It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:22 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
so yeah steven berger is on! no more back to back replays of the same travis rodgers show from thursday!!!!

his voice is kind of high pitched.... he sounds more polished than i do in terms of being a "radio pro" but let's see if the dude has a soul/thoughts/etc. obviously as a failure to even make the finals in the competition my juxtapositional urges are blowing up.... yeah.

WELCOME FIRST STEVEN BERGER LISTENING THREAD!!!! pretty soon SHARK will take over the thread duties of prepping us for the big show, but i'd assume...

Steven talks about the Bears a bunch, and goes out of his way to ask callers what they think about certain things

stay tuned...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:35 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Berger is BRUTAL. He has a terrible voice & zero personality. The wrong guy won Score search. The big guy ( I forgot his name) should have won.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:44 am 

Keeping Score wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
Berger is BRUTAL. He has a terrible voice & zero personality. The wrong guy won Score search. The big guy ( I forgot his name) should have won.

Damn SH. He's been on for what sini - like an hour? :lol:

In retrospect, the big dude is kind of scary. Looks like the guy who's about to end Eaglo's life.

It took me about 3 minutes to form my opinion. This guy sucks & he will go the way of Gavin rather than Mcnight.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 am 
1000 CLUB

Connor needs to be paired with Randazzo. Pairing him with Ostrowski isn't doing any good. They sound the same, agree with each other 99% of the time, and just don't make good radio.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:13 am 

Keeping Score wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
so yeah steven berger is on! no more back to back replays of the same travis rodgers show from thursday!!!!

his voice is kind of high pitched.... he sounds more polished than i do in terms of being a "radio pro" but let's see if the dude has a soul/thoughts/etc. obviously as a failure to even make the finals in the competition my juxtapositional urges are blowing up.... yeah.

WELCOME FIRST STEVEN BERGER LISTENING THREAD!!!! pretty soon SHARK will take over the thread duties of prepping us for the big show, but i'd assume...

Steven talks about the Bears a bunch, and goes out of his way to ask callers what they think about certain things

stay tuned...

What a fuckin shift. :lol: After all this time......... I feel bad for the guy.

Go get 'em Burger!!

If you think this shift is bad wait until you spend the waning minutes of 2012 with the Fur Berger.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Didn't get a chance to listen to Steven's first show, but for those wondering, Steven Berger's new show will be on 1-3A again Sunday morning on 670 The SCORE & 670thescore.com. Not sure if SCORE management will put his new show on a little earlier so that other Scoreheads can listen at a reasonable hour.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:12 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Didn't get a chance to listen to Steven's first show, but for those wondering, Steven Berger's new show will be on 1-3A again Sunday morning on 670 The SCORE & 670thescore.com. Not sure if SCORE management will put his new show on a little earlier so that other Scoreheads can listen at a reasonable hour.

Winning that contest is more a punishment than a victory. Dude has like 5 listeners in that slot. Why can't he at least go 'til 5??

Steven Berger's not Les Grobstein, let alone David Schuster, who guest hosts "SCORE Overnight" following Broncos/Falcons on "Monday Night Football" tonight.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
SHARK wrote:

Winning that contest is more a punishment than a victory. Dude has like 5 listeners in that slot. Why can't he at least go 'til 5??

Steven Berger's not Les Grobstein, let alone David Schuster, who guest hosts "SCORE Overnight" following Broncos/Falcons on "Monday Night Football" tonight.

How do you know? You said you didn't listen to him.

Unless it was a rhetorical question, you asked yourself if he at least can't go until 5A...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:25 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
He might be better than both of them. Give him a chance SHARK!! Why are you only giving him 2 hours????????

That's not me. SCORE Management only gave Steven Berger 2 hours to work with once a week.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:44 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
SHARK,

What is on SCORE programming from 3a-5a Sunday mornings that's so darn important that we can't get an extended taste of the Berger?

