It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:39 am 

"We all knew that if given the proper time/backing, that there was no doubt this would take off." Webber's show might have been listenable, but even with the right financial backing was there there is no way the entire webio would have lasted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Wilson A2000 wrote:
"We all knew that if given the proper time/backing, that there was no doubt this would take off." Webber's show might have been listenable, but even with the right financial backing was there there is no way the entire webio would have lasted.

Not unless "the right financial backing" means a billionaire hobbyist who was willing to run a vanity project podcast station at a loss indefinitely. I suspect that at least a few guys involved (Chet, Ofman, North) figured that's what Hernandez was.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:52 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

Not unless "the right financial backing" means a billionaire hobbyist who was willing to run a vanity project podcast station at a loss indefinitely. I suspect that at least a few guys involved (Chet, Ofman, North) figured that's what Hernandez was.

I believe Paul Allen was a major investor in Sporting News Radio and was basically running it at a loss for close to a decade. Even a guy with his almost unlimited financial resources got sick of losing money on the venture and eventually folded it up. Interestingly, it was at Sporting News Radio that Spiegel established his reputation as a "national" talent. But he was a "talent" on a station to which no one listened. Sporting News Radio was truly awful, as was Webio.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:07 pm 

Amazingly a lot of the wildfire podcasts still survive on the internet.

http://www.northtonorth.com/pages/wildfire.shtml

There are bound to be some gems in that bulk of shows, North was pretty unhinged at the time.

For example I clicked on the first podcast, he compared him doing to show for wildfire to Vegas hiring Elvis to play there or something completely insane.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:10 pm 

Not for nothing, here is the bonkers show he did right after getting canned from the score.

Jen's rolodex, north blowing the servers, etc.

http://www.northtonorth.com/blogs/SoundClips.php

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:15 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I'd be all over it, sini, if I had any idea how to do that.

Maybe next week I'll try to do something with it.

welp, i personally have hosting covered... otherwise idk what old megaupload-esque sites are out there that don't require you to sign up for an account.... i'll have to look into that.

or shit, if you use gmail or something and the mp3s are broken down into hourly segments that are under ~15-20mb or whatever the individual file limit is nowadays, you could just e-mail them to me and i'll get them up there for anyone who wants them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Wilson A2000 wrote:

I believe Paul Allen was a major investor in Sporting News Radio and was basically running it at a loss for close to a decade. Even a guy with his almost unlimited financial resources got sick of losing money on the venture and eventually folded it up. Interestingly, it was at Sporting News Radio that Spiegel established his reputation as a "national" talent. But he was a "talent" on a station to which no one listened. Sporting News Radio was truly awful, as was Webio.

My prediction with Webio was that it would end up on one of WCPT's FM repeaters, probably 92.7 out of Arlington Heights. WHOOPS