It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I 101.1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
facebook reactions to their format change are all apoplectic except for this one:

Quote:
Aaron Tyler
Look around the rest of the country, guys. 90s stations have been failing and changing formats left and right over the last year or so (case in point, how many of the Clear Channel "Gen-X" branded stations still exist... one, out of about a dozen that they launched 2-3 years ago). It is nearly impossible to maintain success over a longterm period with a niche format that is so heavy on one decade of music that, quite frankly, had too many different identities (what did "pop" music sound like, moving from 1990 to 1992 to 1995 to 1997 to 1999? Each point in that question had a different core sound that made up the term "pop music".) Bravo to i101 for protecting the longterm viability of their brand and integrating currents.
25 minutes ago · Like

I think Aaron Tyler must work at Merlin Media.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Curious Hair wrote:
I think Aaron Tyler must work at Merlin Media.

A quick look at his FB profile, his address is "radioaaron1".

He either works there, or is a mic sniffer of Larz proportions.

Lookng at him, I would guess he lives in his mom's basement, and is the 28 (just a guess) year old head of the "Katy Perry Fan Club"

Probably a big Taylor Swift fan, too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:50 am 

Yeah, that guy went on to do some serious Droppin' Knowledge on innocent Schaumburgians. "You have to understand the Arbitrons."

EDIT: Did Boyd just go Boyd on the facebook comments?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
EDIT: Did Boyd just go Boyd on the facebook comments?

Yep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
There's not going to be any of that anymore. It's all top 40 now.

I heard Waterfalls by TLC yesterday.

So the Rock and Rap is gone?

Is this official?

Im confused

EDIT: Nevermind, its official

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:08 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, that guy went on to do some serious Droppin' Knowledge on innocent Schaumburgians. "You have to understand the Arbitrons."

He was prattling on like Bad FM Top 40 Radio SHARK.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

He was prattling on like Bad FM Top 40 Radio SHARK.

You rang?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:44 pm 

SHARK wrote:
You rang?

No

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
sjboyd0137 wrote:
SHARK wrote:
You rang?

No

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:24 pm 

Noted Randy Michaels buttmonkey Larz just went HAM on his guy.

Quote:
I just love how the Randy Michaels lap dogs

HEY BUDDY

Quote:
jump to the defense of their master, using logic almost as insane as Randy's own brain.

Are you saying that the Hot AC format, which is being done in every single market in America on at least one station, often more, and is being done on numerous stations in Chicagoland alone, was too hard to create in one week? Even though there are dozens of services out there that could have supplied the music and/or playlists in a matter of minutes? And yet, an all-90's station, which is being done almost nowhere (relatively speaking) and would have to be created almost by scratch, was quick & easy to do?

Randy sent out press releases bragging about his 90s station, set up a website and social media pages bragging about the 90s format, and now you are saying it was all a joke? Oh... there's a few jokes here, alright. The joke's on you for following an insane leader. The joke's on the investors who gave Randy $8 billion dollars, most of which he has blown in just over one year. The big joke is Merlin Media's CEO himself. The problems with these jokes is that they are like a Dane Cook routine: they just aren't funny.

Admit it. This is typical of Randy Michaels. He screws around with his radio stations constantly. FM News 101.1 & NY's FM News 101.9 went through about 8 different versions in its less than one year of life. WGN-AM under his "tinkering" went through 3 versions (Talk, Controversial Talk, News Talk) and was getting ready for more experimenting before he and his henchmen were tossed out.

You are semi-correct about one thing. WIQI is indeed a place holder. It's just waiting for the upcoming Interim CEO to sell the stations to Cumulus early next year, at which point Cumulus will choose a long-term format for 101.1.

Now be a good doggie and jump back up on Randy's lap. Maybe he will offer to slip you a dog treat between your breasts.

Should've hired him!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
sinicalypse wrote:
If they play that offspring song where they croon ohhhh laaadyyy before wondering why she sleeps with my friend then and only then will it feel like 90s q101

Who's with me to start up a kickstarter/indiegogo to bring back Zoltar the brother from another planet for the alternative beat on saturday latenights?

