It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
How does Bigfan feel about all this? I mean m&H is his fav show.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 pm 

Some rainy day I'll fish through a big bag of cassettes. Gotta have a few things. Quality will be shit... but it might be worth the effort. Good to meet you Tuesday, dude.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I was an avid Steve and Gary listener. I recall a show when you and his producers did a "producers" show. One of my first exposures to the golden pipes of a Daaaan Maaacneal. Did you ever hit the bathroom with Steve and Joe Walsh?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Hey Mac, and chance you could re-rack any late 80's young Danny Mac action from Chet Fill-ins or Steve & Garry interactions?

Or do you not have the rights to re-broadcast that stuff?

I want to hear the time Steve found a toenail in the studio, and blamed it on Rusty. The boyquarium took a lot of shit from Steve & Garry. They used to joke that Chet used to take them all to Shakey's on Friday nights like a cub scout pack. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Back then Steve and Chet didn't really get along too well. Dahl called Mac "Rusty," and he had a voice for him. He was Chet's little helper and an overly serious little sports guy. Chet and Mac were always very serious back in the day. Of course sports is very serious business, (especially when Ditka had his grabber).

random story: one time chet comes on right after Dahl and he starts talking and I know something's wrong right away ...his voice is all warbly...then he starts choking and goes silent. I think, "holy shit, Chet's having a heart attack on the air. Do I call 911?" I was freaking out. Then a few seconds later Chet comes back on and apparently he was eating an apple and the skin got caught in his throat. I'd love to hear that tape. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I find it strange that mully could get so offended at a coworker commenting on his strange euro fascination yet every Thursday he interviews a pitching coach who pisses all over him and his cohost for no reason. What he tolerates with a smile from that guy is absurd.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
You guys think Mancow killed the Chicago ShockJock scene? It seems like it ended with him.

That's the thing. Chicago never really had "Shock Jocks". It didn't work here. Even Stern couldn't really catch on when he was working a real shock angle. Johnny B. tried the shock approach at first but quickly became a real guy. Mancow was a fucking phony. And now he's some rightwing nutjob and that's the real Mancow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
You guys think Mancow killed the Chicago ShockJock scene? It seems like it ended with him.

That's the thing. Chicago never really had "Shock Jocks". It didn't work here. Even Stern couldn't really catch on when he was working a real shock angle. Johnny B. tried the shock approach at first but quickly became a real guy. Mancow was a fucking phony. And now he's some rightwing nutjob and that's the real Mancow.

+1

Fuck Mancow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:

Good call on Mancow. I never liked that guy. My BS detector went off any time I heard him. Total phony.

I remember hanging out in the Naperville bars in the early 90s and The Blaze (103.5) had a van with people handing out Mancow bumper stickers months before that idiot even came on the air. I think he came from San Francisco.

I don't understand how he was ever popular.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:26 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:

Steve & Garry were shock jocks.

And I'd love to hear some old tapes of Mac fill-in hosting on COS and doing a horrible Chet impersonation. I'm glad he moved on from that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Steve & Garry were shock jocks.

I would disagree with that. Dahl was a real guy who just played himself on the radio. He still plays himself on the Internet. But now he's just a boring old rich guy who plays golf instead of blowing rails and drinking all night. It just happened that he was a hard-partying rock and roll listening motherfucker. Just like his audience. Insane Coho Lips! The fact that older people found it shocking that someone let him on the radio doesn't make him a "shock jock" in my view. I consider a shock jock someone who is purposely trying to incite. In that regard, danny bernstein is much closer to being a shock jock than Dahl ever was.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Dan's not close to being a shock jock, either, as at no point do you ever believe that he will be reproached.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:52 pm 
Site Admin

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Blowing shit up on a baseball field is not purposely trying to incite. .. a riot? :scratch:

No. At the time he was worried nobody would even come. That was a promotion he and Mike Veeck cooked up and the Sox dumped it in Dahl's lap when shit went bad. The Sox wish they could get 60,000 people begging to get into their ballpark right about now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
What is the Mully/Herb story? I missed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Blowing shit up on a baseball field is not purposely trying to incite. .. a riot? :scratch:

No. At the time he was worried nobody would even come. That was a promotion he and Mike Veeck cooked up and the Sox dumped it in Dahl's lap when shit went bad. The Sox wish they could get 60,000 people begging to get into their ballpark right about now.

Sorry, Joe, I gotta call Shenanigans on you here.

Regardless of the setup, that shit is in the Websters definition of SHOCK JOCK.

I'm not saying that shock jocks weren't influenced by Dahl; simply that Dahl was not a shock jock. Nobody knew that every teenage knucklehead in Chicago was going to show up at that doubleheader with a disco record, 98 cents, and a nickel bag. They were averaging about 15,000 a game. They figured if they could bump it up to 25,000 on a Thursday night it would be a wild success. Nobody expected guys to storm the field.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

Franky T wrote:

Mully likes black coffee, not black producers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:34 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac wrote:
Anything said on the air or written here would constitute a "public" commentary.

Actually, Mr. Gloopy, being -- in your words -- "a douchebag," has worked well for me financially. The conflict on the MJH did not hinder its appeal; it enhanced it. "Soap opera for guys" as my wife labeled it. I think she was right. It's not for every listener, but based on the buzz here since Monday, I can't help but agree with those who suggest a little tension now and again is a good thing.

Granted, Mr. Mackeyfish, that having a recession based mid day contract is better than most of us, it pales in comparison to what might have been for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:49 am 
Site Admin

Mac wrote:
"Soap opera for guys" as my wife labeled it.

