Not listening. What did he rant about?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
SomeGuy wrote:
A7X wrote:

It's awkward and cheeky (I think) when B&B and Goff give very hard hitting and sharp and not so thinly veiled shots at Kerry Sayers.

With the talent that she has maybe one day she can work her way up the ladder to the exalted heights of radio show producer.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Don't care about the Score softball team. There were 2 real games played last night in town. Let's talk about one.

Shit.

There is way too much talk (mostly on B&B) of the Score softball team. "Way too much" being any.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 pm 

This is the one thing that has forced me to PTFB on Dan McNeil over the years. I appreciate his candor about sports and various other topics including basketball but I am a basketball fan it is my favorite sport by far and his lack of acumen makes his show a difficult listen particularly during a period in which basketball rules. I don't want to hear about the countdown to Bourbannais in May or June. The Bears and Pro Football are simply not that compelling during the off season. Pro Football training camps are boring like other sports training camps you don't learn much other than so and so looks great in camp or so and so came into camp in good shape. The over saturation of football that you find on sports talk shows is what has turned me off to both entities. It should not be a surprise to long time listeners of his show that he does not like basketball. What I have a problem with is the way other sports are promoted as a way to spark interest in them even when most of the listening public can care less.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
A7X wrote:

Easy for Kerry to say!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
long time guy wrote:
This is the one thing that has forced me to PTFB on Dan McNeil over the years. I appreciate his candor about sports and various other topics including basketball but I am a basketball fan it is my favorite sport by far and his lack of acumen makes his show a difficult listen particularly during a period in which basketball rules. I don't want to hear about the countdown to Bourbannais in May or June. The Bears and Pro Football are simply not that compelling during the off season. Pro Football training camps are boring like other sports training camps you don't learn much other than so and so looks great in camp or so and so came into camp in good shape. The over saturation of football that you find on sports talk shows is what has turned me off to both entities. It should not be a surprise to long time listeners of his show that he does not like basketball. What I have a problem with is the way other sports are promoted as a way to spark interest in them even when most of the listening public can care less.

good stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:39 pm 

Correction. spmack. I am paid to build ratings and revenue. Reflecting interest, not attempting to create it, is what works to accomplish both. And I participated in the chatter.... redundant as it was. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 pm 

It's not just the national aspect of the NBA story. He is perfectly willing to talk national when it comes to football. He doesn't like basketball. He never has is obviously uncomfortable when he has to discuss it. Unfortunately June has alway been basketball season, which makes difficult for him to duck. I have heard him over the years describe how certain basketball games that were considered to be nail biters were boring or his classic line about wake me when the playoffs are over. When he and Boers were paired it was always about Bulls fans were only Michael Jordan fans and thus when he retired they would go away. The Bulls attendance was amongst the highest in the league years after Jordan retired even when the team sucked. This was all used as diversion to take away from the fact that he was ignorant about basketball. There has always been an attempt by him to make the sport irrelevant because he lacks knowledge about it.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:42 pm 

Mac, you started resenting the NBA when the Bulls championships stole all the Blackhawk headlines in the 90's, isnt that true?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 pm 

are we really going to compare the interest level in NATIONAL NBA talk to the monster that is the NFL? please. that's a fight between a florist and mike tyson, circa 1988.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mac, you started resenting the NBA when the Bulls championships stole all the Blackhawk headlines in the 90's, isnt that true?

That run in 92 was great wasn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Mac wrote:
are we really going to compare the interest level in NATIONAL NBA talk to the monster that is the NFL? please. that's a fight between a florist and mike tyson, circa 1988.
Well considering that this is the offseason for football and taking into account the local, national (and closed door bathroom in BernStine's case) interest that LBJ generates, I would say yeah at this time of year it wouldn't be too fucking much to ask you to watch a pretty interesting basketball game with a good storyline.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 pm 

Mac overall i agree with you. The behemoth that is the NFL is not matched by the NBA. In June however the NBA and its playoffs rule. There is not one NFL story right now that interests me. Terell Owens firing Drew Rosenhaus Tim Tebow how many ways can we drum up interests in him. Is it the changes that Mike Tice is going to make to the Bears offense. The most compelling thing in sports right now is the NBA playoffs and whether or not Lebron James is going to get it done in the playoffs. Right now there is no comparison

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Mac overall i agree with you. The behemoth that is the NFL is not matched by the NBA. In June however the NBA and its playoffs rule. There is not one NFL story right now that interests me. Terell Owens firing Drew Rosenhaus Tim Tebow how many ways can we drum up interests in him. Is it the changes that Mike Tice is going to make to the Bears offense. The most compelling thing in sports right now is the NBA playoffs and whether or not Lebron James is going to get it done in the playoffs. Right now there is no comparison

The NFL is king. There's nothing the NBA, NHL & MLB can do to stop them. Besides, there are storylines around the league that are worth following. One of them is the possibility of replacement NFL officials. Another is what's NOT happening with Drew Brees and the Saints. Another is this phenomenom that is Tim Tebow...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Is Mitch aware that he's coming in the fall? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
suggest mac not feign interest in NBA but rather bring on a guest while speigs talks and mac goes for a smoke.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Hatchetman wrote:
suggest mac not feign interest in NBA but rather bring on a guest while speigs talks and mac goes for a smoke.