For now anyway, it's Yahoo! Sports Radio. That'll change pretty soon once CBS Sports Radio starts its sports talk programming in January.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:52 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
Maybe they could team him up with Hampton and then call the show HamBerger. Whaddya think SHARK?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
That the show airs from 1 to 3 between Saturday and Sunday is precisely why sinicalypse should have won. That timeslot is more Grobber than Grobber.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Is this what replaced Score Values?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 pm 

THEY REPLACED SCORE VALUES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:45 am 

Is anyone else listening to this disaster? How in the hell did this goof win the Score contest? This is worse than any College radio broadcast. Berger is worse than Maya Gavin. Just brutal.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:41 am 

pizza_Place: pizzaplace
Hamburger has made so many mistakes I can't even count them no more. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:51 am 

Scorehead wrote:
Is anyone else listening to this disaster? How in the hell did this goof win the Score contest? This is worse than any College radio broadcast. Berger is worse than Maya Gavin. Just brutal.

I went to sleep at a decent hour for once. Wha happen now?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Heard a little this morning. Pretty bad. Not Maya Gavin brutal, but still bad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:10 pm 

I plan to listen to this show tonight and liveblog it for you, the CSFMB. I wonder how bad it can be. It can't be THAT bad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:03 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
I am on board with the high pitched Steven Burger Show tonight.

Let's see how this goes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:17 am 

Hyped myself up by reading the old Score Search threads from July. Good stuff! We were mad.

1:00:

1:02: too stuttery.

1:04 - "as Hawk would say, this game is overrr." He wouldn't say that.

Lot of boilerplate White Sox talk already. I'm not sure how much more Sox talk I can take. Fucking it's 1 in the morning on a Satursun, I can't do this same "here are some stats about the Sox" talk that I already hear on weekday afternoons. Go crazy!

"It was fun while it lasted." I thought you were a Cubs fan. What about this was fun to you?

Oh fuck me, Ryder Cup talk. I might ptfb and give up on the liveblog thing. I the opposite of give a fuck about the Ryder Cup.

AND COLLEGE FOOTBALL OH GOD

"Are you calling the Sox season over?" yes.

Let's go to Alex in Beach Park. Unfortunately, "Alex in Beach Park" is one of the Clay People. "hrrrmrrmrmrmr the sox rrmrmr hrrmmrrmrrmrr?"

J'accuse, Steven Berger! "mrrrmrrhhrrmhrrhrr one of the guys rrrmrrmrrmrmrr?" "well, actually I'm also a Cubs fan."

Jim in Kenosha has a better phone, and stories about the White Sox playing home-away-from-homes in Milwaukee. Not sure where he's going with this. See, were this two days ago, this is where Grobber would cut the guy off to rattle off the dates of all the Sox games in Milwaukee, their outcomes, and their attendance figures. Uh oh. The premise is appearing...

OH GOD FUCK ME WE'RE EVEN DOING WHITE SOX LOW ATTENDANCE TALK AT 1:15 IN THE MORNING ON YAHOO SPORTS RADIO ISLAND THERE IS NO END THERE WILL NEVER BE AN END

Dynamic solution to Sox attendance woes: lower the ticket prices so that people can go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34X4faVQ63Y

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:21 am 

"This is live sports talk radio in Chicago, Illinois." It sure is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:31 am 

1:23 - on the Ryder Cup.

"If you enjoy the Olympics because of patriotism--"

"--THEN YOU'RE A TRIBALIST IDIOT."

Oh, wait, no, despite the fact that we can't stfu about attendance at Sox games, this isn't Boers and Bernstein!

"Ryan and Jared were going crazy in my apartment. You don't know them." THEN DON'T DROP THEIR NAMES LIKE WE SHOULD. DERP. "They're my roommates." Oh okay.

1:27 - "I've thrown in the towel on the Sox." If you're a Cubs fan like you say, Sox fans don't need your towel. It's sad when everyone on this station has to claim that they're an "observer" of the White Sox and with a heavy heart "throwing in the towel on them," while there's no directive to have feelings on the Cubs or Hawks. I'd like to hear someone be like "Sox got dongwhipped. Haha, sucks for you! Go cry in your gr-ahh-dge! 312.644.6767..."

