It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:47 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Michael Jeffrey Jordan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Certainly we can see this is true from a historical perspective by tracing the evoloution of cold war intellectuals and their fealty to state power.

Certainly.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Tall Midget wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Let's not go overboard on the Bernstien stuff. I have always said that there is a place for his show at the station. However, it is not as the headliner giving the station its character.

I have a fuzzy rememberance from philosphy class that seems appropriate as an analogy for the Score:

thesis ->antithesis -> synthesis

North ->Bernstien -> ?

Who will be the next embodiment of the station's character? Unfortunately, if the analogy holds true, we will get some bland Connor Mc Night type as the next Score star. Consider that for a moment.

I agree to an extent. Bernstein is smart, by sports talk radio standards. But I have always held the belief that true intelligence is humble. It is unsure. It's actually the irony of the world we live in. The truly intelligent understand that we will always live in a world of gray. Anyone who lives in a world of black and white, to me, probably isn't as intelligent as they portray. Being "sure" of something, or most things, is the sign of someone who doesn't think deeply enough.

I see what you are saying in Bernstein's case, but question the broader validity of your statement. I would simply point out that there is a certain fetishization of complexity at work in many universities. What you are essentially describing is the ideological ambivalence of Cold War Liberalism (which remains the reigning orthodoxy in most universities today), which privileges "complex" analysis over epistemological certainty. I have long found this paradigm to be a ideological lever used to justify political quietism. Certainly we can see this is true from a historical perspective by tracing the evoloution of cold war intellectuals and their fealty to state power.

So, do you agree or disagree, in general?

And also let me clarify: there are many things we can be "sure" of, and we should be. For example, I am sure that if I drank arsenic, I would die. These are necessary survival beliefs. But philosophical beliefs, or thoughts, are not as absolute.

I will also say that absolutists, in general, are necessary. If they didn't exist, we would never get anything accomplished. But I don't necessarily consider them to be intelligent.

To summarize, Dan Bernstein is a necessary evil, but to come to the conclusion that he is a great intellect is incorrect, and that I'm sure of.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:

I see what you are saying in Bernstein's case, but question the broader validity of your statement. I would simply point out that there is a certain fetishization of complexity at work in many universities. What you are essentially describing is the ideological ambivalence of Cold War Liberalism (which remains the reigning orthodoxy in most universities today), which privileges "complex" analysis over epistemological certainty. I have long found this paradigm to be a ideological lever used to justify political quietism. Certainly we can see this is true from a historical perspective by tracing the evoloution of cold war intellectuals and their fealty to state power.

Couldn't you go the other way as well and say academics have promoted critical approaches to complicate long-established sociopolitical orthodoxies? I mean there's all kinds of critical academic work that question what they hold to be "myths" all the time, whether they be national narratives, or some other widely-held beliefs that are torn apart by the complexity you mentioned. I'm not sure about Cold War intellectuals, but I know many others who have no interest in reinforcing subservience to anything, but rather seek to liberate the mind from beliefs based upon, among other things, ideologically slanted assumptions.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
settle down guys, you're going to agitate Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:40 am 
1000 CLUB

Here's the irony of the Score bench trying to be Bernstein: It actually hurts them.

Trying to sound smart when you're dumb makes you look more dumb. Trying to sound authoritative on subjects when you're ignorant makes you look like a fool. Pretending to be high society when you're no different than the blue collar sports fan listeners that can't afford the good seats makes you look like a phony.

Drinky: I hate dem poor speaking, Chicago accent having, dumb ass sports fans in dis city that don't have enough money to take their kids to a bunch of games.

Bernstein: That's you.

Drinky: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:

I agree to an extent. Bernstein is smart, by sports talk radio standards. But I have always held the belief that true intelligence is humble. It is unsure. It's actually the irony of the world we live in. The truly intelligent understand that we will always live in a world of gray. Anyone who lives in a world of black and white, to me, probably isn't as intelligent as they portray. Being "sure" of something, or most things, is the sign of someone who doesn't think deeply enough.

This.

