It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
According to Deadspin:

Quote:
So, why did Magic make his sudden announcement that he's leaving ESPN, less than three weeks before the NBA season begins? An announcement so sudden that the newest addition to NBA Countdown, Doris Burke, appeared to have had no idea it was going down?

ESPN sources tell us that Johnson's departure was the result of an old-fashioned power war, with one very clear winner: Bill Simmons. "It's Simmons's show now," said one source.

http://deadspin.com/sources-magic-johnson-left-espn-because-of-bill-simmon-1443543687

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Is he positive?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:52 pm 

The 8 year old Celtics fan in Simmons has to love this

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Don Tiny wrote:
Is he positive?

:lol: :lol:

You are dangerously close to winning the internet today my friend.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Don Tiny wrote:
Is he positive?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don Tiny wrote:
Is he positive?

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I am now more of a fan of Bill Simmons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Don Tiny wrote:
Is he positive?

http://video.adultswim.com/family-guy/f ... -aids.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

To be fair, Doris Burke never knows what the hell is going on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
the problem is that Wilbon shouldn't be gone. It should be Rose that's gone. It's just weird for him to moderate the show. It feels forced and off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Not really a fan of Simmons, but Magic is about as interesting as watching paint dry. I wouldn't notice his absence had there been no announcement of his departure. At least Rose is articulate and has an original thought here and there. Can't say the same for Magic, and Wilbon is even worse because he's paid for the alleged journalistic credibility he brings to the show, but he's as banal as they come.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:04 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
To be fair, Doris Burke never knows what the hell is going on.

She's for pluggin', not for huggin'.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Don Tiny wrote:
Is he positive?

You are a wonderfully horrible person.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
Is he positive?

:lol: :lol:

You are dangerously close to winning the internet today my friend.

Agreed. He's attained that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
City of Fools wrote:

Agreed. Magic might be a great greeter at the front door, but thats about it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:02 am 
1000 CLUB

Keeping Score wrote:
bigfan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Can't do any worse than he did at the back door.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:12 am 

bigfan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

for the life of me, I cannot figure out how that guy hasn't been taken for every dollar he has earned. Cookie must be a fantastic accountant and money manager.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
good dolphin wrote:
bigfan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

for the life of me, I cannot figure out how that guy hasn't been taken for every dollar he has earned. Cookie must be a fantastic accountant and money manager.

You assume that Magic Johnson is a dumb guy just because he isn't eloquent on television. Why do you make that assumption?

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
bigfan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

You assume that Magic Johnson is a dumb guy just because he isn't eloquent on television. Why do you make that assumption?

The most obvious answer is that facility with language is often equated with intelligence. It has been pretty much since the beginning of time. Those who can read, write and speak well are very often the leaders of the tribe.

In Magic's case I back that with little complexity of thought displayed in his commentary even beyond NBA analysis, a personality that could not temper his basest desires despite the harm it caused to him and others and a fairly slow wit in extemporaneous situations.

Is there some other evidence that should sway my opinion other than that he has money?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:14 am 

good dolphin wrote:
bigfan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

You don't find it strange for a brother to spend considerable quality time with a broad who calls herself "cookie"?

:D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:15 am 

Don Tiny wrote:
You don't find it strange for a brother to spend considerable quality time with a broad who calls herself "cookie"?

I would if I had the opportunity.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:18 am 

Don Tiny wrote:

I would if I had the opportunity.

Even KS would.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

The most obvious answer is that facility with language is often equated with intelligence. It has been pretty much since the beginning of time. Those who can read, write and speak well are very often the leaders of the tribe.

In Magic's case I back that with little complexity of thought displayed in his commentary even beyond NBA analysis, a personality that could not temper his basest desires despite the harm it caused to him and others and a fairly slow wit in extemporaneous situations.

Is there some other evidence that should sway my opinion other than that he has money?

I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't equate intelligence with articulateness; it obviously is tied to one's ability to process information, but there are several thousands of absolutely brilliant folks who fail in being ably to convey that intelligence in eloquent and cogent verbal speech. Just anecdotally I know of several computer scientists and engineers who can't write or speak well if their life depending on it, but they are absolutely brilliant in their own fields despite the absence of articulate speech. On the other hand, we know of several smooth-talking politicians who are as dumb as bricks and, since you brought up Magic's indiscretions, quite unethical as well, although I realize we're not talking about knowingly or unknowingly spreading AIDS here.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't equate intelligence with articulateness; it obviously is tied to one's ability to process information, but there are several thousands of absolutely brilliant folks who fail in being ably to convey that intelligence in eloquent and cogent verbal speech. Just anecdotally I know of several computer scientists and engineers who can't write or speak well if their life depending on it, but they are absolutely brilliant in their own fields despite the absence of articulate speech. On the other hand, we know of several smooth-talking politicians who are as dumb as bricks and, since you brought up Magic's indiscretions, quite unethical as well, although I realize we're not talking about knowingly or unknowingly spreading AIDS here.

Thumbs up on such a logical post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
at least i'll be spared from seeing wilbon namedropping "earvin" enough times to be considered "a thing." it's prolly this lil psychological tick in wilbon's head that since he's "made it" in life and he's very successful in his chosen profession that he's of a level where he knows "earvin" as opposed to the "magic" that the general public knows. his emphasis on "earvin" throughout the last few years has been enough to convince me that wilbon's trying to cope with working in the viscinity of one of his heroes.

bill simmons tho? goddamn..... does america really want bill simmons there as opposed to magic johnson, a man who truly didn't live up to the name in one very cash-infused sense?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:19 am 
1000 CLUB

I have known some incredibly intelligent people at my day job in healthcare, most of whom have absolutely no idea how to form a complete written sentence. I don't think articulation equates intelligence in the least.

Magic might not have been the most well-spoken television commentator/host in the world, but his real-world basketball experience is absolutely higher than that of a guy who wrote a book on the history of basketball. If I want a historian of the game spewing information at me, I certainly would not be going to ESPN for that information.

Having an appreciation and understanding of a game's history is all fine and good, but when I tune in to a game I want real, "been there done that" analysis from someone who excelled at that sport. Magic offered that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:50 am 

I have known some incredibly intelligent people at my day job in healthcare, most of whom have absolutely no idea how to form a complete written sentence. I don't think articulation equates intelligence in the least.

Magic might not have been the most well-spoken television commentator/host in the world, but his real-world basketball experience is absolutely higher than that of a guy who wrote a book on the history of basketball. If I want a historian of the game spewing information at me, I certainly would not be going to ESPN for that information.

Having an appreciation and understanding of a game's history is all fine and good, but when I tune in to a game I want real, "been there done that" analysis from someone who excelled at that sport. Magic offered that.

I feel exactly opposite and Magic's inability to articulate his experiences have always been a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:53 am 

Plenty of former players are great analysts of the game. Magic rarely has anything insightful to add to any broadcast. He's bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:14 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'll generalize again in my rebuttal to say that while there are anecdotal instances to the contrary, intelligence is generally not compartmentalized so that a person is ONLY strong in communicative abilities or ONLY able in science. Your savants exist but the much more likely scenario is that an intelligent person is intelligent across the board with one area standing out above the others.