"Kyle Farnsworth is so bad!" He was terrible with the Cubs, I mean, no one filled me with dread like Farnsworth, but he's been passable elsewhere, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:32 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Curious Hair wrote:
"This is live sports talk radio in Chicago, Illinois." It sure is.

I'd rather be listening to the ramblings of siniclypse.

For the record, two caller and two texters in 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:44 am 

That's not bad, actually. And at this hour, you've gotta give the callers a long rope.

Sinicalypse would be ideal for this, yes.

This doesn't feel very prepared or polished, but it's not unprepared or unpolished in the sense of a freewheeling overnight show that can just run indefinitely on weird callers and stream-of-consciousness, it's just...I dunno, like he said, live sports talk in Chicago. A thing happened. I have a thought, albeit inchoate and rudimentary, about that thing. Do you? Phone number.

I'll say this, it's damn hard to talk to yourself with the knowledge that you have no margin for error, no umms and ahhs, no stuttering. You can psych yourself out right out of the gate if you're unlucky. That said, there were two months of lead time between winning the contest and coming on the air; what kind of training did the station give him during that time? Any? It doesn't really seem that way. If I had two months to prepare for doing a show, I'd be out in the woodshed as much as I could and hustling for help. I hope he was, too, but what if he was and this is his ceiling? Then, WSCR, what's the fucking point?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:59 am 

And it ends with postulating that Kyle Orton could be just as good as Tony Romo (wtf?!?), and a well-worn B&B bumper for an outro. Hmph.

I don't think I'm going to listen next week!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:52 am 

These contest winners never seem to understand there are only two ways for promotion 1) be as bland as Connor Mc Night that you become the perfect update candidate; or 2) distinguish yourself in some way beyond simply sports radio with your airtime. You are not getting anything beyond the Maya Gavin treatment if you just do a straight sportstalk show.

You get one shot at this and it will probably not lead to anything else. Go crazy with it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:39 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
That the show airs from 1 to 3 between Saturday and Sunday is precisely why sinicalypse should have won. That timeslot is more Grobber than Grobber.

see i don't think i was the guy that they wanted for this shift.... for some reason the word/phrase milquetoast pops into my head when i hear the dude, and hearing the last ten minutes of show #2 before TUESDAY'S travis rodgers show, like, i honestly felt bad for the dude.... he was trying his ass off and i hope to god he gets better, but it was pretty much amateur hour.

one thing i was thinking of during those last 10 minutes was like, it really felt like someone trying to do a radio show.... and hey let's be fair this guy was kind of plucked out of nowhere and plopped into this.... but it didn't have any sort of polish or perma-laughter (even if you're laughing at your own joke/schtick) --- honestly, they would have been better served to take the top two guys and put them together and hope to get something out of the conversation.... but then again for a dead shift you'd be paying two people, so that wouldn't happen.

see like, what's unfortunate is like, right when he's done after the obvious programming error, you get travis rodgers who is like, damn good at radio..... i look forward to hearing his shit when i pass out late on saturdays now.... this tuesday's show he was going on about the MNF screwjob and kept going on about JerMichael finley and how michael's his name and the "jer" is superfluous, ergo, he's "Superfluous Jer" --- i got a nickname out of the ~30-45 minutes i heard b4 i passed out... that's quality stuff.

but hey, if i'm up and i'm around i'll try to call in cuz with these shows, even les, you can tell when the show's lacking in callers and les enters that mode where he's ready to jump off of a reference you make and regale you with stories about the subject/s you're talking about... that shit's cool. i mean, i used to bullshit with the guy when i was the comptuer guy at a library he came to, and i had no idea from talking to him for up to 30mins outside whilst smoking on break a few times that, example, he called expos games in 2004. that's a fucking thing right there.