I read an adage once that said something like the sign of a knowledgeable person is someone who is not afraid to admit what s/he does not know. To me, someone who refuses to consider the fallibility of his/her positions is a fool and possible megalomaniac.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 am 
1000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Couldn't you go the other way as well and say academics have promoted critical approaches to complicate long-established sociopolitical orthodoxies? I mean there's all kinds of critical academic work that question what they hold to be "myths" all the time, whether they be national narratives, or some other widely-held beliefs that are torn apart by the complexity you mentioned. I'm not sure about Cold War intellectuals, but I know many others who have no interest in reinforcing subservience to anything, but rather seek to liberate the mind from beliefs based upon, among other things, ideologically slanted assumptions.

I suppose it depends upon the field you're discussing and which scholars in that field. In general, I find the identity politics practiced by many across the humanities and social sciences to be a form of multicultural quietism--a politics that "celebrates" difference while reinforcing the status quo. In this vein, I see Bernstein as a multicultural racist/classist. And if poststructuralism has taught us anything, it's that there is no "outside" to ideology.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm 

I took literature class taught by a nun who reverted every critique back to psychology based in sexuality....easy A for old dolphin in that one. In some ways, I don't think she was too far from the truth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Mac,
I admire you for coming on this board and stating your opinions. What you and others on here fail to admit is the SCORE lost a great deal when they put North,Murph & Jigs out to pasture. It hasn't been the same for me, I know that. People can rip North & Murph all they want but those two guys had a fire under their ass that is hard to find anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
jimmypasta wrote:
Mac,
I admire you for coming on this board and stating your opinions. What you and others on here fail to admit is the SCORE lost a great deal when they put North,Murph & Jigs out to pasture. It hasn't been the same for me, I know that. People can rip North & Murph all they want but those two guys had a fire under their ass that is hard to find anymore.

It's not hard to find at all, jimmy. You just don't find it in broadcasting schools or via ScoreSearch. You find it in neighborhood bars, at beef stands, and on the CSFMB!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Mac,

It's not hard to find at all, jimmy. You just don't find it in broadcasting schools or via ScoreSearch. You find it in neighborhood bars, at beef stands, and on the CSFMB!

I agree 100%, JORR. One of the reasons I enjoy frequenting Honey1 BBQ is that the guys behind the counter are frequently engaged in incredibly intense sports debates that spill out into the dining area. I love talking with the staff and customers there. (Incidentally, I had an absolutely transcendental meal at Honey1 last weekend--the tips and links were just phenomenal.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Tall Midget wrote:
(Incidentally, I had an absolutely transcendental meal at Honey1 last weekend--the tips and links were just phenomenal.)

Yeah, I know Honey 1 is inconsistent, but when it's good, it's hard to beat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
veganfan21 wrote:

I read an adage once that said something like the sign of a knowledgeable person is someone who is not afraid to admit what s/he does not know. To me, someone who refuses to consider the fallibility of his/her positions is a fool and possible MACalomaniac.

Fixed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Hegelian dialectic as applied to the Score. I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:22 pm 

A few things for this:

You will never confuse Mac or Terry with someone who is hard working. Off 4 of the next 6 weeks, wow.

Hockey talk will never be entertaining. There aren't enough fans that enjoy this, or watch hockey. The league has 3 teams making money, I really wish they would just shut down.

Finfer really isn't good. Mac keeps pushing for him, but he is just another Mac "yes man".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:45 pm 

I know no one looks to schmitty1121 for good posts, but there are at least ten teams making good money in the NHL (Rangers, Boston, Chicago, the seven Canadian teams). Chicago's local ratings for hockey are quite high. No, it's not as popular as the other three sports, but there's enough of a fanbase here to give them some content.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
schmitty1121 wrote:
A few things for this:

You will never confuse Mac or Terry with someone who is hard working. Off 4 of the next 6 weeks, wow.

Hockey talk will never be entertaining. There aren't enough fans that enjoy this, or watch hockey. The league has 3 teams making money, I really wish they would just shut down.

Finfer really isn't good. Mac keeps pushing for him, but he is just another Mac "yes man".

You are right 5 hours of B&B grasping at straws why the Bulls offed an assistant is riveting. :roll: Tell your story walking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I know no one looks to schmitty1121 for good posts, but there are at least ten teams making good money in the NHL (Rangers, Boston, Chicago, the seven Canadian teams). Chicago's local ratings for hockey are quite high. No, it's not as popular as the other three sports, but there's enough of a fanbase here to give them some content.

