It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thursday Night Football
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:32 pm 

Looking at the schedule they are going to have Thursday Night Football for most of the season. Do you enjoy it as much as Sunday night or Monday night?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Thursday Night Football is nothing more than a cash-grab from Roger Goodell to try and monopolize our attention span for an entire week throughout the football season. Most TNF games are mediocre at best as teams usually only have two days of practice prior to their next game, as was evidenced by the piss-poor Bears/Packers contest this past week.

But Goodell is no dummy. Even though the game was boring and sloppy, the NFL Network still pulled a 6.3 Thursday evening... the highest rating in the network's history. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar numbers this week.

SB Nation's Andrew Sharp said it best:

Quote:
We're all so addicted to football that even crappy Thursday Night Football games just help the NFL economy churn along -- there will always be fantasy football chats to tell you which players to start Thursday Night, the pre-game storylines lead SportsCenter every Thursday afternoon, and on Friday everyone still writes their columns and those columns lead every website and sports page in America.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm 

Something I noticed looking at the schedule this year is that on Thanksgiving NBC will have the night game and not NFL Network.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
It's fine with me.

The month of November looks to be pretty doggish, except for Saints @ Falcons on 11/29.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
There's no hockey, the Cubs suck, the Bulls will suck, etc, etc. Heck ya, I am happy there is Thursday Night Football.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Mini Ditka wrote:
Something I noticed looking at the schedule this year is that on Thanksgiving NBC will have the night game and not NFL Network.

You are correct. Under terms of their new deal with the NFL, NBC will have the third Thanksgiving game, which this year is a matchup between the Patriots & Jets at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. It'll cap off a Turkey Day slate that starts with Texans/Lions in Detroit on CBS & Redskins/Cowboys in Arlington, TX on FOX, just so you know.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I like noon games on Sunday and that's about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Most Bear fans would probably agree with you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:46 pm 

I could live without the goofy guy who's doing the promos for NFL Network's "Thursday Night Football", which this week is Giants/Panthers in Charlotte.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:09 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I could live without the goofy guy who's doing the promos for NFL Network's "Thursday Night Football", which this week is Giants/Panthers in Charlotte.

Speaking of "Thursday Night Football," did anyone catch Cee Lo Green doing an awful cover of the Ramones classic "Blitzkreig Bop"?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Speaking of "Thursday Night Football," did anyone catch Cee Lo Green doing an awful cover of the Ramones classic "Blitzkreig Bop"?

I heard Mac & Spiegs talking about that. Awful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 pm 

http://fanchise.nfl.com/Fight-Song

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Hadn't heard it. That's catchy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Spaulding wrote:

I agree. Unfortunately, I now work on Sundays, and can only catch ~45 mins. of the games.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Magliozzi's
I'd rather watch whatever MAC game is on that night.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Mini Ditka wrote:

No, bad bad bad....destroying a Ramones song and I now hate Ceelo Green. :x :x :x

This is about the worst open ever...............STOP, just please STOP and go back to the simple opens like Monday Night Football when they started or the NFL on CBS music from Brent Musberger/Howard Cross/Jimmy the Greek era!!!!

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 pm 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

No, bad bad bad....destroying a Ramones song and I now hate Ceelo Green. :x :x :x

This is about the worst open ever...............STOP, just please STOP and go back to the simple opens like Monday Night Football when they started or the NFL on CBS music from Brent Musberger/Howard Cross/Jimmy the Greek era!!!!

I think you meant Irv Cross, not Howard Cross. Howard's part of the WFAN/Giants' Radio Network team with Bob "In Space" Papa.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
SHARK wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

I think you meant Irv Cross, not Howard Cross. Howard's part of the WFAN/Giants' Radio Network team with Bob "In Space" Papa.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good catch, SHARK. Something seemed wrong when I typed that....thanks for the correction. 8)

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
When I hear an English accent say football, I'm thinking of a round ball. Why did they pick an English band to do it off of? Here I'm randomly picking a song to do this to -- how about Interstate Love Song....

Been waitin', since Thursday afternoon,
For a game to watch tonight,
So fine,
Feelin' like I need to watch a game,
So the NFL is in my eye,
It's night,
Watching on the NFL,
Network Thursday Night, a ride,
Between two teams, that do seem to be,
Only out for spite; they'll vie,
All these things, yeah I sing to you

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:12 am 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Eaglo Jeff wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good catch, SHARK. Something seemed wrong when I typed that....thanks for the correction. 8)

I'm old enough to remember when Irv, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, Phyllis George, Jayne Kennedy & host Brent Musburger always told us "You are looking live..." at the beginning of every "NFL Today" when CBS Sports had the NFC contract back in the day. Good times!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I think I might be in the minority here but I would take NFL football every single damn night. I love the Thursday games, I love the Saturday night games they play in December, I love Monday night games even when they take 4 plus hours to be played. For me there's nothing like sitting down and watching Redzone on a Sunday afternoon if the Bears aren't playing and just be enthralled with Redzone for the whole day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 am 

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
I think I might be in the minority here but I would take NFL football every single damn night. I love the Thursday games, I love the Saturday night games they play in December, I love Monday night games even when they take 4 plus hours to be played. For me there's nothing like sitting down and watching Redzone on a Sunday afternoon if the Bears aren't playing and just be enthralled with Redzone for the whole day.

The NFL is King in this country, Chris. The day might be coming where you might have an NFL game every single night of the week. As long as NFL Network, ESPN, NBC Sports, FOX Sports & CBS Sports continue to spend billions of dollars on it, Joe Fan will watch. You're not alone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
If it was up to me they'd play an NFL game every night...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Agree with everything you said.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East.
SHARK wrote:
I'm old enough to remember when Irv, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, Phyllis George, Jayne Kennedy & host Brent Musburger always told us "You are looking live..." at the beginning of every "NFL Today" when CBS Sports had the NFC contract back in the day. Good times!

SHARK, you refer to your age in the context of being "old enough to rememeber . . ." repeatedly.

I Googled it and there are nearly a hundred hits - http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... 80&bih=631

Having read this so many times it kind of begs the question: How old are you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:30 pm 

NSJ wrote:
SHARK wrote:

SHARK, you refer to your age in the context of being "old enough to rememeber . . ." repeatedly.

I Googled it and there are nearly a hundred hits - http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... 80&bih=631

Having read this so many times it kind of begs the question: How old are you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I am one for the Sunday-Monday games, and I just wonder if the Giants were playing Sunday, how many of there players would they have, since Nicks, Bradshaw and a couple others are out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:23 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
reents wrote:
I am one for the Sunday-Monday games, and I just wonder if the Giants were playing Sunday, how many of there players would they have, since Nicks, Bradshaw and a couple others are out.

Exactly.

Thursday Night Football should be reserved for those teams coming off of a bye week.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:25 am 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
reents wrote:

Exactly.

Thursday Night Football should be reserved for those teams coming off of a bye week.

Well, the Giants & Panthers will each have 10 days off before they play again next weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
There is little worse on this planet than Thursday Night Football. The only time the NFL should be playing on Thursday is on Thanksgiving.