It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Can Dahl be far behind?

Also, it looks like Mac might just have some more leverage when he negotiates that next recession contract. Those guys understand the 25-49 male demo.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Connect the dots. Jonathon Brandmeier is doing morning drive & Garry Meier is hosting afternoons when not pre-empted or nipped by Cubs' baseball. When will Kevin Matthews & Jim Shorts replace Mike McConnell middays? Matthews got so screwed before he was forced out in a contract dispute at the former 105.9 WCKG...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I don't think any of that old talent is going to come back. Dahl has not only his own podcast but now his own podcast network.

Mitch Rosen has worked with both de Castro and Wert before. Not crazy to think WGN goes after Mitch, and either way, does a mix of news and sports talk.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Can Dahl be far behind?

Also, it looks like Mac might just have some more leverage when he negotiates that next recession contract. Those guys understand the 25-49 male demo.

You think WGN goes after Mac? Really?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:57 am 
Site Admin

RadioNerd wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Can Dahl be far behind?

You think WGN goes after Mac? Really?

I don't know, but if I'm Mac, I'm looking into it. He's getting to the right age. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:58 am 
Site Admin

RadioNerd wrote:
I don't think any of that old talent is going to come back. Dahl has not only his own podcast but now his own podcast network.

Does that really make any money? It sounds like Webio without ill-gotten cash infusions from David Hernandez.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The Candyman will be the one to go there not Mac.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:59 am 

RadioNerd wrote:

Mitch Rosen has worked with both de Castro and Wert before. Not crazy to think WGN goes after Mitch, and either way, does a mix of news and sports talk.

That is a good point regarding Stever. He appears to have thrived podcasting since it ended for him at 104.3 FM when they were known as "JACK FM" a couple years ago. Steve was the ONLY live voice on the radio station "Playing What They Want" before becoming K-Hits. Steve Dahl also had nothing to do with that fiasco called ChicagoSportsWebio.

A certain "Mr. Multimedia" who shamelessly plugs NBC5, meteorologist Cheryl Scott and hosts the nighttime SCORE regardless if there's a White Sox game is a frequent regular on Dahl's podcast. You know the one.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:18 pm 

I don't know what they will do but I trust these guys to program something I will like.

All these old guys have made their money and I don't think they want to do any more heavy lifting. Find the next Dahl, Brandmeier and Mathews.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
I don't know what they will do but I trust these guys to program something I will like.

All these old guys have made their money and I don't think they want to do any more heavy lifting. Find the next Dahl, Brandmeier and Mathews.

Of course you do.

Wert went to Fenwick.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:46 pm 

Interesting. I thought Wert was Jewish.

Didn't he own a piece of some station that got bought out for big money and is now just in the business for fun?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:54 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Didn't he own a piece of some station that got bought out for big money and is now just in the business for fun?

I think you're referring to Jim DeCastro, and he was a co-founder of Evergreen Media, the onetime owner of The LOOP, then 1000 AM & 97.9 FM in the late '80s. It later became Chancellor, then AMFM, Inc. & was swallowed up, I believe in 2000 by the radio giant known as ClearChannel.

DeCastro has also had his hands in some online companies, including Content Factory, which helped lure Dan Patrick away from ESPN in 2007. He also is a partner in 2 downtown restaurants. Tavern at the Park in Millenium Park & Keefer's, 20 W. Kinzie.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

I never met his dad. His mom is Italian and her brother, a former Bear, once owned a bowling alley in Willowbrook with Da Coach.

Larry is one of greatest guys you will ever meet. His grade school class has a couple of other very notable grads as well. Went to St Mary's in Riverside and Fenwick. Was also one of the top divers in the NCAA at Wisconsin.

He was mentored by Joe Ahern at WLS years ago and moved up through the sales ranks into management. He may have got a piece of the pie when Evergreen sold their stations, but I've never heard that before.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

SHARK wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think you're referring to Jim DeCastro, and he was a co-founder of Evergreen Media, the onetime owner of The LOOP, then 1000 AM & 97.9 FM in the late '80s. It later became Chancellor, then AMFM, Inc. & was swallowed up, I believe in 2000 by the radio giant known as ClearChannel.

