It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I felt bad last night for Nick DeGilio. He had Bill Leff on who said good bye to his night time audience. Nick than continually repeated through the night that WGN will announce a new night time host in the next few days. I could hear the pain in his voice. Last night,he was talking about favorite bad kid cereals. Very mini-ditka-ish. He does come up with some fun pop culture subjects but it seems he never takes them anywhere. I used to listen to him years ago. I don't know if he got better or not. Also,his two movie guys suck. A lot of "Ahhh...Ehhh" when they try to describe a movie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Maybe doing overnights will force him to get some new material. I think he's gotten all the mileage he could get out of Dumb Bad Pop Culture and then some. Alternatively, he'll just beat "hey, remember Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?" to an even pulpier pulp and flame out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:23 am 

Rick Kogan back to WGN to do Sunday nights, as the Old Town School rejoices.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Wendy Snyder 9-12 weekdays.

She is good people and i hope it works out for her.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:47 am 

Co-hosting with Bill Leff. Kind of odd to have them lead into Bob Sirott and his wife. I'm guessing they'll move to WGN-FM when that happens.

So Nick D is only getting the ass end of overnights, with Pete McMurray doing 10p-2a or something. Also kind of an odd move. Nick might actually benefit from a co-host to keep him from mining the well-mined depths of "remember sugary breakfast cereals?"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:50 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Co-hosting with Bill Leff. Kind of odd to have them lead into Bob Sirott and his wife. I'm guessing they'll move to WGN-FM when that happens.

So Nick D is only getting the ass end of overnights, with Pete McMurray doing 10p-2a or something. Also kind of an odd move. Nick might actually benefit from a co-host to keep him from mining the well-mined depths of "remember sugary breakfast cereals?"

Yeah,I've been listening a lot lately. Nick does a lot of that. He seems like he can come up with some fun pop culture subjects but never takes it anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
jimmypasta wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah,I've been listening a lot lately. Nick does a lot of that. He seems like he can come up with some fun pop culture subjects but never takes it anywhere.

Nick D + Mini Ditka = Match

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
jimmypasta wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Everything is "Amazing" or "Sucks" with this guy. He exhibits the worst traits of Generation X posturing and demeanor. Irony for irony's sake, false modesty, insincere self-loathing. I can't get my head around how Tall Midget digs this guy. I think he's terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:41 pm 

Really Being Into Horror Movies is one of those things I will never understand as long as I live. See also: calculus, golf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:12 pm 

He has had a regular spot for years, and I'd argue the old time slots (10 to 1 or so Friday-Sunday) were actually better than what he'll have now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Good to hear Rick Kogan back in the line up (9 p.m. - 11 p.m. on Sundays) starting Sept 15. He was missed...

The bitter old broads, Kathy & Judy - keep it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:19 pm 

Trying really hard to like Steve Cochran's morning show. After only one week... it's just okay - IMO. However, I am enjoying the supporting staff more than him at this time. Anyone else giving it a listen?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:44 pm 

In all honesty, Cochran is a better fit for mornings than Brandmeier if they're really going to commit to hitting news/weather/traffic/sports/ag every hour. He's vanilla enough not to need long segments, and he knows WGN well enough to facilitate all the moving parts. I wonder how soon they can get control of 101.1 and put Brandmeier back on the air. I don't know if the LMA is an option.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:56 pm 

Curious - I can't disagree with what you said. It may take me a while to get used to Cochran but in the mean time I will keep an open mind. "Vanilla" is a very accurate description for Steve.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:07 pm 

WGN screwed up by trying to have it both ways with Brandmeier: they wanted to have a real morning show personality after Greg Jarrett (who, as much as the Chicago radio geeks hated him, seemed to get good ratings...), but they were too scared to cede the entire news radio audience to 780, so they wound up with the radio chimera of Johnny B doing wacky shit for five minutes before he had to throw to Orion Samuelson. Maybe they should have tried Johnny in the golden hammock of middays before banishing him to Webio Mark 2.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:13 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
In all honesty, Cochran is a better fit for mornings than Brandmeier if they're really going to commit to hitting news/weather/traffic/sports/ag every hour. He's vanilla enough not to need long segments, and he knows WGN well enough to facilitate all the moving parts. I wonder how soon they can get control of 101.1 and put Brandmeier back on the air. I don't know if the LMA is an option.