Hate to tell you, but you're wrong. B&B read a article a couple weeks ago, the Hawks won't start making a profit until next season, at the earliest. I think the article said the only teams making money was the teams in Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:10 pm 

Just because Dan used his Readin' Chair voice doesn't mean he's speaking with any authority. It's an open secret that the Wirtzes manipulate their books by attributing revenue from suites, parking, concessions, and liquor sales to WirtzCorp shell corporations rather than the Blackhawks, even though the staging of hockey games is what generates that revenue. However, the NHL is hip to its own book-cooking and counts such things as hockey-related revenue for the purposes of calculating the upper/lower payroll limits, which is a function of leaguewide revenue. Ergo, the league is able to claim escalating revenues while also claiming its teams lose tens of millions.

If you're looking for honest reporting of the Blackhawks' finances from their broadcast partners at the Trib or the Wirtz-owned Sometimes, good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
schmitty1121 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Hate to tell you, but you're wrong. B&B read a article a couple weeks ago, the Hawks won't start making a profit until next season, at the earliest. I think the article said the only teams making money was the teams in Canada.

Dan also claimed last year's NBA Finals was the highest rated since Jordan.

If Dan said the Hawks aren't making money, it's a safe bet that they're raking it in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

I agree. When I heard Bernstein say the Hawks have been losing money in the seasons post 2010 cup I knew it was bullshit. I don't doubt that Rocky tells people that. It's always a smart business move to tell your fan base your're losing money.

But for the past 3 years, there is no doubt that the Hawks generate more revenue than they pay out in expenses per season. 22k a night at their hiked up prices for 41 games. Plus even more hiked up playoff prices. They had 7 or 8 home playoff games this year. It's a cost controlled salary capped league. The NHL owners got back more money from the players with this last lockout as well. Don't forget that.

Put it this way, if the Hawks, of all the teams in the NHL, haven't made profits the last 3 years, than the NHL should be out of business.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:29 pm 

Its a funny thing with the different Wirtz corps for taxes and such. Lol. Bernsie is now also a forensic accountant. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
Its a funny thing with the different Wirtz corps for taxes and such. Lol. Bernsie is now also a forensic accountant. :lol:

Paging Dr Ken...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:

Not really. He basically believed something he read. He of all people should be smarter and know that an owner like Rocky is gonna lie about his finances.

Reinsdorf does the same thing. Granted, I don't think the Sox make a lot per season. But Jerry says they break even every single year. That's not true. They make money. Maybe only 5 million in down years. But they make money every year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:33 pm 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenha ... have-them/

I believe this is the article they talked about. It was from when the lockout started. It really doesn't matter who's making money. You didn't hear shit from supposed hockey fans til 2010, so it's safe to say most are bandwagon fans. Hockey is behind UFC, Golf, and Nascar. That probably shouldn't happen when you consider yourself one of the major 4 sports.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
schmitty1121 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

:lol: This coming from a guy that demands skepticism be applied to anything we see or hear from anyone, except doctors of course.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:35 pm 

That's my problem with him lately. Leash or someone pointed it out as well. He reads and grabs some superficial infor from twitter or something and presents it as expert facts he is only in on. Same with that dumb broad he used for all his Penn St info.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
They. Lost. Money.

LOST. Money.

The. Blackhawks. Lost. Money.

It's not complicated!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:50 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
:lol: This coming from a guy that demands skepticism be applied to anything we see or hear from anyone, except doctors of course.

Yeah, and if Dan wants to champion himself as the Chicago media figure who won't fall victim to cheerleading and team neckties, then perhaps he should step up and call out the Blackhawks for bullshitting their loyal fans with claims of $20-million losses so as to keep jacking up the ticket/parking/booze prices.

However, this puts Dan in a Hawks-bashing quandary: is it better for him to go after the Blackhawks for patting their fans on the shoulder with one hand and picking their pocket with the other, or is it better for him to go after the Blackhawks--and the hockey world in general--by purporting that for all their alleged great leaps forward, they still fail? Knowing what we've come to know about Dan and his critical thinking, and the fact that one comes close to advocating for consumers rather than denigrating them, it's no shock he went with the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I would think his inherent distaste for criticizing another really important wealthy fellow member of the tribe has to play a part in his anxiety over which way to criticize the team as well.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.