DeCastro has also had his hands in some online companies, including Content Factory, which helped lure Dan Patrick away from ESPN in 2007. He also is a partner in 2 downtown restaurants. Tavern at the Park in Millenium Park & Keefer's, 20 W. Kinzie.

Jim DeCastro definitely isn't Jewish.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SHARK wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Never said he was. Based on what Larz reported on ChicagolandRadioAndMedia.com yesterday, DeCastro is nicknamed as "The Deacon".

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

SHARK wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SHARK wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Never said he was. Based on what Larz reported on ChicagolandRadioAndMedia.com yesterday, DeCastro is nicknamed as "The Deacon".

Okay. I just figured we were SHARKing each other.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 pm 

Shark you might be interested to know that Milt Rosenberg is doing a podcast.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:44 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
This will be interesting to watch. Decastro & Wert will certainly make changes at WGN Radio & it wouldn't surprise me if they recruit Mitch as the PD at AM 720. He has worked with both of them back in the WLUP glory days & at AM 1000. I would love to see Mitch jump ship to WGN radio as it would make for some exciting changes in the Chicago sports radio landscape for both WGN & the Score. You could see Larry & Mac end up on WGN & a new PD at the Score would certainly shake things up, which would be good for both stations in my opinion. With regards to Dahl, he recently said that he has no intentions of returning to traditional radio but I have a hard time believing that if Wert & Decastro offered him a prime time spot on WGN that he could turn it down. We shall see.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:32 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Mac and Spiegs both made some under-their-breath comments about Rosen to 'GN.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
I went down the youtube rabbit hole last night and landed on a clip from a documentary about the Loop. In it was an interview with Jimmy DeCastro, talking at great length about the competitiveness of Chicago radio and marshaling his own talent, saying that these guys would go nuts if they were off the air for two days, and if they wanted to flee for climates warmer than Chicago, then so be it; he'd find new people, for instance, Kevin Matthews.

That last part at the end about finding new people gave me hope that while there is going to be a sense of getting the band back together, DeCastro is smart enough not to rest on his laurels and try to replicate something that happened about a quarter-century ago. Ironically, you have to think that at this point, Kevin Matthews is the dead-fucking-last guy they'd dredge up to be part of this new WGN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyFyjDM_viI

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Everything that has ever been done at WGN always has the "dont lose the 60+ crowd".

Where are they going if they dont like the shows? WLS? or.....? Nope thats pretty much it...

Keep the Cubs on the station, maybe cut a Hawks deal and up the talk shows....really not needing the radio Jeanyus

Just a tad bit of disagreement and yelling, it creates ratings. See Dan Bernstein.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:31 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Everything that has ever been done at WGN always has the "dont lose the 60+ crowd".

Where are they going if they dont like the shows? WLS? or.....? Nope thats pretty much it...

Keep the Cubs on the station, maybe cut a Hawks deal and up the talk shows....really not needing the radio Jeanyus

Just a tad bit of disagreement and yelling, it creates ratings. See Dan Bernstein.

The people who listened to The Loop back in its glory days, are pushing 60.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:03 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
bigfan wrote:

The people who listened to The Loop back on its glory days, are pushing 60.

Yes, I know, thus time to stop the Recipe Radio Shows, etc and let some good ole fashioned assholes on the air.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:24 pm 

What kind of Hawks deal would they cut? They're already on through 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:07 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
What kind of Hawks deal would they cut? They're already on through 2019.

I apologize for not having the information as to the expiration of the current Blackhawks deal at my fingertips.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:36 pm 

I just figured Mac has been actively grousing about the Hawks staying with WGN, so people knew they were there for the long haul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:05 am 

WGN-AM 720 Program Director Bill White was fired today.

Mitch Rosen your table is ready.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:00 am 

That didn't take long. Seems like just yesterday they pushed Langmyer out.

EDIT: it was eight months ago, still a short run for a PD or GM.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:08 am 

Scorehead wrote:
WGN-AM 720 Program Director Bill White was fired today.

Mitch Rosen your table is ready.

I listened to some Hawks pregame sunday. WOW is that horrible.