It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:42 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
RFDC wrote:
:lol: ok doc, there are no destination jobs whatsoever. Illinois is on the same level as everyone else. :roll: :lol:

You are starting to sound like a MAC football guy now, just so you know...

See, now you're just being silly.

At no point did I say everybody was equal. I was just questioning the idea that there was some laundry list of destination schools.

I don't think there are. There are always going to be better situations but those situations aren't always going to be the same schools.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
spanky wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
I thought this conversation was about football. :oops:

Just be thankful Arkansas is a basketball school.

yeah, women's.

Is that program better than their women's football program?

I am pretty sure, their womens football team got beat 58-10 by Texas A&M this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 am 

yes Doc, I am the silly one in this thread.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
I never said OSU was a destination job. But it is way closer to that than Illinois.

And if you do not think Duke is a destination job then you are crazy.

Ohio State isn't a better program historically than Illinois.

I never said it was. I said right now the OSU job is way better than the Illinois job.

What you're failing to recognize is that Chicago makes Illinois a sleeping giant. You get a guy in there who can recruit the city, you're going to have some good teams. That's a huge advantage that Ohio State doesn't have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
What you're failing to recognize is that Chicago makes Illinois a sleeping giant. You get a guy in there who can recruit the city, you're going to have some good teams. That's a huge advantage that Ohio State doesn't have.

Ehh...not so sure about that.

OSU is the biggest city in Ohio and can draw from two other large urban areas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:50 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This is always the fall back line. Chicago recruiting.

Let me know when that happens. Until then OSU is a way better job.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am 
Site Admin

spanky wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Ehh...not so sure about that.

OSU is the biggest city in Ohio and can draw from two other large urban areas.

That works for them in football where Ohio has a strong schoolboy tradition. But I think having Chicago in your backyard is a huge plus for a basketball program. DePaul built a brand that way a few times. The last time the goof couldn't coach them. If you look at the guys on that team and what they did at Depaul, it's really kind of funny.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
RFDC wrote:
yes Doc, I am the silly one in this thread.

You keep trying to get me to argue for something that I'm not arguing. I don't think the Illinois job is a good one right now. Neither do you. We agree. I don't think anybody would take the job over Duke, UNC, Kansas, or a number of other schools right now. OSU is a better job right now. I agree.

But you said OSU is "closer to being a destination school" and that just doesn't make sense to me. You either are or you aren't. I think you agree with me. Being "closer" just means you are a better program right now.

Put it this way. Let's say Coach K is busted for giving Porsches to everybody on the team and their mothers. They go on NCAA suspension for 3 years. The program is decimated and they go 5-24 in the 3rd year. In that time, Groce goes to back-to-back Final Fours and has 4 returning starters coming back. Duke comes to Groce and wants him to make the move. Do you think he would? I don't think he would.

But, that doesn't mean that I think Illinois is a destination job.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:56 am 

Put it this way. Let's say Coach K is busted for giving Porsches to everybody on the team and their mothers. They go on NCAA suspension for 3 years. The program is decimated and they go 5-24 in the 3rd year. In that time, Groce goes to back-to-back Final Fours and has 4 returning starters coming back. Duke comes to Groce and wants him to make the move. Do you think he would? I don't think he would.

The hell? Did you......what......hu...

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:57 am 

Yes he would, because it is Duke.

Certain schools get to that level and even if they go through problems remain at that level in the eyes of potential coaches.

Why do you think Crean went to IU with the huge mess it was in just a few years back? By your reasoning Crean should have stayed at Marquette.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 am 

RFDC wrote:

Certain schools get to that level and even if they go through problems remain at that level in the eyes of potential coaches.

Why do you think Crean went to IU with the huge mess it was in just a few years back? By your reasoning Crean should have stayed at Marquette.

It's a good point.

I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:59 am 

RFDC wrote:

Agreed RFDC :shock: :x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Admin

spanky wrote:

You're still mad about Kenny Battle, aren't you? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spanky wrote:

What a sell out he was.....

Just look at all of the extreme hypotheticals in Dr. Ken's post....... :lol: He forget to mention an alien spacecraft landing on Cameron Indoor.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 am 
Site Admin

spanky wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spanky wrote:

What a sell out he was.....

Just look at all of the extreme hypotheticals in Dr. Ken's post....... :lol: He forget to mention an alien spacecraft landing on Cameron Indoor.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am 

RFDC wrote:

They paid him a shit load of money?

Has anyone ever taken a pay cut to go to a destination job?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:10 am 

It was an extreme hypothetical to prove a point, spanky. It wasn't a prediction.

Groce will win back-to-back NCAA Championships. That's a prediction.

Fuck that Final Four-loser shit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
I love the good doc, but there is a small list of basketball schools that are destination jobs. Here's mine:

Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, N. Carolina, Duke, IU, NIU

This being a football thread, I have no idea what's a destination job outside of the top SEC schools and NIU. Texas? Oklahoma? USC?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Old Man River wrote:
I love the good doc, but there is a small list of basketball schools that are destination jobs. Here's mine:

This being a football thread, I have no idea what's a destination job outside of the top SEC schools and NIU. Texas? Oklahoma? USC?

I remember back when they were building a dynasty in Dekalb with the likes of Allen Rayhorn and Beaver White.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:10 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I remember back when they were building a dynasty in Dekalb with the likes of Allen Rayhorn and Beaver White.

Terry Boers wrote:
By cracky!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:50 am 

Old Man River wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:06 pm 

spanky wrote:
Old Man River wrote:

Tom Izzo was just keeping the seat warm for Mark Montgomery, but NIU snuffed it out and made the hire of the decade...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:42 pm 

It's a shame that Wisky remembered that Montee Ball was on their team.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
The best college football team in Illinois won again this week.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:10 pm 

It's a shame that Wisky remembered that Montee Ball was on their team.

At least Illinois A) held a lead and B) had it's QB throw TD pass this week. Baby steps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Maybe he could be the first coach launched for tobacco use on the sidelines? Might be a stretch, but something to build on...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
I don't see what the big deal is. Not like he pulled a meth pipe out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I wonder how Tubby Smith handles this rule? He always used to have a dip cup under his chair and would surreptitiously spit a bit in during the games. I used to see him coach when he coached Tulsa. The local feed clearly had shots of him pinching some Cope and placing between cheek and gum. One hand he had the dip cup, the other was pointing and calling plays on the sidelines. Pretty funny as he looked like a country hick in a suit. Then his team would come out and whip some ass. They were real good at the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

No worse than this:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
NCAA got no problem with tobacco use... they just want their cut. Marlboro Bowl anyone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next