and you know like, see, if i can be a bit biased and say that despite my board-persona eccentricities, which flared up pretty horrorshow earlier in the year.... i mean really for the overnight shift you have to be able to bullshit. most importantly NOT just with other people and your producer (IMHO, steven needs his producer to almost be a kind of co-host and he needs to cross the rubicon to not be afraid of veering off of sports for a bit, but in fairness i really didn't listen much to show #2) but WITH YOURSELF.

if you can't bullshit with yourself on a dead overnight shift, then like, your bullshit is bullshit and you're bullshit and not bullshitting..... you know?

ahem. anyways, i can bullshit.... see like, if i got this gig sure i'd have to watch games more and stuff.... but i'm sure i would have mentioned that i started calling this white sox season "the bataan death march" way back in june or july or something.... and that's when i'd go to have the producer/sidekick pull up the wikipedia page on the bataan death march and you'd get the following:

Wikipedia wrote:
The Bataan Death March Tagalog: Martsa ng Kamatayan (Japanese:Batān Shi no Kōshin (バターン死の行進?)) (1942) was the forcible transfer, by the Imperial Japanese Army, of 60,000 Filipino and 15,000 American prisoners of war after the three-month Battle of Bataan in the Philippines during World War II. All told, approximately 2,500–10,000 Filipino and 300–650 American prisoners of war died before they could reach Camp O'Donnell.[4] Death tolls vary, especially amongst Filipino POWs, because historians cannot determine how many prisoners blended in with the civilian population and escaped.

The 128 km (80 mi) march was characterized by wide-ranging physical abuse and murder, and resulted in very high fatalities inflicted upon prisoners and civilians alike by the Japanese Army, and was later judged by an Allied military commission to be a Japanese war crime.

NOW TELL ME THAT THAT DOESN'T FUCKING SOUND LIKE SECOND HALF OF THE WHITE SOX SEASON. I DARE YOU.

see i could go on and on about how like, i knew this was inevitable..... i could even quote the bernstein thing that the tigers have "miguel DAMN cabrera" and justin verlander, possible tangent on the definitions of what makes one worthy of earning the middle name of "DAMN" and like, you know, just keep going and going.

surely this would lead me to talking about white sox baseball and the essence of white sox baseball, likely mentioning it's something equivalent to being at shea in 2008 and smoking with a mets fan who said "so what do you think of the place?" and i'm all "well it's rustic... it's definitely a homely park and you know, it defintely doesn't feel like 100% shopping mall" and the guy rips a slug off of his beer and goes "it's a fucking dump...... BUT IT'S OUR FUCKING DUMP. AND DON'T YOU FUCKING FORGET THAT" and we tapped beers to that, incidentally, empty commemerative aluminum budweiser beer bottles from shea were being re-sold on e-bay for up to like $5-6.... that's so fucking awesome. that's mets baseball.... and much like the mets, the white sox are like that... you know, like, i've been to more games at wrigley and i've had my adventures there, but it wasn't like back circa 07-08 at comiskey when i was doing a bunch of angels/etc games in cheap LF seats and during a cigarette between the concourse and the ramps i started bullshitting with a concessions worker who finished his joint with me, and he told me that season to seek him out cuz he was the dude to buy beer from.... sure enough, when i went to him later i bought a MGD with a $10 and he'd give me change like i dropped a $20 on it, so i'd tip him the balance of the change that left me with $10, and then i started rolling with free beers. i didn't abuse that as much as you'd think, but hye, whenever i went to the ballpark i could get like 3-4 free beers?? fucking shit i'm coming to the ballpark and i mean, what the hell... i'm here let's see some damn baseball.

see like, just my proclivity to sit here and ramble on and on about that shit, that could come in handy at 2:43am after i've given you my tactical analysis of the happenings in chicago sports and the callbanks are dead, you know.... i could do that.

