It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Bruno's
I never thought I'd live to see the day when WGN Radio would try to appeal to a less staid demographic.

They may not fully realize what they're in for -- for example, their competition once had a joke involving Andy Avalos, saying something to the effect that his contract required a Taco Bell franchise to exist across the street. The watchdogs for political correctness could be a real problem...!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
You know, people pay a lot of attention to the fall of WGN, but no one has nearly as much to say about the fall of WLS, a station that is unmatched in its contempt for its audience and the world at large.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Haven't regularly listened to the Big 89 since Roe & Garry split. I tune in here and there but they can't hold my attention too long. Roeper was gone a few times and Dahl was pinch hitting, No matter what he said - humorous or not - the traffic gal laughed way too long. Sorry to hear about Don Wade. I always admire true passion and he had that every day. I grew out of my Rush phase so he is like nails on the chalkboard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Godfella wrote:
Haven't regularly listened to the Big 89 since Roe & Garry split. I tune in here and there but they can't hold my attention too long. Roeper was gone a few times and Dahl was pinch hitting, No matter what he said - humorous or not - the traffic gal laughed way too long. Sorry to hear about Don Wade. I always admire true passion and he had that every day. I grew out of my Rush phase so he is like nails on the chalkboard.

How about Dennis Miller on 560 AM?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
jimmypasta wrote:
Godfella wrote:

I caught about 3.5 minutes of DM a few weeks ago. He sounded like he was on a morphine drip.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:35 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Godfella wrote:

Jimmy - not much of a DM fan, to be honest. I like the 670/720 options for morning drive. When Brandmeier got too silly. I switched to Mully & Hanley. When Hanley gets too interruptive or Mully starts screaming too loud, I had options. I'm starting to warm up to Cochran. I really enjoy Dave Eanet with sports - love Northwestern football. Andrea Darlas is good with the news and her recent input (see my earlier post - she was getting a bit annoying with all her interruptions), Orion is a legend and the Van Develde gal on traffic is solid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
I agree if anyone can put Dahl and Meiers back together it's DeCastro but I don't see it happening . Wouldn't Dahl be relegated to second banana at this point in his career ? No way his ego absorbs that. Like him or not Garry has carved out a niche for himself and has stayed somewhat relevant the last decade or so while Steve has taken up golf and podcasting. The partnership would have to be on more equal footing than it was before which was one of the reasons they broke up the first time . That said I'd give it a listen if it were to come to pass.

Steve & Garry will never work together again. Way to much animosity on both sides. Meier's wife hates Dahl, and Garry is pussywhipped beyond repair. It would never work. Dahl is happy with what he is doing, and while I love Garry, he's done. I listened last week, and he was doing a bit on slang names for drugs. I heard Roe and him do this 15 years ago. He's doing recycled, old shit. He lost his fastball years ago. I'm glad he's making a living, but as a 35 year fan, it's kind of sad. I'm sorry, but it ain't gonna happen. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to come here and admit it. I don't see that happening though.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:05 pm 

Johnathan Brandmeier was absolutely the opposite of funny in his comeback attempt

I mean, it was the worst radio I have ever heard.

No joke, Score overnight contest winners are better

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Yea, Johhny B in the morning on WGN was God awful.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Johnathan Brandmeier was absolutely the opposite of funny in his comeback attempt

Buzz still laughed though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 pm 

On Sunday Nights,comedian Patty Vasquez is on (11-2AM). Last night she had Chicago comic,Larry Reeb. I enjoyed listening until I dozed off. Bill Leff & Wendy Snyder (Is she from WLUP?) are on now daily. She has a sexy voice,I remember her.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 am 

Dallas Winston wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
I agree if anyone can put Dahl and Meiers back together it's DeCastro but I don't see it happening . Wouldn't Dahl be relegated to second banana at this point in his career ? No way his ego absorbs that. Like him or not Garry has carved out a niche for himself and has stayed somewhat relevant the last decade or so while Steve has taken up golf and podcasting. The partnership would have to be on more equal footing than it was before which was one of the reasons they broke up the first time . That said I'd give it a listen if it were to come to pass.

Steve & Garry will never work together again. Way to much animosity on both sides. Meier's wife hates Dahl, and Garry is pussywhipped beyond repair. It would never work. Dahl is happy with what he is doing, and while I love Garry, he's done. I listened last week, and he was doing a bit on slang names for drugs. I heard Roe and him do this 15 years ago. He's doing recycled, old shit. He lost his fastball years ago. I'm glad he's making a living, but as a 35 year fan, it's kind of sad. I'm sorry, but it ain't gonna happen. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to come here and admit it. I don't see that happening though.

