It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Heard Kap announce this yesterday during WGN's Radio coverage of The Hawks Parade & Rally. No mention about what happens to Brian Noonan & Andrea Darlas. Basic premise; Kap's sports talk live from 7-11 p.m. and Jordan Bernfield & Mark Carmen with the daily sports recap from 11-midnight. Anybody know anything else? Will Kap stay as full time STL host on CSN? Noonan & Darlas out?

Edit: Just found this...

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/57 ... turi-ryder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
You should rename this thread "The Dave Kaplan Show (Bad)".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:03 pm 

So does this mean Kaplan is on for 5 hours a week with Comcast and 20 hours a week with WGN?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Sounds like it, Mini... also Cubs pre & post on CSN. That's a lot of Kap in one week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Godfella wrote:
Sounds like it, Mini... also Cubs pre & post on CSN. That's a lot of Krap in one week.

Fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
This at least gives sports fans another option in the evening. Good riddance to Noonan & Darlus.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Scorehead wrote:
This at least gives sports fans another option in the evening. Good riddance to Noonan & Darlus.

so does autoerotic asphyxiation, but you don't see me preaching it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
sinicalypse wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

No shit. 4 hours of Kaplan in one sitting? I never thought I'd say this....but I think I would rather listen to Laurence.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:53 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

No shit. 4 hours of Kaplan in one sitting? I never thought I'd say this....but I think I would rather listen to Laurence.

as i've said on here b4, the thing about kaplan is summarized by the fact that he went and updated his wikipedia page with the pertinent info that he was voted father of the year at some point. seriously, nevermind fathers who give up kidneys to keep their kids alive..... david kaplan stands above them just by virtue of the fact that he's david kaplan and he's kind of a very big deal in chicago and you'd best be on his good side otherwise he just might "tell it like it is" with you. or something.

either that, or there's some really sad souls who are hardcore david kaplan fans who saw his wikipedia page and were outraged like "OMFG THEY DON'T HAVE FATHER OF THE YEAR ON THERE?!?!! I GOT THIS ONE"

edit: HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH HIS WIKIPEDIA PAGE NO LONGER HAS THE FATHER OF THE YEAR STUFF ON IT. DOES THAT MEAN.... HEY DAVID, THANKS FOR READING!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:57 pm 

Hey Dave, Wikipedia keeps an archive of all updates to a page, so you'll never escape that you put this in your own wikipedia page somewhere around ~08-10 or whatever wrote:
Raised in Skokie, Illinois, David attended Hamline University in St. Paul, Minnesota where he received a Bachelor of Arts in English and played both football and baseball. He also earned the “First Decade” award for the most outstanding performance by a Hamline alum in their first 10 years out of college. Kaplan was also named “Father of the Year” by the Illinois Fatherhood Initiative.

David and his wife Mindy reside in the northern suburbs. He is the father of a 15 year-old son, Brett, and stepfather to 19 year-old Nicholas, 18 year-old Alex and 16 year-old Garret. He also has three of the greatest dogs in the world…. a 6 year-old miniature Goldendoodle named Studly, a 3 year-old Yellow Labrador named Rocky, and a mixed breed named Yoshii, who was adopted at a Chicago Wolves game in February of 2008. He is an avid golfer and still plays baseball as a member of the 35 and over Chicago North Panthers of the Men’s Senior Baseball League (MSBL).

so either david kaplan has a stalker, or he just wanted to make sure people don't get his dog's name wrong. or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:00 pm 

Possible one of the most blatantly self-penned wiki bios in history.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:08 pm 

My take is WGN has a problem. With the shift is station management and shuffling hosts in and out there is a disconnect between the listeners and the program director. The type of people being brought in like The News Junkie, Simon Rendez-Vous and others are terrible radio. Meanwhile they dumped Milt Rosenberg and retained Kaplan. They also still have Memolo and Koslowski on during the weekend. The one thing they did well was land the Blackhawks on their radio station.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
You're talking about two or three different management groups. News Junkie, Greg Jarrett, Badinter were all Randy Michaels hires, and long gone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:11 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
You're talking about two or three different management groups. News Junkie, Greg Jarrett, Badinter were all Randy Michaels hires, and long gone.