then, of course, you toss out there that i don't smoke weed anymore nor do i endorse that as a lifestyle that i believe is necessary to a beneficial life. and honestly guys, i don't smoke anymore i mean shit.... i don't really need to. i consider myself emeritus-stoned from my aged 16-23 years anyways, and quite honestly if i went that route i'd get some shit and i'd get so blasted it'd be like rebooting my cerebral computer and i'd start redefining reality, and suffice to say, it's 2:46am on WSCR 670 AM the score in chicago and we're not rebooting reality, WE ARE, HOWEVER, REBOOTING THE NORTHWESTERN TEXT SCREEN AND LET'S SEE WHAT'S ON HERE

see, also, i've been on irc for like ~15+ years.... when i was the suburban library comptuer guy even when we had tandy dummy terminals i used to drop out of the pub-axs catalogue app and telnet out to my old unix shell and pop on irc.... and for the last 3 years i've sporadically hung out in the efnet sports channels, so like, i could get prospective internet trolls from new york boston california and all over texting in and maybe even calling up JUST TO FUCK WITH ME. there's some pretty good sports people on there cuz i've gotten to be down with some of the ops and they're usually your hardcore people and etc..... shit if i ever got marc_d to call in that'd be a thing. you can prolly google search marc_d and learn about the legend from woosta. that's right man, when you pop in a channel like emessiah (emessiah@smoke.dope.org has entered #whatever) eventually people remember the name.

and again, kids, that's emessiah@smoke.dope.org --- i don't smoke weed. i'm emeritus. honestly. i'll pee in a cup and get the pictures up on the audio roadshow app. it's 2:52 on the score and well, we need to name this show so the best contribution to come up with a name for this show in the next eight minutes names the show..... LIGHT EM UP.

and etc etc..... see at this juncture in time and space i'm in a good confident place and like, holy shit, i was just bullshitting with my brother on the phone and i was pitching sitcom ideas to him (no, i'm not giving to them you au gratis here. i like my idea.... the juxtaposition of the sitcom form against my, well, situation.... dude. it works. i could see it on adult swim and if i had a decent budget / creative team, i'd have fun with it if i could figure out the sitcom tropes well enough) and we were reading the description for colbert's new book and like, hey, if you wanna talk about descriptions.... read that.

and yeah, i could delve off into... ^^^^^ whenever... and like, for a throwaway saturday night 1-3am show i think that's vital.... cuz i could try the str8up stats and analysis quotes, but then again, i could also toss you this quote, which is about to become my new signature, and probably could be the slogan after the show title:

Vin Scully wrote:
Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination.

and blam. idk if my producer would want to say anything, but if he did, call it a hunch we could talk about something that could continue on down at the continental after the show. hell, if i ever got popular or anything, don't toss it out there directly, but hey like, you know, the cool fans of the show come on down to the continental after the show cuz holy shit 3:30am = continental time.

so yeah.... like.... idk. i hope dude gets better if i'm up i'll be a good lil listener/texter/caller something to help in the name of sheer populism.... but again, it all comes back to the word milquetoast and i think that's what der schnorr wanted from this contest, joe chicago, as opposed to the goofy guy in an expos jersey who showed up an hour late and talked more about his uncle and family going to cubs games as opposed to the cubs themselves..... i reckon they just looked at me and said too risky, but hey, risk/reward and well SHOMER SHABBOS everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 am 

oh yeah, i had also worked out my show intro / theme aside from the special one offs where i'd have the producer dig up "shake that" from the depths of the system:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qElJUllRv5c

of course, you go over the name of the show with a simple edit of the [whatever my show's called / my-name show] repeated a few times.... cuz like, idk about you, but these 48 seconds of adrenaline get the point across that the dynamic is changing and we're gonna have some damn #realtalk about sports.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:40 pm 

Didn't WSCR Program Director Mitch Rosen, & Bernsie actually choose this guy? If so, then Mitch & Bernsie are worse at identifying radio talent than Jerry Angelo was at identifying football talent.
Berger is really bad...& yes, he is worse than Gavin.
The Score needs to find a loose cannon blue collar type of a guy...like Jurko or Doug.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next