It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:45 am 
1000 CLUB

Spiegel chides drinky for saying hello to himself and Mac before he begins his update shift. Drinky shoots back saying "Yeah, you're right. Co workers shouldn't be friendly."

I will say this, drink comes from a show that hates when callers say hello and ask the hosts how they're doing. Drinky, himself, probably instructs the callers not to ask how B&B are doing. Yet drinky does it with Mac and Spiegs. Some irony in that. Spiegs should give drinky the Bernstein treatment.

Spiegel: We're fine, drinky!!!!! Still fine!!!! Still good!!!! We were good yesterday. We were good 2 days ago!!!! We're still good today!!!! Guess what? We're gonna be good tomorrow as well!!!! Oy fucking vey!!!!

So then drinky tries to dis Spiegel by directly asking Mac a question. Drinky says, "Hey Mac, gonna watch the football game tonight? Who do you like tonight?" Mac is polite, engages in the pointless banter, answers the question, but you can tell he's annoyed and doesn't like stupid, forced conversation with the update guy. He wants drink to do the update and leave the talk show hosting to the talk show hosts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 am 

are you saying you know how we feel when you start a thread?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
And the bad poster trolls prove my point....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Nope. Another great post by Beardown. The rude dismissal of what most people would consider normal everyday plesantries by bernstein icaptures his entire misanthropic persona in a nutshell. Nice to see drinky get it in return.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Call me crazy if you will, Mac and Spiegel look at drinky as one of Bernstein's and thus the enemy!!! I think drinky feels this way even though he'll never admit it. He always sounds nervous when he tries to talk to Mac and Spiegel. Like he's aware that they don't like it but he still tries to force some stupid conversation cuz he has a need for attention and he wants Mac, in particular, to like him. He's not the full of himself, cocky, ass hat that we hear on the B&B show.

It's weird. It's irrational. It's insecurity. It's paranoia But these are Score people. Weird, irrational, insecure and paranoid people work at the Score as we all know. So it actually makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nope. Another great post by Beardown. The rude dismissal of what most people would consider normal everyday plesantries by bernstein icaptures his entire misanthropic persona in a nutshell. Nice to see drinky get it in return.

You truly are the defender of the less fortunate even if they come in mult form!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

In fact, that's exactly what's going on here. They're going Bernstein on drinky on purpose. Spiegel's displeasure in him asking how they are doing. Mac showing annoyance to drinky's question of "Ya gonna watch the football game tonight, Mackie? Who do you like?"

Mac should not just show annoyance over the question, but truly go Bernstein. Make drinky feel small like if a caller asked the same question of Bernstein.

Mac: Am I gonna watch the game? Of course. What the hell kind of question is that? You know I love the NFL. It's like asking me if I'm gonna breath today. Who's gonna win? The fuck if I know. Why do you care who I think is gonna win anyway? What the hell does it matter who I think is gonna win? You waited 30 minutes between updates to ask me these questions? What the hell is wrong with you? Do me a favor, drinky. If you're going to insist on talking to us, have an interesting thought or question. Got it, champ?

drinky: :oops:

Last edited by Beardown on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
FWIW, this particular bit of petulance isn't something that Bernstein pioneered.

Mac was jumping on callers in the mid-90s for having the nerve to extend a simple pleasantry. He was aggravated at callers for prefacing their call by asking he and Terry how they were. Forget football players, radio hosts are modern day gladiators. I don't think the average person could handle a job in which they didn't watch basketball, got a bunch of free stuff from sponsors, and had to say "We're good." or "Doin' OK." to people who were friendly and courteous to them.

Do people slow clap radio hosts through airports the way they do members of the military? If not, they should.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
FWIW, this particular bit of petulance isn't something that Bernstein pioneered.

Mac was jumping on callers in the mid-90s for having the nerve to extend a simple pleasantry. He was aggravated at callers for prefacing their call by asking he and Terry how they were. Forget football players, radio hosts are modern day gladiators. I don't think the average person could handle a job in which they didn't watch basketball, got a bunch of free stuff from sponsors, and had to say "We're good." or "Doin' OK." to people who were friendly and courteous to them.

Do people slow clap radio hosts through airports the way they do members of the military? If not, they should.

4 to 5 hour workdays will really wear a person out Tad.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Tad Queasy wrote:

Far be it from me to side with Bernstein on this, but I kind of understand his and other hosts' annoyance with the exchange of pleasantries during a call. It's radio, not a personal call, and you have a limited amount of time to make your point, generate conversation, and perhaps make a counterpoint before it's time to move on. Greetings and pleasantries slow that down.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Far be it from me to side with Bernstein on this, but I kind of understand his and other hosts' annoyance with the exchange of pleasantries during a call. It's radio, not a personal call, and you have a limited amount of time to make your point, generate conversation, and perhaps make a counterpoint before it's time to move on. Greetings and pleasantries slow that down.

Cmon vegan, it takes about 3 seconds to get that out of the way. " Hi Dan and Terry, how are you doing?" . Terrible to have to hear that I guess.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I can kind of seeing it getting annoying, but...tough Twinkies. As for it eating into time, the exchange takes all of about 5 seconds and is not preventing the caller or the host from saying anything they want to say.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:14 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Cmon vegan, it takes about 3 seconds to get that out of the way. " Hi Dan and Terry, how are you doing?" . Terrible to have to hear that I guess.

