It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:57 pm 

I imagine all the radio producers at the Score hope they can land a hosting gig on the station. But has anyone besides LoHo ever successfully made it up that ladder? It seems to me that former sportswriters have a better shot at being a sports talk show host than radio producers. Why is it that the Score mostly keeps the same personalities (Danny Mac, Boers, Bernstein, LoHo, etc.) over the long haul instead of acquiring new talent? Is there no new sports talk talent out there or is it just a "Good Ol' Boys" club with a limited membership?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Because sports radio has become part of the establishment while blogs and podcasts have assumed the role of alternative sports media. You can't give a meaningful daypart to a producer any more than you can give a column to a copy editor.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
If they had a glass floor the candyman would kill the entire office below.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
Curious Hair wrote:
Because sports radio has become part of the establishment while blogs and podcasts have assumed the role of alternative sports media. You can't give a meaningful daypart to a producer any more than you can give a column to a copy editor.

Yep, and over time, in industry after industry, those low-end, mass-appealing blogs/podcasts/etc begin to move up the value chain and start eating the establishment's lunch. Toyota started out making cheap "jap cars" and eventually took over GM/Ford/Chrysler's dominance in the auto industry--at every level, from economy to luxury. Huffington Post started out as an alternative news source and is working at displacing traditonal print media as a go-to source for news and opinion.

Quote:
In industry after industry, Christensen discovered, the new technologies that had brought the big, established companies to their knees weren’t better or more advanced—they were actually worse. The new products were low-end, dumb, shoddy, and in almost every way inferior. But the new products were usually cheaper and easier to use, and so people or companies who were not rich or sophisticated enough for the old ones started buying the new ones, and there were so many more of the regular people than there were of the rich, sophisticated people that the companies making the new products prospered. Christensen called these low-end products “disruptive technologies,” because, rather than sustaining technological progress toward better performance, they disrupted it. After studying a few exceptions to the pattern of disruption, Christensen concluded that the only way a big company could avoid being disrupted was to set up a small spinoff company that would function as a start-up, make the new low-end product, and be independent enough to ignore what counted as sensible for the mother ship.

http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/assets/eb ... rStory.pdf

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Jonathan Hood moved up the ladder from a producer to an afternoon drive host.

Pretty good stuff right there.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:04 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I'd say the best bet at this point is one of two things:

1) Go get a job in a lesser market relying on the experience you have. WPOP, KFXN, KCSP... somewhere like that might give you a shot at your own show in the 7pm hour.
2) Hope that a third station comes on in Chicago on the FM dial. They'll probably be looking to poach talent, so either you go with, or they dilute the ranks enough at your current station that you can move up.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:19 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Gee, there's Spiegle, Tommy Williams and Hood. Jesse Rogers.

The problem that you have is, if the present hosts are garnering good ratings, how do you justify getting rid of them just so some utopian view of producers becoming hosts just for the "newness" of it. For that kind of churn, you're better off listening to off-market stations

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Curious Hair wrote:
Because sports radio has become part of the establishment...

In a way sports radio is a victim of its own success. When North was just a dope from East Rogers Park fresh out of a hot dog stand he could relate to the callers. When he started pulling down millions he began to believe he was smarter than everyone else. I can hardly blame him. But rather than "fans talking to fans" a new business model was developed and it has devolved to the point where the biggest "star" in the market now makes his living scolding the poor on behalf of the rich.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:01 am 

pizza_Place: Taco Bell Mexican Pizza
Is this a Brickhouse Joke?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:47 pm 

Mike Greenberg was a producer on the SCORE before hitting the big time. Jud Sirott was a producer for the Heavy Fuel Crew back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:57 pm 

Wanderer wrote:
Mike Greenberg was a producer on the SCORE before hitting the big time. Jud Sirott was a producer for the Heavy Fuel Crew back in the day.

Good points. Although that was probably a really long time ago and those guys worked a lot of jobs in-between their current gigs. They advanced their careers, but not at the Score.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Mini Ditka wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

Good points. Although that was probably a really long time ago and those guys worked a lot of jobs in-between their current gigs. They advanced their careers, but not at the Score.

Greeny did. Jud moved on to bigger things elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:47 pm 

I cannot envision a scenario in which a current Score producer would rise up to full-time host. I can barely even see part-time producers moving up to full-time producers. Abbatacola has been producing B&B for what, ten or eleven years now?

And are there really any producers right now who should be hosting? I never ask myself "I just want to know what Joe Ostrowski thinks about this."

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
The 2 best guys are still Mac and Boers. They are the only 2 really willing to burn a bridge or attack someone else int he world of sports or media on the air.

Sure, tough guy Danny will take on callers 1 after 1, and he will go after Alford, but those he will see daily in the chicago media scene, he might make fun of, but he would kiss Rick Telanders ass in person and even Hawk, who has shit on BB on the air a few times, he still tries to dumb down his issues with him. If Hawk was not on the Sox crew, it would be totally different.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 9:08 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Well, then, Ostrowski needs to work on being more of a character, so that *might* enter your mindset. Seriously, there's a reason why the Score's been the "shifting chairs on the Titanic" -- the daytime hosts are that good. The last big churn/opportunity came during the Telander/Hood period.