I remember hearing something about Dahl constantly calling and pranking Garry Meier's hotel room while he was on his honeymoon. Waking them up at all hours and putting the calls on the air while Garry was away. This was obviously towards the end of their partnership or maybe the beginning of the end? Can anybody fill in the blanks or correct my story? I have also heard that Meier's wife loathes Dahl so that would be a major hurdle for a reunion... which I agree is doubtful. However, if a check has enough zeroes, who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I don't remember prank calls but Dahl definitely broke bad on his wife and all while they were on honeymoon. I think Garry never came back on the air upon his return. Aside from that was the financial arrangement that his wife hated and may have started it. The station paid Dahl x amount of dollars like a million and then Steve paid Garry out of that. Money/contract issues and his wife also led to the Roe breakup from what I understand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 am 

Thanks, pm. I think one of the mistakes Garry (or his wife) made was thinking that he was on equal footing with Roe Conn @ WLS. Conn is and has been the corporate golden child over there for a looong time. However, I did like Conn & Meier's show when they were rolling. Remember the classic old lady caller, Rose? She was a big Clinton lover and was convinced all those women who were accusing Clinton of his sexual antics were all "Sluts!" Funny stuff. I like Garry's imitations of Eddie and Cliff... can't help it but this cracks me up every time - especially with the Roger Whitaker music bed. "We know return to Bozoth Thircuth already in progreth..."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:56 am 

Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The one segment I remember was before the first Pats-Giants Super Bowl where he was reading off the names of Football named dishes

like Randy Moss-tocoli or Plaxinachos

He was laughing at these things like they were George Carlin and Richard Pryor in their primes

It still hurts my soul to think about

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:11 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The one segment I remember was before the first Pats-Giants Super Bowl where he was reading off the names of Football named dishes

He was laughing at these things like they were George Carlin and Richard Pryor in their primes

I just picture Buzz being getting baked before every show. It seems like he finds the world funny, which is a great perspective to have on life. The guy is pushing 70.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:13 am 

Godfella wrote:
Thanks, pm. I think one of the mistakes Garry (or his wife) made was thinking that he was on equal footing with Roe Conn @ WLS. Conn is and has been the corporate golden child over there for a looong time. However, I did like Conn & Meier's show when they were rolling. Remember the classic old lady caller, Rose? She was a big Clinton lover and was convinced all those women who were accusing Clinton of his sexual antics were all "Sluts!" Funny stuff. I like Garry's imitations of Eddie and Cliff... can't help it but this cracks me up every time - especially with the Roger Whitaker music bed. "We know return to Bozoth Thircuth already in progreth..."

but that is classic Meier, he created neither of those characters...he was a happy second banana until he got married and his real estate agent wife decided that her backround also qualified her as a talent agent. She should have gone into business with BeBe North.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:14 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I just picture Buzz being getting baked before every show. It seems like he finds the world funny, which is a great perspective to have on life. The guy is pushing 70.

Buzz has been in AA forever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:18 am 

pittmike wrote:
I don't remember prank calls but Dahl definitely broke bad on his wife and all while they were on honeymoon. I think Garry never came back on the air upon his return. Aside from that was the financial arrangement that his wife hated and may have started it. The station paid Dahl x amount of dollars like a million and then Steve paid Garry out of that. Money/contract issues and his wife also led to the Roe breakup from what I understand.

I remember that. Dahl and Janet both were teasing the Meiers while they were on their honeymoon. Meier's wife took it as an opportunity to pounce. Meier tried to portray it that they disrespected him. He also made a big deal about Dahl being an alcoholic which lead to Meier having to start many shows on his own before Dahl strolled in late. The way I remember it, the show never seemed like it began until Dahl got there anyway.

The whole thing was really about money, as Meier has proven time and again over his career since his wife began representing him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 am 

Sounds like the Dahl/Meier thing was fubar but the Roe & Garry partnership could have went on for a long time if it was not all about the money. I didn't realize that Garry's wife was that involved with the money issues regarding his career. Shame - sounds like they could have had a good long run together @ WLS.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:38 am 

Took me a while to accept Garry back but once I did I listened to him, Roe, Jim and Christina a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:24 am 
1000 CLUB

Dahl calling Garry's wife a Caller Bob at the pre wedding dinner probably didn't help much either. :lol:

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:33 am 

Dallas Winston wrote:
Dahl calling Garry's wife a Caller Bob at the pre wedding dinner probably didn't help much either. :lol:

:lol: Well you never know what happens behind the scenes but with Steve off coke and booze maybe amends have been made.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:34 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
pittmike wrote:
I don't remember prank calls but Dahl definitely broke bad on his wife and all while they were on honeymoon. I think Garry never came back on the air upon his return.

That is correct.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
she wanted a 50/50 split of $$ which is absurd.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 am 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 am 

pittmike wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Buzz has been in AA forever.

Really? He always talked about drinking tequila at his gigs and having it on stage. This wasn't that long ago.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:05 am 

Maybe he quit? :lol: I recall him and Steve talking about sobriety.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 am 

Interesting stuff about Dahl/Conn/Meier - thanks for filling in the blanks, guys. I wish WGN would put Rick Kogan back on early Sunday mornings instead of 9:00 p.m. on Sunday nights. He is good radio.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Godfella wrote:
Remember the classic old lady caller, Rose? She was a big Clinton lover and was convinced all those women who were accusing Clinton of his sexual antics were all "Sluts!" Funny stuff.

Wasn't Rose the same person as Caller Ann?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next