It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: S&H
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:13 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Kirkwood wrote:
Last week I noticed LoHo has been driving the show and introducing his questionable evening show ideas.

WAIT A SECOND..... does this mean that the greatest recurring segment in the history of the score is coming back? Hamp's very favorite: "Who's Taking A Hit From Michael Phelps' Bong?" -- That segment was transcendentally awesome, as is evidenced by dinosaur Hamp's noticeable disdain for it. He didn't have his fingers on THE PULSE of the chicago sports (talk) scene and thus he had no idea how to program a People's Hour Colon We Do What We Want!

Hater Wednesday will be the giant litmus test to see if the 9-1 show gets Lohoized. I've heard him do that segment on the Mac show (slot) b4 pointing out that he wasn't going to be able to do it on Wednesday nights for a few weeks, so it had to be done. Hater Wednesday is the breakaway star from the whole Loho experience, no doubt as he and others see it as an important bridge to build to a younger demographic.

I'm also gonna miss Laurence's "A-Team" schpeel, complete with the NBC SNF style intros where everyone says their school. I've always conjectured that was a subtle way for Laurence to point out that he's better educated than everyone else involved with the show (especially those guys who went to the broadcasting school sponsor straight out of high school. Notice that nobody can mention the broadcasting school, as they'll sooner say their high school, which of course pales in comparison to everyone @ the station except Duke Bernstein)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
sinicalypse wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Last week I noticed LoHo has been driving the show and introducing his questionable evening show ideas.

WAIT A SECOND..... does this mean that the greatest recurring segment in the history of the score is coming back? Hamp's very favorite: "Who's Taking A Hit From Michael Phelps' Bong?" -- That segment was transcendentally awesome, as is evidenced by dinosaur Hamp's noticeable disdain for it. He didn't have his fingers on THE PULSE of the chicago sports (talk) scene and thus he had no idea how to program a People's Hour Colon We Do What We Want!

Hater Wednesday will be the giant litmus test to see if the 9-1 show gets Lohoized. I've heard him do that segment on the Mac show (slot) b4 pointing out that he wasn't going to be able to do it on Wednesday nights for a few weeks, so it had to be done. Hater Wednesday is the breakaway star from the whole Loho experience, no doubt as he and others see it as an important bridge to build to a younger demographic.

I'm also gonna miss Laurence's "A-Team" schpeel, complete with the NBC SNF style intros where everyone says their school. I've always conjectured that was a subtle way for Laurence to point out that he's better educated than everyone else involved with the show (especially those guys who went to the broadcasting school sponsor straight out of high school. Notice that nobody can mention the broadcasting school, as they'll sooner say their high school, which of course pales in comparison to everyone @ the station except Duke Bernstein)

I forgot all about hater Wednesday.

This is bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Barstool One Bite Frozen
sinicalypse wrote:

Man, you're probably right.

This is a really weak show. Mitch has to realize this, right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 pm 

I think Mitch realizes he doesn't have to pay a new guy. Stay in-house. It's cheaper....quality be damned.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:24 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Beardown wrote:
Laurence Holmes, a 25 year veteran of the station

The man sat ouside the door for 5 years before the station ever went on the air!

He earned this.

Larz doesn't know how to break LoHo news.

No pay sounds like a breach of contract.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Peoria Matt wrote:
I think Mitch realizes he doesn't have to pay a new guy. Stay in-house. It's cheaper....quality be damned.

Bring in Doug Buffone. I think a majority of listeners would love THAT show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:29 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Joe O: I'm free!!!! I'm free!!!!

Terry: Eeeeeeeee Eeeeeeeeeee

I'm laughing too hard at this, and just this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
Man, you're probably right.

This is a really weak show. Mitch has to realize this, right?

you know, i'm in the extreme minority here that has enjoyed my sporadically brief jaunts with the Larry+DURR SPEAGOL experience, but then again that's damning with faint praise because it hasn't compelled me to have anything but those sporadically brief jaunts. If Laurence were to tone down his nighttime show proclivities and do a more straightforward sports talk show with Spiegel I think it'd work out well enough to provide pedestrian ratings that could possibly hold off S+W for a bit.... however I think Laurence believes in his heart of hearts that all of the Lohoisms from the nighttime are his brand and therefore they need to be a part of whatever he does, so here we are with 99% of everyone having proper disdain for this new perma-pairing right out of the chute.

No matter what, Laurence is going to lose that considerable % of McNeil's audience that's there for the "pull up a stool to the saloon" mentality that's been branded alongside "man talk" about grilling, fishing, and of course 8-track-era music that compels the audience to hearken back to their youthful glory days. There's nothing you can do about that, as you don't really have anyone else at the station who can do that show like Danny Mac does.... the problem is that Laurence's audience is probably ~95% holdover people who default to listening to the score all day long and simply didn't turn off their radio, as I can't picture someone out there thinking "man all of this daytime talk is shit, 6 o'clock can't come soon enough... by cracky, i'm ready to drop what i'm doing and SHAKE THAT at the stroke of 6:02 --- so you're not going to gain any new listeners with Laurence... it's only a matter of how many you lose, but if all goes well you won't lose that many and that's acceptable.

In a way, Laurence replacing Danny Mac for the long haul is like the David Moyes experience over @ Manchester United. Midtable mentality for better or worse.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Kirkwood wrote:
Last week I noticed LoHo has been driving the show and introducing his questionable evening show ideas. I checked out last week Wednesday. Must be very frustrating for Spiegel and Crew. I'm not a Spiegel fan but no one deserves this.