Not a bad idea at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Bacci Pizza
B&B do the same thing with hockey, why can't Mac do the same thing with NBA? I would understand the anger towards Mac if it were the Bulls playing, but they're not. I thoroughly enjoy the Mac & Spiegs show because the talk about a variety of things and are one of the very few shows that talk about the NHL. If you don't like the lack of NBA talk, PTFB like I do during the B&B show and their 5 hours worth of NBA talk.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:31 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Not a bad idea at all.

Nice job Boilermaker Rick

Now people think smoking is a GOOD idea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
The most compelling thing in sports right now is the NBA playoffs and whether or not Lebron James is going to get it done in the playoffs.

That is so true. I have to wonder if I will watch the NBA finals as much as I have the Conference finals, if Miami is eliminated? As it is, I watch the Eastern Conference finals hoping to see the Celtics eliminate the Heat. I watch the Western Conference finals trying to determine whether either the Spurs or Thunder has enough to beat the Heat if they meet in the finals. Once the Heat is gone, I suspect I won't care as much.

Last edited by Elmhurst Steve on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
long time guy wrote:
The most compelling thing in sports right now is the NBA playoffs and whether or not Lebron James is going to get it done in the playoffs.

That is so true. I have to wonder if I will watch the NBA finals as much as I have the Conference finals, if Miami is eliminated? As it is, I watch the Eastern Conference finals hoping to see the Celtics eliminate the Heat. I watch the Western Conference finals trying to determine whether either the Spurs or Thunder has enough to beat the Heat if they meet in the finals. One the Heat is gone, I suspect I won't care as much.

Guys, the NBA Finals won't tip until next Tuesday, June 12th, whether the Heat are in it or not. ABC bosses are praying that the Spurs get knocked off by the Thunder either tonight in Game 6 or Friday in a possible Game 7. Right now, the winner of the Western Conference Finals will be favored to win the Finals when they do tip Tuesday.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Shark, you think the Thunder or SPurs would be favored over the Heat, Celtics I would say, but not the Heat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
If it should turn out to be Heat/Thunder, I think that would have a lot of appeal for younger fans. Both teams have players in, or just entering their prime. The Spurs and Celtics are both older teams perhaps on their last legs to reach an NBA finals. Each has Hall of Fame players But while they are still very capable players, except for Rondo the stars are past their prime. I want to see Celttics/Thunder most because I think the Thunder is the best team in the NBA and I hate the Heat. But I think a Heat/Thunder finals would be pretty damn entertaining.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:56 pm 

"The Decision" rightly or wrongly has made Lebron James must see TV. I would watch the finals regardless because I like basketball and there are many interesting teams this year. Its a bit of a downer that the Bulls are not involved but there are good teams and the games have been good. It is not easy to dismiss basketball nor is it easy to hide behind the local angle regarding sports especially considering that the Cubs suck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Mac wrote:
Correction. spmack. I am paid to build ratings and revenue. Reflecting interest, not attempting to create it, is what works to accomplish both. And I participated in the chatter.... redundant as it was. :-)

Come on, man. Do you really think that's what you do? I'm not raking you. It's your show. Do whatever the fuck you want. But you can't talk as much hockey and Purdue football as you do and claim to be "reflecting interest".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
If it should turn out to be Heat/Thunder, I think that would have a lot of appeal for younger fans. Both teams have players in, or just entering their prime. The Spurs and Celtics are both older teams perhaps on their last legs to reach an NBA finals. Each has Hall of Fame players But while they are still very capable players, except for Rondo the stars are past their prime. I want to see Celttics/Thunder most because I think the Thunder is the best team in the NBA and I hate the Heat. But I think a Heat/Thunder finals would be pretty damn entertaining.

It is precisely the aging stars versus the young upstarts aspect which adds to the intrigue. There is nothing more interesting in sports than watching aging stars that have pride attempt to compete and show that they still have it. In both series you have that although the stars on Miami's team are not as young as OKC. Boston's veterans have a lot of pride as does San Antonio's and it is obvious that they love to compete. That is why the Finals are so interesting as well as the fact that Lebron James has not won a championship yet which may seem to invalidate "The decision"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next