Dexter Holland's voice makes me want to throw at brick at his face.

I was a fan of Zoltar's Industrial Zone, which was eventually watered down into Radio Mutation. It's probably one of those things I would give credit to for really diversifying my taste in music, making me want to learn how to play music, and for helping me learn to avoid ear poison. I'm sad for all of the people who never learned to expand their taste in music, I really think less of them as people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am 

I'm bumping this thread to note that when they play "Shoop" by Salt-n-Pepa, they censor the word "retard," so Salt or Pepa responding with a retarded "mmmwwwyeaahhhuuh!" sound is completely without context and this is hilarious.

The playlist has actually gotten better since they went to weekends only for the '90s. They still play 'Far Behind" by Candlebox too much, but someone must've given them some old B96 airchecks or something, because I've heard some R&B/dance stuff I forgot even existed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:42 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
They still play 'Far Behind" by Candlebox too much

RPB must be hitting the request line pretty hard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:39 pm 

I heard it again today!

Also, they've begun voice-tracking the station recently so as to create the illusion of human beings being involved with this, but they have a rotation of someone named "Jane" (I'm guessing that's Jane Monzures?) and two other male voices, who appear randomly at all hours of the day. Somehow the idea of various people dropping in at any time with no set schedule ends up being more disconcerting than just having no DJs at all. Randy Michaels is dumb.

So now it's all-'90s on the weekends plus three 101-minute blocks of all-'90s on the weekdays in drivetimes and noon, then '90s/2000s/contemporary the rest of the time. I don't understand why they don't just re-commit to the format 100% at this point. Randy Michaels is dumb.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 pm 

When I'm wandering the dial in the car every so often I'll stop on 101.1, but I mostly just keep going. I don't consider 90s music to be worthy of Oldies treatment. I would rather listen to 94.7 than 101.1, but like I said every once in awhile I find a song.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:07 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
When I'm wandering the dial in the car every so often I'll stop on 101.1, but I mostly just keep going. I don't consider 90s music to be worthy of Oldies treatment. I would rather listen to 94.7 than 101.1, but like I said every once in awhile I find a song.

The thing that makes programming a '90s station an interesting challenge is that radio music exploded in that time, so you have to make sure there's something for everybody. My recommendation would be to go random in drive times and then make blocks of dance, rap/R&B, alternative, indie, etc to flesh out the day, but I made that recommendation to them early on and the next week they flipped to all Katy Perry/Carly Rae Jepsen, so apparently it was the worst idea ever.

Also, what you consider to be worthy of "oldies treatment" is irrelevant. For people born in the late '70s through mid-'80s, these are our oldies.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I hear No Doubt-Spiderwebs at least once a day on this station.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:21 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Also, what you consider to be worthy of "oldies treatment" is irrelevant. For people born in the late '70s through mid-'80s, these are our oldies.

I don't know that I've ever heard someone refer to Nirvana as "oldies." I find it kind of ironic that Q101 would go off the air and then after the news station failure the station would go back to a music format, which was basically what Q101 and B96 played 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:58 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I hear No Doubt-Spiderwebs at least once a day on this station.

The heavy rotation seems to be

No Doubt - "Spiderwebs"
Candlebox - "Far Behind"
Next - "Too Close" (a/k/a the song about getting a boner from dancing with a girl)
Michael Jackson - "Black and White"

Of all the songs they have in a fairly formidable library, why these pop up the most is anyone's guess. Someone must really, really like "Too Close."

And no, no one refers to Nirvana as oldies, because "oldies" is generally understood to mean rock and roll and Motown from the late '50s through maybe the early '70s. I'm just saying that bands of their time occupy the same sentimental place for Gen Xers that oldies did for...well, old people.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:00 pm 

In a related story, okay, WXRT, you're the station with like a billion songs in the library; you don't have to play "Little Talks" and "Ho Hey" every hour.