That is true. But my point is that from a few years ago to the present it's all bad radio.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 am 

Well, like all of his other work, it will suck and softball questions will be tossed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Kaplan's former partners on the weeknight broadcasts, Brian Noonan and Andrea Darliss, were/are equally terrible. Noonan's on-air persona amounts to little more than a stale Letterman impersonation and Darliss is an uninformed chick who is there, presumably, to represent the "women's" perspective. This shows you what WGN management thinks of women.

I know there have been a lot of negative comments written about Nick DiGilio in this section, but I still think he's far superior to most of the station's on-air talent. In my view, his shows could be immeasurably improved with some decent coaching. Someone needs to tell him to slow down, relax, focus a bit more, and treat his subjects with a bit more depth. If he does all those things (not a difficult task, in my opinion), he could be a force in prime-time radio.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Tall Midget wrote:
Kaplan's former partners on the weeknight broadcasts, Brian Noonan and Andrea Darliss, were/are equally terrible. Noonan's on-air persona amounts to little more than a stale Letterman impersonation and Darliss is an uninformed chick who is there, presumably, to represent the "women's" perspective. This shows you what WGN management thinks of women.

I know there have been a lot of negative comments written about Nick DiGilio in this section, but I still think he's far superior to most of the station's on-air talent. In my view, his shows could be immeasurably improved with some decent coaching. Someone needs to tell him to slow down, relax, focus a bit more, and treat his subjects with a bit more depth. If he does all those things (not a difficult task, in my opinion), he could be a force in prime-time radio.

While I could have done without most of Darlas' non-contributions, I completely disagree about Noonan. You want a Lettterman knockoff? See: Terry Boers. Noonan has a distinct, non-phony "regular-guyness" to him, and was perfect as a counterpoint to Kaplan's Coppock-esque smarm. I actually enjoyed when Kaplan was gone and Noonan ran the show. Noonan's going to get more airtime there in some capacity.

As far as DiGilio goes, "small doses" go a long way. There are reasons why he has never graduated to a regular shift. He is never prepared other than with his constantly recycled five topics, like "commercials you hate", or "commercials that make you laugh", etc. Plus, he's been around for nearly 20 years, if he hasn't evolved in all that time, no amount of "decent coaching" is going to "immeasurably" improve him at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:33 am 
1000 CLUB

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

While I could have done without most of Darlas' non-contributions, I completely disagree about Noonan. You want a Lettterman knockoff? See: Terry Boers. Noonan has a distinct, non-phony "regular-guyness" to him, and was perfect as a counterpoint to Kaplan's Coppock-esque smarm. I actually enjoyed when Kaplan was gone and Noonan ran the show. Noonan's going to get more airtime there in some capacity.

As far as DiGilio goes, "small doses" go a long way. There are reasons why he has never graduated to a regular shift. He is never prepared other than with his constantly recycled five topics, like "commercials you hate", or "commercials that make you laugh", etc. Plus, he's been around for nearly 20 years, if he hasn't evolved in all that time, no amount of "decent coaching" is going to "immeasurably" improve him at all.

If anything, I'd say you have it backwards. DiGilio seems like much more of a "regular" Chicago guy to me than does Noonan, whose privileged background rears its elitist head from time to time. Obviously Boers also derives his humor from Letterman, but that's hardly relevant to the discussion. And while Noonan was certainly more tolerable than Kaplan, that's hardly a mark of honor given that Kaplan is one of the worst hosts on Chicago talk radio.

Your point about DiGilio's "5 Recycled Topics" shows that you don't listen to his program on a regular basis. The guy regularly engages a broader range of subjects than anyone else on the station. Mick Dumke is a frequent guest to discuss Chicago politics, he brings in Monica Eng and others to talk Chicago food, he is constantly talking mainstream and cult films with a wide range of critics, performers and directors, he also brings in that guy from the Reader who does the Secret History of Chicago Music feature to talk local music, etc. And yeah, he will talk about commercials along with reality TV, overlooked cable shows and a bunch of other stuff.