Yeah, Holmes started driving the bus last Tuesday or Wednesday. Sitting in the captain's chair now.

One of my main questions would be, why not keep some of the show's crew intact? You definitely could. Put Finfer with Spiegs for the time being. Finfer does a nice job. Then you have Shep on the board, and Zawaski still as EP.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
bigfan wrote:
Guess what Show I wont be listening to.

Actually have heard much more Jurko since this went down, thus noticed the bad ESPn quality of sound

The Score shows sound like they work out of an old tin can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It's hard to fathom Mac not being with the Score, but appears more and more likely. The promos are one reason. The overall direction of the show over the last week is another. Although, there have been signs that Mac really is intending on coming back/Mitch and management are behind Mac. There were a couple Mac references today, and he has been active on Facebook and Twitter still, responding to people's questions and comments.

Also, I believe in late spring, Mac — on this board — said he wanted to do the radio thing another 5-10 years (I think that's what he said). Sure, he was in a better place at the time, but did something shift that dramatically where he couldn't overcome this and come back and fulfill that goal and be where he belongs?

The other part of this is Mac's contract, and health or not, would be done at the Score this summer regardless. He mentioned several times on air recently his deal is up in June. Maybe it was time to part ways anyways (if he does, btw, I expect Mac to team up with Harry at WGN.fm).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Hard to believe this show has been on 4 1/2 years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:58 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:
you know, i'm in the extreme minority here that has enjoyed my sporadically brief jaunts with the Larry+DURR SPEAGOL experience, but then again that's damning with faint praise because it hasn't compelled me to have anything but those sporadically brief jaunts. If Laurence were to tone down his nighttime show proclivities and do a more straightforward sports talk show with Spiegel I think it'd work out well enough to provide pedestrian ratings that could possibly hold off S+W for a bit.... however I think Laurence believes in his heart of hearts that all of the Lohoisms from the nighttime are his brand and therefore they need to be a part of whatever he does, so here we are with 99% of everyone having proper disdain for this new perma-pairing right out of the chute.
a matter of how many you lose, but if all goes well you won't lose that many and that's acceptable.

Here's the problem, Sini.

Holmes at night and Holmes during the day are two completely different people.

At night, he has this weird "love doctor" tone and during the day he's like a hyperactive puppy who can't wait to tell you how much fun you're going to have, how great the guests are going to be, what an awesome job the update people have done along with his endless reminders that you can watch the show online, hit him up on twitter, etc., etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:17 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Spaulding wrote:
Hard to believe this show has been on 4 1/2 years.

& Mac has worked 6 mos. of that.

Actually, I think this is all going to work in Mac's favor. They replace him w/ Larry, so he & Spiegs can kill each other. Then they put Mac on afternoon drive w/ Tiny, replacing a comatose Teery & an institutionalized Bernsie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:30 am 

Out of Left Field:

What makes this interesting is that Corey Mcpheerin at FOX just got pushed out of his morning TV gig. I wonder if the ultimate plan is to add a more polished and professional show with Corey and a partner of his choosing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:31 am 

I don't give a fuck what Corky McPherrin thinks about anything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:35 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't give a fuck what Corky McPherrin thinks about anything.

It would be like a "Tom Shaer" type show. That won't draw you in?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:44 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Dammit, Mac, GET YOUR FUCKING SHIT TOGETHER AND GET BACK IN THERE!

C'mon, man.

You can't half-step - or no-step, like this.

If anything, do it for your kids - don't let them see you being weak - it might fuck them up later on, too.

COME ON BACK, DANNY MAC!
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Addiction is a horrible thing. I hope Mac can someday beat this.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Pete's
Peoria Matt wrote:
during the day he's like a hyperactive puppy who can't wait to tell you how much fun you're going to have, how great the guests are going to be, what an awesome job the update people have done along with his endless reminders that you can watch the show online, hit him up on twitter, etc., etc.

That's a good way to kill four hours. Standard talk radio. You forgot to mention spending the last hour of the show talking about how great the guests were, what an awesome job the update people did, and constant reminders that dan and Uncle Teary are up next.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Just listen for the death pauses from Spiegs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I think the technically not paying Mac could simply be that they have shifted him to short term disability. Pretty standard for corporations if you will be gone a while.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Changing the name of the show is a big FU to Mac. There has to be bad blood about this. You would never do that to a guy taking care of personal issues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:02 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Changing the name of the show is a big FU to Mac. There has to be bad blood about this. You would never do that to a guy taking care of personal issues.

Agree, this is a Rod Zimmerman issue is my guess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

Yeah, there definitely has to be more to it than that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
This outcome was obvious the day he didn't show up for work after vacation.

"Just showing up is 80% of the job."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
This outcome was obvious the day he didn't show up for work after vacation.

"Just showing up is 80% of the job."

I am blown away by your ability to show up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I mostly get a chance to listen to the station in the morning between 8:30-10:30. I like Mac and I like Meat. But I just can't listen with Leary. I just can't do it. This whole thing sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Tomorrow's show will be H&B(uffone).

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
spmack wrote:
Tomorrow's show will be H&B(uffone).

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't post enough emoticons to properly express my amusement about that pairing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 pm 

Franky T wrote:
I mostly get a chance to listen to the station in the morning between 8:30-10:30. I like Mac and I like Meat. But I just can't listen with Leary. I just can't do it. This whole thing sucks.

usually tuned in around 12, havent in weeks. Frustrated