It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

I'll generalize again in my rebuttal to say that while there are anecdotal instances to the contrary, intelligence is generally not compartmentalized so that a person is ONLY strong in communicative abilities or ONLY able in science. Your savants exist but the much more likely scenario is that an intelligent person is intelligent across the board with one area standing out above the others.

I'll agree about compartmentalization, but measuring intelligence is a highly subjective process anyway. In any case, communicative abilities should definitely factor into any discussion about intelligence, but communication is not limited to the act of verbal speech.

And if Magic is as inarticulate as you and I think he is, he must be pretty smart actually, in non-verbal ways, for holding down that ESPN job for as long as he did.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:23 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'll generalize again in my rebuttal to say that while there are anecdotal instances to the contrary, intelligence is generally not compartmentalized so that a person is ONLY strong in communicative abilities or ONLY able in science. Your savants exist but the much more likely scenario is that an intelligent person is intelligent across the board with one area standing out above the others.

I'll agree about compartmentalization, but measuring intelligence is a highly subjective process anyway. In any case, communicative abilities should definitely factor into any discussion about intelligence, but communication is not limited to the act of verbal speech.

And if Magic is as inarticulate as you and I think he is, he must be pretty smart actually, in non-verbal ways, for holding down that ESPN job for as long as he did.

must be, Jesse Palmer as well and Coach is downright Einstienian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
I agree. To share a workplace with luminaries like Sean Salisbury and Skip Bayless should immediately qualify you for MENSA without any other requirements needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
doris burke or kerry sayers.... who has the least attractive sounding voice? I cant decide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Keeping Score wrote:
Magic Johnson never came across like a dummy on my tv. The only slight little problem I ever had was his tie in to the Lakers. But then again, I thought he handled that rather professionally too.

I wouldn't say he came across like a dummy, he was rather bland and uninteresting, at least to me. But then again I think all pregame shows are worthless anyway, so it's not like he or anyone can really make a name for him or herself there in the first place. I just got tired of him (and it wasn't only him) deferring to cliched statements like "What has to happen is the Lakers have really got to step up and own the third quarter before things get out of control" that were passed off as "expert" analysis. That's the kind of stuff amateurs say to each other in the stands while watching the game, and not what I think should be expected from a paid analyst/commentator.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:04 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
Magic Johnson never came across like a dummy on my tv. The only slight little problem I ever had was his tie in to the Lakers. But then again, I thought he handled that rather professionally too.

I wouldn't say he came across like a dummy, he was rather bland and uninteresting, at least to me. But then again I think all pregame shows are worthless anyway, so it's not like he or anyone can really make a name for him or herself there in the first place. I just got tired of him (and it wasn't only him) deferring to cliched statements like "What has to happen is the Lakers have really got to step up and own the third quarter before things get out of control" that were passed off as "expert" analysis. That's the kind of stuff amateurs say to each other in the stands while watching the game, and not what I think should be expected from a paid analyst/commentator.

I thought he came off most poorly on his television show

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
here's an easy test for NBA analysts. Are they:

a) As good as Charles Barkley? If not, are they
b) As good as Kenny Smith?

If not a) or b) they should be fired.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:23 pm 

I received no hand clapping for my logical rebuttal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:25 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

that's because you quoted both quotes in your rebuttal, of which only one were you really rebutting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:30 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

that's because you quoted both quotes in your rebuttal, of which only one were you really rebutting.

I needed context, my man.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:31 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

you rebutted Keeping Score but quoted vegasfan in the same post, which made it look as though you were rebutting him too. What, were you reared on the Score?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Edgy COF is fun.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:35 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

you rebutted Keeping Score but quoted vegasfan in the same post, which made it look as though you were rebutting him too. What, were you reared on the Score?

Please don't ever type that again. I've changed.

1-877-COS SURGERY! C O S COS SURGERY! 1-877 COS SURGERY! RE-BUTT YOURSELF TODAY!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:36 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It's my thing here, my signature move.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:56 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:

The most obvious answer is that facility with language is often equated with intelligence. It has been pretty much since the beginning of time. Those who can read, write and speak well are very often the leaders of the tribe.

In Magic's case I back that with little complexity of thought displayed in his commentary even beyond NBA analysis, a personality that could not temper his basest desires despite the harm it caused to him and others and a fairly slow wit in extemporaneous situations.

Is there some other evidence that should sway my opinion other than that he has money?

Despite all of that he appears to my great business decisions. I understand what you're saying but some rules aren't universal.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

Mind you own damn business! -VP Walz