It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Does anyone remember what was supposed to happen the day before his absence on Monday? It was the Bears off week and he was supposed to have programming control during what normally would have been Bears pregame. What happened to that whole thing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Didn't get off the ground. I think Mitch put the kibosh on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I wonder if this is all a well disguised fuck you to him for that. The morning he was talking about it he seemed really into it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:06 pm 

bigfan wrote:
#TheReturn

!! we should buy him a drose jersey!! :cheese:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:08 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
I wonder if this is all a well disguised fuck you to him for that. The morning he was talking about it he seemed really into it.

I don't think so. The idea seemed to lose steam.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 pm 

Score is doomed wrote:

Quote:
* * Also missing in action is Sean Hannity. He's not missing from his national radio show, but he no longer exists on WLS-AM's website... or on most every other Cumulus Media-owned radio station website, as of this week. As announced previously, Cumulus decided to not renew its contract with the Clear Channel distributed show, choosing to instead sign on with the Cumulus distributed show "The Savage Nation with Michael Savage." Savage's show will begin airing in Hannity's time slot beginning in January, while Hannity's show is scheduled to be heard through the remainder of this year. With Hannity's name removed from the WLS-AM schedule, replaced with the words "89 WLS," it hints that the end of Hannity's broadcasts on the station could come sooner than the end of December on the station. Hannity's show will most likely resurface on WIND-AM next year.

I won't miss Hannity at all, but, the Savage Nation? Really? Wow, WLS. Best of luck with that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Score is doomed wrote:

Larz is 100% correct.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 pm 

Scorehead, you buried the lede.

A Chicago Bears radio station?

See ya, ZZ and Laurence !!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Peoria Matt wrote:

Yea, I was going to post about that but didn't get to it. Do sports teams own their own radio stations? What do they broadcast the other 349 days each year?

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:04 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Preface: the below is total speculation on my part.

IMO depression is not just something that happens out of the blue. There are causes/triggers. Of course some people are genetically predisoposed to it, others are not. But if you look at "traditional" cultures (remember the Yanomamo people in 6th grade social studies) researchers find much less evidence of depression, if any at all. So this leads me to believe depression is caused by environmental/societal/behavioral factors related to "modern day life."

Work makes up such a huge part of our lives (even Mac puts in an 8 hour day if you consider commuting and reading the sports page). So it very well could be related to work. Otherwise you are left with homelife. Mac seems to be happily married, but who knows? He's got a son he appears to love. Plenty of TVs and steak.

My guess: he doesn't give a shit about his job or sports in general (except for hockey). He probably feels trapped with a job he hates, but it pays to support his semi-lavish lifestyle along with providing essential support for his relatives. When you are depressed, this feels like you are trapped between two unworkable alternatives and it seems as if you are DOOMED.

He spoke about isolating himself (being mad a game went to OT cause he wanted his buddies to leave so he could be alone) that's a really dark place to be and I'll bet going to work felt awful

He's had a lot of curve balls thrown at him in his life (we all do but ya know....);and made some poor choices

It almost makes sense thast he's depressed, tragically

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:08 am 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
Scorehead wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Yea, I was going to post about that but didn't get to it. Do sports teams own their own radio stations? What do they broadcast the other 349 days each year?

Guys, it's not a real radio station. It's an HD subchannel of 105.9. It's a radio station in the same sense that BollywoodHitsRadio on 93.9-HD3 or whatever is a radio station. It may as well just be an internet stream that happens to be over the air for the infinitesimal slice of the population that can listen to HD subchannels on their radio.

To answer Scorehead's question, the St. Louis Cardinals owned their own station: KTRS, a weak AM stick compared to the blowtorch of KMOX. They may still own it, but they moved their games back to a radio station that people can actually pick up beyond St. Louis County. I believe the Angels own a station as well, KLAA out of Orange, but even they realized the similar folly of this business plan and moved a preponderance of their games back to their traditional flagship of KMPC in Los Angeles.

As for what Bears Radio would air the rest of the year, I can only shudder to think. The Mike Ditka Jr. Show? Bears Anal Access: From The Archives? Laurence Holmes Buys A Pizza? That last one can get you two hours a day if you play your cards right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
Wow I hadn't realized this happened until I wondered why Larry and his Arnold Jackson cackle were on during luchtime food runs.
As much as the nice thing to say is "Mac forget about the job and focus on getting better".....how's that going to work if said job goes away?
It doesn't sound like Mac has been very conservitaive with his money (other than living in NWI).
Hopefully I'm wrong but years of partying, gambling, divorce, child support, lavish vacations, unemployment periods, 2 college aged kids and probably most concerning an adult aged child with autism make that 300k or whatever not seem so great.

Here's hoping he gets well but I'd be less than honest if I didn't say I fear this outcome for him and his family.

P.S. Someone had mentioned something about Larry eventually having a similar undeserved run like Jim Rose has in Chicago television - spot on.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I just wonder if Mac calls it a career, does he come back for one more day or at least a segment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've suffered from alcoholism/addiction and depression for over 25 years. In my case, the drinking and drug abuse brought on the depression. In other cases, people have depression, and become addicted to alcohol/drug in an effort to self medicate. I had a doctor tell me years ago that addiction and depression are soup and sandwich. Medication helps, but it's not a magic cure. I wish Danny Mac the best. It's a bitch that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Let's do it for Johnny!