It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Sausage
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-wgn-shakeup-20130820,0,1119987.story

Quote:
By Robert Channick
Tribune reporter
10:39 a.m. CDT, August 20, 2013

WGN radio is returning to its roots in an extensive shakeup of its lineup under general manager Jimmy De Castro.

The venerable station plans to roll out a new but familiar lineup beginning Sept. 3, bringing back WGN-AM 720 alumni that include Steve Cochran and Kathy & Judy.

RELATED
WGN Radio through the years
WGN Radio through the years
WGN shakeup
WGN shakeup
Kansas TV anchor to fill Sirott's spot at Ch. 32
Kansas TV anchor to fill Sirott's spot at Ch. 32
Ads by Google

Morning man Jonathon Brandmeier, who joined WGN two years ago, is being shifted to a new virtual FM station -- wgnfm.com -- while the station looks to buy an FM frequency in the next year.

"We're doing a lot of innovative stuff, but we're also honoring the tradition and expectations of WGN," De Castro said.

While the new AM lineup is not set, morning drive will go to Cochran, a former afternoon drive host at WGN who was cut loose after a decade during a 2010 shakeup by short-lived program director Kevin Metheny. Cochran joined low-rated WIND-AM 560 in 2011, exiting there to return to WGN on a freelance basis in July.

Longtime Chicago radio and TV veteran Bob Sirott announced Monday that he is leaving Fox 32 (WFLD-Ch.32) to host a weekday radio show on WGN with his wife, Marianne Murciano. The most likely timeslot is noon to 3 p.m., according to De Castro, the former architect of WLUP-FM.

Former Loop personality Garry Meier will remain in afternoon drive from 3 to 7 p.m., but will be partnered with a co-host, according to De Castro.

Overnight man Bill Leff will likely take the reins from 9 to noon, also paired with a co-host.

Kathy O'Malley and Judy Markey, the popular "Girlfriends" midday duo ousted after 20 years in 2009, are also coming back to host a weekly Saturday show from 10 a.m. to noon.

WGN is owned by Tribune company, which also owns the Chicago Tribune.

rchannick@tribune.com | Twitter @RobertChannick
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:06 pm 

If anyone can get Dahl and Meier back together, it is DeCastro...otherwise, why would you keep Meier in place if you were trying to shake things up?

At the same time, you cannot be innovative and move Bill Leff into regular hours of the day. He is the most incipit radio host this side of Harry. How are all these guys who presumably had some kind of career in comedy like Leff, Harry, Spike Manton, etc. be so painfully unfunny and as edgy as a butter knife

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I agree if anyone can put Dahl and Meiers back together it's DeCastro but I don't see it happening . Wouldn't Dahl be relegated to second banana at this point in his career ? No way his ego absorbs that. Like him or not Garry has carved out a niche for himself and has stayed somewhat relevant the last decade or so while Steve has taken up golf and podcasting. The partnership would have to be on more equal footing than it was before which was one of the reasons they broke up the first time . That said I'd give it a listen if it were to come to pass.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
I would rather be second banana on the air than talking to the wifes trinkets and stuffed animals in the living room.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Why give Meier a co-host? He's got Elton Jim and it seems every time I tune in he's talking to Skilling anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Quote:
Morning man Jonathon Brandmeier, who joined WGN two years ago, is being shifted to a new virtual FM station --

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
If it's virtual, how is it FM?

But seriously, this means my once-beloved i101 is probably in the crosshairs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
badrogue17 wrote:
I agree if anyone can put Dahl and Meiers back together it's DeCastro but I don't see it happening . Wouldn't Dahl be relegated to second banana at this point in his career ? No way his ego absorbs that. Like him or not Garry has carved out a niche for himself and has stayed somewhat relevant the last decade or so while Steve has taken up golf and podcasting. The partnership would have to be on more equal footing than it was before which was one of the reasons they broke up the first time . That said I'd give it a listen if it were to come to pass.

At one time,the funniest two guys ever on Radio. The problem being what they used to make fun of,they have become!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
From Feder:

"Others said to be on deCastro's "wish list" include such big names as Steve Dahl, Roe Conn and John Williams. Stay tuned for more."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:42 pm 

Bringing back Steve Cochran and John Williams? Why not just exhume Bob Collins's corpse?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:42 pm 

Bring back Bob Collins!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:43 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Bring back Bob Collins!!

Zombie Bob in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Nick Digilio is being shifted over to a new virtual HAM radio set up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:51 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
From Feder:

"Others said to be on deCastro's "wish list" include such big names as Steve Dahl, Roe Conn and John Williams. Stay tuned for more."

