It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
..writing about the return of John Anderson to the Wolves. Un-frickin'-real!!!

I can see a little blurb and maybe write a column about a variety of subjects but to dedicate a whole column about John Anderson in JULY? The column fails to mention the difference between the Wolves of yesterday (4 ML championships) and today though. The Wolves used to be independant and sign a bunch of vetreran 'tweener guys who would dominate the league of young farmhands. The Wolves have not been independant for some time and are now property of the St. Louis Blues. Simply put they are at the mercy of the NHL franchise they serve. If the Blues have good young talent,the Wolves will thrive,if not more of the recent past.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.

Much better John Anderson.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
I've noticed Rozner doesn't appeal to a certain type of person.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:06 pm 

Drop In wrote:

I like Rozner most of the time except when he uses "We told you here"

certain type =meatball?

So you are fine with a whole column about a ML Hockey Coach in July???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
jimmypasta wrote:
Drop In wrote:

certain type =meatball?

I never liked Rozner. He is constantly stroking the Wolves as he does with other preferred sports stories like Maddux and Tiger. He doesn't need a reason to write about certain topics. However, in today's DH I was more focused on multiple errors like the Atlanta Braces in Speigs column.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
jimmypasta wrote:
Drop In wrote:

certain type =meatball?

He writes for a minor league paper so it's fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
jimmypasta wrote:
The Wolves have not been independant for some time and are now property of the St. Louis Blues. Simply put they are at the mercy of the NHL franchise they serve.

Ask the Atlanta Thrashers about this. The Wolves stunted their prospects' development by playing AHL vets ahead of Thrashers prospects so that they could win games. The Jets' pipeline is still a mess, partly from years of the Wolves fucking things up.

While yes, the Wolves do have a developmental affiliation, they're hardly "at the mercy" of the Blues, nor were they with the Canucks, nor the Thrashers. While the Blues did own their old Peoria affiliate (which they sold to the Canucks), the Wolves remain independently owned and can--and will--do whatever they feel is best for their business model, which is to put on competitive games to send larger-than-AHL-average crowds home happy.

But if you ask me, we're burying the lede: John Anderson is damaneeeel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:22 pm 

If that's true,why become affiliated with the Wolves?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:00 pm 

No one wants to be affiliated with the Wolves. The Thrashers were stuck with them, but when True North bought the Thrashers and re-established the Jets, they kept the old Manitoba Moose and kicked them out to Newfoundland. The Moose were Vancouver's affiliate, but because Winnipeg took them away, they got saddled with the Wolves.

This year is where it all gets really fucked. The Canucks hated their Wolves affiliation too, and wanted to buy Calgary's affiliate, which is incongruously located in suburban Vancouver. Then, Calgary would move its farm team to Utica to be with the rest of the AHL, which for the most part is in upstate New York and New England. However, they couldn't break the lease in Abbotsford, so the Flames are stuck with their farm team in Canucks country. Meanwhile, the new owners of the Blues are already broke, and so they sold the Peoria Rivermen just to get some liquidity. The Canucks bought the Rivermen and moved them to Utica. The Blues, having no affiliate anymore, got stuck with the Wolves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:07 pm 

CH,
Thanks for the education,seriously. Where do you get your info? You gotta guy?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:46 pm 

I dunno. I just follow hockey.

Anyway, as for the appropriateness of a column about the Wolves in mid-July, it is a little weird, but the Herald is a northwest suburban paper and the Wolves are a northwest suburban team: you're probably not making the drive from Homer Glen or Schererville just for AHL hockey. Whatever dead-enders still care about the Wolves as anything more than Fun For The Family are probably Herald readers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
I find Curious Hair to be an outstanding source for hockey knowledge, and a good overall view on things. That said, Curious Hair sucks. Have to keep it real.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:
This year is where it all gets really fucked. The Canucks hated their Wolves affiliation too, and wanted to buy Calgary's affiliate, which is incongruously located in suburban Vancouver. Then, Calgary would move its farm team to Utica to be with the rest of the AHL, which for the most part is in upstate New York and New England. However, they couldn't break the lease in Abbotsford, so the Flames are stuck with their farm team in Canucks country. Meanwhile, the new owners of the Blues are already broke, and so they sold the Peoria Rivermen just to get some liquidity. The Canucks bought the Rivermen and moved them to Utica. The Blues, having no affiliate anymore, got stuck with the Wolves.

This paragraph made me lose my will to live.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:26 am 

And of course in Canada, the whole thing's flip-flopped.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Tolkein couldn't follow this plot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
CH, why does everyone hate being associated with the Wolves?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:25 pm 

Because the Wolves are an old IHL team that never abandoned the IHL mentality of playing to win rather than playing to develop. Whereas many AHL teams are content to basically run scrimmages, the Wolves have always signed a lot of veteran minor-leaguers to go out and win against everyone's 21-year-old future third-liners. (Remember that most players on AHL teams are actually under contract to their parent organization and then placed on assignment.) The idea is that if they win, people are happy and like going to the games, and if people like going to the games, the Wolves might make some money. Compare this situation to, say, the Albany Devils, who are owned by the NJ Devils outright and exist solely to prepare players for the NHL, with little regard for cashflow because the arena is small and they mostly just ride a bus around upstate NY.

The most recent shining example of the Wolves telling a parent team to blow it out their ass is when they signed a decrepit Chris Chelios to eat up minutes that could have been eaten by, oh, I don't know, anyone with a semblance of a fucking future. Then the Thrashers signed Chelios to a minor-league contract, sent him back down to the Wolves, and called him up for the end of the year, so we briefly had Chris Chelios, Atlanta Thrasher.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:07 pm 

No disrespect,CH but didn't I say that in my original post?

jimmypasta wrote:
..writing about the return of John Anderson to the Wolves. Un-frickin'-real!!!

I can see a little blurb and maybe write a column about a variety of subjects but to dedicate a whole column about John Anderson in JULY? The column fails to mention the difference between the Wolves of yesterday (4 ML championships) and today though. The Wolves used to be independant and sign a bunch of vetreran 'tweener guys who would dominate the league of young farmhands. The Wolves have not been independant for some time and are now property of the St. Louis Blues. Simply put they are at the mercy of the NHL franchise they serve. If the Blues have good young talent,the Wolves will thrive,if not more of the recent past.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:09 pm 

Kind of, but you're still wrong about the extent to which the Blues control their operations and that they continued signing veterans well into their AHL years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:40 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I can almost see Curious reaching into your chest and stealing a piece of your soul as you read his paragraph.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Please go back to ripping BR.