I would love that. Bring back Kevin Matthews,Steve & Garry. Why not?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:15 pm 

I don't know, maybe because we ought not to live in 1990 forever?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:22 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't know, maybe because we ought not to live in 1990 forever?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:29 pm 

Though I will say, sometimes I wonder if hot talk as a terrestrial format is dead and gone, completely replaced by FCC-free podcasts. The idea of having a new generation of The Loop is enticing, but it could be that what they did back then was lightning in a bottle, such a product of the right people coming together at the right time that it can't ever be replicated. Still, it would be nice if they at least tried creating some new voices before pulling a 'CKG and just trotting out a Brandmeier/Kev/Dahl lineup as if the world hasn't changed since they set it on fire. I mean, shit, why not bring back Danny Bonaduce while you're at it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:33 pm 

Don't forget the 1st version of Dan Bernstein,Ed Tyll.

CH,
Yes,it would be nice if they found some "new funny". Right now,I think the funniest guy on a podcast is Ralph Garmin out of LA. He does a weekly one with Kevin Smith.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:
I mean, shit, why not bring back Danny Bonaduce while you're at it?

Better hurry. When I was in Seattle in March, he was doing mornings at one of the FMs, and sounded like he was one meth binge from the grave.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:03 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
the grave.

DIG THAT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:39 pm 

I've noticed that Steve Cochran rarely takes any callers on the air. Brandmeier use to talk to callers on the air all the time.

Anybody else notice that Andrea Darlas has been pulling "Hanley's" a lot lately?.. Interrupting, finishing sentences for other people and stepping all over people while they are talking...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:55 pm 

Maybe he's just getting back into the groove of doing morning drive first. He took callers on his old midday show, but it was always in that particular WGN way where you get a few seconds to talk, they give you a Lobstergram, and that's that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Bruno's
Steve Dahl on WGN?

Dahl used to go after "GN" mercilessly on his shows, especially Wally Phillips and Ed Schwartz. To this day, Tinley Park reminds me of his "lady from Tinley Park" satire at Phillips' expense. Pretty funny stuff. And his treatment of Schwartz, wow...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:46 pm 

GOIrishND wrote:
Steve Dahl on WGN?

Dahl used to go after "GN" mercilessly on his shows, especially Wally Phillips and Ed Schwartz. To this day, Tinley Park reminds me of his "lady from Tinley Park" satire at Phillips' expense. Pretty funny stuff. And his treatment of Schwartz, wow...

His 'GN work used to make me laugh really,really hard. The way he did Eddy's voice (so did Garry,I think). It was spot on. They ripped them hard,that's for sure. I remember some guy calling in saying he was Wall's nephew and arguing that Phillips didn't wear a Toup! good stuff. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Bruno's
Remember when Steve used to talk about the large trash can Eddie Schwartz kept in the studio? Whoo--ee -- I'd be surprised if WGN would let that kind of "bathroom humor" go on unchecked...!

"Oh Wally" -- and I remember the lisp or whistle sound very well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 am 

Tuesday morning in the dark
I called you up from Tinley Park
said that we are going away
even though my husbands gay
I want to know the weather
in Intercourse, P-A!
Oh, Wally

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
good dolphin wrote:
Tuesday morning in the dark
I called you up from Tinley Park
said that we are going away
even though my husbands gay
I want to know the weather
in Intercourse, P-A!
Oh, Wally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgVqL4jFuPM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
$300,000 a year wasn't a recession contract back then!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next