Given your apparent lack of familiarity with DiGilio's show, I find your opinion about his lack of potential to improve unconvincing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
sinicalypse wrote:
Hey Dave, Wikipedia keeps an archive of all updates to a page, so you'll never escape that you put this in your own wikipedia page somewhere around ~08-10 or whatever wrote:
Raised in Skokie, Illinois, David attended Hamline University in St. Paul, Minnesota where he received a Bachelor of Arts in English and played both football and baseball. He also earned the “First Decade” award for the most outstanding performance by a Hamline alum in their first 10 years out of college. Kaplan was also named “Father of the Year” by the Illinois Fatherhood Initiative.

David and his wife Mindy reside in the northern suburbs. He is the father of a 15 year-old son, Brett, and stepfather to 19 year-old Nicholas, 18 year-old Alex and 16 year-old Garret. He also has three of the greatest dogs in the world…. a 6 year-old miniature Goldendoodle named Studly, a 3 year-old Yellow Labrador named Rocky, and a mixed breed named Yoshii, who was adopted at a Chicago Wolves game in February of 2008. He is an avid golfer and still plays baseball as a member of the 35 and over Chicago North Panthers of the Men’s Senior Baseball League (MSBL).

so either david kaplan has a stalker, or he just wanted to make sure people don't get his dog's name wrong. or something.

At least we know where he played his ball.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:57 pm 

I take comfort in the fact that Kaplan has had a show for a decade on one of the most listened to stations in this city and barely rates a blip on a sports radio message board.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Tall Midget wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

If anything, I'd say you have it backwards. DiGilio seems like much more of a "regular" Chicago guy to me than does Noonan, whose privileged background rears its elitist head from time to time. Obviously Boers also derives his humor from Letterman, but that's hardly relevant to the discussion. And while Noonan was certainly more tolerable than Kaplan, that's hardly a mark of honor given that Kaplan is one of the worst hosts on Chicago talk radio.

Your point about DiGilio's "5 Recycled Topics" shows that you don't listen to his program on a regular basis. The guy regularly engages a broader range of subjects than anyone else on the station. nut Dumke is a frequent guest to discuss Chicago politics, he brings in Monica Eng and others to talk Chicago food, he is constantly talking mainstream and cult films with a wide range of critics, performers and directors, he also brings in that guy from the Reader who does the Secret History of Chicago Music feature to talk local music, etc. And yeah, he will talk about commercials along with reality TV, overlooked cable shows and a bunch of other stuff.

Given your apparent lack of familiarity with DiGilio's show, I find your opinion about his lack of potential to improve unconvincing.

Thank you for helping me to make my argument :lol:. For someone who has to fill, what, maybe 6 hours of airtime a week?

Maybe I am not as familiar because I don't listen as much as you, as I really can't take more than a few minutes of his show???

OK, to be fair, let's make it the "10 Recycled Topics".

For instance, is he still doing the "what's trending on Yahoo Search" segments? If he was so well-prepared, this wouldn't even be part of the show. Then again, I'm sure he's got other things on his mind, like talking incessantly about his play...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Your point about DiGilio's "5 Recycled Topics" shows that you don't listen to his program on a regular basis. The guy regularly engages a broader range of subjects than anyone else on the station. nut Dumke is a frequent guest to discuss Chicago politics, he brings in Monica Eng and others to talk Chicago food, he is constantly talking mainstream and cult films with a wide range of critics, performers and directors, he also brings in that guy from the Reader who does the Secret History of Chicago Music feature to talk local music, etc. And yeah, he will talk about commercials along with reality TV, overlooked cable shows and a bunch of other stuff.

Thank you for helping me to make my argument :lol:. For someone who has to fill, what, maybe 6 hours of airtime a week?

Maybe I am not as familiar because I don't listen as much as you, as I really can't take more than a few minutes of his show???

OK, to be fair, let's make it the "10 Recycled Topics".

For instance, is he still doing the "what's trending on Yahoo Search" segments? If he was so well-prepared, this wouldn't even be part of the show. Then again, I'm sure he's got other things on his mind, like talking incessantly about his play...