That's pretty funny. That's what my girlfriend calls it too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:02 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Then Mac & Spiegs were doing tranny with M&H

this is usually when any story gets interesting. lol.

you know what, i gotta give out some propers to mac here.... i can't say that i'm in mac's target demo (i'll be 32 in september) however i can tell you that the guy handles his business. i kind of miss the old days driving around when i could pop from b&b commercials over to the saloon and see what they had going on, altho now there's thom hartmann who syncs up better than that, and welp.... for what mac does with the format alls i know is that i walk away with the opinion that he'd be a cool guy to have a beer and a smoke with.

see, that's part and parcel to the whole "mental masturbation" angle of sports talk radio... after the guy wanks your mind off, will he have a beer and a cigarette with you? obvious falling off the horse jokes aside, it's more of a metaphor for how one interfaces with the great unwashed that call in during shirtless driving season.

see for all the shit that bernstein gets on here, i've met him at a couple of remotes. he's a really unassuming average family guy about the events. it's a lot easier to sound like a totaltarian tyrant with 50k watts behind you.... i got my picture with terry, of course throughout the picture we were just talking shit about things.,.. poerhaps i shouldn't have approached him like "hey terry carlin died on me last year so i'm getting a picture with you before you die" and welp, that's kind of the whole community aspect of the sports radio... .as terry used to call it, they make themselves available you can come out and touch them rah rah rha.

the mac show, at least on the board, always seemed way more cliqish and what have you. perhaps its cuz mac reminds me more of the bubba the love sponge type radio host, or dare i say pappy, where he kind of espouses a lifestyle that, quite honestly, countless middle-aged men wish they had. whereas bernstein tries to quest for truth and fight the wrongs of the world, dan's got that "pull a chair up to my bar" thing going where he's essentially the cool bartender kind of setting the pace during your stay. it's a different product really, hence the "enmity" or "drama" between the different brands.

so after.... how many years? you gotta give the guy his due... the spiegel move has worked out nicely as he's grown into the show (my first reaction was "hey they gave mcneil a bernstein to partner up with") but like lung cancer, spiegel kind of grows on ya and after a year where you swore you're quit you're like hey i thought i was quitting smoking a year ago

incidentally, when tributasaurus finally challenges themselves and does trouble funk, i'll show up for that one. hell meet me half way and do parliament funkadelic if you haven't already done it =)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:38 am 

Mac's show is the last bastion for meatballs. Long live meatballs! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:40 am 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Franky T wrote:

That's how all this shit popped off.

First, Mully hates Lebron (like me), and he routinely lets fans call in to revel in their LeBron hate, which dopes like Bernstein like to label as racist.

Then he big-times a smart-assed little shit Herb who didn't know his place, and everyone gave him shit about it and labeled him racist just because punk ass, no advancing at the station in 35 years (I wonder why?) Herb has brown skin.

Then Mac & Spiegs were doing tranny with M&H, and I think it was Spiegs who said something and called him an "Anglophile", riffing off of his love for Britain and soccer, but under-the-table actually side-riffing on the racism accusations. The Herb thing had only recently went down, so Mully picked up on it right away and probably recognized it as career poison if he let it become a meme.

I think that is why Mac is probably so miffed - he really didn't do much of anything. Mully probably has some issue of his own regarding his feelings toward Mac, and just used that episode as an excuse to withdraw from direct dealings.

But the Herb story never came out.

We just pieced it together from some sketchy details.

All we know is Mully was pissed one morning that coffee wasnt made. Then on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OCCASSION Mully ripped Herb on air.

Most here just combined the stories, but its far from confirmed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Anybody big timing a co-worker is crap in my mind. Most people have to start at the bottom and work their way up. For those that forget that, well f you.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:20 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Are you kidding me Mully ? How does this possibly end well for you ?

Gonna censor the whole internet?

What's wrong with you? Knock off the Eurobsession....its extremely weird and uninteresting.

Oh and stop saying "this idea that ___"

Its annoying and you do it 100 times an hour

This board got Grobber to ease on "so much for that"

I suggest you use this place like Mac n Grobber and stop combing the board for negative comments about you.

You're Welcome
RACK HIM!

When interviewing, just ask the damn question. You go on this rant and in all different directions when you are attempting to ask a question. Its unprofessional, rude, and just hard to listen to. Also "and again..." also sucks.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:23 am 

Poor Hanley must want to kill him. Mully will go on some long winded question to Hanley (what do Cub fans think about...), Mully will answer it himself (I know if I were a Cub fan.....)and then cut to a commercial. Fucking Hanley didn't even get one word in. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 am 

Hanley apologists, please stop. They both suck. Any time Hanley wants to stop doing his Boers' impression, fine by me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:39 am 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
Hanley apologists, please stop. They both suck. Any time Hanley wants to stop doing his Boers' impression, fine by me.

He does a Boers impression?

Hanley is awful but Dennis is right, Mully DOES do that

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:41 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

He does a Boers impression?

Hanley is awful but Dennis is right, Mully DOES do that

Yeah, anytime there's an innuendo, Hanley chimes in with that stupid "all right" grunt, a la Boers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Mike Mulligan is bad at radio. Brian Hanley is slightly better.

It's always the same, it's just a shame That's All...

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:45 am 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

Given that Hanley & Boers were both there at the beginning in 1992, I'm not so sure who's imitating who. Way back when I thought they were both riffing on Dan Patrick & Keith Olberman. Mac, too, occasionally.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:49 am 

hawkeyecheesehead wrote:
Given that Hanley & Boers were both there at the beginning in 1992, I'm not so sure who's imitating who. Way back when I thought they were both riffing on Dan Patrick & Keith Olberman. Mac, too, occasionally.

I remember and know they split time with Mac. Not sure why they quit doing that, but obviously Boers became the full time partner, and Hanley was off the air for years. The Boers influence on Hanley is pretty evident to me.

The McNeil/Hanley show had a parody of the Addams Family song. Terrible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next