It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WSCR/CBS Resources
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:09 am 

With the successful end of a regular season compacted as a result of a labor dispute and the Blackhawks run towards the Stanley Cup, hockey has been a worthy element of sports talk discussion. I thought it great that WSCR sent Adam Hoge to Los Angeles to follow the Blackhawks, and had hoped he could be a true resource for information in anticipation of each game. To his credit Dan McNeil drives hockey talk on WSCR but it would be even better if the questions he poses in his discussion could at least be addressed by Hoge.

Case in point: McNeil's repeated mention of defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson and the puck he took off his knee in game 3. It would have been great if there was some audio post-game from game 3 about the injury, or some pre-game audio for game 4. While I can understand why open questions--particularly about a player's health--helps to drive a show, I think getting answers from the source can take it to the next level particularly when the resources are promoted as being available.

Moreso with the afternoon show is the penchant to take on ESPN for their shortcomings (real or perceived) but I find it somewhat perplexing how CBS resources both in-house and from the network seem to be so minor in comparison. While on the one hand it can be appreciated that the shows go outside of CBS for expert opinion, insight and commentary, on the other hand it seems as though CBS people are not good enough or sufficient enough for the shows. WSCR listeners get regular minute opinions from CBS sources (Esiason, Feinstein, Rome, and Gottlieb) but little further.

I know other CBS sports radio shows utilize CBS resources (audio roadshow gives access) but it would not just be more informative for WSCR listeners to hear these resources but possibly give the hosts a better foundation to take on ESPN (or other sports networks). As the saying goes, "its the lead dog on the sled that has the bite marks on its behind." It would be nice if WSCR/CBS were looking if not to be the lead dog to at least not being a yipping dog that is more along for the ride. As with the case of the Blackhawks, there is little reason that WSCR couldn't be the lead dog on this prominent local sports story.

Post subject: Re: WSCR/CBS Resources
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I was just thinking about starting a thread about how fucking weak WSCR reporting is. They have ZZ, who at least attempts to cover the Bears. What about the rest. Schuster? That guy is no reporter. Can't even compete with bankrupt newspapers? Sad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
can't even afford to send someone over to the Cubs game today. sad.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Hatchetman wrote:
I was just thinking about starting a thread about how fucking weak WSCR reporting is. They have ZZ, who at least attempts to cover the Bears. What about the rest. Schuster? That guy is no reporter. Can't even compete with bankrupt newspapers? Sad.

Let me add this as well. I bet CBS Sports Radio/The SCORE is too cheap to send David Schuster or even Connor McKnight for that matter to Boston to cover the Blackhawks/Bruins if that's your Stanley Cup Final next week...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
The Score just might as well give up. Every day Daniel Bernstein is scaring away listeners w/ his crass manner of handling callers, his crypto-erotic obsession w/ specific topics & his enormous ego. Even a decent fellow like Larry feels he needs to lick the boot of the Great Bernsie just to survive.

Dan McNeil is destroying his own career just by associating w/ the monster known as "The Candyman", a vile, neurotic, bitter, jaded ogre who feeds on the tears of those he deems beneath him. Mac needs to save his show & his soul by eradicating the brute from the airwaves.

RIP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The sox game was on the other day while I usually listen to B&B. So I streamed ESPN and they had actual Hawks and other teams comments on tape during sports update. The score is mailng it in until the ratings drop then they will change.