2/3 of that list are radio partners Meiers has already walked away from

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 pm 

Oh man, they're giving Pete McMurray his eighth, ninth, millionth shot at a show. What has that guy ever done but be around?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:55 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Oh man, they're giving Pete McMurray his eighth, ninth, millionth shot at a show. What has that guy ever done but be around?

He's the loogy of radio hosts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
I would be in favor of Roe Conn and Garry being reunited. They had a really good show on WLS, I was sorry to see it go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:31 pm 

Last time I heard Roe, he was having someone from the Cubs on to talk about the plans for renovating Wrigley. All he did was squawk that the Cubs owned the property! so they should be able to do whatever they want! IMEANCOMEON! NYAH! It was an affront to the ashes of journalism. I mean, I know it's 890, but you owe it to your listeners to ask one, ONE question that might put your guest on his toes. You shouldn't be arguing your guest's points more fervently than your guest. What a fuckin' asshole.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:47 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
Quote:
Morning man Jonathon Brandmeier, who joined WGN two years ago, is being shifted to a new virtual FM station --

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that is rough for Johnny B. The guy peaked way to early in life and he really cannot even seem to coast into retirement

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 pm 

Johnny B. tries to cover serious topics but keeps it "wacky". It's very strange.
Roe Conn whores himself out to that terrible "Good Morning Chicago" on ABC. He basically plays 2nd fiddle to the android looking MF'er Ryan Chiverini .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
good dolphin wrote:
At the same time, you cannot be innovative and move Bill Leff into regular hours of the day. He is the most incipit radio host this side of Harry. How are all these guys who presumably had some kind of career in comedy like Leff, Harry, Spike Manton, etc. be so painfully unfunny and as edgy as a butter knife

Yeah, Bill Leff is terrible. So bland and vanilla. Cochran and Williams suck, too. I'm even starting to sour on Nick D. Every goddamn call with a dude ends with Nick saying, "Thanks, man." It's beyond irritating.

Looks like DeCastro is trying to make 'GN as lame as it was when I was a kid. Not that it was ever hip, but with Johnny B and Garry, I could at least tune in and bear to listen every once in awhile. The nostalgia of remembering how much I liked those guys years ago is cool every once in awhile.

Saw Roe Conn waiting for his car at the valet at Arlington Park on Saturday. I didn't see the face of the woman he was with, but let's just say, she was wearing a very form fitting dress and doing it proud. Based on her ass alone, she had to have been 20 years younger than him. God bless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Well the important thing is Fuck Mike McConnell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
KDdidit wrote:
Well the important thing is Fuck Mike McConnell

:salut:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
jimmypasta wrote:
Johnny B. tries to cover serious topics but keeps it "wacky". It's very strange.
Roe Conn whores himself out to that terrible "Good Morning Chicago" on ABC. He basically plays 2nd fiddle to the android looking MF'er Ryan Chiverini .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:23 pm 

The WGN-FM branding looks a little like the old AM1000 branding: red/white/black, type set in Haettenschweiler (Impact's big brother). That should be a hint to what they aspire to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
The WGN-FM branding looks a little like the old AM1000 branding: red/white/black, type set in Haettenschweiler (Impact's big brother). That should be a hint to what they aspire to.

A Harry and Spike reunion can't be far behind.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

A Harry and Spike reunion can't be far behind.

I'm not so sure about that. Tribune Company has to sell the newspaper first before they even think about acquiring one or both of the rumored Merlin Media stations, even though they continue to insist neither 97.9 The Loop nor I101 are for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:31 pm 

I was under the impression that by spinning off its broadcast operations from its newspaper operations, they'd be able to buy FM stations in the market. That's not quite the same as selling, because they don't have to find a buyer. They can just split the company.

Or they can ask the FCC for special dispensation! That seems to work nowadays when you're a big corporation!

EDIT: they can also pursue the "local marketing agreement" loophole, where someone else owns 101.1 on paper while Tribune operates it. That's what CBS did in New York when they wanted to put WFAN on FM but weren't allowed to own any more stations in the market.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
I was under the impression that by spinning off its broadcast operations from its newspaper operations, they'd be able to buy FM stations in the market. That's not quite the same as selling, because they don't have to find a buyer. They can just split the company.

Or they can ask the FCC for special dispensation! That seems to work nowadays when you're a big corporation!

CH, from what I've read, Tribune Company is planning to spin off its newspaper/media operations into two companies. That might pave the way for a possible WGN-FM to become a reality at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
SHARK !!!!!! :D :D :D