It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL Releases All-22 Film
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Quote:
Rejoice, football dorks! The NFL evidently rolled out its Game Rewind 2012 today and announced that there'll be real full-game-length All-22 film in there. This is big.

For the vast majority of football fans, those who enjoy the games just fine with Cleatus the Hoppin' Fox Robot and Phil Simms's Appalachian intonation on short-I sounds, this won't make a difference. The public availability of All-22 film won't change the way broadcasters work, either, because many TV analysts have access to the private film. (Cris Collinsworth frequently—and endearingly—talks about all the film he's broken down.)

But here's what will change: We'll soon see a lot of hobbyists learning much more about how the game works and bringing that new knowledge to a broad audience, kind of like what Sebastian Pruiti and his kind did for NBA basketball.

Football journalists (except those at the stadium) always had to watch the games like everyone else does, relying on television camera angles that do little to show line play and coverage in the secondary. If you wanted to dig deeper, you had to play Madden. Football Outsiders and Pro Football Focus did what they could, but the numbers—gleaned from watching taped TV presentations of the games—weren't as precise as they could be.

Now, we'll know for sure which defensive back got beat on a given play, and we'll know for sure which lineman on the left side gave up the pressure. We'll have a much better sense of the coverages and blocking schemes teams run, because writers will distill all of this for us and publish it. (You won't have to watch the game tape, and lucky you, because it's captured in 4:3—not HD-friendly—and without sound.)

And, make no mistake, the NFL directly resisted that enlightenment. As Reed Albergotti wrote in the Wall Street Journal last year:

Charley Casserly, a former general manager who was a member of the NFL's competition committee, says he voted against releasing All-22 footage because he worried that if fans had access, it would open players and teams up to a level of criticism far beyond the current hum of talk radio. Casserly believed fans would jump to conclusions after watching one or two games in the All 22, without knowing the full story.

Bye-bye, gnosticism, hello, chaos. It'll be a rough few years for the NFL's worst coaches. But, maybe a decade or two from now, we'll see the NFL's coaching ranks full of kids who grew up dissecting All 22. It worked pretty well for this one.

This is pretty cool. IB - Im pretty sure I remember you saying a few years ago you really wish the NFL would do this. You gonna get the tapes?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Definitely. I think they set the price at $70 for online streaming of that stuff. That's much less than I would have thought.

Our knowledge of skill players and defensive backfields is going to improve tenfold next season. It should help quite a bit looking at o-line play too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 am 

Yeah $70 seems like a lot less than I thought. I figure the type of target demo that would pay $70 for silent, non-HD all-22 football footage would pay $200 for it.

Do you know is that for the full regular season, or does it include playoffs and/or preseason?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Will this make guys like Matt Bowen and Ron Jawarskj obsolete?

If so I'll buy it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: ***
Playoff yes. I don't think they'll do preseason if I'm reading this (https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?ttv=7&ttp=3&campaign=Ext_Email_GR0615_Ret) correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:26 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Will this make guys like Matt Bowen and Ron Jawarskj obsolete?

If so I'll buy it.

Give me a week or so to pick up on the nuances of the game, and then yes.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Quote:
Charley Casserly, a former general manager who was a member of the NFL's competition committee, says he voted against releasing All-22 footage because he worried that if fans had access, it would open players and teams up to a level of criticism far beyond the current hum of talk radio. Casserly believed fans would jump to conclusions after watching one or two games in the All 22, without knowing the full story.

"Heaven forfend the peasants lay their grimy hands on proprietary film, lest they form opinions of their own!"

/monocle falls into tea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
So GM's think this is the football equivalent of teaching serfs how to read?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:57 pm 

I wouldn't be dismissive of it. It's not anything it doesn't claim to be. I don't know if I'll have the interest to buy it but for those who do they would be able to learn probably 3-4x more about everything that happened on the field than if they had just watched the tv broadcast.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:28 am 

It seems like it will be more like watching the game live, except that you can rewind and fast forward. One of the callers on the Score said he's looking forward to Lovie Smith hearing it more from the media when it becomes clear who blew an assignment.

Although it's not the same, I would have to think you could see a lot of the same stuff if you had all the camera angles.