I haven't heard the Google search segment lately, but you're right about that--it's totally lame. I'm not saying the guy's perfect, but his topics are more interesting than most hosts on that station. And he's certainly better than Noonan, who seems to know little about Chicago or the world in general.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 pm 

I was a big Nick D fan once upon a time (I'd say about 2003-2006), and his show kinda helped me get into some music and films and stuff. I think I heard Wilco for the first time on his show. But he really has been spinning his wheels for years now. I think I've told the story about how my family was driving home from a gathering one day and he spent an entire hour-15, virtually without interruption, freaking out about RadioShack renaming itself "The Shack." When we pulled in, my sister's boyfriend mumbled "I'm glad that's over." So if he can get the coaching you speak of, okay maybe, but maybe he just tops out at late-night weekend guy.

You know who I would like to get a weekday shift? Rick Kogan. He was doing a daily show on WBEZ for a while, but maybe he could come back. I could listen to him talk about anything. When he did that Sunday morning show on 720 where he just rambled about whoever was playing at the Old Town School next weekend, that's precisely what I did!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:20 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I was a big Nick D fan once upon a time (I'd say about 2003-2006), and his show kinda helped me get into some music and films and stuff. I think I heard Wilco for the first time on his show. But he really has been spinning his wheels for years now. I think I've told the story about how my family was driving home from a gathering one day and he spent an entire hour-15, virtually without interruption, freaking out about RadioShack renaming itself "The Shack." When we pulled in, my sister's boyfriend mumbled "I'm glad that's over." So if he can get the coaching you speak of, okay maybe, but maybe he just tops out at late-night weekend guy.

I'm surprised Nick is still around honestly. The station went from having the same few hosts for years and years and now it's like a revolving door. Kaplan is the only one on the regular schedule that was on the station a few years ago. Nick and some of the other weekend programming is still around, but there are a lot of people who have come and gone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:27 pm 

I think the lineup was Spike/Kathy & Judy/Cochran/John Williams/Kaplan/Milt/Steve & Johnnie from Bob Collins's death to Spike's retirement, or 8+ years. The only changes were sometimes they'd have a Noon Show and sometimes not, and I think Williams and Cochran flipped time slots at some point. Now they've had too many changes to list, most of them bad.

Their weekend programming was also pretty bad. Steve Dale is by all accounts a terrific human being, but a weekly show about pet care is some serious brokered-radio shit. Speaking of brokered radio and bad weekends on fast-falling AM stations, holy crap 890. I was in the car with my grandma on Saturday, going to a birthday lunch for my dad. She leaves her car radio tuned to WLS at all times. Through nothing but sheer radio-dial inertia we listened to a program about the health benefits of krill oil. This was the most popular radio station in Chicago once.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Tall Midget wrote:

Your point about being prepared was illustrated this past weekend. He had Elden Ham on to talk about his new book, and numerous times Nick said that he had only read half of it. I would think if you're going to have an author on, you might want to read the entire book. Or, not mention more than once that you only got halfway thru it. I'm crazy that way.

Still, I do enjoy his show very much, despite the "ums" and "ahs."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:18 pm 

I don't really trust any interviewer to have read a guest's book and to have taken thoughtful notes on it. Well, except Milt Rosenberg.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:27 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
You know who I would like to get a weekday shift? Rick Kogan. He was doing a daily show on WBEZ for a while, but maybe he could come back. I could listen to him talk about anything. When he did that Sunday morning show on 720 where he just rambled about whoever was playing at the Old Town School next weekend, that's precisely what I did!

He is awesome. Guy knows more about this city than the entire air staff combined. Great old stories. He should be given a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I tuned in briefly last night. He was doing the Cubs fans vs. Sox fans shtick. "I hate the Cubs, here's why", next caller, "I hate the Sox, here's why". No thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't really trust any interviewer to have read a guest's book and to have taken thoughtful notes on it. Well, except Milt Rosenberg.

Jon Stewart & Stephen Colbert almost always admit to their guests that they haven't read the books.