I hear ya, but there's something about interrupting the "flow," if that makes any sense. I'm not in radio, but I've been in situations where I lost my train of thought and focus if I had to repeatedly respond, even for a second or two, to stuff that was not essential to the task at hand. That being said, if I were a host I'd be too ashamed to shout down a caller for simply saying hello and asking how I was doing. I wouldn't do that, but I understand why others do it.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I have the same problem when I combine a fruity chardonnay with my carne adovada. The heartburn kills me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

I agree. Caller should just get on the air and go. But you can just say "fine". Bernstein's non response makes the call go longer cuz then the caller says "Are you guys there? Hello. Hello."

My point is drinky, of all people, should know not to ask how M&S are doing because he's learned from Bernstein how stupid it is. Yet he asks it just like the dumb callers.

And he should also know better than to talk just for the sake of talking. "Are you gonna watch the football game, Mac?" Really? You're the update guy. Just do the update. B&B are fine with drinky's mindless banter and unfunny jokes that make no sense. They allow it. Mac doesn't want it on his show. Drinky should understand this by now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I hear ya, but there's something about interrupting the "flow," if that makes any sense. I'm not in radio, but I've been in situations where I lost my train of thought and focus if I had to repeatedly respond, even for a second or two, to stuff that was not essential to the task at hand. That being said, if I were a host I'd be too ashamed to shout down a caller for simply saying hello and asking how I was doing. I wouldn't do that, but I understand why others do it.

Right. It's better to let drinky interrupt the flow with his inane comments and incessant "dan, dan, dans".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I think of this as a natural habit rather than having anything to do with calling a show. People say how you doing all the time all over the place. It may be annoying but expecting people to turn off natural habits for that call is silly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:20 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

I can kind of seeing it getting annoying, but...tough Twinkies. As for it eating into time, the exchange takes all of about 5 seconds and is not preventing the caller or the host from saying anything they want to say.

Sure, it's only 3-5 seconds at most, but if it happens during six out of ten calls every hour, it can add up. I guess another reason I'd add is there's really no point to a "how are you" question from a caller to a host; it's not like the host is going to answer in detail due to the format, and it becomes an empty formality in the end. So why not just jettison the formalities and get right to the substance? Again I wouldn't act like they do, but I can see the rationale.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
I think of this as a natural habit rather than having anything to do with calling a show. People say how you doing all the time all over the place. It may be annoying but expecting people to turn off natural habits for that call is silly.

It's just a natural and civilized way to begin a call. If it's so horrible, why exchane plesantries with Matt Bowen or Pete Fiutak then? It's just a waste of time. Bowen, just go! Is it really so hard to say, "good"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It's just a natural and civilized way to begin a call.

I'd agree, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way during a radio call. A call from you to your good friend is different than a call to a radio show. It may be the point of the call to your friend is to actually find out how she or he is doing, but that's never the point of a call to a radio station, unless it's some sort of psychiatry hour or something.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
veganfan21 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Textbook definition of "making a mountain out of a molehill".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
The guys who attempt a fake off-the-cuff quip and then stop for a beat or two to allow the laughter to subside are a million times worse than the "How are you?" guys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Of course the obvious thing is that they like to do this and beat up on callers. Any other show if this bothered them that much would have the intern or producer tell these people or even scream at them over and over before the call not to ask how are they doing. But what do I know?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:44 pm 

Im sure its annoying. That's understandable

Best to just power thru with a quick, "Good, what's on your mind Jeff?"

Mac has mastered this for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I will assume Mac's displeasure with talking to Matty on the air is based on reducing his smoke break time. Nothing personal to Matty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:14 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
The guys who attempt a fake off-the-cuff quip and then stop for a beat or two to allow the laughter to subside are a million times worse than the "How are you?" guys.

Yes, very true. This is a staple bit of the Beerstain parrots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

bigfan wrote:
I will assume Mac's displeasure with talking to Matty on the air is based on reducing his smoke break time. Nothing personal to Matty

Not in this particular case. Mac was on the air right after the update. I think they always go back to the show after all updates on all Score shows. Scoreboard updates are a minute or so. Not enough time to grab a smoke. Mac needs a 4 or 5 minute commercial break to run down stairs one would think.

But this isn't the first time I've heard Mac with the annoyed tone when drinky tries to engage him. I don't think it's personal between Mac and Drinky. The thing between drinky and Spiegel is personal. Those two despise each other. They're the modern day version of Murph and Boers.

Mac just doesn't want his show to work that way. He wants drinky to do the updates while he and Spiegel handle the show content. Unless Mac invites drinky in for a conversation, he wants drinky to shut up. He also refuses to suffer drinky's stupid behavior like B&B do.

That's how I read this situation.

Last edited by Beardown on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:02 pm 

FTR I smoke at 18:00 and again at 55:00. Those are the two longer breaks, Usually get at least a half of a 'Boro light in.

I like both Matts. Wasn't bothered in the slightest by Matt A. asking if I was planning on watching the game. Didn't even occur to me that he was doing anything other than being cordial.

You guys analyze a lot. Sometimes some very insightful comments are made here. This is not one of those times. At least, not in my case. You'd have to ask the Matts for their sides of it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

I just notice an annoyed tone when Drinky talks to you sometimes, Mac. You're usually cordial with him. But I can tell you don't like the update guy talking unless you invite him in.