It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I wish I could have blew my brains out. He is so clueless.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
He'd call you Makaveali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
He's said a few times before that he's a football guy first and foremost, and that people expect him to know and love basketball because he's black. Maybe people expect him to know basketball because he hosts a sports talk show in Chicago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Curious Hair wrote:
He's said a few times before that he's a football guy first and foremost, and that people expect him to know and love basketball because he's black. Maybe people expect him to know basketball because he hosts a sports talk show in Chicago.

No, I'm pretty sure it's the black thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:

That's what I don't get about Mac. I get why you don't like a particular sport in your personal life, but as a sports talk radio professional, don't you have to at least pay attention from time to time to fulfill your work obligations? Or is Mac just too big to be admonished for the deliberate NBA ignorance?

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nas wrote:

Herb too. You don't think twice before trading Noah and Butler for Aldridge? I couldn't believe they were serious. They would be worse than Isiah Thomas as a GM

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
veganfan21 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

That's what I don't get about Mac. I get why you don't like a particular sport in your personal life, but as a sports talk radio professional, don't you have to at least pay attention from time to time to fulfill your work obligations? Or is Mac just too big to be admonished for the deliberate NBA ignorance?

Yeah, like, it's plain as day that Bernstein has some deep-seated hatred for the Blackhawks, but when he sucks it up and talks about the games themselves, he does a pretty good job talking about them. And that's good. When they're the winning team in a town of losers, you have to demonstrate some awareness of what's going on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
veganfan21 wrote:

I have a different view of Mac's basketball acumen. He doesn't like basketball and doesn't pretend to. He lets Spiegel drive Bulls segments while adding comments coming as a casual fan. They get guests who are knowledgeable (Schanowski, Aschburner, Aggrey, etc) and add value. I prefer his approach as he doesn't make an ass of himself. On the other hand, B&B act as if they're the smartest NBA minds in Chicago while really not knowing much about the current NBA landscape. Their specialty is supposedly NBA talk and just the small sample of this board could torch them with their knowledge.

I sound like an apologist but I prefer his hands-off approach than pretending to be an asshole expert. To me, the radio is better.

Edit: Surprising to say, but Holmes was one of the best hosts during the Hawks Cup run. He didn't really know much about hockey so he had on a lot of good guests like Brian Hedger, Jay Zawaski, some Hockey Prospectus dude and let them talk. He did Bernstein's like of borrowing from the Indian to learn about Hawks hockey. He then took a lot of calls and just shot the shit with people. The absence of expertise made his hockey segments very enjoyable.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, like, it's plain as day that Bernstein has some deep-seated hatred for the Blackhawks, but when he sucks it up and talks about the games themselves, he does a pretty good job talking about them. And that's good. When they're the winning team in a town of losers, you have to demonstrate some awareness of what's going on.

Because he knows nothing about hockey. So he reads the Committed Indian and then parrots their previews and recaps during shows. It's great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Herb too. You don't think twice before trading Noah and Butler for Aldridge? I couldn't believe they were serious. They would be worse than Isiah Thomas as a GM

Completely agree. It's one of those shows where it is clear to anyone that knows anything about basketball that they are clueless.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Kirkwood wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I have a different view of Mac's basketball acumen. He doesn't like basketball and doesn't pretend to. He lets Spiegel drive Bulls segments while adding comments coming as a casual fan. They get guests who are knowledgeable (Schanowski, Aschburner, Aggrey, etc) and add value. I prefer his approach as he doesn't make an ass of himself. On the other hand, B&B act as if they're the smartest NBA minds in Chicago while really knowing much about the current NBA landscape. Their specialty is supposedly NBA talk and just the small sample of this board could torch them with their knowledge.

I sound like an apologist but I prefer his hands-off approach than pretending to be an asshole expert. To me, the radio is better.

I get what you're saying, and it doesn't come off as apologetic. I appreciate people who acknowledge what they don't know, so inviting experts to add something to NBA talk is fine by me. Maybe this is too much of a cavil, but with Mac it seems he's sort of proud of being openly uninterested in basketball talk, and that strikes me as somewhat unbecoming for a sports talk show host. Again, I don't care that he personally finds basketball to be less interesting than other sports, but the open on-air enmity is kind of bizarre given his profession.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:

The problem with this formulation is that he doesn't know football, either. I guess he's the anti-Bo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Curious Hair wrote:
Maybe people expect him to know basketball because he hosts a sports talk show in Chicago.

Also because he was the color man for a formerly prominent college basketball program.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Maybe people expect him to know basketball because he hosts a sports talk show in Chicago.

Also because he was the color man for a formerly prominent college basketball program.

Calling him colored? For shame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:13 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Over the top there?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I heard this yesterday and had to tap the dial. Bernstein had given the exact statement earlier in the week. I didn't agree with it then either, so I am glad to know I wasn't alone in my sentiment that the premise could be construed as whooey.

Holmes as colorman and ZZ as your pbp. Those were the days. Daily ZZ updates coming to a theater near you soon. Reeeaall sooon. beni gonna have to crank up the band when ZZ gets in full swing. New sound is a coming with the change in regime. Can't wait to see how he talks about the new cast of characters. :) :? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:36 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

When did he broadcast for the Illini?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:41 am