So, you're going to see more people getting gigs at other cities/stations. Unless, ESPN's ratings continue to hemorrhage.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:31 pm 

I actually think Herb is one of the more interesting producers and his show could be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 pm 

They would have their own shows if they were good enough to bring ratings. Very very few are. Jason was probably the closest one the last few years, but he had to go to a startup in Atlanta. The talent just isn't there to make money for the station.

Last edited by Wilson A2000 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 pm 

Wilson A2000 wrote:
The talent just isn't there to make money for the station.

I do think that Wayne Randazzo will get a baseball gig at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKETt04QF4U

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:03 pm 

He has the same smooth tenor as Cory Provus, for those who remember him. He'll do well.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:55 am 

I would rather see Rozner, Rosey or Hub get a fulltime gig than any of the producers

I honestly don't listen much-Reared On The Score Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:38 am

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:08 pm 

the ghost of t-dub wrote:
I would rather see Rozner, Rosey or Hub get a full-time gig than any of the producers

I agree. I don't think any of the producers are as good as any of those guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Thought about the original question for quite a bit the other day when during a transition there was some Heavy Fuel Crew reminiscing. Today, not even a handful of a producers host: Abbatacola, Finfer, Joe O, Shep. And out of those four, I only see Finfer being a full-time host, at least relatively soon compared to the other three. Abbatacola seems content being an EP, and if that's the case fine, we're not him.

In contrast...here are some producers at the Score from back in the day that are now reporters/hosts. Help me out here.

McNeil and Boers: Greenberg, Sirott
Murph and Fred: Spiegel, Abbatacola, Holmes
McNeil and Jiggets: Rogers, Holmes
Boers and Bernstein: Hood, Goff
McNeil and Spiegel: Finfer, Shep, Zawaski
Holmes: Joe O

Greenberg producing for Mac and Boers blows my mind every time given where Greenberg is now.

I think someone like Herb Lawrence could do well as a weekend host, but Mitch tends to give those spots to Rodewald and Hub, etc.

Last edited by RadioNerd on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Curious Hair wrote:
He has the same smooth tenor as Cory Provus, for those who remember him. He'll do well.

Didn't he go to San Diego or am I thinking of a different 5th inning Cubs guy?

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 pm 

Andy Masur went to the Padres after '06. He was replaced by Cory Provus, who went to the Brewers to do Uecker's off-innings (Jim Powell, who is very good, had left for Atlanta) and then went to the Twins to work full-time.

I liked Masur, but not Provus, who was just too whitebread. That he's the lead voice for the Twins really surprises me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RadioNerd wrote:
Thought about the original question for quite a bit the other day when during a transition there was some Heavy Fuel Crew reminiscing. Today, not even a handful of a producers host: Abbatacola, Finfer, Joe O, Shep. And out of those four, I only see Finfer being a full-time host, at least relatively soon compared to the other three. Abbatacola seems content being an EP, and if that's the case fine, we're not him.

In contrast...here are some producers at the Score from back in the day that are now reporters/hosts. Help me out here.

McNeil and Boers: Greenberg, Sirott
Murph and Fred: Spiegel, Abbatacola, Holmes
McNeil and Jiggets: Rogers, Holmes
Boers and Bernstein: Hood, Goff
McNeil and Spiegel: Finfer, Shep, Zawaski
Holmes: Joe O

Greenberg producing for Mac and Boers blows my mind every time given where Greenberg is now.

I think someone like Herb Lawrence could do well as a weekend host, but Mitch tends to give those spots to Rodewald and Hub, etc.

I go way back but do not recall Greenie as a producer but as a reporter/update sort.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Curious Hair wrote:
Andy Masur went to the Padres after '06. He was replaced by Cory Provus, who went to the Brewers to do Uecker's off-innings (Jim Powell, who is very good, had left for Atlanta) and then went to the Twins to work full-time.

I liked Masur, but not Provus, who was just too whitebread. That he's the lead voice for the Twins really surprises me.

Right on. Yeah I used to dig Masur. Agree on Provus....he seemed came across as a bit too gosh and golly. Sirott is solid.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Greenberg was a reporter. I don't recall him as a producer.

I don't see how being a radio producer makes you in any way prepared to be an on-air "personality." Although it worked for Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:25 am 

RadioNerd wrote:

Mitch has not been very good at nurturing young talent (hey, hey). I keep harping on it but the Score talent search should be a person in whom the station is devoting everything it can into making a radio professional. Instead, we get a farce of a tryout that ends up choosing someone already in the industry followed by a half hearted effort of giving the winner a chance. It is a waste of a golden opportunity.

He should also be looking for producers who project to some long term ability. Any monkey can answer calls, turn dials and get coffee. He needs to hire guys who display creativity in their producing. Instead we sit here with Who You Crapping dragging on into its third decade. Produce me some bits, landmark segments and entertaining interviews.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Look at all the full time on air gigs at WSCR and WMVP. How many of them came up the "producer tree?" Not many.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Mac, Spiegel, and Laurence all started as producers. They've done ok. It can be done.